Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Never played FF6 but hear it's amazing so I wanted to check it out. Is there one version/port that's widely regarded as the best?

snes9x

have y'all played FF6: T-Edition yet? have I already splurged to the thread that it's available fully in English now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

GBA is probably the best since it fixes a ton of errors and bugs, plus has more content

yeah but it butchers the audio, in a game where the soundtrack is one of the greatest in all of video games

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bleck posted:

yeah but it butchers the audio, in a game where the soundtrack is one of the greatest in all of video games

This is fixable with a patch, though. Whereas the mobile/Steam port has good audio, but bad visuals, and to the best of my knowledge you can't fix that one.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

snes9x

have y'all played FF6: T-Edition yet? have I already splurged to the thread that it's available fully in English now

Someone mentioned it a while back. I gave it a try, it's good. I didn't get too far though. I'll probably wait to really get into it until after I finish my ongoing FFX run.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Someone mentioned it a while back. I gave it a try, it's good. I didn't get too far though. I'll probably wait to really get into it until after I finish my ongoing FFX run.

it was probably me. I'm in the World of Ruin and there is a loving abundance of content, definitely finish FFX first

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You should just play FF6 emulated and enjoy the antiquated sounding translation, rather than the horribly embarrassing R-rated fan translations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

it was probably me. I'm in the World of Ruin and there is a loving abundance of content, definitely finish FFX first

If said content doesn't include Iscar Matthias I'm not interested, we've been denied his presence long enough

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s worth noting that the SNES translation of the game just straight up gets poo poo wrong a bunch, which, given the insane conditions Woolsey was working under, is more than understandable, but it’s something to keep in mind if you don’t just patch the SNES OST into the GBA version.

Also I thought the GBA script was great and had a lot of respect for the SNES one without ever seeming dry but that’s just me!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

As mentioned the GBA one adds bonus content and fixes the translation - people who grew up with the original might be nostalgic for its translation quirks, but the GBA one is better for a new player IMO. You can very easily find the GBA rom pre-patched via Google.

I converted it to a 3DS Virtual Console format and it looks reeeeal nice on a 2dsxl screen.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Tim Rodgers, who apparently has some insider knowledge when it comes to Square employees tv preferences, says they still really loving love GoT, so uh, take that as you will.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Tim Rodgers, who apparently has some insider knowledge when it comes to Square employees tv preferences, says they still really loving love GoT, so uh, take that as you will.

M-m-m-m-maybe they mean .. maybe they mean the books?? Please?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

Ah, that's right, I forgot about spinoffs.

Though I definitely got Type-0 vibes from the trailer overall, what with the warring nations that have their own crystals and the generally dark, violent imagery.

What were the main complaints about Type-0, anyway? I never played it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That was already very evident from FFXIV.

jokes posted:

M-m-m-m-maybe they mean .. maybe they mean the books?? Please?

Not sure if it's Square themselves or just Koji Fox but most of the GoT references/thievery in FFXIV are more aligned to the books than the show. Urianger is a walking ASOIAF soundboard.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

You should just play FF6 emulated and enjoy the antiquated sounding translation, rather than the horribly embarrassing R-rated fan translations.

what is this in reference to

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

stev posted:

Urianger is a walking ASOIAF soundboard.

Yeah but it's softened by the fact that he gets called out on it multiple times

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

stev posted:

That was already very evident from FFXIV.

Not sure if it's Square themselves or just Koji Fox but most of the GoT references/thievery in FFXIV are more aligned to the books than the show. Urianger is a walking ASOIAF soundboard.

Yeah, I always disliked the blatant GRRMisms in FFXIV, even though most of the rest of the translation was real charming. I’m glad I haven’t encountered “fat with child” as a term for pregnancy because, like... it’s the single most grrm thing I can think of and it would take me out of the scene.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

snes9x

Where? The patches I've seen translate the menus and some character names, but break up the dialogue-making it even more difficult to read.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Bregor posted:

Find a PSP emulator and play Tactics Ogre instead.

