Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man but does the battle booster in the switch version makes the early game a lot more bearable
Hell yes grinding limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Noctis' group all wear black because part of the lore is that their country worships death.

They wear black because obviously square enix put the cart before the horse and had a fashion designer clothe the characters with irl clothes you can buy now wow! before having anything concrete regarding the lore of their game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

those aren't horny character designs that's just how yoshida thinks people should dress. the intent isn't to titillate, it's to show off exclusive and evolutionary fashions

I’m sure Princess Hotpants is dressed that way for purely cultural reasons

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

i mean have you seen how other ivalicians (and later, valendians) dress? that is 100% their culture

And the lady who wears her thong outside her hot pants, you think that’s for religious reasons or

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Look at the awkward rear end way that guy on the right is standing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Xenoblade 1 and 2, not X, had fantastic last bosses
Same with Botw and Mario Odyssey

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cleretic posted:

He's so ridiculously overdesigned and with such a sinister theme that I'm genuinely stunned if someone didn't peg him as the villain from his first scene. I feel like he's the most obviously villain-coded villain in the series that doesn't make their entrance with actual on-screen murder.

Kuja
Kefka
Seymour for gods sake

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elentor posted:

My personal experience with FF13 was not having fun with the combat, doing 5 min of Excel to figure out an optimal strategy, being extremely underwhelmed by it and then just cruising through the game more out of a dare because of my friends tried to play it and found it a miserable experience and to be honest so did I, which is why I seldom bring the game up.

I prefer to keep my unpopular opinions to myself and I remember at the time even as people shat on the game's story a lot of people found it to have a great battle system so it was transparent to me from the go that I was in the minority, but it's very hard to overstate how unappealing FF13's combat was to me.

I dare you to eat this turd

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF13 is Good.

WTF is GOAT?

Games On A Track, which is why ffxiii was the game GOAT of the year

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ulio posted:

That is pretty much textbook Square. Spend years and millions to develop a engine, hype it up with some cool trailer give it a cool name then use it for 1 game.

Fabula Nova Pissalis

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hogama posted:

So how does R=U account for her sudden fascination with Ks?

She lost her retainer

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Be Depressive posted:

Who the hell wears a midriff short sleeve sweatshirt hoodie with cargo shorts, leather overalls, and bicycle shorts?

I kinda glad they had actual fashion designers on XV even if none of the clothes will ever be produced in gaijin sizes because at least they look good. I even paid $1 for the cool Noctis suit and throughout the game though to myself “hey that was a dollar well spent”.

FFX is such a fashion nightmare. It’s like every clothing shop lining the mall food court drank a lot of Mountain Dew and became a character. At least Yuna looks good. She’s that incense and tapestry store around the corner that sells pipes and dragon statues.

Everybody looks terrible except for Yuna, Wakka and Rikku

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DrNutt posted:

If FFX is a fashion nightmare, then FFXII must be like, a fashion descent into literal hell. I love this game but yeesh.

Queen Hotpants, Abs McGee and Unitard Lorraine are the only ones who look awful
Well Basch looks pretty silly with the big dinner mat on his chest but still

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

You like Wakka's look more than Auron's?

Auron was the best design in the party to me.

Yeah good luck in the tropics with your gabardine, jerk

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

No final fantasy character design is practical.

I mean, Cloud, Barret, Cid and Aeris have pretty normal clothes that look like they would be comfortable for the job they're supposed to be doing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Tifa and Yuffie too, really. Tifa's emphasizing her body, but her day job is tending bar (where sex appeal = tips) and her outfit isn't like, unreasonable for a martial artist. Yuffie's dressed like a pretty typical teenage girl - sneakers, midriff top - aside from a couple of touches that allude to her being a ninja and are probably traditional Wutai clothing in the setting (fishnet sleeves/leggings, headband).

FF7 really kind of flies in the face of the trope about FF fashion.

Yeah a martial artist should really dress up in a miniskirt and suspenders. Also Yuffie should get pants that fit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Nessus posted:

The only weird touch on Aerith's outfit was those metal bracer things. Take those off and you'd run into that woman at the co-op pricing the soy milk.
They make sense on a character personality perspective because she’s actually pretty tough and savvy of living in the slums

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I would not be surprised if they've been working on FF7 much longer than they've let on. I feel like this game is part of their attempt to use their ffxiii resources for everything forever to make up for how much they sunk into development. I'm expecting this game to have all of the same problems of 13. Even with the story already existing they don't seem to know what direction they're going in with the cutscenes they've released.

