Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just curious on FFXIII one complaint is that you don't get a full party for most of the game.
Is there like a mod that just adds in a third member for those parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Playing through XII and while I like the job system I still feel like there needs to be a bigger revamp of the licence board.

Like unlocking equipment with it seems dumb when you're already locked in equipment depending on where you are in the game.

Also the loot menu when selling is slow and dumb.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Man crystal chronicles is not sounding great. Since multiplayer is only relegated to dungeons it means you have to manage the town families yourself so you'd need to do multiple runs to keep different shops up to date.

Top that off with the fact that only the host gets the drop items you'll be running though the dungeons a lot more then before.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It just sounds more suited for single player and pairing up with online randos then playing with friends now.

I'm gonna try the trial but probably gonna break out the old GBAs and play the original version.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Only for stat boosts really.

It's just really weird how they decided to go about this.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I like Kefka but I don't think he's some sorta amazingly written villain. He's just good as a chaotic force then anything else.

Sorta the same for Sephiroth cept he was more like an all powerful figure.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

On a side note the older MC in XVI needs to be older. Like dad older, make more old MCs you cowards.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bregor posted:

I think FF6:Brave New World had some cringe-worthy cursing added to the script, at least the version I played a few years ago.

Yeah it was that but it later offered a alternate patch that removes that stuff because it was awful.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Trailer combat looks good but I do kinda want it to stand out from DMC on its own a bit like FFVIIR did.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can somebody remind me what the issues were with Final Fantasy III DS versus the Nes version?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I've no idea why the menu prompts and font is so smooth while everything else is pixelated. Even the fast forward icon is pixelated.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is it possible to port job commands from ff3 to ff1?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Poshul should be the only other party member

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How can you forget the greatest character arc of:
Zell wants hot dogs

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

For chrono cross I would have liked if it was like FFIV where characters swap in and out depending on the scenario and have more lines directly related to their segments.

Still cut out a bunch of them though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe they just plugged in random weights without checking because they didn't think people cared to double check it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Electromax posted:

Making this one made me appreciate FF7's monsters a lot more. The punk penguins, the vega dude swinging on a scythe, a goat in a Bowie vest, a giant revolver, an egg. The vector shading gives them a pretty distinct look. Hojo 2's face is disturbing.

I've never realised how few reskined monsters are in VIII

Also one of the monsters in VII is just called Christopher

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Galuf
Galufa
Galufaga

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

By the way has anyone played the Voice of Cards demo and how is it? I downloaded it but I'm trying to squeeze as much playtime out of the free trial of Story of Seasons before it ends in a few days, so I won't be touching it for a while.

It's presentation is neat but it's kinda bland. You play the demo with a party of kind of stereotypical rpg characters (not the crew they showed in the trailer) and go on a really simple quest.

The combats very plain and because of how you generate energy for spells most encounters you could just cast the most powerful skill you have and wipe the enemies in one round. It's all card but there doesn't seem to be any deck or hands like other card games. It's mostly just for show.

The narrator for the game was pretty cool and all the art is great.

Kinda have to wait on reviews though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I have managed to mess up setup for ff9 alternate fantasy and only noticed until Terra. So all abilities were alternate fantasy but pretty sure bosses and such were vanilla.

I'm at memoria now and what is with this Hades boss, he just starts the fight by floating back and becoming untargetable before dropping everyone's health to critical with curse.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dear God I loving hate Necron in alternate fantasy.

Grand Cross would be okay if you had a way to remove all status effects (esuna and remedies don't do all) on at least one character but you can't so if you get hit with two debilitating effects you have to waste two turns clearing them.

By that point necron will throw out another grand cross and either somebody gets hit with death or critical hp.

Oh and they cast regen and curaga now so they can easily undo any damage you made.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

In a mod that is generally much, much easier than Unleashed, Necron is about equal to Unleashed Necron in how ridiculously hard he is.

I never beat him so all I can do is wish you luck. Try to have Eiko to Dispel that Regen immediately is all I can remember.

I did it in an incredibly stupid and just lucky manner with lv 80 characters after like 10+ attempts.

So all of necron's attacks are elemental and he really isn't a threat damage wise, blue shockwave and his dummies doing -aga spells are what usually murder someone.
Ribbons and protect rings can cover the agas and holy spells. Neutron Ring is earth so I threw on any armour that would guard against that if they didn't have a protect ring.

To handle blue shockwave instead of trying to have Eiko heal through it auto-regen and auto-potion handled that. Regen ticks though animations so since auto-potions take up time they usually healed enough to cover the follow up spell.

Vivi was the main damage dealer with return magic and magic element null. Necron will start adding absorbing elements part way through the fight so you need the null element ability. Vivi basically will use focus for like a few turns and then start throwing flares as much as possible.

Zidane I had just attacking constantly since he did around 7000 a hit. Quina I was going to have do support like remedies and stat cures but I ended up just having them throw Lv5 Flare constantly (Necron's Lv75)

At that point it's just luck and a lot of time, if grand cross decides to throw too many status effects on a character you're probably going to spend too much time covering those to keep up with Necron's healing.

