Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Any tips for Final Fantasy X, as someone who hasn't played it before?

General:

Always try to overkill enemies and bosses. Overkilling doubles AP/loot drops.
There are some Al Bhed Primers that are permanently missable in Home and Bevelle, don't be afraid to consult a guide to make sure you don't miss them.
Abuse status effects! In literally any other FF game status effects are a comedy option and rarely worth considering, not in FFX. In fact there are certain bosses that can be completely crippled by applying status effects.
Get the Jecht Shot! On the ferry to Luca, save immediately and then play as normal. If you screw up the mini-game, savescum until you get it.
Most characters have an ability that raises stats in combat. You'll need to recast them several times before you get any noticeable effect, so unless you know it's going to be a long fight, don't bother.
Take the time to solve the destruction sphere treasures whenever you find yourself in a Cloister of Trials. The reward is always worth it and goes towards progress in a late-game sidequest.
If you're struggling with a boss, do a few random fights and build up your Aeon's Overdrives, then spam them. It's cheesy but effective and will usually net you an overkill.

Blitzball:

Get the Jecht shot! It knocks out the first 2 defenders and adds a ton of bonus SH stat for guaranteed goals.
Get Tidus' key skills so you can get Jecht Shot 2.
The Al Bhed Psyches are all ridiculously, brokenly good at blitzball until they reach higher levels, where they merely become above-average. The game props up the Luca Goers as the best blitzball team ever, in reality the Psyches are the best. Scoop up any Al Bhed Psyches when their contracts expire, especially Nimrook who is the best goalie in the game by a very wide margin.
Recruit Rikku's Brother. He's outstanding at everything at low-mid levels (except goalkeeping). His stats fall off towards higher levels but unless you have a real hardon for blitzball the level grind is lengthy.
Poison Tackle/Pass will disable enemy shooting techniques, abuse this to make it way harder for your opponents to score.

Tidus:

Spam his overdrives, it's how you unlock more for him.
In order to fully awaken his ultimate weapon you will participate in the single-most infuriating chocobo race ever designed. Use your opponent as a meatshield against kamikaze seagulls while you gobble up as many balloons as you possibly can.
Get the Jecht Shot!

Wakka:

His overdrives, Celestial Weapon, and one of his celestial sigils are unlocked through Blitzball Tournaments. You'll be playing a lot of blitzball if you want to develop Wakka.
Attack Reels is stupidly, brokenly overpowered. Wakka boasts very high strength as it is and you can potentially inflict up to 12 hits, which makes Wakka a very powerful damage dealer.

Yuna:

Can replace Lulu once you have a stockpile of black magic spheres. Everything Lulu does, Yuna does better.
Yuna's Aeons will scale with her own stats, remember to put in time with the sphere grid.

Auron:

All of his weapons except for his Celestial Weapon will have innate Piercing, which allows him to bypass the "armored" state on certain enemies. If you want to use his Celestial Weapon, keep a spare weapon on hand.
Similar to status effects, Auron's Break abilities should be abused to weaken annoying enemies. Armor Break will disable the "armored" state on tough enemies. His Banishing Blade Overdrive will inflict all 4 breaks simultaneously!
As soon as you are able to explore Spira freely hunt down the Jecht Spheres, they'll unlock more overdrives and provide some backstory.

Lulu:

Bench her the instant you've unlocked the -aga spells, doublecast, and flare. Towards the later stages of the game she gets progressively slower, squishier, and overall weaker. She sucks.

Kimahri:

Aggresively mediocre. You can make him work, but you'll really need to invest in him. He's fairly strong early game but starts to seriously drop off if you neglect him. If you want to try to salvage him, I recommend sending him down either Tidus or Auron's sections of the sphere grid.
The "Blue Mage" of the game, his overdrives are monster techniques. Most of them stink, but there are a few gems that will make fights easier. In particular: Stone Breath, Thrust Kick, Bad Breath, & Mighty Guard.

Rikku:

Steal everything! If you want to get the most out of weapon/armor/aeon customization always be stealing!
Mix is insanely, game breakingly strong. Look up a guide if you want, but Rikku's Overdrive will let you break this game over your knee once you have the right ingredients.
Will do most of her fighting through item spam, but this shouldn't be a problem if you're always stealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Every character in FFX gets a little plot arc and resolution, even poor Kimahri who nobody cares about. It's really one of the better FFs in terms of not straight-up forgetting half the cast. What they did to Quistis in FF8 was a disgrace!

I like to take him through Tidus' path since Hastega + Quick Hit are always super useful to have on more than one character.

I always try to get as much mileage out of Kimahri as I can, he's good if invested in properly and his overdrives are very useful.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So, I've put some time behind me since finishing FFVIII. Game was a weird overly ambitious mess that is very pretty, quite the spectacle, and has the best soundtrack I've encountered since beginning to replay VI.

I know it's mid-point of the PS1 Final Fantasies, but I see it as the end point of the Steampunk trilogy of VI-VIII. It doesn't really hold a candle to its predecessors due to its failed but worthy experiment of gameplay.

I know VERY little about IX. This wasn't a game my friends would talk to me about, I pretty much know the name of the protagonist due to the French footballer and that there's a traditional Black Mage looking character. I know that it's a love letter to the earliest of games, so it'll be a real shift from the worlds presented in VI-VIII.

Anything worth knowing? I think someone mentioned that past VII there's no risk of missing characters or anything like that. I may have missed a side quest or two in VIII because it's a genuinely large world and at one point I had just stopped caring. I'd like to be as completionist as possible without going out of my way or relying on a guide, so I'm hoping the game is interesting enough to encourage thorough exploration, which despite the ultra-chill environments in VIII, it didn't really make me want to talk to everyone dozens of times.

FF9 is good but there's one area where it really drops the ball: Limit Breaks. In FF9 limit breaks are replaced with Trance, where your character gets all glowy and generally does everything better. The catch is you don't get to decide when it activates, as soon as the bar is full it's going to fire off. If you're saving it for a bossfight and don't want to waste it on the small fry expect to start running from battles to conserve it. Also hang on to everyone's starting weapon, do not sell them (yet). There's a dungeon later on in the game where you'll need them. Always go Frog Hunting with Quina.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vichan posted:

Tbf the dungeon in question has the characters' starting weapons in chests.

Yeah but hanging on to the ones you have saves you the trouble :)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish FF9's card game had some meaningful prizes. I also wish I understood what the numbers and letters meant because it almost feels arbitrary which cards can fight which cards. At least Triple Triad made sense (big number > small number) and I could melt cards into items/spells.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Costlemark Tower (FF15) can gently caress. RIGHT. OFF. The hordes of demons, fine. The maze at the end with the world's slowest sliding blocks and having to fight progressively more Red Giants is the goddamned worst. I really hope someone makes it so I can noclip past the bullshit and just get this loving royal weapon.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want to try 13-2 but I heard after that Lightning Returns pulls that Majora's Mask bullshit and I do *not* like having a time limit. Either I play the game at my own pace or I don't play it at all.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

redreader posted:

Gutted! I played FFXV on release and saw that people were complaining after release about some chapter, maybe chapter 11 or something? Then square said they'd fix it, so I held off playing FFXV. I didn't get back to it but I'm determined to finish a lot of my backlog this year. My PS4 died and I got it replaced by sony. All of my data was gone, but all of my games were saved to the cloud so that was ok. My bloodborne save, my horizon save, etc. Turns out my FFXV save is gone though, maybe it just never got to the cloud. I just found out last night. I'd probably played maybe 20 hours of it? I'm Considering restarting it. Is there a recommended way to advance in power, fast? I remember having trouble with some fights, like it wasn't an easy FF.

Chapter 13 is the one that gets a lot of hate because you get separated from your party and your weapons, with only your magic and a spoiler-weapon to help you progress through enough hallways to make FF13 jealous.

As for power progression just do as many sidequests/bounties as you want and you'll find yourself overleveled for drat near everything. You can play through the game at your own pace most of the time. Chapter 8 is a semi-point-of-no-return (you'll get to go back to your road trip halfway thru Ch. 13). There are Free-LC accessories that give you bonus AP for getting A+'s in fights. As for beefing up your group, invest in stat boosts, teamwork skills, and tech abilities. Remember to abuse elixirs since you can literally buy them from gas stations, no hoarding needed this time. Abuse magic, magic is extremely powerful in FF15. It's "boss? what boss?" powerful.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It's really annoying how if your party leader dies in FFXIII, it's game over. What's the point of that?!?

Yeah, it's like "Helloooo? We have a phoenix down!"

I call it "Aeris syndrome."

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Leal posted:

I wonder if it was intentional in VIImake to be given a baseball bat for cloud right before a boss fight cutscene. Don't know whats funnier, cloud acting like a tough guy and whipping out a baseball bat or the boss tossing his broken pair of shades for another pair of shades.

The OG nail bat didn't have *any* materia slots, immersion ruined.

Also Rude carrying backup shades is a nice nod to a similar scene in Advent Children:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3WHRelxU0Y

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Why couldn't they just make a prequel about Braska, Jecht and Auron? Lotta folks online have called for that since I stared posting about FF.

Besides, while FF reinventing the wheel with each new game can be neat, couldn't they have greater success from refining a current battle system? FFX had the best battle system in the series but it had flaws. Just iron out those flaws for the sequel instead of tossing everything out and bringing in a whole new system with a new set of flaws.

I would 1000000% be on board with a prequel set during the Bevelle-Zanarkand war and travel across Spira at it's apex before Sin shows up and sends everyone back to the iron age.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Just do FFX-2 but replace YRP with BAJ.

Everything otherwise stays the same. Everything.

Including the Sailor Moon outfit changes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FFX-2 gutted blitzball and introduced a game that makes me do math. 2/10

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I finally finished FF15 and I feel like the back half was rushed. I wanted to take out the evil nasty empire, its evil nasty king, and his evil nasty generals and it turns out they were all unceremoniously killed offscreen, and Niflheim is abandoned, rip.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So is it just me or is FF7R really, *really* stingy with gil?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vichan posted:

I eventually gave up on the game shortly after returning to the capital, the game just became too much of a chore.

You're inches from the finish line, finish your game!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I got FFXV on the summer gift train, but decided to put it aside until the new GPUs launch.

I've never seen a game use all 8GB of my 1080's VRAM and 12GB of regular RAM before.

Use the SpecialK mod, it optimizes FF15 a ton.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vichan posted:

You're right, I should at least see it all through before passing judgement.

How is the DLC compared to the base game?

I haven't tried the DLC yet, my Regalia can fly so I'm enjoying that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sabin's true love is punching poo poo and suplexing trains.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gologle posted:

I like how we all just steamrolled past this insane opinion. Are you even human? I don't know anybody who likes how they implemented FF15's version of the airship in that game. Are you sure you aren't talking about the monster truck option?

There are way too many 'reset zones' and I have been cockblocked out of a lot of sweet jumps. Now I can extend a middle finger to all the vague areas I wanted to ramp over from the skies.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

redreader posted:

I figured out which fight it was that made me originally think FFXV was a hard game: the end of chapter 3 boss Mindflayer. I got to him this time after putting it off a bit, doing quests and levelling up and he was super easy. I know I also did chapter 4 for sure before (my save was deleted when I got a replacement ps4) but I haven't got a hell of a lot further than that I think.

I just saw the fishing guy all the way in the west side of the map and he challenged me to get a particular fish at dawn. My 1.5k line broke when the fish was about half-health so I need a better line, it seems. I also need to do some fishing levelling somewhere I suppose, but I never know which lures to use where.

Make sure to actually upgrade your rod & reel too. Those will influence how quickly you wear down a fish and how much the fish wears down your line. As soon as you see the white tension meter, stop reeling until it goes away.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hate Tidus and his dumb pants.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FF13 gets a bad rep but I enjoyed it, despite it finding a way to beat FF10 in the "linear as gently caress" category.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I'm about 15 hours in, according to the internet I've got minimum 25 hours left, I think I'm calling it quits.

And thus ends my attempt to play every Final Fantasy, two and one third games through.

Winners never quit, and quitters never win. - Gladiolus

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

redreader posted:

FFXV chapter 9 spoiler: HOLY poo poo, THEY MURDERED LADY LUNAFREYA????

