Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not surprised, and I do suspect a lot of the changes are probably the rather stereotypical representations of (coded) gay men. It was confirmed ages ago that they wanted to keep the cross dressing and the Honey Bee Inn in, but that they were going to most likely have to make some changes due to today's standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My biggest laugh with all of this is there was this anonymous Reddit post laying out how it was going to only be two games and it'd end with the stabbing bit, the Red XIII clones were back, just all this sort of stuff. And everyone took it at face value, believing it wholeheartedly.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still hoping they don't go all in with orchestral/symphonic versions of the songs. The original FFVII soundtrack has more of an electronic vibe to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6GrZYE2il0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs

I can't see Crazy Motorcycle working in an orchestral version at all, either.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I still boggle over the fact the Tempering guide on GameFAQs is 100 some odd KB by itself. That's bonkers for a guide dealing with just one mechanic.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

The best part is that I'm pretty sure it's still missing a lot of info. That's not a knock on the writer, crafting is just that obtuse.

Also completely unnecessary, which is the best part.

Seriously. I read through the guide, tried it out, and still understand NOTHING about what did what and how.

I read something elsewhere with rumblings they want to remake LoM if Trials does well. I hope that happens, solely so maybe the systems get explained better.

I was honestly not surprised when playing it to look at the staff list and find Akitoshi Kawazu's name staring back at me. Man is the God-King of "You wanna know how this thing in my game works? Screw you."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Thanks guys, think i'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride with this one!

Even with the usual Akitoshi Kawazu "Pfh, explanations are for scrubs" aspect, it's honestly one of my favorite PSX games, so I hope you enjoy it. I still think it's one of the most gorgeous games of its era, and you can never go wrong with a Yoko Shimomura soundtrack. The basic "beating up monsters" gameplay is also solid.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Honestly I don't see the problem. Tifa's still got good sized titties, they're just not huge retarded fake 90s titties

B..buh...censorship....SJWs!

That's basically what it comes down to for like...95% of the people complaining about Tifa's breasts in FFVIIR. The other 5% are more upfront with "I just like big tits".

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Whalley posted:

I'm mad they're not putting hella tiddies on everyone else.

Best Waifu is obviously Barret with a ginormous rack to go with the gun show.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Scoss posted:

I honestly didn't even realize they changed Tifa's bust until people started whining. She looked about right to me, in line with the general move towards more realistically proportioned character designs and away from straight anime. The designs are still not exactly photoreal (i.e. Last of Us), but they are way more naturalistic and the rendering is now definitely photoreal. Huge honkers from the original design would have looked comically out of place with the new art direction.

It's really, really obvious what it's really about when far less people are complaining that Cloud's hair is less insane. They can crow about the original designs all they like, but....

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

zenguitarman posted:

I've been wanting to replay this too and get this on my phone, but I'm afraid it's going to be too easy and I don't really want to spend money on something that's not really going to be a challenge...

If you're down with emulating, the PSP emulates really well these days, and there's a patch to remove the slowdown from that version. Could be a good way to test if you like it before shelling out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought the Mana series was it's own thing, but is it actually a sub-series in the Final Fantasy franchise?

It's its own series now, but the first game was a FF spin off. Japanese title was Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Yeah it's hard to blame any of the early FF translations for their issues. FF4 was translated by Japanese people in a month, FF6 was translated by Woolsey from a bunch of random looseleaf pieces of paper out of order, FF7 was the same as FF4, FF8 was literally translated on a Gameshark. I think FF9 was the first one to have a reasonable translation cycle, since so much of the development was done in Hawaii. Though the funny thing about that is the Hawaii influence affected FF10, not FF9.

The fact that early FF games were even coherent is a miracle. People rag on them sometimes, but seriously....we could have ended up with a bunch of Breath of Fire 2s in terms of quality and that we didn't is amazing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I read an interview one time where he didn't outright say, but it's pretty clear he was not entirely pleased with the translation of Secret of Mana. He did what he could, but they gave him 30 days, and then he had to cut down his initial translation by quite a bit because it wasn't going to fit in the game.

