Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Zenos probably had the chance to give the most interesting moveset of any of the Garleans, so cool to have him aboard. He's a lovely loser cartoon villain in XIV proper but he's also the most absurd wannabe samurai with his golf bag katana sheath and the wacky properties of each of his swords.

I'd say I'd prefer a villain from XIV I actually like but the only good ones are an elderly elf pope, a goblin diabolical mastermind and his beloved pet cat, a potato with the superpower of ALL THE MONEY and enough smarts to spend it well, and a gigantic fuckoff rage dragon, none of which were ever terribly likely to make the Dissidia roster. At least it wasn't a lame loving Organization XIII Member Ascian like I thought it was going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

It can still occasionally lead to some choppy gameplay. Some characters get it worse than others, I was telling a friend of mine that Cloud of Darkness gets REALLY inconsistent online because lag seems to tank her attack animations somehow.

It's still a cry of 'fix it' from people who have no idea what they're actually asking for, especially for a niche game. Could they do better? Yes! Do you have the solurion? No! In fact it'd probably make it worse, because if you can't connect well to a dedicated server location you can't do online AT ALL, not just sometimes. And even if you can, being able to play online could be totally lost further down the track even if there are still players, because if they shut down the server then that's it, it's gone.

Yeah. I've had problems with CoD whiffing attacks on a standing opponent at times online. Like, not moving, not even blocking, I'd sometimes jam her attacks and just watch them pass just to the right or left of the opponent. Other characters seem to get hit with this pretty bad too (Yuna seems pretty guilty of this, especially with her starter HP attack Holy and Valefor's Energy Ray. )

Still, there's 0 chance the game's ever going to get dedicated servers, but I'm getting good games way more often then I'm getting bad ones now, so there's that. The bigger problem I'm running into is that the game grinds to a hault when someone DCs, which is starting to become more and more common when a team starts going a life or two down. I feel like one out of four matches just kinda breaks down at some point because someone on a team ragequits because they/one of their teammates look like they're just feeding kills. (If two people are on one guy and he's not holding up well enough for you to do the same to the other team's loner... HELP THEM)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Even XIV references it in Stormblood, which honestly surprised me.

Stormblood is All References No Substance the expansion so it doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

that's what it's always sounded like to me. i have zero interest in a game like that

Heavensward is pretty much the best Final Fantasy game put out since the original Playstation (and I even like X). It's good and fun and the plot's well written even if you'll never fail to figure out where it's going you'll enjoy watching the characters go through it. Even the dumb reference stuff like the Warring Triad have a real place in the world and are fun little dives.

Stormblood... was a tremendous letdown after Heavensward.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kanfy posted:

I just appreciate that of all the Ivalice raid bosses, the one who ended up being the biggest raidkiller was T.G. Cid. It's perfect.

4.1-era Hashmal has some words for you. T.G. Cid's definitely a big boy, but Hashmal was bricking raids for almost the entire duration of Rabanastre's run as the current 24-man, whereas I stopped really seeing T.G. Cid wipes about a month in unless an entire alliance was new or something.
(Hell, 4.5-era Hashmal has some words for you- I still see raids wipe on that guy)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hogama posted:

man doesnt seem to do so hot with it if the future is any indication

The moogles had it coming.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I hope they plan on giving a massive overhaul to it and not just give it the Secret of Mana treatment, because if there's any game I can think of that just needs to be completely redone, it's Legend of Mana.

Legend of Mana is some of Square at their absolute worst. The game itself is so buried in unnecessary subsystems and obtuse FAQ bullshit with progress many quests gated by arbitrary triggers, access to locations and quests gated by criteria you have to stumble across (The third quest in the game most people will complete gives you two companions at your home base you can pick up at any time at no cost... except there is a location in the game you unlock later in the game that only activates when you're alone and the game gives you zero clues that is the case,) a ton of tiny and large systems like magic creation and monster raising to interact with any one of which could form the backbone of it's own game, and all of it frames... a very lackluster action RPG with a barely-functional, super basic combat engine with some obtuse action learning systems tacked on that doesn't really manage to stay fresh through a normal one-plotline playthough, forget three.

