Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Working my way through ARR free trial hoping to get to Shadowbringers sometime around next year lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i played arr but will not be playing shadowbringers as it has no playstation trophies. can hardly be the best game ever with no trophies

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shadowbringers 5.2 and 5.3 (not the whole expansion just the patches that came out this year) is easily in my top 3 games of 2020. 5.35 and 5.4 (if it comes in before the end of the year) might just nudge it over the top

Like, I binged through all of 5.3 in 10 hours and it felt like a complete storygame lol

Edit: like this scene linked for XIV 5.3 spoilers is one of my top hypest moments in an FF

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 19, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Shadowbringers became the best Final Fantasy of the last decade by just being a Shin Megami Tensei game.

Makes you think.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

i played arr but will not be playing shadowbringers as it has no playstation trophies. can hardly be the best game ever with no trophies

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Leal posted:

Yeah gently caress Zenos

Tbh he sucks too.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

A game where in which not every character was standing right next to a thrift store explosion before the intro; truly the final fantasy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't think Shadowbringers is a best-ever plot but it has a very impressive scope and is tied together reasonably well. As far as 'best Final Fantasy of the past decade'... yeah I agree but a lot of that is because the other stuff was in such a dire state.

I'm saying this as someone who plays FF14 semi-casually with an active sub. It's good! But even with the trimmed down ARR it's still a lot of time to get to the good instead of the mediocre, and I don't begrudge anyone who has a much better and more fulfilling use of 30+ hours just to rush to Heavensward.

Instead let's talk about how the FF7Remake battle system is amazing and very accessible and anyone who doesn't like it is wack.

That's actually my only concern for FF16 right now, 7R is actually very accessible if you understand how pausing works but that doesn't translate well to a spectacle fighter like DMC short of turning down the difficulty.

14 splits its end-of-expansion optional bosses (regular Raids) into 'normal' for casual people like me not coordinating properly with a party, and 'Savage' for people actually in a proper group. Savage naturally gives better rewards and cosmetics and that's fine, but I'm not a fan of the fact that modern Savage fights don't just include more complex and tighter mechanics, but entire new phases and things you never get to see in the normal mode. The last boss of the current raid tier has three 'costumes' with unique moves, for lack of a better word, and you only get to see two of those in the regular difficulty which I think is a bit of a shame.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm still slowly working through Stormblood (which, compared to Heavensward, is slow as gently caress) but people in this and the FFXIV thread have built my expectations for Shadowbringers to wild, unattainable levels.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

People overstate it's greatness a little imo but it's genuinely the high point of FF14 so far and a great JRPG in general, if not quite in the GOAT tier

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Attitude Indicator posted:

A game where in which not every character was standing right next to a thrift store explosion before the intro; truly the final fantasy.

Hey, that wasn't true in XV.

All the party members shopped at the same 'high fashion, apparently' store, and then Ardyn saw these four unoccupied, ominously ticking thrift stores all next to each other and went 'jackpot'.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am working through patch content which is apparently where Shadowbringers really takes off. But it already has minus points for having the same pacing problem as the other expansions where some of the final zones don't introduce or iterate on any stakes or plot points and are purely MMO filler, and then invents a completely new pacing issue where you are in an entire zone meant to plot dump stuff that should have been sprinkled through out the rest of the game and expansions.

It's still compelling stuff when compared with other Final Fantasy but most striking because you can set a clock on the FF14 plots and if you set an alarm to sleep through the 2/3 to 3/4 points you can be sure you missed nothing important.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zedprime posted:

It's still compelling stuff when compared with other Final Fantasy but most striking because you can set a clock on the FF14 plots and if you set an alarm to sleep through the 2/3 to 3/4 points you can be sure you missed nothing important.

I thought the first half of Heavensward was the best part of it (including the patches) because it felt like a classic RPG party roadtrip, complete with character developing asides and inter-party bickering. It's really great, and I almost forgot I was playing an MMO at points.

When the Garleans turned up to look vaguely menacing and ultra-pope absorbed the dragon lifestream to become super-ultra-mega-pope I started to lose interest. Luckily the patch content was a lot better.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

stev posted:

I thought the first half of Heavensward was the best part of it (including the patches) because it felt like a classic RPG party roadtrip, complete with character developing asides and inter-party bickering. It's really great, and I almost forgot I was playing an MMO at points.
I agree, it felt like I was on a proper fantasy journey with a party that gets to know each other.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
How does the MMO aspect work if it can feel like you're just playing a single player game? Genuine question, never played it or rewlly any other MMOs beyond a couple of hours in some old, free ones.

