Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I... kind of like FFXII’s character designs? In the same way lovely b-movies can still be enjoyable. I will defend to the death the notion that XII’s environments are top notch though. Iirc the same team that worked on that game worked on FFIX, which has has my favorite design aesthetic of the entire series.

100% agree there should have been more non-human party members. I was really pulling for a nu mou, but there’s like, exactly one in the whole game and he’s tucked away in the guild hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I mean, it looks like will still get one good game out of this...

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

What was the tutorial house again?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Will the turtle’s paradise flyers be in the remake??

This is important.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So, I watched a stream of shadowbringers because everyone is heaping praise on it as the best ff anything since 10, and I was curious but didn’t want to commit to a time sink mmo just yet. I am now completely sold. The end of the main story quest has one of the dumbest, yet awesome segments I’ve ever seen, back to back with one of the most genuinely interesting, thought out sections I’ve seen in a final fantasy game.

by this I mean the stable genius plan of building a talos the size of Mount Everest with a workforce the size of a football team, using magic and manual loving labor, which I seems like trying to design, build, and launch a Saturn V rocket and attempt a moon landing in under a day. It was the most ridiculous goddamn thing but you better believe I was there for all of it. This is then juxtaposed with amaurot, and the details of the final days of the world, solving the mysteries regarding the ascians society, sectarian disputes, powers over physical reality itself; I was intrigued throughout.

I know I spoiled the poo poo out of myself but I’ve never really been bothered by spoilers and now I’m really interested to see how the rest of the game builds up to that point.

Is this playable on ps4? I assume you need some kind of keyboard peripheral. If the pc experience is a must I’ll wait until I can finish building my desktop.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

My favorite part is that Cloud Frog has a tiny buster sword on his back.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There probably isn't a ton of Red XIII to show. Dude is around for like one boss battle.

I think it’s three total, four if you include both robots in the elevator battle.

Anyway I am still absolutely stoked by how much variety it looks like the environments have, and I’m really glad they decided to go with the semi-cartoony look, which reminds me of one of my favorite anecdotes about FF7R’s messy development.

Apparently they originally wanted to make everything as photorealistic as possible. Basically the full game was supposed to look like the very first e3 trailer with people that looked like normal dudes you’d find milling around NYC. It probably took only two or three seconds of thought to realize that this game is practically nothing but GOOFY-rear end poo poo! At some point someone must have chipped in with “you know at a certain point cloud gets launched several stories by a dolphin, right?”, which immediately prompted a major design overhaul.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Cloud falling into the livestream in a wheelchair, dressed to the nines.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I mean, the turnaround for the ffxiii sequels was pretty good, wasn’t it?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Final Fantasy loving owns.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I found out yesterday that they are making a live action tv series based on final fantasy XIV for Netflix. The news originally broke in June but one of the updates mentioned that they have the scripts together and are now scouting for a director.

Wild poo poo.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I’m mostly just miffed when clicking on one of them fucks up my YouTube recs for weeks.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

zedprime posted:

I bet you losers didn't even think about what photo you wanted to take with you,

It wasn’t even a choice, cup noodles like literally everyone else who played the game.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah man and in GTA I totally run around with leopard print speedos and a purple dildo in my hand because lolrandom! :xd:

Hey man it was still pretty funny when the game first came out and it hadn’t warn out its welcome.

This Saint’s Row erasure will not stand.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 5, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Hey, kind of off topic question: are any of the games Sakaguchi made after leaving square any good?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Of all the mistwalker games I’ll probably skip Blue Dragon because I can’t stand Toriyama’s art style. It’s the same reason I never played Chrono Trigger until 2016.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

FFXIV isn’t that horny, it’s FFXIV players that are horny

I mean, Minfilia in ARR has that inexplicable butt window...

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

the sound of taking a really slow pull of weed out of a pipe is the same sound cloud makes in ff7 during the cpr mini game

SQUARESOFT FOLEY ARTISTS CHOOMIN’ ON THE JOB

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Iirc the job listings called for someone who specialized in network play, so I assume there will be some multiplayer/co-op component?

In any case: stoked.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Jetrauben posted:

Apparently, Yoshida said back in 2019 that:

That's...not promising.

Why not? All that says is that he wants to return to the fantasy aesthetics that established the series, and he’s not even the director.

