Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It sounds more like Final Fantasy corporate revisionism they are worried about. The collectors will always have the original, it's not them to worry about. It's the consumer who can only buy what's compatible with their latest and greatest platform.

FF7 port is coming to toasters so I'm not very worried about access to the original even though they already broken it by fixing this guy are sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't Ultima from FF2 where they noticed it was bugged but then the director was like "no actually that's perfect."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

WaltherFeng posted:

What I really want to know is who came up with the Card Mod and magic refine systems because that poo poo is absolutely bonkers and breaks the game in so many ways
Yeah it'd be neat to hear the story. I've mentioned before, refine seems like a late addition that never got a balance pass. Without refine, the level and magic system has a semblance of balance with how the best magic is only available from higher level monsters so leveling actually would have had a point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When you play FF14 2.0 it occasionally reminds you FF14 1.0 existed and also usually describes it as a bad time for everyone.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gologle posted:

You can go forward with FF14 ARR, or you can go back with 1.0. Ever one foot forward.
Forward and back

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

The dialogue choices are purely aesthetic. They're great but serve no gameplay or story purpose .
How could you forget. There's a mainline boss you defeat by dialog choice. It is the best dialog choice in the game, or maybe in all games.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fabula Nova Crystalis was worth it for Lightning to figure out that the world was stupid and the mythology was stupid so she kills god so she can move to France to be a fashion model.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The plot of 13 is that the fal'cie wanted Bhunivelze to come back and do what he then does in Lightning Returns because Etro's children (humans) were really annoying to Lindzei's children (fal'cie) and figured existence would be better off if Bhunivelze packed up and restarted somewhere without a tap into the Unseen Realm.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pureauthor posted:

Why did Spirits Within bomb so hard it left a crater in Squaresoft HQ, anyway?
It was a huge downer about how our lack of environmentalism and esoteric spiritualism is going to doom the human race and the 15 minutes of cool Final Fantasy action stuff was entirely spent in the trailer and the rest was being in your face heavy about why the planets dying Cloud.

Man I should watch it again as an adult, that sounds entirely my jam these days.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

They "lost" it much like the printer that was "lost" in Office Space.
But, wait, yeah, you're right. Destroyed by a bunch of criminals who couldn't understand the vision of PC Load Letter and guardian force amnesia.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Knights of the round is scrub DPS, it's all animation. Get back to me when you have everyone dead but cloud forever miming his omnislash or have weird materia combos to forever regen into lucky 7s

I never actually power gamed FF7 so sorry if that's not actually a pro strat, I just know KOTR is strangely bad in the grand scheme of min max because it's a slow way to spam 9999s.

Selhiroth buffs are bad not because they wanted to give you extra challenge, but because it just makes the fight longer when you have no real threat to party wiping if you have confuse proof.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jokes posted:

FF14 world seems to be a cool and chill place to live so long as you're not too tied to any specific governmental authority.
I don't want to live in FF14 because our threads devotion to Lightning would manifest her as a summon that the scions would need to destroy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Onmi posted:

I think my favourite moment was them misunderstanding the most BASIC concept of Time Travel Paradox's

"If you change the future, you change the past." No, that's the opposite of how that works.
There's people and machines that can see the future therefore future causes acting on the past. See also: yelling at Hope

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just need to wear one less belt than the main guy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

@ XIII-2 Talk

gently caress if I know anything about sience but I thought the linear conception of time was only one theory and hardly proven. I mostly read philosophy, and not philosophy on this kinda thing, but Time is not so simple, let alone time travel.

I didn't like Noel at first either but I like his backstory and stuff when you learn more about him. He has a great theme, too. I prefer him to Serah.

The real hero of XIII-2 is Caius anyway.
Real world causality and timespace is pretty well examined to exclude anything resembling information traveling backwards and any artifacts we can or can't anticipate are going to be even more weirder than information traveling backwards. The one thing absolute about reality seems to be that info only exists moving forward in time. Nothing necessarily linear since relativity means traversing spacetime at different rates compared to other things, but forward all the same.

