Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rirse posted:

Still love this line that appears after the very first Laguna segment.

Maybe the best line in the game

Recent talk of FF8 makes me want to replay it. I've already got half finished playthroughs of 9 and 12 though, seems a bit silly.

Speaking of 12, it's my first time playing it since release and it is better than I remember. The plot and characters are still barely there for a lot of the game, but the world is cool. I like the hunts, but I wish they weren't such a pain sometimes. Warping to some poo poo crystal and then having to run through five screens of loving caves and deserts isn't the best. And they have such poo poo rewards too. Spent half an hour going to find a huge beast that is devastating the land? Here's 3500 Gil, a Hi-Potion and some Onion Arrows. gently caress you

I know that the rewards get better later but it's a massive grind and I can't be bothered. I also don't like how you can see all the equipment on the license grid, it removes the mystery of finding new gear (which is also too rare anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't hate Zell but I would intentionally avoid him IRL and would only speak to him as much as I had to. I will repeat that Selphie owns and is the only character I would actually hang out with IRL. We'd go to BBQs and drink all the good beer and dance til we puked and then probably go set of fireworks in a dumpster until we got arrested.

But her limits suck so I never used her :(

Another thing FF8 got wrong, making the limit breaks wildly different in power for each character

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nomura posted:

Besides the characters, I also designed several of the Guardian Forces. Unlike the summon creatures we’ve used in previous FF games, the Guardian Forces can be raised and leveled up, so from a design perspective, my starting point was that I wanted them all to be bizarre creatures—no humanoids with clothes. That’s why Ramuh doesn’t appear in FF8, but was instead replaced by Quetzalcoatl. Plus Ito (battle designer) was saying you can’t “raise” an old man any further. (laughs) For the same reason I re-designed Siren from FF4 to not have any clothing, too.

I definitely beleve you, Nomura

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I've been thinking about giving ff7 another try and maybe finish it if my savedoesnt explode this time but then I remember I'd have to do midgar zolom again and the cpr minigame and I come to a few minutes later a gun in my mouth and my hand shaking

You can literally just run across the marsh and not get caught by the Zolom if you time it right. Or you can run half way, save your game, reload and it'll be in a different place.

No way around the CPR minigame though :(

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Schwartzcough posted:

The CPR minigame has no "lose" state, and it's not like there's some perfect timing that you can use to win it in one try, either. You literally just need to hit a total "breath" number to win across all attempts, and you just get a bigger number each time for doing it when the lungs are more full. Like, it should take you about 4-7 turns to get it done.

I know, it's just boring

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The White Dragon posted:

question for anyone who knows FF7 New Threat: how do you uninstall it? i uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but the mod seems to persist. i thought i'd give it another try but it just fuckin sucks, everything about it is amateur hour bullshit. the mod creator, naturally, doesn't describe how to uninstall this mod in any of his documentation.

I don't know, but the creator of the mod answers questions every day on the mod's official forum so maybe just register and ask him

I'm playing NT at the moment and I'm pretty surprised by how much you don't like it. I've found it a lot of fun, decently challenging but not too hard and with a nice balance of familiarity and changes. I actually can't really imagine going back to the original game now, it's just too simple and it's never worth using like 70% of the materia in the game

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Heithinn Grasida posted:

One specific minor issue turns me off of A New Threat, even though I’ve never played it. Back when I was 12, or whatever, I thought it was a cool bit of storytelling that Cloud’s stats are in general all super good and he has no real weaknesses compared to the other characters. The story presents him as a really powerful fighter and he is. If I recall, A New Threat makes all the characters have the same average stat distribution. It’s a small issue, and understandable from the perspective of wanting to give players a reason to not take Cloud, but it does disservice to the story. Why wouldn’t people just scoff at Cloud if he tells them he’s ex-SOLDIER if he’s no better at fighting than they are? I’d be worried that sort of insensitivity would seep into other aspects of the mods design.