I’ve been really busy these past few months and only just finished up Heavensward the other day, but if the dudes behind that expansion are helming this I feel like the game is in good hands.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

stev posted:

Fwiw I completely agree that the game needs proper female representation. That was the main worry I took from the trailer.

I don't think we saw any party members other than the protagonist though? Assuming there even are other party members...

These two things reflect my only concerns.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Clarste posted:

That's a pretty optimistic timeline, imo.

Idk, yoshida runs a tight ship.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Would have been infinitely more interested in an Aranea-centered FF15

Aranea was literally the only ffxv character I liked. I guess I kinda liked Ardyn too.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I hope whoever was in charge of the Hildebrand quest lines in FFXIV is on the writing staff of xvi.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

For the longest time I thought Dr. Tot in ff9 was a bird person because of his giant nose, and, like, animal people weren’t that uncommon in that game, but no, turns out dude just has a big schnozz.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

I looked up the art and it’s honestly pretty ambiguous but I think he’s a bird man if only because he has webbed claws for hands and not just normal person hands. His beak definitely looks like a giant cartoony nose tho.

I don’t know how to post the actual image without the image hosting service breaking the link on mobile, but the nostrils are where they’d be on a human nose and he has a li’l mustache. Also it’s very much flesh colored. I dunno.

Man, I really wish I knew what happened to my copy of the ff9 art book. It was, to my knowledge, the most comprehensive released from square at the time, and it had good poo poo in there like unreleased Amano watercolors and concept art for virtually every character in the game.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Blank is basically Frankenstein's Monster with more parts sewn together.

Yeah, and I love how it’s never explained in the slightest.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

What would Kuja look like if he had a beard

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Tim Rodgers, who apparently has some insider knowledge when it comes to Square employees tv preferences, says they still really loving love GoT, so uh, take that as you will.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

Ah, that's right, I forgot about spinoffs.

Though I definitely got Type-0 vibes from the trailer overall, what with the warring nations that have their own crystals and the generally dark, violent imagery.

What were the main complaints about Type-0, anyway? I never played it.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

stev posted:

That was already very evident from FFXIV.

Not sure if it's Square themselves or just Koji Fox but most of the GoT references/thievery in FFXIV are more aligned to the books than the show. Urianger is a walking ASOIAF soundboard.

Yeah, I always disliked the blatant GRRMisms in FFXIV, even though most of the rest of the translation was real charming. I’m glad I haven’t encountered “fat with child” as a term for pregnancy because, like... it’s the single most grrm thing I can think of and it would take me out of the scene.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the other hand, all the Hamilton references in Stormblood have instantly aged to dust

Haven’t done SB, suddenly very nervous about progressing in game.

On a completely unrelated tangent, I hope Ffxvi isn’t just misery for misery’s sake. Like, in a world where a lot of the player base is LIVING Crushing bleakness, I want a story with some semblance of hope at the end. Idk, I just think rubbing people’s face in the carpet and screaming “the world is a cold, unfeeling march into tragedy, nothing you do will change this!” Isn’t a winning message when a lot of folks are suffering For Real.

Then again, plenty of people feel that that kind of mirror to reality is cathartic, so what do I know.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Wow just when I thought there couldn't be any more reasons to never watch hamilton

I watched 15 minutes when it went up on stream and every second of the hip hop part of the revolutionary hip hop musical sounded like a really uncharitable parody of suburban middle school rap.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Ff2’s standard battle theme is one of the best in the series.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Breath of fire throughout, has good music too.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

As a kid I got very mad that Yuffie was pronounced “yoo-fee” in kingdom hearts because by every English convention there should be only one “f” for it to be pronounced that way.

Then a friend brought up “buses” and I was very much owned.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So, uh, we’re all in agreement that Jill is Shiva’s dominant, right?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Nah, I'm still pretty sure she's dead as early as possible. Look at that bio and count the 'early death to motivate the hero/heroes' flags.

I'd prefer if she lived, and that she'd become relevant and preferably playable. But one of those people on the cast page is dead, and it's most likely her.

I’m still fairly convinced the sacrificial lamb is Joshua, given what we know so far.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

People getting hung up on Clive when arguably the best ff has a protagonist named Butz and/or Bartz(if ur a coward) smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Jill is away dumber name than Clive