But 13-2 isn't the real world, it's a bad broken world so Lightning stabbed God in the face so she could move to France and be a fashion model and not worry about time travel or chaos immortality.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bahamut did nothing wrong.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

So the final boss - the culmination of everything the game is supposed to be about - just saying your friends suck and they go to sleep now and you fight him all on your own...isn't that kinda dumb?
Yeah but you fly around like DBZ so I'll allow it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The final boss was the one before, the final fight is the victory lap like 7 and 10

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slider posted:

I picked up FF12 on the switch, last time I played FF12 was emulating the japanese ijzs fan translated version like 6-7 years ago and really liking it. I haven't started yet, question is, wouldn't having two jobs/license boards at the same time make your characters really, really OP come mid-late game or did the nerf the original license boards slightly to compensate for having two?
You get really OP. Maybe more, maybe not as much as you're thinking. The passive tiles are shared, like you get a stat boost tile and it's in both jobs, you just get it once. And you can only wear so much gear at once and the action economy means more actions isn't necessarily better.

Some of the combos are pretty insane though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Digital Osmosis posted:

I just beat FFXV. Played the first two DLC episodes and have the last two to go. I'm still doing post-game stuff, because the core of the game is very fun and it looks loving incredibly on my PC.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen a story that was told worse than FFXV's. As far as I can tell the actual story is like... fine? But important things that happen occur off camera, are mentioned in passing, or are just never loving explained. And it's not (I think) that I'm missing subtle clues to what's going on, it's literally things like the fact that you're going to try and get the blessing from the Astrals explained after you do that for the second time, and then the significance of the blessing of the Astrals is just... not explained at all. That kind of thing happens all the time in the game, it'd deeply bizarre. Maybe they could have done something with it, by having Noct always behind his allies and never sure what's going on for most of the game which changes as he matures into his leadership role... but I don't think that's what they were going for, I think they just wrote the first thing that came to their minds and moved on immediately.

And there are also things in the plot that are NOT in the story, which is kind of a first for me in maybe any medium? Like that bit where Shiva shows up and gives you an exposition dump about the previous human empire, the war between the gods, and all of that. Which is then used to give you an excuse to fight Ifrit as a boss, i guess? Except you've already fought all the other gods as bosses, and their motivation to fight you seemed to be "HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME."

Like... Sondhiem, was it? The prehistoric human empire that Ifrit fought a war again. What... what does that have to do with FFXV? Like, at all? It doesn't seem to affect any of the characters, or the culture, or the metaphysics, or the big good versus evil story. It strikes me as if you were playing a WWII game set in the North African theater and the game stopped for an hours to lecture you about the rise and fall of the Berbers. Like, if there was a Berber character who used that history to motivate their actions I'd get it, but I'm not sure why you'd be interested otherwise. Why do I need to know the deep prehistory of a bullshit science fantasy setting that doesn't affect the plot even a little bit?

Strong work on the four central characters though, and while Ardyn was nothing new or interesting and had no real motivation besides "is the bad guy" he had enough panache that it didn't really bother me.
Everything that needs fixed with the world goes back to Ifrit and the ancient empire as the starting point of everything going to poo poo. The Lucii are janitors made to clean up all the bulllshit, and the astrals are doing their interview of you for the job when you fight the normal ones.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Digital Osmosis posted:

How so? It seemed to me the problem with the world is the Starscourge, which... is never really explained but implied to have come from the meteor. It seemed to me the Astrals had their little war, civilization got wiped out and re-built, and they all went to sleep. If the Daeomons hadn't shown up, and Ardyn hadn't decided to help them or not help them or help you or help you so he can kill you when you're at the height of your power or uh, whatever he was doing - I'm not sure what about the world needed fixing. How does the Ifrit breaking bad fit into the plot with the Starscourge?

I kinda got the impression that Ardyn, after Ifrit had been beaten, seduced / corrupted him with the Starscourge... but it wasn't like Ifrit was a looming threat the whole game, in play he just kind of acted like Ardyn's big divine guard dog.
With both the humans and astrals split along civil warring lines there was no unified front to present against the starscourge which is reported as concurrent with the end days of the empire. The rifts would remain until Noct solved things with the power of friendship. He gets the astrals, crystal, and remaining leaders of men behind him which hadn't happened since Solheim.

The bigger plothole is why he needed to do that when it seems like the easier fix is to get the world drunk on gin and tonic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wish 15 was still an FNC affair so Noct could kill Bhunivelze so Gladio could move to earth and open a restaurant about adding boutique ingredients to cup noodles.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you play FF8 like someone vaguely human it can be really fun. Treat draw like steal, one guy does it a once or twice an enemy while everyone else beats them down. Prioritize refine but don't grind AP just for it and don't go way out of your way for materials to use. Try to card but don't sweat if the enemy dies while you're trying to whittle it down.

You'll end up OP and maybe even have fun doing it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

Just like Arby’s.
Oh my you're right.

On the surface it's just a quirky roast beef sandwich. But if you've been around the fast food block you know it's nothing but trouble.