That game becomes more and more inferior to FFT the longer you play it. I don't know what SE was thinking with some of the side quest design and skill mechanics in that remake.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bell_ posted:

Where? The patches I've seen translate the menus and some character names, but break up the dialogue-making it even more difficult to read.

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/topic/1119-t-edition-english-lua-version-requires-windowswine-snes9x-rr/

in coordination with the translator who did that stuff, a programmer has made a lua script that works with a special version of snes9x that can use those. the lua script is just a file you run after booting up the ROM and it all basically Just Works

everything should be explained in that post, but if you post here or especially get on the NG+ discord, I or they can help you

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

being made for the psp

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the story and characters in TO are generally better than Tactics, but the mechanics and gameplay in Tactics are by far superior.

TO is probably worth playing just for that, but there will be a lot of tedious poo poo you need to go through. Getting into the postgame and some of the sidequests will also take a special kind of devotion. I thought I could handle it but it broke me.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/topic/1119-t-edition-english-lua-version-requires-windowswine-snes9x-rr/

in coordination with the translator who did that stuff, a programmer has made a lua script that works with a special version of snes9x that can use those. the lua script is just a file you run after booting up the ROM and it all basically Just Works

everything should be explained in that post, but if you post here or especially get on the NG+ discord, I or they can help you
Thank you. It's the additional lua script I actually needed. The RAR otherwise had a ton of folders and stuff accomplishing absolutely nothing.

I have to wonder where they're finding new resources or if they're composing them from scratch. I noted the music change as soon as I entered Narshe's mines.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Who plays postgame, except as a test of how you did during the game? Like, grinding out ultimate weapons and poo poo? I never understood that aspect of FF games. I could see, for example, Shinryu/Omega in FFV being more of a test of whether or not you're strong enough and/or have the right items/jobs to solve that puzzle. But poo poo like Yiazmat?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

clearly awful fantasy 3

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I’m glad I haven’t encountered “fat with child” as a term for pregnancy because, like... it’s the single most grrm thing I can think of and it would take me out of the scene.

Grrm clearly needed some women editors to help him out

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Idkbutlike2 posted:

That game becomes more and more inferior to FFT the longer you play it. I don't know what SE was thinking with some of the side quest design and skill mechanics in that remake.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think the story and characters in TO are generally better than Tactics, but the mechanics and gameplay in Tactics are by far superior.

TO is probably worth playing just for that, but there will be a lot of tedious poo poo you need to go through. Getting into the postgame and some of the sidequests will also take a special kind of devotion. I thought I could handle it but it broke me.

Yeah it's this. PSP TO is a very enjoyable game if you just go through one or two the main story routes and don't fret about getting every character/item/class. But then again I'm talking to FF Megathread posters so that's probably impossible.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I think FF6:Brave New World had some cringe-worthy cursing added to the script, at least the version I played a few years ago.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bregor posted:

Yeah it's this. PSP TO is a very enjoyable game if you just go through one or two the main story routes and don't fret about getting every character/item/class. But then again I'm talking to FF Megathread posters so that's probably impossible.

The problem i has with that game is that even just trying to play normally can be a slog because of how halfassed stuff like class changing is. Honestly from a pure gameplay standpoint that game is a mess of contradictory systems (we put in class marks so you can swap your guys’ classes around to fit your needs! but also we have an ability point system so you can’t just swap in a new recruit into Terror Knight without any caveats! And also new classes aren’t at leveled at all, they’re level 1! Even the unique classes like Law Vyse!) to the point where it must of been all new people working on everything but the presentation and story.

Also I like the story well enough but chunks of it happen around the MC or while he’s offscreen so it’s hard to be invested compared to Ramza in FFT, but that’s partly subjective so whatevs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It controlled like rear end, same as every PSP pretending to be a big console game. Adding a right sick for the ports didn't help since it wasn't designed for it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yeah, I always disliked the blatant GRRMisms in FFXIV, even though most of the rest of the translation was real charming. I’m glad I haven’t encountered “fat with child” as a term for pregnancy because, like... it’s the single most grrm thing I can think of and it would take me out of the scene.

