Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i pledge to not fall a thousand pages behind this thread

also my parents got a puppy and play my distant worlds cds to help her sleep at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like the idea that it was a deliberate design decision way better :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gologle posted:

I hope Looper is never in charge of a video game that I might play.

hey you're the one playing ff2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

the objective right choice to hang out with is the crew from IX just sayin'

do you think steiner has ever taken a day off

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
play 9, 1, 2, TA, 4, CC, 10, 5, TA2, 10-2, T, 12, and Tactics Ogre, in that order

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't play MMOs so I get annoyed every time a mainline numbered entry in a series like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest ends up becoming one. Instead going with Final Fantasy XI, they should have called It Final Fantasy Online, and then gone with Final Fantasy Online 2 with XIV. I got multiple ways of playing every Final Fantasy except for XI and XIV. And since they're MMOs, there's going to be content that is lost to time because servers shut off/events end/reboots. It's even more annoying with Dragon Quest X since they never even brought it over here.

you don't have to play every numbered entry in the series, the big roman numerals don't mean anything. though i suppose there is an alternate timeline where ff13 versus is the true ff13

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think it's really cool that you can edit the sphere grid but it's really lame that the bonus bosses expect nothing but maxed numbers or a cheeseball summon from you

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
9 has a lot of good towns but i think daguerro and esto gaza are my favorite. the former for the aesthetic and being optional, the latter for the music

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

FF9 was fine for me most of the way through until disc 3 when I forgot to heed Kujas warning about bringing magic users to Oeilevert and proceeded to bring all my highest level party members which were Garnet, Eiko and Vivi. Even though I managed beat the Ark, I was left in Kujas palace with my lowest level characters and no gear so the boss destroyed me. After asking around I decided to just restart the game and learned a valuable lesson about keeping backup saves.

i almost did exactly this but decided it'd be silly to bring two white mages. so thankfully eiko was able to keep everyone in the desert palace crew alive long enough for them to do some unintentional power leveling

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ulmont posted:

I'm pondering getting one of the more recent Final Fantasy games for the PC. I've played I-IX, but nothing after that. It looks like XI and XIV are both online, so not interested; which would the general recommendation be between X, XII, XIII, and XV?

i don't know why nobody has mentioned x-2 but play x and then it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

werdnam posted:

I finally got to Zanarkand in FFX. The cutscene at the endboss in this location is very nice, but I'm annoyed that I have to watch it again because the opening Mega Death move of that boss's phase 3 is bullshit.

congratulations on your successful rite of passage as an ffx player

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yuna is better than lulu because her ultimate weapon is way easier to get. this is why she, rikku, and auron are the best characters in the game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The laughing scene to this day is perhaps the most excruciating bit in a video game to go through

In the UK Tidus is often lampooned for looking just like Meg Ryan. The game's protagonist was never, ever taken seriously here

you fool what have you done

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm not sure why both FF6 and 7 introduce you to that mechanic in the tutorial boss when it's used maybe... once in FF6 and never again in 7?

it's a tutorial on how the atb system works in practice

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
some of the examples of development bloat are incredible. long live the dark drakers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Randallteal posted:

The perception of FFVIII's reception has also changed over the years. When it came out the reviews were almost as good as VII's. Its reputation as the bad PSX FF developed over time. At the time I remember thinking IX was the odd one out from that generation.

nobody played 9 because the ps2 was right around the corner

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

- Kuja doesn't wear pants.

what the

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Steiner's an oblivious moron who's also much more competent than you'd first think. Guy managed to beat Beatrix (likely due to his Trance triggering but still) which is how he got his position in the first place, and it's great when he has the occasional moment to actually be serious, which mostly works due to how much of a caricature he is the rest of the time. Plus he learns during the game to exercise his own judgment instead of blindly following orders and eventually stands out as a brave and loyal knight who will defend his kingdom to the ends of the earth rather than the bumbling oaf who can't even lead eight soldiers properly.