The worst part is, what is there that's good is really good- the visual imagery and soundtrack are beautiful. The plot, as incoherently as it is told, is probably the strongest in the Mana series once you start finding all the connecting threads. There's a lot of good ideas in the combat system that could lead to a fun and robust action RPG just are never needed because just running up and whacking things with your basic or heavy attack is more then good enough for the entire game and often outperforms anything remotely more elaborate.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

If it were more focused it wouldn't be as good.

I’m not saying I want anything from the structure changed, outside dealing with how easy it is to lock yourself out of stuff (something that can be done in most cases by adding some if-then logic to when quests start.). Most of Legend of Mana’s failings come from the actual mechanical game all the good stuff is strapped to- it’s either a good game in spite of itself or one of the best bad games carried entirely by everything that doesn’t involve you touching the controller.

Revamp the combat, rework the various creation systems to not be arcane FAQ bullshit while also making them actually useful for... anything because combat can be won with stock equipment and no abilities with zero effort. Make 2P not a colossal goddamn afterthought.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks for reminding me I should probably have some Bazaar lists on hand for the play of Zodiac Age I just started. I don't really care enough to FAQ anything else about that game, but from what I remember screw trying to do anything with loot and the Bazaar blind.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
About the only real prepwork I'd suggest for FFXII is make sure to have a Bazaar FAQ on hand. The Bazaar and selling loot to unlock stuff for it is unintuitive as hell but it's basically a reverse Monster Hunter scenario- you sell back a bunch of specific loot then you can acquire an item, with the catch being that if there's more of an item sold then the Bazaar needs to make a thing, it'll still completely wipe out the 'stock' you sold when you buy the Bazaar item. The requirements when you know what you need to unlock the Bazaar sets for sale are shockingly low, considering FFXII's drop and steal rates, but the game does an amazing job obfuscating how the Bazaar even works so it can feel like a real tedious trial-and-error grind trying to do it blind.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Now that's not all what Selphie's about...

She's also the first party member to suggest terrorism or murder as a method of completing nearly any SEED mission!

Lovable rascal, she is.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

You aren't going to beat Penance and the Dark Aeons with that attitude.

Don’t play FFX’s awful post-game.

Also, Yojimbo exists.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I've thought about emulating CC sometime when the mood strikes me. It was pretty popular back in the day, although I'd say the opinion on it has soured somewhat with time. What's the gameplay like?

LR is about Lightning and therefore I don't care about it. Might as well have made Cait Sith Returns. I also know the story such as it is from watching cutscenes on YT so all it has left is gameplay and I was not interested by what I saw.

Crisis Core is a pretty simple action RPG- you move in basic 3D arenas and get some basic attacks and can equip materia to get access to a few additional attacks. You spend a fair amount of time getting interrupted by the game's obnoxious slot machine gimmick, but otherwise the combat's a good time when the challenge is right. Which.... leads to the main problem (besides Genesis) with Crisis Core: the game's difficulties are wildly unbalanced. Normal's pretty much a cakewalk if you put any amount of thought into your build, while Hard is a bigger challenge... but only because the HP and damage numbers of the enemies get bloated into the stratosphere so unless you're using a cheese build like Costly Punch every fight takes forever and you die in three hits so you gotta play scared as hell, making these slogs even sloggier.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The right way to tackle that terrible gap between end of ARR and the start of Heavensward is absolutely to take breaks to binge the side content. I joined in 3.1 and found the gap relatively painless by taking the time to go unlock and run the next part of the Crystal Tower, some side dungeons I had quests open for, or getting my Free Company to go run another block of Binding Coil whenever I got tired of getting herbs to cover that Chocobo smell or contemplating drowning every Doman refugee in the ocean.

That said, the hundred quest war against your sanity is genuinely bad and the supposed culling it's getting comes 5.3 sometime late spring/early summer is a big boon toward me being willing to tell people to actually spend time with the game. Final Fantasy XIV in it's current incarnation really is the actual best Final Fantasy game, but the ARR-era MSQ is not indicative of what the rest of the game looks like but everyone has to go through it first and I've already had to reassure two other people 'no, really, this gets better I swear.'

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Breaking free of the Occuria possibly lead to the extinction of the Nu Mou and the Seeq, the two best races, so it was bad.

The Nu Mou have managed to escape to the best Final Fantasy, where they continue to be Good Boys to this day.