Seems a bit like splitting hairs when Cloud starts the game at level 5 or whatever anyway. He's not some super soldier from the get go in battle terms because the game wouldn't work that way.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Anyway I'm still playing NT and I'm a little bit annoyed because I got a gold chocobo for the first time (I've played the game at least 5 times) and it turns out all the materia is gated behind bullshit bosses that I can't beat :(

I mean I guess my party just isn't strong enough yet, but I wanted the materia now!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

I forget, does NT alter the Chocobo Sage any? When I was a kid first trying to get a Gold Chocobo in the regular game his gimmick of forgetting things and then remembering them again later on drove me loving crazy because of course I was young and dumb and ddin't understand what I had to do to progress. But I do remember in NT the creator changed the requirements for the sleeping man giving you the Mythril and stuff so you didn't have to waste time and just wondering if he did the same for the Sage.

But yeah I echo what others said. I can't play regular FFVII anymore. I need at least some hack or mod to enjoy it. It doesn't have to be NT, just so long as the game is modified in some way to make it more interesting to play.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Anyway, it turns out there's a weird way to get a gold chocobo in about 40 minutes without doing any racing, so I just did that :v:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Obviously the model is a lot cleaner and clearer but I like Squall's face/hair more in the original than in this picture. It looks more like he looks in the official art and the FMV scenes. The new one looks KH as gently caress

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It would be cool if in Fire Emblem your dead characters disappeared from the plot too, though it would be a huge hassle to write that way

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Terper posted:

Lots of reactions have come in from people who played the demo of 7r and the consensus is that it feels really good.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/438338650?t=01h28m18s

I expect it to tbh, I think my and most people's concerns are about how closely the plot and characterisation follow the original. I don't mind some divergence and it's probably even necessary, but I just think they're probably going to do some stuff a lot of people won't like.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yeah, I just hope I'm not one of them

Irrelevant but after playing 7 again recently I think this is the first time I noticed how incongruous Aerith's house is. Walking through slums where people are living in pieces of pipe and abandoned vans and everything seems to be made of pieces of scrap metal, and she lives in a loving mansion with a waterfall and a giant garden full of flowers. Is Elmyra loaded as gently caress or what

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Barudak posted:

Because then you cant rely on quickenings to do the damage you need to kill this boss before it enters its boring phase of "cant touch me neener neener neener"

More seriously; I dont think quickenings were well thought out at all, especially in vanilla 12

They take way too long and are really boring. IIRC all of them are sort of random colourful lights and might as well be interchangeable, there's not really any personality in them. I guess it was a lot easier to do it that way because every character can equip any weapon

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It's also worth noting that even if you miss tons of stuff the game is still easy, so unless it bothers you knowing that you missed something I wouldn't worry that much. You'll still pick up plenty of good stuff and enemy skills playing it blind. The exception is the optional characters, check a guide for them.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

Can I get some takes on what this scene is supposed to mean? It's one of the more interesting moments of FFX. I've never understood what the point of it is.

Wakka: "But, using machina... That's bad, isn't it?"
Seymour: "Pretend you didn't see them."
Wakka: "Beg your pardon, but that's not something a maester should say!"
Seymour: "Then pretend I didn't say it."
Tidus' narration: "From the first time I laid eyes on him, I never did like Seymour...But you know, some of the things he said that day... They made a lot of sense to me."

I've never understood what Tidus admires about it or what the symbolism is here. It's obvious this is about more than just ignoring machina.

I never imagined there was anything more to it than Tidus not understanding why machina is bad and hinting that Seymour wasn't as pious as you would expect

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Taear posted:

Welp. I've just been going off what the guide says because honestly there's no way for me to know who was best for what. It feels too late for me to bother with her now really.
Although my Vaan/Balthier/Ashe (or Penello) party seems to be fine except for the optional stuff.

I had Fran as uhlan when I last played it (IZJS so only one job) and she rocked

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
If you're playing with only three jobs then yeah you're probably going to come up against enemies that you're not best equipped to deal with.

