Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Endorph posted:

ExDeath isnt a complex character but he's a cool evil wizard with a good design and a bonkers backstory. For a game like FF5 that's all you really need.

It's a cool touch that his final transformation is done unwillingly. And the nonsense he spits during the fight are still some of my favorite boss lines. They're just gibberish that you can imagine a character like Exdeath yelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

TheHoosier posted:

It's a cool touch that his final transformation is done unwillingly. And the nonsense he spits during the fight are still some of my favorite boss lines. They're just gibberish that you can imagine a character like Exdeath yelling

Faris giving exdeath the finger in that screen shot is pretty good

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Exdeath is my favorite villain. He's literally a monster so no need to humanize him. His backstory is explicit and straightforward. His goal is clear (when it is revealed to the party anyway). He even achieves his goals repeatedly, even if he couldn't control the Void.

Also his nemesis is a sarcastic turtle and it rules.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Exdeath fight in FFXIV kicks rear end too and it's crazy how much detail they kept in, including (indirectly) the sarcastic turtle, and the fact that he can't control the void and gets transformed against his will

The Kefka fight in that game is honestly impressive as well; the detail on the statues during the initial phases, the complete remake of the entire Dancing Mad suite...it's really cool

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"...and that's why there are like 4 sets of tiddies on my final form!"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm very pumped to see some 14 esque fantasy in a new mainline game, and I hope that decap blood scene means we'll get some tactics level brutality.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kingtheninja posted:

I hope that decap blood scene means we'll get some tactics level brutality.

I want it all to be like this

https://twitter.com/SchwahnMichael/status/1306644574350106625

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I think that quote specifically is a warning that you’re about to get hit with Almagest, but it’s stuck with me a lot over the insane amount of time it’s been since I cleared the GBA port

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Last Celebration posted:

I think that quote specifically is a warning that you’re about to get hit with Almagest, but it’s stuck with me a lot over the insane amount of time it’s been since I cleared the GBA port

It’s for Grand Cross, the move that hits you with a bunch of status ailments

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So FFXVI was going to be for PC, and the trailer explicitly says it's from a PC version, but now it's PS5 only?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chronojam posted:

So FFXVI was going to be for PC, and the trailer explicitly says it's from a PC version, but now it's PS5 only?

They're lying to sell PS5s. :ssh:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

stev posted:

They're lying to sell PS5s. :ssh:

Yeah there hasn't been a FF game to not make it to pc at this point. Even ff7r was a timed exclusive for PS4 and will probably come out on PC when it hits Xbox.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah there hasn't been a FF game to not make it to pc at this point. Even ff7r was a timed exclusive for PS4 and will probably come out on PC when it hits Xbox.

There's actually been a scant few 'main' FFs that aren't on PC at all!

It's 1, 2, and Tactics. All three are on Android and iOS, though; that's acceptable for 1 and 2, but holy poo poo is Tactics' UI not built for phones. Which is a shame, because I do want to play Tactics sometime.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cleretic posted:

that's acceptable for 1 and 2, but holy poo poo is Tactics' UI not built for phones. Which is a shame, because I do want to play Tactics sometime.

It’s ok. iOS is the platform I first beat Tactics on.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

WaltherFeng posted:

Emperor Gestahl is a dog and you can't convince me otherwise

wait
he's not :stare:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one that got FF7 for the switch just for the novelty of playing it on a Nintendo console? That port honestly blew my mind.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Violet_Sky posted:

Am I the only one that got FF7 for the switch just for the novelty of playing it on a Nintendo console? That port honestly blew my mind.

I got VIII on the Switch for that reason.

I really need to get around to playing it, FFXIV stuff and the new Paper Mario got in the way.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I hope whoever was in charge of the Hildebrand quest lines in FFXIV is on the writing staff of xvi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

wait
he's not :stare:
hes an old man with brown skin and white hair. however the way his beard is drawn on his ff6 snes sprite looks like a dog with sagging cheeks, and the sides of his hair look like floppy ears.

if you look at his gba portrait you can see those elements and how they got to what they looked like on the snes sprite

this is compounded by the fact that ff6 does have wolfmen and such just wandering around towns. so the emperor being a dogperson seems entirely plausible.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Endorph posted:

hes an old man with brown skin and white hair. however the way his beard is drawn on his ff6 snes sprite looks like a dog with sagging cheeks, and the sides of his hair look like floppy ears.

if you look at his gba portrait you can see those elements and how they got to what they looked like on the snes sprite

this is compounded by the fact that ff6 does have wolfmen and such just wandering around towns. so the emperor being a dogperson seems entirely plausible.

Yeah, I only played the SNES FF6 so it was a bit weird having a dog emperor but no the weirdest thing in game. Well, the more you know.jpeg

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

For the longest time I thought Dr. Tot in ff9 was a bird person because of his giant nose, and, like, animal people weren’t that uncommon in that game, but no, turns out dude just has a big schnozz.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

For the longest time I thought Dr. Tot in ff9 was a bird person because of his giant nose, and, like, animal people weren’t that uncommon in that game, but no, turns out dude just has a big schnozz.

what the gently caress

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never thought Gestahl was a dog but I absolutely did think Tot was a bird-man.

Sakurazuka posted:

what the gently caress

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I looked up the art and it’s honestly pretty ambiguous but I think he’s a bird man if only because he has webbed claws for hands and not just normal person hands. His beak definitely looks like a giant cartoony nose tho.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

I looked up the art and it’s honestly pretty ambiguous but I think he’s a bird man if only because he has webbed claws for hands and not just normal person hands. His beak definitely looks like a giant cartoony nose tho.

I don’t know how to post the actual image without the image hosting service breaking the link on mobile, but the nostrils are where they’d be on a human nose and he has a li’l mustache. Also it’s very much flesh colored. I dunno.

Man, I really wish I knew what happened to my copy of the ff9 art book. It was, to my knowledge, the most comprehensive released from square at the time, and it had good poo poo in there like unreleased Amano watercolors and concept art for virtually every character in the game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Ultimania Archive says Tot's human, and it's not like any of the other humans in the game look particularly realistic either so he just has a huge nose and weird hosed up hands

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Tot is Tot

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Blank is basically Frankenstein's Monster with more parts sewn together.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Blank is basically Frankenstein's Monster with more parts sewn together.

Yeah, and I love how it’s never explained in the slightest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought Tot was wearing one of those plague doctor's masks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I guess I'm the weird one because I always saw Tot as having a big nose, not a beak.

Also Blank was kind of weird-looking but I never noticed the stitches, I always just thought the headband covering his eyes was weird

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I never realized Tot just had a huge nose and a gigantic mustache and poo poo is hosed man its hosed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he's a mole man, they exist, don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just found out you can learn what characters look like by using your eyeballs.

Wild poo poo, man.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Just found out Final Fantasy is a famous series of video games and not a mid-tier fast casual restaurant.

Boy is my face red.

Also where have I been eating.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Who's Doctor Tot?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zower of Tot

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

What would Kuja look like if he had a beard

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

What would Kuja look like if he had a beard

She wouldn't fool anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Red Red Blue posted:

Who's Doctor Tot?

Ligma balls.