Normally.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I like Snow because he *is* a takedown of the plucky shonen hero. He's got a good heart and intentions and in another story he'd absolutely be everything he thinks he wants to be but this universe does not have loving time for that and it punishes him for it at virtually every turn. FFXIII treats Snow worse then even most Final Fantasy fans and spends three games kicking him in the junk repeatedly. I blame Snow's problems as a character largely on FFXIII's broken storytelling method of starting with the middle of the story and slowly parceling out the past- Snow makes a hell of a lot more sense (and is a much, much better character for it) once you the full story of him and Serah but you don't get that part of the story until fifteen hours in and everything Snow does that makes everyone angry is in the first three and that's a long time for folks to sit on this walking disaster of a self-proclaimed hero before getting the pathos of his character arc.

That said, I've seen this concept done better in games then XIII did it- woe be it for me to recommend a Tales game that isn't Vesperia for a drat thing, but Asbel Lhant from Tales of Hearts is a beautiful example this kind of character getting the absolute piss taken out of them and why this character can be great and actually become the kind of hero they want to be.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, I don't see a XIII script that I can use to emphasize how much more Snow talks himself up, so I'll just leave it at this:

Locke just wants to be known by a less-negative phrase than "thief". Treasure hunter (or "adventurer") does not imply any inherent altruism or benevolence in the person, and he doesn't go around telling everyone he's a savior and is going to fix all their problems.

Snow specifically calls himself a "hero", which is a phrase that very much implies altruism and benevolence. Going around telling people how great you are is a grating trait, especially when you're doing it blissfully unbothered by all the people that just died following you.

The fact that Snow and Locke are both people with dead girlfriends who try to help people does not mean they behave the same.

The reason people like Locke is because he goes through the exact same character arc except the failure is what happens offscreen and in a flashback, while you basically watch Locke get to play the hero he insists he is until he, y'know, lets his anger at the Empire get the better of him and loses faith in Celes. Then he transitions slowly to the guy he is in the World of Ruin- done fighting, only really looking towards his own desires and goals until his dead girlfriend gets to tell him to get over it and get back to living in the world.

The first thing Snow does is play big drat heroes for a lot of folks on the death train, and the second thing you see him do is screw up and get Hope's mom killed thanks to his big show of bravado, but it's easy to forget that everyone on that train was basically already going to die- at least as far as almost everyone involved on both sides knew- and the only way they weren't would be to move their rear end before they get rounded up again. Once again, XIII's story is good but it's storytelling sucks and does it no favors. Think of it more if you started VI in Vector and only got the South Figaro and Opera House sequences as a flashback once you got him back in the World of Ruin.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

sponges posted:

Does Tactics Advance ever get difficult? I’m breezing through it so far and I usually suck poo poo at video games

If you're playing fair, sure. The last stretch can get a little rough, especially if you're not running a ton of unnecessary sidequests.

If you're loading up on Assassins and Summoners and Blue Mages spamming a couple particular spells (most notably the all-field sleep spell) and boosted Illusionists, no never. FFTA is a very very easy game to break if you even begin to try.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Pyrus Malus posted:

After playing some Tactics Ogre - was FF Tactics originally supposed to be a Tactics Ogre sequel or something??

I'm playing the Let Us Cling Together remake on PSP and I'm assuming the 1995 version wasn't in 3d but they seem really close both aesthetically and gameplay-wise and I know Square has a history of slapping FF onto things to get better sales numbers....

Final Fantasy Tactics is a spiritual successor of sorts- back when FFT was made, the developer of Ogre Battle, Quest, was a separate entity. Square hired multiple Quest staff members- Matsuno, the game's director being the best known of the group- after the release of Tactics Ogre to develop a TRPG for their Final Fantasy franchise.

NikkolasKing posted:

NHK has been doing these huge surveys of various big franchises and here is the one for Final Fantasy
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/01/nhk-every-final-fantasy-grand-vote-intermediate-results-announced-characters-bosses-summons-and-music

The Top characters are easy to predict from the ones who didn't make it. Cloud, Tifa, Aeriith, Tidus, Yuna and...then somebody else. Who cares.

I'm most interested in what will be the Top 3 songs chosen.

Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, Tidus, Yuna, Y'shtola, Lightning, Cecil, Rydia are all pretty easy guesses. Who the 10th character is I'm not sure. Is Rinoa more popular then Squall in Japan, because if it's not her it's probably some XIV character who's popularity I'm grossly underestimating (Alphinaud?) Or maybe Kefka, although Kefka placing above Sephiroth end Emet-Selch in a popularity poll would be an even bigger surprise, although him placing above any of the FFVI heroes absolutely wouldn't be.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 11, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

HD DAD posted:

I’m as old as Cid and he still seems 20 years older than me.