I never found it difficult to just rotate everyone in 12. It doesn't require extra grinding at all, I went through at the same pace, just changed characters around often.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

So I got an FFX question, actually. I mentioned it had no flaws but one flaw a lot of its critics give is that Yuna dying is painfully obvious.

It's been far too long since I first played FFX to remember if I was surprised by the revelation in Home. Looking back of course it's obvious and the hints are everywhere. But hindsight is always 20/20 and also I'm a lot older than the average player of the game.

Does anyone remember their first FFX run and if they were surprised that Yuna was supposed to die at the end of the Pilgrimage?

I remember being surprised, I definitely didn't see it coming. However, I was 11 years old.

Playing it again as an adult I was actually surprised at how obvious it is, and how dumb I must have been. I agree with the others that said that it is supposed to be pretty clear to the player what's going on - they didn't try and fail to hide it for a shocking late game twist.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

What is there to complain about Brother in FFX? He doesn't do anything except own in Blitzball and fly the airship.

He owns in Blitzball, flies the airship and badly wants to gently caress his cousin

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Speaking of New Threat, are there any other classic JRPGs that got good mods? I know people mod FF, other than that I can only think of the one for Tactics Ogre, though I don't even remember how much was changed from the original. I'm guessing most games in the genre just aren't really popular enough for people to mod them

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've still never played XIII or any of its sequels, despite 7-10 and Tactics being some of my favourite games ever. I like 12, but I think it massively wasted its potential wrt the characters and plot

Does anyone actually think XIII is a good game? I mostly only hear negative opinions

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It was pronounced Tee-dus in Kingdom Hearts, however, that game is wrong

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Seedge posted:

The thing that's stuck with me the most during my FF8 replay is how good most of the music actually is. Its filled with great music for towns, battles, mood setting...

I can never pick which game I think has the best soundtrack but it's definitely 7, 8 or 9. Probably 7 or 8

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Regardless of how much content they add or don't, obviously the way that games are made now is vastly different to how they were made in 1996. The same amount of content as in the original game could easily stretch a lot further just via a fairly natural lengthening and development of cutscenes, dungeons and boss battles. All of which seem pretty likely to happen to me

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

precision posted:

Also realized how easy it is to just miss the honey bee inn. I skipped it and still got the Consummate Crossdresser trophy, and there's never any indication you need to get more than the dress and a wig

Last time I played it I wanted to get in to the Honeybee Inn (though not enough to use a guide) and I couldn't figure out how to do it :(

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

jokes posted:

Cloud is 24 and is almost definitely a virgin. He can count the number of women he’s ever talked to on his hands, which are just two cubes.

He's 21 in the original manual

I think Aeris is 22, no wonder everyone calls her an ancient ha ha ha

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've got pretty mixed feelings about the trailer. On the one hand I do like that it looks like it may be a more mature and political story akin to Tactics, and while yeah it's still anime it does appeal to me more than the bishie boys anime adventure of XV did.

At the same time it does look a bit drab at the moment and a bit like some other popular games and a bit not very Final Fantasy. Not gonna even try to qualify that because obviously FF is always different. But it's just the feeling I had watching it.

Haven't played 14 but I've heard great things, so it is exciting that the main guy is involved in this. A changing of the guard seems like a good thing, Nomura and Kitase can work on the 7 remake and we can get a fresh take here. Also it's just nice to see Square willing to do something that does look like it will be quite different and darker in tone

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At this point, Final Fantasy as a franchise has spent the majority of its history (17 years) with real-time systems compared to static turn-based or ATB systems (16 years)

It doesn't really make sense to break it down over time, because in the last 17 years they've made like four games. The vast majority of FF games are turn based games, Square-Enix has predominantly developed turn based games.

Obviously turn based systems are kind of out these days so I expect them to continue with real time systems from here on

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
How does the MMO aspect work if it can feel like you're just playing a single player game? Genuine question, never played it or rewlly any other MMOs beyond a couple of hours in some old, free ones.