I'm not really interested in playing an MMO but I'm interested in playing a good Final Fantasy

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Paperhouse posted:

How does the MMO aspect work if it can feel like you're just playing a single player game? Genuine question, never played it or rewlly any other MMOs beyond a couple of hours in some old, free ones.

I'm not really interested in playing an MMO but I'm interested in playing a good Final Fantasy

You get matched with people for dungeons and bosses. Generally you just say hi at the beginning and thanks at the end.

The MMO stuff comes out more if you engage with housing or the marketboard, but you don’t have to interact that much with other people if you don’t want to

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

stev posted:

When the Garleans turned up to look vaguely menacing and ultra-pope absorbed the dragon lifestream to become super-ultra-mega-pope I started to lose interest. Luckily the patch content was a lot better.

...thinking about this, actually, what do the Garleans DO in Heavensward, aside from 'kill Ysayle' and 'turn up to be Good Guy Fascists in the Warring Triad storyline'? I don't remember any other presence of theirs, which kinda smells of 'we had to write them in so you wouldn't forget about them'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 19, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unfortunately FF14 is still an MMO and you have to put up with hours of boring busywork quests to get to the good bits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a shame that no other games have ever succeeded at simply bringing the player character up to the current storyline.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

exquisite tea posted:

It's a shame that no other games have ever succeeded at simply bringing the player character up to the current storyline.

I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not, but... well, that is available as a 'story skip' thing you can buy from the real-money store in FFXIV, but using one is generally advised against for a first-time player. Most expansion stories aren't actually entirely independent from each other but rather part of one greater thing, and benefit from that. Shadowbringers isn't good because of independently being a good story (although yeah, it's not bad), it gets that high because it's building on pre-existing characters, concepts, and figures.

If you want to experience Shadowbringers but have no interest whatsoever in playing the rest of the game (which is good, but not AS good), just save yourself the trouble and go play a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game, because if you don't have that previous grounding then it'll just seem like a fairly thin Megaten at best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I was not aware there was a level skip feature for FFXIV, I thought you had to go through the boring stuff no matter what.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

exquisite tea posted:

I was not aware there was a level skip feature for FFXIV, I thought you had to go through the boring stuff no matter what.

There are, separately in the Mogstation (so you pay real money), story skips to get you to the start of either Heavensward or Stormblood (not Shadowbringers), and level skips to get your character up to level 70 (start of Shadowbringers) on a particular job. If you buy a story skip without a level skip then you still have to level up to the point where that part of the story starts, and if you buy a level skip without a story skip then you still have to do the content you're now several levels above.

Both are generally disadvised for new players, because getting dropped into the game at level 70 with no idea what's going on is generally a bad experience for yourself and others who end up on a team with you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

exquisite tea posted:

You can pay for it. And when you do you, you'll probably piss off every single person you play with because you probably don't know jack poo poo, you will gently caress up a lot because you didn't get the learning of the various tells that everyone knows from having played the game to that point, you don't know your class, and basically everyone will know you skipped and will treat you like a leper for doing it. Also, you just won't get things in Shadowbringers if you didn't play ARR, hell, there's poo poo in Shadowbringers calling back to poo poo from 1.0

Like, it's not even jumping into "Game 4 of 4" and wondering why you don't care about anyone, or know why you're there or anything, because each collection of patches also basically equals a game, so it's more like jumping into Game 7 of almost-8 And wondering what's going on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah ARR might be "boring" but it teaches you the fundamentals of the battle system and how to play your job bit by bit so you won't get overwhelmed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't know delivering boxes back and forth could get so complex!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

People also massively overstate how bad ARR is. It's definitely the low point and there's 20 levels worth of story stretched across 50, but it's still a more coherent and well presented story than any WoW expansion.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ARR isn't even that boring, it just has a lot of bullshit low-stakes quests between big plot beats (and IIRC a lot of these quests were trimmed out recently?), and the overall plot beats aren't quite as epic as the stuff that comes later, though there's plenty of exciting stuff going on. It's definitely worth playing through.