The greatest proof of all that draining all the mako from the lifestream is having adverse affects on all life.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I mean, that's basically what they had to do before the Warrior of Light and his group of 3-7 friends who are always conveniently just off-screen showed up. Which was hell on morale, since not only did you have to fight your way through the primal's beastman followers to get to the primal, but then you had to face off against a physical god who could instantly brainwash you or your buddies into being their loyal minions with almost no effort, forcing you to have to slaughter a large part of you own forces just to get the job done.

Yeah, a huge part of the Titan lead-up is supposed to be telling you exactly what a huge goddamn deal the Company of Heroes taking down Titan the last time he was summoned was. It was a large team of adventurers with a ton of support behind them and the plan they used was ultimately very desperate and not all of them made it back, with those who did still bearing scars from the experience.

Instead it comes off more as Fetch Quest Lulz and a lead-up to Goblin Cheese Wars but maybe the ARR rework coming this summer will help fix that.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

FF fanbase has good and sensible opinions it seems.

Why is Type-0 at 16 though? Like 16 is low but seriously Type-0 in the top 20?

That's still not that low- Type-0 came in over any of the main entry sequels (After Years, X-2, XIII-2 and 3), any Chocobo's Dungeon game, any Dissidia, the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games, any of the mobile games (really surprised to see Mobius there. Isn't that game being put to rest?) or any of the three Theaterythm titles. That's... highly generous, although part of that might be fonder memories of Type-0's original release as a PSP game, where it probably played (comparatively) better then the full console release it got when it finally escaped Japan.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

The evil religion in X is very buddhist.

It's very both. Deliberately so.

The parts of the religion pulled from Buddhism are the average beliefs of the common folk and especially the summoners, are closer to the natural order of things and are generally good aspects of the religion. Meanwhile the Catholic-based aspects of the Church like the power structure, the worship of a sacrificial messiah, and punishment of sins past are falsehoods and shackles passed down by the elite few in power with knowledge of the truth and the actions of the past that have perverted it, and generally represent the batshit evil parts.

FFX is not a very subtle game.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 1, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

precision posted:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if 16 is the sequel to 14.

I would be, if just because XIV is still three years out from completing the plotline planned out for it since A Realm Reborn (as told by the director in past interviews, at least) and I'd be really surprised if we went almost a decade since the formal announcement of Final Fantasy XV without getting a reveal for XVI.

Now, Final Fantasy 17 is probably a safe bet.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

No

Not sure where this 'Japanese tradition' thing came from but there's plenty of examples where they recast characters, just off the the top of my head Lupin III and Claire from Cold Steel.

It happens from time to time when a VA passes, at least for a little while. It's not common and it rarely sticks on any major character in a big franchise, but it does occur.

Most famous example I can think of is Tekken, when they retired Old Heihachi for a bit after Daisuke Gori died, even going so far as to create a wacky plot excuse to have young Heihachi show up for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (as well as have young Heihachi be the character that showed up in crossover stuff at the time like Playstation All Stars and Project X-Zone) But even that got undone when they finally released the next main game in the Tekken line and Heihachi was back to being a 70+ year old man.

That said, for a game as high-profile as FF7 Remake, with a bunch of plot beats already kinda set in stone due to the source material? Reno'll be recast 100%.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

So its my favorite one and they could have made a really good sequel but instead they threw out its strengths to not very well shore up its weaknesses for no discernible reason.

That's not terribly fair to Lightning Returns, which for better or for worse is pretty much just reuses FFXIII assets to make a very different kind of RPG that honestly deserves to stand or fail on it's own merits outside of the greater XIII cluster.