I respect what he did, for sure, though I prefer more of a middle ground between straight translation and localization than he went for. He very clearly had a passion for translation, which shows. But he also was working under very tight constraints. Time, space, and Nintendo's rules. And that also shows. I think my favorite translation of his is Super Mario RPG. His style of translation really works for that one.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Hojo

Arguably Cecil

VIII Cid as well, if you want to count him as a dad.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

quote:

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up. I've heard 15 plays similarly to Kingdom Hearts, which I also enjoyed.

If you enjoyed the job system games, you might like 4 Heroes of Light (though this one has some issues), Bravely Default, and Bravely Second.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i'm the opposite of this, i despise kingdom hearts combat but i thought ff15 was brilliant. you have to turn the numbers off and you can actually see things though

Same for me. Though, admittedly, the camera does sometimes lose its mind. Either "I know a battle is going on but this bush is so fascinating", or parking itself squarely up Noctis' rear end.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, that's my biggest issue with the Ardyn poo poo. Petty dickhead gods are worldwide. A large portion of the world having the concept of an omnipotent, omnipresent, all loving deity is fairly recent in the grand scheme of things.

The Roman/Greek gods were primo asshats. Over in Japan, Susano-O and Amaterasu got into a fight over the pettiest of poo poo, and Amaterasu shut herself up in a cave only to be lured out by a hot chick dancing naked and some mirrors. Over in Egypt, Set killed his brother and chopped him into bitty bits, and then moved on the sexually assault his nephew. Closer to home, old Testament YHWH was a straight rear end in a top hat, see: stuff like Job.

Petty, asshat gods that you have to follow because they're gods is not an uncommon thing. It doesn't make them evil. It just makes them imperfect.

Also, FFXV very clearly had themes of questioned faith and willing sacrifice. Making Bahamut straight up cartoonish evil goes "Pfh, you never just have to trust in faith, and make sacrifices for the greater good. If you just try hard enough, everything is sunshine and rainbows."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

nrook posted:

Playing FF12 for the first time is just making me want to play FFTA2 again.

I wonder why a FFTA3 was never created? I can't imagine it's creative reasons, since it's not like 2 was a profound work of art or anything, it was just a fun game with good systems. And I think the game was successful. I would have bought a 3, at least.

Both FFTA and A2 sold considerably less than the first iteration did, so I suspect they were shelved beyond assets being reused for Crystal Defenders on mobile.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Looper posted:

x was the formative rpg for a lot of people my age and slightly younger, the same way vii, vi, iv, and i were for y'all olds

my first and most nostalgic ff was ix and i played it years after release lol

Ouch, now I feel very old. My formative one was the first one (I was five when it came to the states).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I remember when RPGClassics used to be THE place to go for some in-depth guides. Still has some of the better ones, for a few games.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

I do recall a lot of dismay at FF3's ultra-long final (?) dungeon, but is the game really that much of a wash?

Only asking because I just launched it from Steam for the first time ever. Honestly kept forgetting I picked up in... [checks Steam log] November of 2014 from some other key seller.

I'd honestly give it a bit of a shot. I know plenty of people don't like the DS (mobile/Steam/etc) version, but I've known others, including myself, who do. If you don't like it, don't force yourself to complete it, but also don't take other people not liking it to mean you also won't.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I also liked FF2 "well enough" and that's despite spending a third of my play-time grinding out spells.

I'm alright with FFII as well, after the initial slog. Once you get more tools at your disposal, the leveling system is...a tad janky, but game is a'ight.

I think aside from the outliers in game play though, the answer to anyone who enjoys some of the series asking "Will I like (insert entry here)?" just always should be "Try it. If you don't like it, drop it. If you do, great." Not everyone is going to like every entry. Not everyone is going to dislike the generally disliked ones, and not everyone is going to like those held up as the best in the series.

Like, myself. If I took the general fandom opinion as the gospel truth, I'd still be regularly throwing myself at VI, when I honestly just do not like it at all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

pretty soft girl posted:

Hey it's the one other guy who doesn't like FF6, what's up bud

:hfive:

It honestly kind of sucks, though. I can see pieces of a game I'd enjoy buried inside it, but taken as a whole, it just...does nothing for me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You want some FF wrong-think, my favorite is IV, which is pretty typically well liked. But the constant rotating slapfight for my second favorite depends of which of the three I've most recently played. VIII, X, and....XV. Man, parts of the fandom blow the gently caress up if you admit to not only liking XV, but that it's one of your favorites.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like XIII, too, actually! I think the battle system is pretty baller.

