Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I am starting the gathering/crafting grind in the FF14 and I got to ask, any of you know a good podcast about the franchise? I am seeking one that is essentially laid back nerds dropping dumb in jokes and messing around. Or one focused on trivia/culture of the games and their development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I don't mind BlitzBall but gently caress the one guy who thought that single looping track for it's entire existence was good enough.

It's so bad when a friend was playing it on his PS4 last year I asked him to mute it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Excuse me, I party all the time. Black Mage, Knight, Viking, even Dancer! I party with them all.

Ironically due to being DPS, Dancer has to wait the longest to get matched in a certain MMO.

Guess nobody wants to party with me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Regional accents from the British Isles and Ireland>Generic bland awkward English accents that aren't even real.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yes those accents are Northern not Welsh.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Stormblood is great but clearly feels like two half finished expansions mashed together. I do appreciate the world expansion, but it is almost comical how quickly the bad guys are thrown out of power.

At least the last bit of the story line and music associated with it are great.

DeadButDelicious posted:

As a Brit it is nice to see a bit more range in accents in games rather than cockney, Scottish, and posh twat.

Same. The Fable games were sort of interesting because of all the South Western accents they had.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Making everyone sound like they are from the east coast of the US would certainly make FFVIII interesting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As a nerd who few years ago wrote several posts about 19th century influences in the uniforms of the Gundam thread I approve of this nerding out over character design.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

14 really loving loves gaiter boots and frontier style moccasins.

Oddly enough though they don't have any idea how to make non formal/cute looking small shoes.

Ventana posted:

Can you link to these because I'd love to read about this and I haven't been to the Gundam threads for a while

It was the previous thread to the current one, so unless you have archives.

It's not as in depth as the suit posts though, one day I will try to top those.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Knee length cavalry bucket boots are still sexy.

Still to this day questioning those white mess hall hussar style formals that dip way too far into waiter in mid 19th century hotel. A lot of uniforms in that anime straddle the line between weird milhist mish mash and crazy old time hotel vibe.

I was going to do Gundam Seed but Futurama beat me to the one joke I was going to make.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

On topic, I am legit sad those Cossack/Ottman looking Midgar militia dudes didn't make the cut for the remake.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm just wondering how awkward it is for Barret getting ammo from the pouches on the back of his trousers myself.

Man is determined to not let his gun arm get in the way of efficient use of pocket space.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

She grew up in the slums of a miserable pizza techno city. That bo staff? actually got a spear hidden inside.

Which she keeps rusty. On purpose.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

Snow 100% is not but will loudly proclaim that he is to everyone within earshot to cope with his own feelings of inadequacy

dude has a nice coat too, has become my defacto 'what the hell do I need' for my 14 crafter classes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I quite enjoy the evil genocidal antics of JRPG magitek Joker myself, though brooding perfectly shampoo'd long hair long sword silver mothers boy also is quite amusing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So where does Jecht stand in worst daddy of final fantasy scale?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A decade ago a bunch of Final Fantasy nerds made a podcast set in pre-crisis core and their Hojo is such a sad sack goon who just wants to be acknowledged as a dad I have forever mentally made it head canon from the awkward Hojo VA alone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hojo is the kind of man who's closet is nothing but scientist coats and nothing else. If the remake ever gets to Del Sol and he's not wearing at least a coat on the beach!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Roche just drives into the middle of each important character moment and just revs his bike and mugs for the camera in the background.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

The way I understand it IF YOU READ THE DATALOGS or something, Hope's dad was kinda whaever about his wife and son being sent to be killed by turtle elephants. I don't remember all the details of what I was told but there is some reason for Hope being mad at his dad. It's just never properly conveyed in the game because it's loving FFXIII.

Same thing for Lightning asking that door to open. Never explained in the game.

Speaking of which, happy ten year anniversary FFXIII. It was a not very good game but not a very bad game, either. It's got good points and bad points. I will not be replaying it for the anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUy04FWIMkE

It's a shame because I do kind of like the core concepts of the main cast but then I remember the pacing, the design, the terrible choice to band half the story and dialogue over three silly sounding sci-fi terms and my will to care drains away. I keep telling myself to consider trying the spin off one of these days.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yazoo is particularly dumb because it's the name of a milkshake like drink;

Ugh and they are crap milkshakes too.

Also, I am hoping they'll have a sense of humour and Cloud will have an ancient obsolete rear end flip phone and will refuse to upgrade.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So anyone else ever get the weird mental image where the middle of the much accepted modern One Winged Angel orchestral cover of Cloud and Sephiroth just throwing down their swords and just doing a cheek to cheek Tango?

Because that bit is just bizarre to hear coming out the blue between the choral chants and drumming. Sorry in advance if I seeded your mind with this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I guess this confirms the sword really doesn't leave his side at all then.

bentacos posted:

Look I need to see Barrett in the sailor suit okay

You know it will be dashing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's because his sword was tall enough to ride.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hello future phone tone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Aerith Dies and Reno and Rude are the best characters

Have they done the traditional what if gag manga where instead of joining The Turks the break into comedy as straight man/whacky dude duo yet?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Looper posted:

which one's which?

Rude is the silly one, the dude is weirdly good at prop comedy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Squatting to Disco music.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

At some point in the coming year they are determined to trim and compact the weird transitioning content between AAR and first expansion so it is a less of a pain.

But I love the MMO but like said above, different games that cater to different tastes.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 4, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They need to drop the class restrictions to glamoring already, the cowards.

Seriously painful if you want to dress your magic classes up to 50.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We instead should be debating what other villains of the franchise managed to convince their bosses to pay for their personal hygiene.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But we rarely reach Gundam franchise level of batshit crazy names.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Name all characters and summons Dave

I'd like a main character who's name is Paul. Or Terry.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Veib posted:

Also Snes FF6 wasn't even released in Europe, so those "west" sales numbers are just North America

We finally got the garbage PSX port in 2002, a cool 2½ years after the US release

My crazy rear end friend IRL who loves the franchise and has played most for some reason has never got around to FF6 and doesn't get it. I don't legit press the dude because for some reason he gets in a right strop, like I am questioning his fan status for not ever having the chance to play it?

It is a legit black hole for some due to the console and time gap.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I cannot remember if it was on the same disc set he bought or not back then.

I did suggest it to him to get on the PSNetwork but the 3D sprites ugh.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Very dandy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

it continues to be incredible just how much having a shirt improves everything about him

Trying to save the world, nipples just flapping about under the wind my half assed leather anorak thing showing off my chest.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I love how FF14 even ignores the FF12 outfits for the long term subscriber veteran program and MOGNET. Talk about rejection.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

You get vaan and balthier cosplay from the actual content set in ivalice, and viera start with fran’s outfit. I feel like it was more they knew that was coming and wanted to save it for that, especially since the sub rewards program ended with Zidane while it was still probably in development

I keep forgetting that Alliance Raid is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's kind if comical the shirt is clearly for a smaller dude, but he's got to wear it.