I was hoping that the whole time 'you-know-who' would secretly be a genuine ally despite their demeanor and nope, said person is actually kind of a dick.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

On the steam version the launcher gives you the option of giving 99 of every spell to your party members, Square at least admit players are going to break the game over their knees and were kind enough to streamline the process.

Alternatively pretend you can't break the game and try to play it traditionally.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ranged + Tank. Barrett can withstand a ton of punishment.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hate all the missables, particularly magazines that teach you new poo poo.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Frionnel posted:

I only got as far as the Missile Base on my first playthrough of VIII as a kid but i'm absolutely certain i didn't junction at all either.

I also somehow got stuck on Black Waltz I and Sealion in IX, which i can't explain.

The first parts of FF9 are pretty brutal tbh, since you have to survive on potions and most tough mobs can 2-shot your guys because god forbid Dagger stays in your party for more than 5 minutes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I understand that FF6 is super important to a lot of people who came into RPGs during the SNES era, and the soundtrack is still super bangin', but I don't really see much point to remaking that game. I think remaking FF6 would bring into relief just how much of the story and characters are an unfocused pastiche of various fantasy tropes, and it lacks the unique artistic vision and identity that came to define the series onwards. It's best left to fond memories.

I want to suplex a fully-rendered ghost train in 4k.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

jokes posted:

It can only be improved by a Crono Trigger themed raid/trial series.

Chrono Trigger 2: Temporal Booglaoo

(Chrono Cross is bad fanfiction turned into a video game)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I never liked Aerith in the original but in the remake I think shes my favourite character

I was spoiled on Aeris long before my first FF7 run so I knew to perma-bench her asap.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Why perma-bench her? There's basically zero cost to using her.

She's not running away with your unique materia/accessories - you lose her weapon and armor, but both are meaningless unless you're trying for some completionist item menu poo poo. And she leaves early enough that it's not like you cripple other characters by putting them wildly behind the level curve, especially since the game gives 50% XP to characters outside the party. I mean, I guess she does take away a few kills for limit breaks from other members, but unless you're specifically grinding out kills, the difference between "Aeris in party 100% of the time" and "only use Aeris when forced" is going to be like 50 kills or something.

There are definitely games where if you know a character is leaving, it's smart to completely ignore them because it's a huge opportunity cost...but FF7 is very forgiving in this regard. If you don't want to use Aeris because you prefer other characters, that's fair, but "because she leaves the party" isn't particularly relevant with the way FF7 handles it.

The fact that she's being removed from the story at all leaves me 0 reason to invest in her. The 100% exp she gains from being in the main party is 100% exp that would have been better earned on literally anybody else (except Cait Sith, who is awful and I hate). All Cloud had to do was use a Phoenix Down on her but nope, those suddenly don't work because reasons. So yeah, Aeris takes the bench, RIP.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I never used Aeris either

:whatup:

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 21, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

His motivations are interesting. I'll give him that. It doesn't make a ton of sense why the crystal/the gods rejected him but it's fantasy god stuff so either you go along with that aspect of it or you don't at some point. I don't fully understand how he was usurped either, because the crystal didn't "accept" anyone until Noctis iirc.

Basically Ardyn believed he could cure the starscourge but in actuality is soaking it up like a sponge, which eventually corrupts him. Cue getting rejected by the crystal and centuries of emotional turmoil later we get the Ardyn we all know and love.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Right but Shiva gave him that ability, no? Why do that just to shun him for using it?

E: Also Luna has the same ability. Does it not corrupt her as well?

Hell if I know. Gods are dumb. As for Luna I think she can cure it for real, but who knows?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

About 8 hours into X and this is by far the most interested I've been in a FF story. It's been a joy. Except I just played blitzball which was infuriating. Tried a couple practice rounds too and am guessing my teams stats just suck rear end.

The Aurochs have a history of losing for a reason, they suck out loud. Replace them with free agents and any Al Bhed Psyches who don't renew their contracts.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Leal posted:

It wasn't dragon's dogma 2 but I suppose this is acceptable.

I doubt we're ever going to get DD2. Hell I'd settle for a director's cut of DD1.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hope they add Tidus pants as cosmetic DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gravity manipulating hellwhale that won't stay dead.