Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Failboattootoot posted:

Never got the coil love. T9 was bad enough that I gave up on raiding entirely and the writing was still ARR tier right up until t12 (which I know because I unsyn'c it eventually in hw)

Never got the hate for T9; I thought it was pretty fun and sufficiently challenging. In comparison, T13 was kind of boring for long stretches of the fight.

Gordias was some straight up raid-killing poo poo (I speak from personal experience) and the rest of Alexander was littered with some boring to just bad fights off-set by the music. Alex himself was fun, but I never did his savage raid.

I would have loved to have been able to do Omega Savage though (except Middy, all I've heard is that the fight is just terrible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I also like how when Cloud was having another Sephiroth vision, he ended up hitting his big rear end sword on the ceiling when he goes to attack.

Probably my favorite moment and I hope they play it straight. Hell, it kinda makes sense why Cloud would do a clumsy move like that in a lapse given his SOLDIER status of not being one and being a redshirt that happened to get some of the super soldier treatment

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never played Zodiac Age how do the 2 jobs work? Does it just mash together the 2 license boards

You switch between the two boards. And I think they just automatically give you overlapping licenses on one if you bought it on the other

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Relin posted:

i dont think episode ardyn hurt his character arc

thank god they ran out of money to do the actual plot-making GBS threads dlcs, which were of course novelized

I'm reading that novel right now and just finished Aranea's chapter

I'm legit mad that they didn't get the chance to make it because her chapter would have been metal as gently caress if they pulled it off (kinda wish they scrapped Episodes Gladiolus and shifted Prompto's stuff to the main loving story as a sacrifice for this)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

The Witcher did not invent fantasy taking place in a faux medieval European setting

Some posts out there elsewhere have me confused as gently caress; “this is just Witcher/GOT stuff, where’s the tech” like every FF up to VII, Tactics, and IX weren’t medieval fantasy settings

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Scoss posted:

It's the art direction, not just the genre. Photoreal faces, slightly more historical looking costume designs, but especially the drab color palettes and very mundane "castle keep interior" and "earn european bog" environments in the trailer. Yes, classic final fantasy was also medieval fare, but it was always significantly more colorful and stylized.

It's probably hard to go for that look with 2D sprites, but I would bet that if FFT was re-imaged in full 3D, it would pretty much be a lot of this. Hell, something like Vagrant Story was 90% dark brown catacombs, dark gray old castle, and wine cellar but it still turned out alright.

I'm thinking the game is pretty far off and they were only able to show maybe one shanty town and a bog, because even if it is "drab", I doubt that's all there will be even based on this team.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Keep in mind that FF13 and 15 were able to show big dramatic stuff because they had that poo poo done before they even know how it played or what purpose it had in the plot.

This is an important point too; remember that people didn't even loving know how XIII or XV would play for years, and their demos were wildly not very representative of what we got in the end product.

The fact that they even have gameplay in working order hopefully bodes well for a smoother production than their of those two

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So, what if we don't like the fact it looks like bad prestige TV, and also, separately, that it looks like Devil May Cry without guns?

Then I guess you can accept that the game is not for you, you move on, and that is 100% fine.

I don't know if venting about it for the next three years would be productive or receptive, however, but you do you.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I’d just like the game to be loving complete this time unlike XV, or a cohesive story where it’s not apparent that “oh gently caress you had this character as a boss for chapter 12? But story had him die in a CG scene on screen in Chapter 5! poo poo!!” happened behind the scenes like in XIII

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I admired the amount of work it took for probably a handful of dedicated programmers to put into that platforming dungeon

Too bad Noctis probably has some of the worst jumping controls I’ve seen in a 3D game for that kind of dungeon

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Booourns posted:

My first FFT playthrough I did a bunch of grinding and was averaging level 50 when I got to Finath River and had to just reset until there was only one red chocobo

Between this battle and running into the Monk Fiesta on Grog Hill, I've always just saved before moving even once across random battle maps as a habit.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

FF6's main character was originally named Tina.

Isn’t she still Tina in Japan?