Also the learning curve is not very steep - the fundamentals are fairly basic, and while the jobs are all pretty different, the overall systems are simple enough that you can pick up an entirely new job and pretty quickly get to "oh ok I get how this works"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

stev posted:

People also massively overstate how bad ARR is. It's definitely the low point and there's 20 levels worth of story stretched across 50, but it's still a more coherent and well presented story than any WoW expansion.

The trimming of ARR last patch also did an enormous amount of good by basically just cutting out every single quest that didn't contribute to the greater story in some way, and taking out extraneous steps from a bunch of other ones. No quest is really pointless anymore; if part of the main quest is there, it's for a reason, even if that reason might not be obvious right now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

Whichever Alexander is the one with the trumpet intro fucks me up every time. The one where you need to hide behind the legs. Soken earned every ounce of praise he’s gotten for FFXIV. The leitmotifs especially. It’s outstanding.

*soken not “some”

Metal ~Brute Justice Mode~.

It also has the goblin children of the world cheering for brute justice as the kick that goes into the chorus. "BRUTE JUSTICE TRANCE MOOOOODE!" they cheer out, calling for Brute Justice to defeat the wicked uplanders.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Metal ~Brute Justice Mode~.

It also has the goblin children of the world cheering for brute justice as the kick that goes into the chorus. "BRUTE JUSTICE TRANCE MOOOOODE!" they cheer out, calling for Brute Justice to defeat the wicked uplanders.
https://clips.twitch.tv/VibrantGlutenFreeNightingaleM4xHeh
https://clips.twitch.tv/GentleAgileDogeVoteNay

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't know delivering boxes back and forth could get so complex!
One of the "good" parts of FF14 MMO design is that by the expansions they've completely dispensed with WOW like quest structure in 75% of the main quests and your entire gameplay outside of instances is running point to point. There's like 1-2 bear butt story quests per map and the rest are optional for leveling alt classes. 95% of your gameplay based attention is spent on perfecting your rotation and mechanics dances in the instances.

Scare quotes good because if it sounds like the good part about FF14 is that it doesn't have gameplay for most of the story that's because its true for better and worse. Its either awesome or the worst because its a VN that you match make to run an instance every so often.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I dunno if this person is inclined to do Ultimate but I hope they at least get to see The Epic of Alexander (Ultimate)'s final form reveal

Spoilers obviously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeKbCcq9gT8

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jessse Cox is extremely good value for money. Do not watch this unless you are 100% up to date on XIV patch content:

This is speculation he made after having completed the Crystal Tower and Moenbryda arc in 2.x. Hilariously on point.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HorribleSpotlessFalconDeIlluminati

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

One of the "good" parts of FF14 MMO design is that by the expansions they've completely dispensed with WOW like quest structure in 75% of the main quests and your entire gameplay outside of instances is running point to point. There's like 1-2 bear butt story quests per map and the rest are optional for leveling alt classes. 95% of your gameplay based attention is spent on perfecting your rotation and mechanics dances in the instances.

Scare quotes good because if it sounds like the good part about FF14 is that it doesn't have gameplay for most of the story that's because its true for better and worse. Its either awesome or the worst because its a VN that you match make to run an instance every so often.

Except those instances are the majority of gameplay past catching up on the plot. Either while leveling or just gearing for end game content or just doing endgame content. I've probably spent more time inside roulette instances than not at this point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Generally you just say hi at the beginning and thanks at the end.

Wow look at this social butterfly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

Wow look at this social butterfly.

The preferred method of communication is customized macros with moogles, sound effects, etc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

The preferred method of communication is customized macros with moogles, sound effects, etc.

<se.7> <se.7> DUTY COMMENCED IS THE READY CHECK <se.7> <se.7>
<se.11> CALL THIS PARTY THE BATHROOM CAUSE I'M READY TO WIPE <se.11>

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I still think it's a little strange that Square built such a well-regarded story as side content in their mahjong client.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

nrook posted:

I still think it's a little strange that Square built such a well-regarded story as side content in their mahjong client.

Yeah they made this very nice chocobo breeding sim with a racing minigame and I guess there's some side story I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nrook posted:

Sega did the exact same thing, multiple times. Weird.