It was fun playing Heavenward and seeing people's reactions to Dusk Vigil when it finally clicked for them that pretty much everything about the dungeon was a ASOIAF reference. Thought it usually didn't take long considering the quick connection of Dusk Vigil = Night Watch and that the place was full of ice zombies.

The PSX version of TO plays better than the PSP version if for no other reason than you can just let a pair of clerics punch each other for levels while you do something else, then come back, get your actual team up to level whatever you need them at, and just play the game from there. Then in the late game you can pick your poison for just how badly you want to break the game over your knee. Grab Wipeout from Radlum and call it a day? Dive to pick up Starion and other spells? Retissue+Animate some generics in to literal super gods and then snap dragon one of them in to a weapon so powerful it can shatter planets? Actually played through the neutral route for some reason and decided you hate yourself enough to use Shamans and their Forbidden magic? Or maybe you want to keep yourself "modest" by leveling character with the Warrior gear on so they can get to 100 LUCK and dodge/crit constantly but for "normal" amounts of damage.

PSP one has some major improvements but holy poo poo the grind (and crafting tedium) is pure insanity.

TO needs a remake of the remake and to tone down a lot of that stuff, including allowing you to craft in bulk or just say "make this item and consume all the raw mats instead of making me craft 4907309 components first" and not having that god awful individual class leveling poo poo unless they add minimum levels for new classes based on your class lvl average or something.

TO's story is far and away better than FFT's retelling of the War of the Roses. The Ogre Battle games in general have real good stories. The amount of story content in MOTBQ on SNES was insane and even with a guide you need multiple playthroughs to see it (or the various endings). MOTBQ getting a remake with the TO WORLD system would be interesting.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bell_ posted:

Thank you. It's the additional lua script I actually needed. The RAR otherwise had a ton of folders and stuff accomplishing absolutely nothing.

I have to wonder where they're finding new resources or if they're composing them from scratch. I noted the music change as soon as I entered Narshe's mines.

no prob! if you haven't in a while, grab the newest HTML files, they're very helpful and I always have them open as I play

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yeah I’ve tried playing Tactics Ogre a couple of times and about midway through I start looking for the cheats and about two quests into the post game I bail out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

MOTBQ getting a remake with the TO WORLD system would be interesting.

:yeshaha:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

On the other hand, all the Hamilton references in Stormblood have instantly aged to dust

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so is ps1 final fantasy 2 really that bad, i have it on disc as part of the origins collection and i've only ever done the intro on nes and this version and i've already beat ff1 in origins but i hear how terrible the levelling up is, is it doable or is all the complaining i've heard over the years just from people who dont wanna engage with it? should i just bite the bullet and emulate the psp version, which i hear is MP based with proper levelling now?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've tried to play Tactics Ogre like three times but I've never gotten very far because the gameplay is awful. Like, I dunno, I hate playing that game. Maybe the story's good, but the parts I saw anyway weren't good enough to be worth punishing myself with the rest of it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1264281108348375041

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Sakurazuka posted:

It controlled like rear end, same as every PSP pretending to be a big console game. Adding a right sick for the ports didn't help since it wasn't designed for it.

It looks like rear end, too, suffering from "upscaled handheld game" syndrome. And yet I'm still considering going back to attempt another playthrough...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bregor posted:

I think FF6:Brave New World had some cringe-worthy cursing added to the script, at least the version I played a few years ago.

Yeah it was that but it later offered a alternate patch that removes that stuff because it was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the other hand, all the Hamilton references in Stormblood have instantly aged to dust

Haven’t done SB, suddenly very nervous about progressing in game.

On a completely unrelated tangent, I hope Ffxvi isn’t just misery for misery’s sake. Like, in a world where a lot of the player base is LIVING Crushing bleakness, I want a story with some semblance of hope at the end. Idk, I just think rubbing people’s face in the carpet and screaming “the world is a cold, unfeeling march into tragedy, nothing you do will change this!” Isn’t a winning message when a lot of folks are suffering For Real.

Then again, plenty of people feel that that kind of mirror to reality is cathartic, so what do I know.