Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

HD DAD posted:

So, just from the trailer, I’m gonna maybe spitball where the story could go.

Each nation has their own Crystal. These are important for Reasons. There also exists a class of people who can summon monsters, Dominants who are able to summon their Eikon. Our protagonist lives in a backwater nation, and is assigned to guard young Joshua, who may or may not be royalty. The as-yet-unnamed Evil Empire one day invades the protagonists country to obtain their Crystal, which leads to a ton of bloodshed. The culmination of this is Joshua revealing himself as a Dominant and summoning Phoenix to lay waste to the invading forces. After this, Joshua possibly disappears?

I think this is what the prologue/tutorial section will be.

The game proper picks up years later, with the protagonist nation still in a heated war with the Empire. The older protagonist, as part of the army, is now tasked with infiltrating and destroying (?) the Empire’s Crystal. There’s also menton of a female Dominant who can summon Shiva. She may possibly be a future party member.

Unfounded speculation territory: the logo shows Phoenix and Ifrit duking it out. I think Joshua/Phoenix is going to turn into the main antagonist, and the protagonist is forced to kill the kid he swore to protect.

Literally 105% of this could be entire off-base, but hey, what else are we gonna do until the next bit of info is released?

From what I gathered, In the town scene we see Joshua's got the Phoenix power and it looks like he uses it to heal the protagonist's hand or something to that effect. It's mainly to demonstrate that Joshua has that power. The protagonist has a bond with the kid and is sworn to protect him as mentioned by saying "I'm Joshua's shield." Later, Joshua becomes emotional over the betrayal that happens right before his eyes and his rage/emotion results in the summoning of Phoenix. He's not in control of it due to said outrage so phoenix flames start the fires. The person exploding into a pillar of fire is someone else entirely, who is unknown. It is this person who summons Ifrit. It is likely they are in league with the betrayer and/or dragoons that attack afterward. Either way, the Phoenix and Ifrit fight and the Phoenix/Joshua loses (There's dialogue during the reverse POV shot of Ifrit going Evangelion on something to the effect of "No, Joshua, please wake up!") The protagonist probably finds Joshua and is given his power right before he dies. The protagonist now endures a trial by fire with this power, literally, by defeating the invaders, culminating with the dragoon boss fight. Then sometime later the fights in the swamp with the Goblin, Ogre, and Malboro happen. Then after THAT, the rest of the scenes are after a time skip. The protagonist stating "I'll kill you if it's the last thing I do" is the protagonist stating that he has a particular set of skills now, and he's going to become a nightmare for guys like the mysterious Ifrit Dominant person.

I didn't think we needed to spoil speculation but I don't wanna piss anyone off, so...

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The Titan fist is also used to grapple enemies and drag them to the player. I love the Titan fist.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like there isn't enough talk about the Coeurl with Ultra Greatswords for whiskers! I feel like those are the biggest they've ever been...

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Final Fantasy IV: The Hunt for Rainbow Pudding

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

I have acquired the Rainbow Pudding and it only took 5 hours

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can’t believe people at SE looked at those 3D models and thought “yes this is an improvement over the psp sprites.”

God they’re so ugly.

I've been watching a friend play the PSP version while I play this 3D one because I've never finished this version before, and there have been a number of times where I've wished the PC version was the PSP version instead. Sure, the augment stuff is kinda interesting and I honestly don't mind the blocky low-poly 3D, but it was clear there was a lot of love put into making the most of the 2D in the PSP version versus all of the graphical shortcuts necessary to make this version work on it's original platform.

I think the most striking difference was between versions of Meteor, where on the PSP version it is almost on par with a summon animation or hell even Sephiroth's Super Nova. On the 3D version it's like someone threw some rocks at the opposition.

The PSP version is newer than the 3D version as well which makes the decision on what version they ported kind of confusing. On Steam III and IV stick out amongst V and VI (though they have their own graphical hangups for people I guess), and then there *still* isn't even a port of I or II. I don't even think there's a platform that has every single FF game on there yet...

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

That's what I love about him, he looks like the most generic guy that probably works in a factory 40 hours a week, drives a slightly-old pickup, and loves to spend time chilling with friends at his local bar. Yet his entire personality is "I REALLY loving HATE CHAOS".

I am willing to bet 1000% that Chaos somehow killed his family

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Hungry Jack sponsored by Final Fantasy Origins with angry jack on the front of the box

"Before you kill chaos-- kill your hunger first!"

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, I think in the same interview he said he wants the next info dump to be as close to the release date as possible.

I hope they take this to the extreme and do the info dump and then release the game the same day in 2022 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Parasite Eve is a stone-cold classic.

Too bad THEY NEVER MADE A SEQUEL.

I need a "Free Enterprise"-style randomizer mod for Parasite Eve in my life very badly. I wish someone would make one!