... that's TERRIBLY fair to FFXIII-2 tho, which threw the baby out with the bathwater to make a RPG that was mediocre in all areas, instead of the game of extreme strengths of weaknesses that was the original XIII. You're either going to love or hate XIII, but XIII-2 is such an inoffensive grey mush of an RPG that just doesn't really have any compelling reason to exist. The change to the 3rd party member breaks the combat system into a boring shell of it's previous self, the non-linear aspects are handled so poorly that it makes navigating the game a miserable mess despite the fact that there's still only one way forward, and holy poo poo gently caress everything about the central plot of the game and all this lore background poo poo FFXIII didn't have time to care about suddenly becoming the central aspect to making the story make any goddamn sense. It just feels like Are You Happy Now? the video game- a surface-level addressing of the complaints about the original XIII without actually bothering to make sure the finished product was one worth having.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Except LR was just as heavy on the FNC mythos as XIII-2. Only now it's Big Boobed Lightning's solo adventure because of course that's what Toriyama always wanted. Also Hope is a kid again because Reasons.

How anyone can criticize XIII-2's plot right after defending LR is a wonder to me.

And having been one of those people dissatisfied with XIII's lack of towns, painful linearity and awful pacing, I found XIII-2 a suitable redress of my grievances. There are actual NPCs to talk to, towns to explore and the entire game is built around whatever pace you wanna give it., Progress with the main story or veer off and do whatever the gently caress you want. I was actually invested in the world and its inhabitants this time around.

I missed having a real party but since that was all FFXIII had going for it, I'll take XIII-2 giving us only two playable characters and a bunch of other things I liked vs. FFXIII giving me one thing I liked and a bunch of things I hated.

LR's plot is dumb but it's dumb in a way where you can ignore the FNC stuff until the bonus time endgame. It's an apocalypse story with the main character being a surly psychopomp who's just tired of this poo poo and 90% of the plot of the game is just getting people to move on from this dead world.

I will give you that the last 10% is really loving stupid tho, aye.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

YggiDee posted:

FFVI had some good steals because you can steal Ribbons and Three Star/Celestriad accessories off random encounters.

VI's steal has problems with the curve tho. You steal 98% garbage on the World of Balance, and any value you get off Steal in the World of Ruin is counterbalanced by Locke being a colossal pain in the rear end to get compared to most of the rest of the cast. Gogo exists, I guess, if you really really gotta get your steal on but Gogo's (unfixable since they can't use Espers) awful base stats remain a thorn in the side.

IX consistantly has the most valuable steal targets, but god Zidane is so bad at it before Master Thief, IV has the same problem where Edge can actually steal some useful consumables but his steal percentage is just absolutely dreadful unless grossly overleveled and the only way to make it any better can't exist with him at the same time in most versions of the game (Porem's Cry command, of all goddamn things, increases Edge's likelihood of stealing in some versions of the game, including all the SNES versions where Porem has Cry. I cannot imagine this was anywhere near common knowledge before Free Enterprise was a thing)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It's very, very hard to jump the power curve in XIII, yeah. It's mostly tied to crafting, and crafting materials are gated pretty hard by Gil, which at the earliest is farmable in Chapter 9 and realistically you're not going to be getting enough to really dig into it until Pulse. There isn't any 'got this weapon early' or 'this ability comes ahead of where I should be right now power-wise' in the game since even the great weapons need leveling to really shine. If all you're looking for is something to power through the early game, just upgrade the various +Str/Mag/HP accessories and maybe start thinking about really starting weapon upgrades around Chapter 9 or 10.

If you're really going to go for a weapon or two as well, though, then Sahz's Deneb Duelers are probably the most feasible and famous of the early 'budget' weapons for getting an early-game power spike- they're found early for free, give Sahz a colossal magic boost, have a fairly low upgrade cost and use one of the cheapest materials to upgrade to Tier 2. They even remain one of his better options late game. It'll definitely add some punch to Sahz as a RAV, which is probably his only good role besides SYN until you unlock basically the entirety of the Crystarium and get his better SAB abilities. Some characters get a lot more mileage out of weapons they can access early then others- Lightning and Snow's starter weapons are even feasible, if not optimal endgame tools for them.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. For most of the main game Hope is the defensive SYN, Sahz is the offensive one. Sahz is generally the more useful of the two since FFXIII isn't a game for cowards friendly to 'sustainable' strategies but they serve such a different purpose.