Anyway, Clive is fine; this is a series with names as dumb as Lightning and as ordinary as Noel, so whatever. It does all feel like someone really really wanted XVI to be a stealth Tactics Ogre or Ivalice game and after XV... I’m kinda down for that.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Make the maps like Xenoblade; some effort to traverse but you got fast travel markers every so often, and you can explore off the beaten path and maybe find some cool poo poo, maybe get bulldozed by a level 120 Behemoth guarding a random bridge to somewhere you’ll never know until the end game

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Yeah my big issue is while I get brave versus HP attacks, I seem to struggle hitting enemies with HP attacks. This could just be that I'm doing story mode using Lightning to start and her HP attacks are slow as heck, so it might be character to character. I played around with Kain in a simple 1 on 1 battle and got wrecked, so I probably need to dodge / block better.

A lot of other people here already gave good info, but coming from someone who sunk 200 hours into vanilla Dissidia somehow and 50-60 in Duodecim, another thing to consider is that some HP attacks are better than others and some characters just don't have good HP attacks without resorting to assists.

Like, Squall for instance, can shred through BRV like no one's business but his HP attacks are not the greatest even when fighting AI. I remember Lightning being kinda like this too but it's been a minute. This is a stark contrast to someone like Terra who had some pretty dirty HP attacks even in the original, and actually got a new BRV -> HP route in Duodecim

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I am thinking deeply about the fact that this main character looks like Eminem, like, a lot

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Okay that entire presser was worth it so this could be created

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Only FF1 is older than me. :(

FF1 is older than me by like a little less than 2 weeks, poo poo still feels bad

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not really. Tifa and Cloud spend the night together (and they definitely bone if Cloud's affection for Tifa is high enough) but then the next morning when they're ready to head to the Northern Crater, they assume nobody else from the party was coming to fight Sephiroth with them, and this happens.

Red XIII was eavesdropping on Cloud and Tifa's conversation when they got on the Highwind, they weren't secretly watching Cloud and Tifa gently caress the night before, since the rest of the party were off finding their reasons for fighting. It was only Cloud and Tifa that had nowhere to go (hence why they stayed at the Highwind).

There’s a high affection version where Tifa says “you were watching?!” and literally falls to her knees in embarrassment

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Darkoni posted:

My favorite part of Chrono Cross is the in engine translator for party dialog. Rather than 50 different variations on a single line of dialog they would run one line through this translator and it would add in each characters unique way of speaking.

When I played CC as a kid, I remember doing the right amount of NG+s and stuff to be able to bring Harle to post-Chronopolis dungeons because I figured that she has got to have different dialogue

alas, I tasted disappointment and I think that was the last time I ever played CC

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

As absolutely hilarious, intentionally or no that scene was, I’m still cautiously optimistic. Like, the trailer went through such lengths to avoid the word chaos that at first it seemed that someone was actually trying to make us take this poo poo seriously. But then Jack “Chaos” Garland walks out of the room like he was using Limp Bizkit as his WWE entrance/exit theme, they gotta be completely in on this poo poo and how gleefully dumb it is

But then again, SE did bring us the story of 3rd Birthday which was meant to be 100% taken seriously despite all logic and reason.

What I’m saying is that if there is a chance that any team out there could end up pulling all of this off completely unintentionally, it’s within the walls of Square Enix HQ

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Lmao what if he did mean for that to go to his earbuds but they weren’t charged and it blasting from the phone speakers was an honest mistake

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

How long do you think it'll take before people start putting up edited versions of the "Bullshit" clip where the nu-metal is swapped out for something even more hilariously inappropriate?

I already heard one edit with Devil May Cry’s Vergil theme within the hour

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So take this with a grain of salt, but according to a Famitsu interview, Nomura was actually surprised that the west was able to put together that Jack = Garland back at E3 and changed their marketing strategy resulting in the reveal today?

I say take this with a grain of salt because this point was as subtle as Garland's giant hammer sword in Dissidia, how in the gently caress could they have been caught off guard by this

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The only reason I remember Yaag was because he died literally twice on screen and SE just left both versions in the game