The winning fight was boring and the worst grand cross did was insta death and doom, you have no idea on if you're making progress or not and with grand cross it could be reset at any moment.

I looked up his stats afterwards and turns out he has 40000 hp which is less then vanila with 54100 hp. It's the healing that makes it a pain.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

dracula vladdy AF posted:

It may wind up being much higher than that. Because monster HP in FF9 cannot go beyond 65535 by default, modding in higher totals involves adding a counter in the monster's script that silently changes the enemy's HP once it drops below a certain threshold. So for example when Necron gets knocked down below 20000 HP an invisible counter might fire off to bring him back to 40000 HP and this may be possible several times per fight. Zeromus in FF4 is meant to work the same way in most 2D versions, that's why he has effectively 100000ish HP. IIRC it's also possible in some versions to kill Zeromus before the refresh happens if timed correctly.

I was using the Hades Workshop tool to check that but it makes more sense the way you put it. I should check how the scripts work for him.

Just on Alternate Fantasy: I thought that the changes to steal so it's guaranteed you'd get all items within 5-10 steal attempts would feel better but honestly its better off being a 100% chance when there's multiple items on an enemy anyway.

Also Virus is dumb and shouldn't exist.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So grinding was actually quick in AF. The hawaii set gives you a 400% exp increase when you're over lv50 so each battle in memoria gave everybody like 1-2 levels.

That paired with speed boosts made things fairly quick.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

jokes posted:

-ga spells, you mean. We went over this!

Sorry could you run through it again.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lady Gaga, Lady Gagara, Lady Gagaga, Zettta Gaga

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm gaga for aga spells

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Important ga chat aside.

I kinda want more Final Fantasy and I was thinking of playing VIII with mods. Are there any gameplay ones folks have tried that they recommend?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVIII Crystal is the best mod I've played and completed for the game. Description of major changes are all in the OP but to sum it up, everyone has a Class now and are only supposed to use a single GF who gives them that Class's abilities. Quistis for example has Shiva and Shiva has Aura as an ability. GFs learn abilities via leveling up (or items) and there are no stat junctions, only elemental and status defense/attack junctions.

Here's a quick video I made as a sample back when I played v1.1. It's on 1.5 now so not sure how much has changed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M348_Z2xLy8

grieving for Gandalf posted:

look here for the main message board for gameplay mods

your main choices are Crystal and Ragnarok. NikkolasKing will come to proselytize for Crystal soon, so I don't have to describe it. Ragnarok is more of a straight difficulty and mechanics rebalance. click through and check the changelogs and see what appeals to you

on that site, you can also find the subforum for modding the graphics. it takes some doing but you can make it look prettier and it should all be compatible with the gameplay mods with no trouble iirc

Cheers folks, i'm gonna try Crystal though the demaster mod for unpacking the remaster seems to be broken after the latest patch. I can either wait or try and get the older steam version working with it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay I got the mod working for viii crystal.

I've never read through all the study desk stuff but I never knew the garden precepts were:
- Work hard
- Study hard
- Play hard :biglips:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So did Galbadia just invade Dollet just to repair the satellite dish?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I just never thought about the fact they used military force for that.

I'm at Elvoret in Crystal and first run of him is a bust. Seems like I can hit him with silence and blind but his physicals are pretty strong and blind doesn't seem to reduce accuracy that much.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Was the sorceress in control of the president before they ordered the attack on Dollet?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay it's kinda funny that twice now Cid was about to tell students that they're all here to fight sorceresses (specifically his wife) and his aides just stop him with:

"SIR YOU HAVE AN MEETING SOON! SHUT UP ABOUT FUTURE STUFF."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Does anybody have some general combat tips for stranger of paradise.

I've played Nioh but this games combat just isn't clicking and I'm chugging potions like crazy. The Chaos fight was fine but every other fight is big group fights that are a mess for me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cheers! I'll try and use lightbringer and abilities more. I was mostly forgetting about them in fights.

FFVIII: The forest owls plan hinges heavily on nobody looking out the window to see two new cars coupling with their own.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

God I love the forest owls huddling in a corner planning.

Also Cid: "We're loaning you SeeDs until Timber achieves independance."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The game makes it pretty clear that the Forest Owls are really bad at this and the plan only works because it was a trap in the first place.

Like their theme song is a big give away that this is a comedy segment.

It's really good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wasn't the whole "Let Ultimecia Kompress time" plan Laguna's idea? Complete with "you can survive kompression as long as you all love and cherish your friendships!"

Cause it being a really stupid plan that just sorta hopes it'll work out is a very Laguna thing.

Fuschia tude posted:

Tetra Master isn't bad.

Please leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

She wasn't exactly expecting to traverse the sewers it just happened. I think she expected to just pop over and back to apologise.

Didn't have to bring Zell and Selphie though.