The spells each miss out on are Veil for Sahz and Vigilance for Hope- Vigilance is usually the more useful of the two since you're far more likely to lose fights because of getting flinched out of moves at critical moments then you are getting Status effects on you can just Esuna off, but on the fight where Veil is better then Vigilance, it's usually a LOT more important then Vigilance is.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats the best way to play those now, bc on xbone? i always heard the pc version sucked

There's arguments for either the PC version or the PS3 version of FFXIII

PS3 version
-Works best out of the box.
-Is the only version with 1080p pre-rendered movies. (The XBox and PC both use lower quality cutscenes)
-PS Trophies

PC Version
-Works best if willing to fiddle- FFXIII backed by a beefy rig was a drat nice looking game on PC.
-Has dual audio and uncompressed music/voice (can be a con, download is nearly 60 gigs)
-Has since had Steam Achievements added.

The X-Box version is generally the worst of both worlds due to the DVD forcing heavy video AND audio compression while also usually having the worst load times. The PC ports generally all suffer from being pretty straight porting experiences moreso then being 'bad'- they're pretty bare-bones as far as what you'd expect from a PC game, even of their era. It should also be noted that for FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns the PC version is the clear winner on both if you've got a rig that can run them at least at a steady 30 FPS, so the PC is probably going to give the best experience over all three games, just be ready to fiddle with bits to make the original FFXIII a better experience.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

The Bone version of FFXIII is flat superior to the PS3 version. It runs at double the resolution, consistently higher framerate, and has new 4k renders of the cutscenes which is exclusive to it.

The only debate is that the PC version still runs at a higher resolution (doubling the 360/pS3 gets you to like 1040p a weird resolution for sure) but the PC version hates a lot of gamepads

Oh neat, the X-Bone got an improved release of it? I didn't realize that.

Whatever else Microsoft hosed up this generation, they at least have put some effort into making their backwards-facing efforts worthwhile.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

14 hours and got to pulse in FFXIII, trying to make a party with the three characters I dont use and finish the game with them; Sazh, Snow, and Vanille.

This is agony, theyre so bad compared to Fang/Lightning/Hope at this stage in the game that after getting nuked by seraphic rays from Cid I swapped parties and then beat Cid in a single stagger and juggled him in the air so he never even got to do his metamorphosis.

Yeah, the main problem there is that once you stagger the enemy... what do you do? Snow's a late bloomer as a Commando (though great when he finally gets there) and Sahz and Vanille are... non-bloomers as Commandos. Sazh can at least spam Blitz on big targets, but Cid's just a dude-sized dude. That said, swapping any one member out for Lightning or Fang and you get a pretty solid team.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Silly of being silly, was Zozo supposed to be a town of horribly poor people?

More or less. Zozo is specifically supposed to be the lower class of Jidoor that have left the city for some reason or another. While the game is never clear if this is a 'casting out' by the upper class, inability to afford to live in Jidoor proper, or some kind of voluntary migration, the city is represented entirely by folks that are active muggers, criminally insane, or pathological liars. So unless there's some completely untold story about the struggling lower class that live cooped up in fear of their towering residential complexes being completely overrun by violent thugs and Batman villains, it's not terribly hard to call Jidoor isolating themselves from them as the right move.

I mean, the implications are hosed up- it was 26 years ago when the game came out and has only gotten worse as the global right have continued efforts to criminalize poverty in an attempt to strip the rights of those too poor to fight for them- but the game does absolutely nothing to show Zozo as little more as that world's version of Arkham City. It's a LOT like the child soldiers in FF8- we know it's terrible but nothing in the context of the game says it was the wrong thing to do because that's not the story the game was telling. (I mean, except it kinda was because one of FFVI's core themes is finding a better way and doing the right thing in even the bleakest of times, but that doesn't matter if the rich are still doing ok, I guess.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 13, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BaDandy posted:

Hi everyone.

I decided that I wanted to try and actually get/beat the earlier Final Fantasies. I have the DS version of IV, and I used to have the DS version of the first one but I can't find it anymore. Assume I'm talking about I-VI, minus IV. What platforms should I get them on? I don't have a Super Nintendo anymore and I was going to try Steam, but I wanted people's recommendations first.

All right-

FF1- Best version is the Origins version for the PS1- it keeps a lot of the design of the original, but fixes most of the MASSIVE pile of bugs that consist of 80% of the NES version's code. The later versions are there if they're what you've got, but the new content is tedious and overall bad and the changes to game balance robs the main game of any challenge (which just makes it a boring walk to the finish until the sudden difficulty spike that is Chaos)

FF2- Any version GBA or beyond version is probably fine here. The PSP version is probably the best, but also by far the most limited in access.

