Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
more like final fartasy imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leal posted:

Final Fantasy IX is the Best Final Fantasy.

Actually its Final Fantasy III also known as Doki Doki Panic in Japan

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It isn't. Which brings us to the Official tier list.

S: 4, 5, 6, 7
A: 9, 10-2, 13: LR, Tactics
B: 3, 10, 12, 13, 13-2, 14
C: 1, 8, 15, CC
D: 11, MQ
F: 2

I've seen worse lists but lmfao at 4 in S tier

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Intend to finish FFVIII on Steam since I first played it 20 years ago only to never beat the german space-witch. My brother got the game for his birthday and he was a fan, but he also never got to the end and he never will now.

What are all the ridiculous ways you can break the game's balance into pieces without using cheats? Never level-up? Get the best weapons and limits early? Draw a 100 Ultimas in Disc 1?

I'm a fan of fighting Diabolos right away, card farm until you unlock no encounter, then play the rest of the game like a boss rush with cutscenes.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
As in with each of them as the first pick? That would take forever!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

kirbysuperstar posted:

That one loving entrance to the Necrohol lmao

This is the best.

Anyways use a float mote op

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Amppelix posted:

This is just more pointless menuing which is what I'm complaining about in the first place

Yeah but this protects you from all traps so you don't have to look for the right cure and it lasts awhile so you can bypass multiple trap layouts with one menu session

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The IZJS/ZA versions definitely have an easier progression curve since the condensed boards mean it take less LP to rush to the good licenses. Having two jobs also helps but its not as OP as you might think at first glance since the license boards share nodes so you aren't doubling up on attack, hp, etc.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
"for some reason"

:thunk:

13 is fine, I think the battle system is pretty cool and the music is great

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Measures apply buffs to anything you attack. They are basically pointless

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

morallyobjected posted:

just got The Zodiac Age and I can't remember the weirdness around turning in bazaar items. am I supposed to hoard them forever and turn them all in at once near the end or turn stuff in as I go?

The trick is that item turn ins can count for multiple recipes if you complete the recipes at the same time. Again, this really only applies to late game stuff that you'll be farming specifically for anyways, but it is important to know since it ultimately means less grinding.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm strangely hype for it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hot and cold is fine but lol its in no way better than triple triad

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Was that stuff not expected?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I thought breath of fire was a capcom series?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mandoric posted:

Classic difficulty would be nice as a definitely definitive version, but there's so much other potential in modding too. Being able to see what makes everything tick in FF1-6 without statistical analysis or 6502 disassembly, taking what appears to be the first fully working implementation of FF1 ever and giving it monster stats to match the new player power curve rather than rebreaking it to fit the reinserted old power curve, the incredible possibility for randomizers and FF5r/FF6T/FF6BNW style hacks since at the very least all the data structures are prebuilt to include every gimmick from every game, even potentially wilder things like "what if THF was still bad but FF1 had ATB so they could be bad twice as often as anyone else was good" or conversely "make Cyan useful by making FF6 turn-based".

you're making me excited about these remasters in a way I was not expecting

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alxprit posted:

Here's one with transparency. Do with it what you will.

good rear end av

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cleretic posted:

The challenge with 'fixing the Junction system' is figuring out exactly what part is broken, as opposed to 'being abused by people who hate having fun'. Like, I don't think there's a form of that system that won't be obliteratable by someone willing to spend hours eating trading cards. But I do think it's possible to make it work without outright encouraging people to go 'empty grindfest'.

From my perspective, the things you have to do...
1. Don't make junctionable spells an expendable resource. This whole dynamic basically ruins FFVIII's gameplay, because it means doing interesting things is punished. Perhaps divide the possible spells into two groups: 'junctionable' spells that are infinite in use and are just powered up by drawing and are typically not that interesting or powerful (your basic elemental and healing spells), and 'rare' spells that can't get junctioned but are much stronger to use (Quake, Haste, Triple, etc). Maybe throw some status spells in the 'rare' category so we have the excuse to make them stronger.
2. Decide a point somewhere in the last two discs where we're okay with poo poo getting wild, and really make sure that none of the spells you can reliably get before that (including through refining items) are the big-ticket ones for stats. We'll have to accept that there will be a 'Merged World in FFV' point where people can really start angling for some wild poo poo, and make sure that very little of that wild poo poo is available before then.
3. Give Card Mod to, like, Cactaur instead of Quetzacoatl. Early access to Card Mod is what really creates that 'grind junctions like mad for the start of the game' angle that gives the Junction system such a bad rap; I'm okay with having it there, but it needs to be WELL out of the way so that people know it's not how you're supposed to do it.
4. Swap Diabolos and Doomtrain. While not as guilty as Card Mod, Enc-Half and Enc-None are a huge aid to the outlook of 'you should never level at all ever'; it shouldn't be early-game, or even easy to get. Meanwhile Doomtrain is mostly neat status effect and convenience stuff that's nice to have but not a dealbreaker, which is perfect for 'optional early-game boss reward'.

I would never want to lose the ability to get enc-none early and turn the game into boss rush mode. That's one of those broken in a fun way things, imo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

thetoughestbean posted:

Man… Calvin and Hobbes was so good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
this for FF5

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Grevlek posted:

Where can we get the font fixes for the pixel remaster? It looks like there is a pretty good Mystic Quest pack, can anyone recommend that or the Final Fantasy 6 Font?

I use the FF6 one and its great imo and I haven't noticed any weird issues with length or whatever. It feels like the most Final Fantasy option to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
CC looks amazing when the textures are upscaled although admittedly I haven't found an emulator configuration that actually runs it well like this.