Oh, guaranteed. Also guaranteed that they’ve at least scrapped it and started over twice. Square Enix is an absolute shitshow and have coasted off their name, mobile department and the enix side of the equation for over a decade now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Not it on being the bucket bitch in the crystal chronicles remake

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I was edging on anywhere near the close neighborhood of the very border of maybe slight cautious optimism but yeah the remake's gonna be a goddamn mess

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hahaha you're right, the ps4 is treading water until the ps5 comes out and then square will try to release episode 2 of ??? on it but who the gently caress knows how you're supposed to code for this console

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm curious, if square enix had just done for FFVII what it's doing for viii would people have thought that was enough?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I've probably replayed vii like seven times and not once have I ever done the mayor's puzzle correctly or even gotten everything there is to get in shiinra hq or seen every Easter egg in honeybee inn

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

I'm pretty sure there is exactly one throwaway line referring to cloud's dad being dead or something.

Yeah Cloud says the first time he flashes back about his mom that his dad died when he was young

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I remember one summer I had nothing going on so I started playing xiv, right around the time heavens ward came out, and just having a blast playing all those cool things while sweet music played and more and more bizarre things happened to my guy. Then summer ended and I stopped playing after playing like, one heavens ward msq and never playing again
I totally should reinstall and resubscribe

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So if I buy shadowbringers I get all the expansions right? I stopped at heavensward and wanna get back once I get back home. Your account never expires right?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I recently played through all pre-Shadowbringers content while leveling a character on another server. It took me about 6 days played, and that was with skipping cutscenes. Although, I didn't play super efficient (though probably at least as efficient as a first time player).

With cutscenes, you're probably looking at about 10 days played. Which, I mean, if you consider the base game and each expansion as a "full length game," 10 days played seems about appropriate for 3 full length Final Fantasy games.

This seems about right, but only if you plan on mainlining the story and not getting distracted with the optional dungeons/raids/side stories (and there is a lot of all three) along the way.

If anyone in this thread decides to return to the FFXIV (or start fresh when server restrictions are reduced) and you are on Excalibur, send a message to Mordiceius Ketsumei and I can help hook you up with money/gear/advice/anything else you may need.

I'll hold you to it, I think I'm in Excalibur and fairly sure I'm the level cap of the base game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So in xiv you gotta play all the way to shadowbringers before getting the gunblade class right?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
GUST OF WIND-UH DANCE

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
But then how will Auron wield the most absurd looking sword ever designed (that's not a keyblade)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Madmarker posted:

Seifer is 18 and born on the 22 of December
Squall is 17 and born on the 23 of August

So Seifer is like a year and a half older than Squall. So, depending on Balamb Garden school years, he had anywhere from 1 year to a 2 year head start.

Wait so Squall Leonhart the guy whose best weapon is called the Lion Heart and best limit break is the Lion Heart and whose whole gimmick is leonine imagery missed being a Leo by one day?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What do they translate ultimate God of War giant slash technique aka omnislash to?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I was today years old when I discovered that the black omen is supposed to be a generic rear end star destroyer instead of a towering misshapen enigmatic obelisk whose very tip reaches to the stars

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
FFX has the stupidest fashion sense in the series, even worse than XII's Princess Hotpants and Outside Thongina

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Raviolio and Spaghettio had some good characteristics too

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aside from Fran those character portraits look far too similar imo

12's biggest sin was taking place in a world with a lot of fantasy creatures but only having humans and the most human like fantasy race make up your party

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Remember how a big part of ffx2 was Lulu being just about crowning pregnant and Wakka gaining some weight in his retirement and the characters constantly commented on it but they were the exact same ffx character models

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What was the first FF game back on a Nintendo console/handheld after the N64 gen? Was it Tactics Advance? The 1/2 Remakes?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The only problem I had with TA and TA2 was the horrid character design for both main characters. Mewt and Luso dress up like absolute lunatics even by FF standards. Everyone else has a great design but those two are just horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I don't care that it's a terrible party composition, my endgame party for FF6 PR will of course be Locke, Terra, Sabin and Cyan.