I mean, Vivi and Quina do get married...

is it ever stated in the game that steiner's the reason beatrix wears an eyepatch or is that from an ultimania?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the greatest ultimania of all, my fanfiction

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Multiple people will buy every Collector’s Edition for every episode.

Imagine spending $1000 on Final Fantasy VII.

hey only uh *checks notes* $980 to go!

I'm ready to never not be playing as barret or tifa

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

that's some mealy mouth cowardly bullshit right there

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You go on a date with Aeris and have a wacky improve session at a stage show for children abuot an hour before you're in a ditch beating her trying to get the magical nuke to the alien in your brain.

i just got to that scene and it looked to me more like cloud was punching himself in the head. either that or he's just beating aerith's ankles. though i suppose "what the heck is happening at the temple of the ancients" has been a subject of debate for years

also the date is with tifa tyvm

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

it's been known for a while that he was beating aeris to death, which is why barret knocks his rear end out

oh, that makes her leaving the party afterward a lot darker

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hojo is the worst dad in the series and it's not even close

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like how the team is all bummed out rufus's "blow meteor up with a materia-laden rocket" plan didn't work out, after they've spent the last few hours sabotaging it at every turn

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I the only mod I need for FFVIIR is Barret No Sunglasses Mod.

what the gently caress

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I remembered what annoyed me about FFTA2. Even in the early game there are enemies that can charm or confuse your nerds and make them accidentally break laws. It's only happened twice so far but ugh.

Still an awesome game though. I forgot how polished it is.

fortunately breaking the law isn't nearly as big of a deal in ffta2, and you probably don't have any of the good judge benefits yet anyway

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

For Enemy Skill materia, do the skills remain attached to the Materia itself, and I can hand off to another character? I assume there's no funky business like unequipping the materia will cause you to lose the skills and have to relearn them?

something worth keeping in mind imo is that when you get multiple copies of enemy skill materia, you can stack them all on one character and still get the skill on every materia. makes getting LVL* skills less of a hassle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tifa has the best limit break because she suplexes giant monsters and superslams and uppercuts so hard a dolphin erupts from the earth

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gologle posted:

Hey play Final Fantasy XIV you fuckers!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNgziN2gCk

never

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

zedprime posted:

My final fantasy is figuring out what the gently caress is an apple pencil

a $100 stylus for your ipad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
aw dang it we're less than halfway there!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't have time, money, or the lack of social anxiety needed for an mmo!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Question: Who would win in a fight between the weapons from ff7 vs Sin?

Answer: We all would :allears:

the weapons look way cooler so I'm gonna give it to them

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

do people have a lot of nostalgia for X? I thought the nostalgia was mostly reserved for everything IX and before.

X is real good though, as long as you don't try and kill yourself doing all the Final Mix content. the story and battle system are pretty good (though X-2 and IX are probably still my favourites), if a little repetitive, but I think it holds up well.

x was the formative rpg for a lot of people my age and slightly younger, the same way vii, vi, iv, and i were for y'all olds

my first and most nostalgic ff was ix and i played it years after release lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Star Man posted:

The Fort Condor prizes sure do suck. Most of them are just potions.

i played one round and then promptly ignored it until the end of the game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I,ve done it, after all these years I have the 30 Glass Pumpkins.

now grind deneb's unique class up to a usable level, and grind her skill points up to snuff, and grind her skills up to acceptable levels, and give her enough tarot cards so that she'll be as well off as the rest of your team

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
enemy skills own and its easily the most useful materia you can get before breeding a gold chocobo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It's almost like you shouldn't buy games unless you plan on playing them in the immediate future.

b-but the deals... the conversation...!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

gigglefeimer posted:

There needs to be some distinction here between X-2's story percentage 100%, which is just playing the game's side content, and 100% meaning obtaining all items, abilities, etc., which is stil pretty breezy all things considered.

thinking about the gamefaqs final fantasy guides for a perfect game, which involves getting 99 copies of every item