Somebody post the menu roast beef vs real life roast beef next to normal Ardyn vs daemon Ardyn.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To us, the final fantasy veterans, we instantly realize Ardyn is the bad guy because he had a theme and is weirder dressed than anyone around him.

To Noct and his buddies he's just some hippy who might sell them weed for their camping trip. I think they call this dramatic irony.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I want to see the FF13 spreadsheet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I need the shrouds like I need the elixers. Number go up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Regalingualius posted:

So I just got to the part in 12 where you’re sent off to chase after Penelo in another city. I already took the only airship out of Rabanstre, but the only completely new area I could get to from that town was blocked off. Am I supposed to just go into the older area and just blindly wander around until I hit the plot destination?
I'm Basch Fon Ronsenburg and you should run through the barely branching corridor until story things happen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elentor posted:

Take good care of yourself friend.
On the other hand I don't think anyone's going to look down on you if you'd rather have a beer and a slice of cake instead of sticking around for FF7R.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Regalingualius posted:

I’m kind of bracing for whatever’s going to happen with the Wall Market arc whenever the remake reaches it.
The trailer had the boss in the sewer underneath Corneos mansion so high definition Cloud in a dress might already exist on a hard drive somewhere.

ItBreathes posted:

Tifa's big problem, iirc, is that Cloud wasn't there, so she's trying to get a handle on what he knows and hopefully by extension, how he knows any of it. I don't think their take on the events vary beyond Cloud's presence, but it's been a while.
I forget who passes out when but to her credit I think the ringer off a fact is Cloud really is the one who hulked out and reverse stab threw Sephiroth into the lifestream which plugs a hole of how the whole thing resolved with Soldier Zach previously taken out by Sephiroth.

Little bits of Cloud still show up in the Zach centric telling, like that or Cloud getting harassed by his mom about not finding any ladies yet in the city.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Luv 2 eat Sins butthole and wander around the cloudy wet stuff until you fight the guy with awesome prog playing, then wander through the nightmare logic hallways until you fight the guy with awesome nu metal playing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's more stock straight FFs than FFs with side quests.

Gologle posted:

Why is it called The Sister Ray?
Brother Ray is Hojos dick.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

So what's stopping you in the Standard Sphere Grid from diverting course and sending whoever onto another path?

I think I remember reading ESG has everybody start in a middle area or something so it makes it easier to go wherever and do whatever but if you really wanted to, is there anything keeping characters confined to their normal routes in the SSG?
Lock spheres and travel spheres take a little while to show up.

Mega64 posted:

It's really only 1-3 that have no side quests (and even then 3 does have an optional dungeon). Most of the summon stuff in 4 is optional, and even 13 has hunts once you reach Pulse. The rest generally have a good amount to do that steadily increases with each iteration.
When people complain about linear FF I think it has to do with getting drunk on the a la carte nature of FF6 WoD or the crazy side quest/back track density of FF7.

Every other FF it's like you run through 2/3 of it, get an airship, and can find some optional dungeons/optional fights now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The final chapters in 13 start ending with competency check or stat check bosses starting with first Bart.

Its fair but also the FF average before this was a lot more lax in being able to bang your head against bosses.

There's some parts of 7 that aren't really slouching either, Demon Wall and Carry Armor ended a lot of play throughs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is the world in a state that you can play cards with Zell's mom? That's probably better than most of what comes after the Ragnarok.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
4 and 5 really feel like it's serving boss solution after boss solution. You can laterally solve the hell out of them especially in 5, and later bosses require a little more overall synthesis of gameplay options.

It's not like Zelda bosses or Sabin beating Vargas but it's kind of hitting you on the head across a lot of the games with what you can try to fight the boss.

Much like FF is actually good, maybe the reality is in the middle????

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Whelk and Guard Scorpion are the you must be this old to play checks.

I guess they are more like look how cool and active ATB is, but let's be honest it mostly ended up keeping 8 year olds from playing unsupervised.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I still usually die a couple times to FF7 Demon Wall, drunk on the power of enemy skills that don't do damage fast enough and taking a couple tries to remember how weird haste works.

I have never done Seymour Flux without a overdriven summon bomb. But Yunalesca has a bunch of viable strategies and she's just a giant troll fight like Safer Sephiroth where you can't wipe if you have confuse proof and a stack of Phoenix downs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Final Fantasy - A more mature drama (often compared to Star Wars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Phoenix down, like they help people who are down get back up?
*Cloud murders a nest of phoenix chicks for their feathers*
Oh, phoenix down