I still need to get around to playing the sequels.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You ever want to make the FF subreddit mad? Tell them you don't like IX. Fun times, that.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I still don't get what people see in X.

I'm not trying to convince you to give the game another shot, but for me, I enjoyed the battle system, and I was overall impressed with the plot, for a FF game. Tidus made sense for being who he was going through what he was. And I thought it was pretty ballsy to have it end the way it did. I was expecting some trick to make everything sunshine and rainbows, but that they actually went with bittersweet came as a surprise.

There is also probably a hint of nostalgia. I was 16 when X dropped in the states, and while this is the remastered version, this scene is really the first time I can remember being just absolutely blown away that video games could look and sound like that. I'd been playing FF since I was six, starting with the first game. The PSX games had been impressive, but that was the first one to really just hit me with "Holy poo poo" about how they'd progressed. I was hooked from that moment on.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bravely Default, and Second are very much "FF but not".

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If you're not a fan of IV, I can absolutely suggest not bothering with TAY, and really not bothering with Interlude.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

9 is the worst one on ps1 :colbert:

Oh, I agree. They've just got a strooooong case of groupthink there, and I enjoyed riling them up. IX is one I feel similar to to VI. I can see the bits and pieces of a game I'd like in them, but the whole package just does not appeal to me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The default mapping for a 360 controller on the Steam version of VIIPC is....bizarre. Who thought this was a good idea for the button mapping?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've never been able to tolerate IX for almost entirely that reason. How drat slow it is places it firmly in my bottom two for mainline games. Well, that and I completely dislike the "learn abilities from equipment" mechanic in every game that's used it.

I've considered getting one of the newer ports, simply to see if fast forward can salvage the game for me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

FFX and FFX-2 have some extremely duct-taped together code so it's probably not possible to skip cutscenes without crashing the game. Maybe things get loaded and unloaded in the background while they're playing and the game isn't capable of just waiting for those loads to finish instead of outright crashing if you skip to the battle before it's ready to go. Something like that.

FFVII or so was the point at which they stopped making ritual bonfires of the game source code after release day at least (the only surviving VII source code was the PC port, after that they started actually archiving it).

They were pretty god awful about the source with VIII too. The only reason it got translated on time was because the translation team used a Gameshark or some poo poo to get at the text files, because Square just entirely failed at getting the code to them in a timely fashion.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

VI’s source code deserved to be burned.

VI doesn't so much have code as it does an obscure occult ritual that just happens to function on a SNES.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Minus1Minus1 posted:

You all are making me really interested in playing VIII past the first 20 minutes or so. Holy smokes- what kind of game did I miss???

It's kinda janky, but if you like breaking the mechanics of a game over your knee, it's good at that.

It's one of my favorites of the series, but it's...a troubled game, overall.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The story isn't really any more dumb than any of the others before it (all of them are preeeetty stupid when looked at with a critical eye), and I like the battle system, including the Junction system. VIII has issues, I won't deny that. But whether or not it's a good game is very much a subjective opinion.

ETA: Also Triple Triad is the greatest mini game in the series.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Force Your Way is a good song.

I still rock some of the VIII soundtrack on my "road trip" mixes (The Man with the Machine Gun is aces).

And while the FMVs have aged a bit, this scene is still pretty amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJa5AOMoG0

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

FF7 question: If I missed the Added Cut materia, can I go back and get it again soon, or should I just reload the previous save?

You can return to Great Glacier pretty much whenever, so long as Cloud is the party lead.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

somebody out here really be walking around thinking the bevelle cloister that they designed is fun and engaging gameplay huh

It's a toss up for me if I hate that one, or the Macalania one with the fiddly as hell pedestals you have to push around more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The chocobo stuff, blitzball, and lightning dodging sucked, but the worst for me was the butterflies. I have trouble distinguishing colors at times, and I was playing on an old lovely CRT television that occasionally needed a bit of percussive maintenance to work at all. That, plus the color scheme of the woods with the butterflies on top of that meant I never, ever managed to complete it until the HD version.