FF3- Emulate the translated NES ROM. The 3DS/Mobile/Steam version of this game hates you.

FF5- Emulate the GBA ROM if you can, play the Steam version if you can't.

FF6- I hate that this game has no definitive version
Play SNES if you are willing to deal with bugs and gameplay issues for the sweet pixelart and awesome soundtrack
Play the GBA version if you want somewhat fixed up gameplay (albut with some fresh new bugs) and the sweet pixelart, but the music getting crammed through a shredder.
Play the mobile/Steam version if you want the best version of the gameplay and all that beautiful music, but willing to deal with all the non-enemy graphics looking bland and cheaply made.
Translation changes from SNES to the other versions and gains more consistency in tone and changes some ambiguous phrasing about some stuff but loses the Woolsey flair that adds to a fair number of characters (particularly Kefka)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 22, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It wants you to do some of the missions and spend time in Gran Pulse now that you're free of corridors not carry straight on the the next objective marker. A lot of the enemies there are way above your level and to be avoided for now.

Yeah, you're intended to be spending a bit of time in Pulse now- I think you MUST do at least 6 of the game's missions, and I'm pretty sure the game intends you to clear out the first 22 or so (enough to finish D-rank) before moving on to Chapter 12. You'll be getting stronger as you go, and this is also the first real point in the game you'll be getting the gold and resources to really dig into weapon enhancement, which should be a giant power spike. Clear some missions, and if you hit a mission and struggle to get a good ranking for it see what you can fix up in your equipment.

You can probably beeline missions from when you first get a chance to and do pretty ok unless you just haven't upgraded gear at all. If you haven't now is the time- the game is only going to ramp from here, and if you're not dealing with normal Gran Pulse encounters pretty well by the time you leave Chapter 12 will eat you.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Mascot is fine if you want to sit in one generalist job and coast.

But everything else in the game system will basically tell you 'you're doing it wrong' and Mascot gets outperformed in every role by specialists. Sometimes extremely so.

In a system that lets you change jobs whenever you want.

And rewards you for doing it.

(Mascot is good but gets overrated a lot for the game it is in. It would be broken in a more traditional FF job system tho.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

It's been a long time since I've played X-2, but what about it would be better in another job system game?

I sort of assumed it was the end-all, be-all postgame dressphere for X-2 just based on watching videos of some of the postgame bosses like Trema, where players seem to spend as much of the battle as possible using Mascot (perhaps after taking a lap around the garment grid for gate bonuses), but it's possible that's not the best way to do it but it's just a way that works.

Back when I played the game myself I sorta ignored the superbosses like I did in FFX, though I think going after them in X-2 does seem like more fun than in X itself (if only because it seems a lot less grindy than sphere grid maxing).

Because FFX-2 by it's nature is a game that rewards specialization. Time for DPS? Mascot is ok at that... or you can just swap that character to a Dark Knight or Black Mage and really lay into them. Time to support? Well ok, Mascot can provide that... but if you really want to prop your team up you can do it better as an Alchemist or Songstress.

Any time you're doing something as a Mascot, you can be doing it BETTER as something else. X-2 doesn't lock you into a job for a fight, but a set of jobs and it's not hard to get each girl within one switch to whatever you need from something better at providing it. Mascot is not without merit- Yuna in particular gets a nice combo of support powers while porting over Warrior and Dark Knight abilities making it a strong attacker and support in one- but action economy is the strictest economy in X-2 and why be the guy who is good at a lot of things but only gets one action at a time when you can be the one who's busted at the thing you're doing right now even if it's all it does?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

Interesting. At some point I'm going to have to try the endgame/postgame myself, then.

It occurs to me that Mascot gets used for Trema most often just because of its inherent Ribbon, huh

Yeahz I will give it that. Ribbon is nice when you get it but prying it out of Mascot takes too goddamn long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

I dont like snow because he fucks off for like 40% of the game and his duo section is the worst in the game due to the whole "party leader is game over" thing.

The absolute biggest dick move is to take an absolute unit like Snow, and force you to do arguably the toughest duo section with him and have Hope locked as your leader.

Like, gently caress you there's the brick shithouse right over there but your fate is instead tied to five foot nothing of straw and sadness who explodes into a fine mist if he's even with in a vague progimity of the absolute pounding that Snow's taking during that whole section.