I'm not really interested in playing an MMO but I'm interested in playing a good Final Fantasy

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

What were the main complaints about Type-0, anyway? I never played it.

I didn't finish the game, but from what I remember the plot basically doesn't exist and you get like 13 cool looking characters who are fun to play with but have zero personality or story. It's a fun game to play but the plot and characters seemed incredibly thin and underdeveloped (at least as far as I played it, 10+ hours)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Darth Walrus posted:

This was the first mention of Suzuki being on the FFXVI team, but as the thread mentions, he's likely been there for a decent while longer.

Incidentally, can all of you singing the praises of FFVIIR's combat give me some basic tips on how to get the most out of it? I feel like I'm operating on a very basic level without a solid grasp of when and why to switch characters, for instance, especially since Cloud seems the most naturally suited to the sort of combat that the game is asking of me. Like, I know the basics of 'switch to a ranged character when you can't reach something with your sword', but apart from that, not so much. In particular, I'm seeing little reason to ever personally play as Aerith given that she seems to favour a static, long-ranged playstyle that doesn't work well with some hulking monster trying to claw her face off.

Other tips would be welcome too, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

It's just fun to switch characters and play as everyone, they've all got cool stuff. You can certainly go most (or all) of the game just playing as Cloud, but why. Aerith is fantastic in many fights, her range is very useful and her 2x cast ability is OP

It may depend on how you have your characters set up too. I really liked playing as Tifa, so I made her my physical powerhouse and Cloud played a more supporting role. If you give every character different, useful spells and different roles then it becomes very natural to switch between them frequently

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is it? story and gameplay's all there

FF8's easily broken gameplay-wise and the story is nonsense

I haven't played Xenogears but I understand it has similar story problems near the end

Xenogears' story is great, it makes sense and is complete and detailed. It's totally different to FF8's nonsense. The problem was that they ran out of either time or money (or both) and much of the end of the game is text rather than game.

Honestly, I was fine with it and don't remember it being a problem at all. Haven't played the game in a long time though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
VIIR would deserve getting voted GOTY to be honest, it's a wonderful game

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Interestingly there's a person on qhimm (forum for FF mods) that has just completed an FF8 story/script mod. I haven't tried it but I am interested, I don't think it's an Iscar Matthias kind of deal, more like an attempt to have the story make more sense and provide more lore and character development. I'll probably give it a go and will report back if I think it's any good. The patch isn't out yet but is apparently completed

You can find it if you Google FF8 succession mod

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I know this is the FF thread and we assume everyone knows the plot of a 20 year old game but there is literally someone on this page playing FF8 for the first time, hope they already knew those spoilers lol

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

bustin keaton posted:

When I replayed the other year, I did find the "we forgot" plot point was slightly less terrible than I remembered. But, yeah, it was something that could have worked fine but they hosed up completely by burying all the foreshadowing in side events that I'm pretty sure 20 years later I'm still yet to actually trigger.

The plot/scenario/everything for the first two discs is up there, though. Disc 1 in particular has some of the tightest worldcrafting of any FF.

Edit: Ignore the stupid orphanage twist and you get the very fun trip to Esthar/Space/back to earth straight after.

yeah disc 1 rules

it's kind of a shame what they did with Edea, because her appearances on the first disc and the whole failed assassination plot were really cool. I still think her character was interesting on the whole, but she could have been the Big Bad or at least been a villain for longer than she was

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Tidus is a character is fine, but I still don't like how his voice actor played him or the guy's voice in general. I know there were issues with the VA of that game as already mentioned, but a lot of them still sound really good and to my ear he just doesn't.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
There's a Clive in Wild Arms 3 and in Suikoden and both of them are cool

Clives Are Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

The reason Sin destroys machina and attacks ships is to keep people away from DZ.

Then why does Sin attack Dream Zanarkand at the start of the game :confused: