Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

4 was my introduction to the series and I still play it regularly. It is almost 100% linear but drat its good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Now, on to FF8!

Ah, you're set for a treat. FF8 is a broken dumpster fire and I absolutely love it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

zakharov posted:

The game is 21 years old and we still haven't determined if 8 is Good or Bad

8 is so bad it's good.

cock hero flux posted:

i've never met anyone who liked 8 unless the first time they played it was before age 13

:wave:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I somehow made it to disc 4 without knowing how to junction when I was 12, and then gave up at Ultimecia’s Castle because man why is this game so hard!?

This was my experience on my first playthrough as well. I didn't have a playstation and played it at my best friend's house, who started it and skipped the tutorial while I wasn't there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

This conversation reminded me of something I thought of a while back.

technically not true for another 10 months

Oh wow, gently caress you very much.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Namnesor posted:

FF4 is an easy game to get into. It's very linear, there's no grinding necessary (except maybe when you first get Rydia) to blast through the story, the music rules, the gameplay's fun, the characters are good. For me, at least, when I want to play an RPG that asks for little beyond basic cognitive function, FF4 is my go-to.

It's comfy.

The only two places in the game you can run into some trouble not just mindlessly playing through are the metallic cave & and underground cave with all the fake doors. FF4 is on my list of "i'm sick and couchbound" games I have played 20+ times on the SNES. It isn't particularly deep but holy poo poo is it good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

actually did you guys know the speed of enemies in FF4 are based off of Cecil's speed, so you actually want him to be slower and everyone else faster

Wait, WHAT. How does this even work? How am I still learning new tidbits about this game?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I think I've played 6 a dozen times and never realized what Runic did.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

I love WoFF and it's one of my favourite FF games to come out in the last 20 years (and honestly ever). it makes me sad to think we're never gonna get a sequel.

There were so many weird bad design decisions that could've been ironed out in a sequel. I really enjoyed it but also 100% understand why most didn't.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

jokes posted:

Do we like XIII? It's not a TERRIBLE game like I originally thought but they really hosed up in establishing the world. Maybe a 30 second promo to explain what Pulse is and everything would have been good? I don't know.

Combat system is a cool puzzle battler or whatever, but the paradigm shift animation the first time you shift is annoying.

13 is a flawed game with promise.
13-2 is garbage.
13-3 is solid.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

XV is an excellent open world game but to the detriment of the main plot, which mostly exists just so you can finally do more open world content.

I also just didn't like the combat in 15, it felt like it was a half baked version of what ended up in 7R.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

So for FF1 I chose a Warrior-Thief-White Mage-Black Mage party. Will this give me any trouble down the road?

This is pretty much the boilerplate party composition.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Going back to FFXIV 1.0 chat, I always wondered if they could make an offline single player game using 1.0's assets to retell it's story. Like how Dragon Quest X is coming out with a single player offline version.

Just rewrite the story a bit so that the proto-scions, the Circle of Knowing join your party.

So much of the combat relied on setting up inter-player combos that I'm not sure how it would even work with AI party members without a major overhaul. I played a lot of 1.0 and it was not good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IIRC the Dragoon one essentially required you to use a very specific order of abilities and items, and you still had to pray for luck to do enough damage before he killed you.

Why would you remind me I did this.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The DRG in this still gets me.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Giving Ramza the teleport move skill from Time Mage(?) works too.

Or just let Ramza stomp the poo poo out of Gafgarion, especially if you stole his Blood Sword in the earlier fight since you'll be able to hit hard enough to outpace his own hp drain attack unless you're really low leveled and setup very badly.

If you've got weapon break on a knight you can use that to negate his damage (I forget if he has maintenance in the remake) but otherwise, blood sword setup or just heavy damage like monk if you want to 1v1 him. Status effects work on him just find too from what I recall.

I did Knight breaks back in the day.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The curve in 4 was very forgiving, without any grinding I had the entire team survive dark bahamut's opening megaflare. Bunch of bosses never really did anything before going down. It is an easy game to begin with but they really set you up for success. Whether its for people playing through these for nostalgia and the soundtrack, or new players who never touched the originals, its probably a good call for keeping it quick and approachable.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Huh, I thought FF4 was kinda primitive/simplistic but it’s always good to be wrong on stuff like that. Does the DS version keep, like, any of those little wrinkles or just the clearly conveyed “Electricity dissipates the barrier” and the Bahamut countdown parts?

There's a book in the library leading to Leviathan/Asure that tells you to reflect Bahamut's magic back at him to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, it’s this. Discs 2 and 3 for IX consequently seem very long. I think overall VIII had the most equal balance of the first three discs.

Disc 1 of 8 and 9 are both so, so good.