Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Every Final Fantasy game I have played I have found something enjoyable so they might not be individually amazing games but each has good stuff and merits. Thank you for enjoying my tepid take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The only correct tier list:

S: All of them
A: All of them
B: All of them
C: All of them
D: All of them
F: All of them

Now do them by match-ups. After ten matches how many times does 2 beat Crisis Core?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Think this crap is already in place for VIII on Steam? I moved at the end of January and had a period with no internet access so had a few contingency games installed including VIII. Just would not let me launch the game offline.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah probably 4 or 6 for retro, and maybe 10 for something a bit more recent? It's pretty easy going

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Hope comes out of the game as my joint favourite character next to Sazh. His arc payoff in Palumpolum felt really satisfying to watch, when he finally gets the nerve to confront Snow, and also Hope's relationship with his dad.

I just hate the battle system and the story is told in a really crappy way.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

So, GBA Versions of I & II, IV and V are all solid right? I have I & II on GBA somewhere and a work friend has IV and V on GBA that they will lend me.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

There's some jank with the models too. Sephiroth specifically is always trying to catch flies with his open mouth:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Missing Score would have been more appropriate dropping in the Corel Desert Prison. Perfect empty chest for it down that shaft, or even in the burnt out house where Barret rejoins the group. Or even where Dyne fell! POSSIBILITIES!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I was a bit weirded out by Heidegger's new look but after revisiting the trailer I'm fine with it. In the original game his model was relatively similar to Palmer, except nobody was calling Heidegger a fatty to his face. I just assumed he was kinda stocky rather than fat.

Tifa looks great. Biggs and Jessie look great. Everyone looks great. I can't wait to see Red XIII and eventually the rest of the gang.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Big numbers is cool, I like the big number in MvC over the piddly ones in SF. TvC was a bit much though.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Ultimecia's Castle is still my favourite FF endgame dungeon because it's a huge resident evil style mansion filled with puzzles and collect stuff and lots of bosses. It owns bones and I'll make a save just as I start it so I can enjoy it over and over again.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Caved and bought the VIII remaster last night. Now that I have a vague idea of what I'm doing with regards to levelling up my GFs compared to DBD the dumbass kid it's a lot more interesting. I was one of those who used GFs every single battle and learned/used boost.

Also just wandering around Garden, I had never seen the scene in the cafeteria with the disciplinary committee and Zell, or Selphie chasing me around the quad trying to convince me to join the school band.

The new models are great but they really don't mesh too well with the old backgrounds. I laughed at the home room cutscene where, because the new models "pop" it's very easy to tell that several students are actually just part of the background, stock-still.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I wonder if the sheer amount of missable sidestory stuff in VIII partially inspired IX's active time event system? Hm.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I beat the Spider tank in Dollet last night, for the first time ever. Child/teenager me was cheering like crazy. Turns out if you play a bunch of cards and refine them into Thundaga and give it to Selfie with double, she tears through it pretty quickly. I assumed that it got up right at the end when you get back to the beachhead to get Quistis' minigun cutscene but ah, nope. Oh well, scratch that off the bucket list.

Unfortunately now the Diff rule has spread through Balamb and the Garden, and Open has gone too, meaning cards is a complete
crapshoot and I have a very high chance of losing some of my better cards like Ifrit and FUKKEN QUISTIS! Because I have no idea what's coming up.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

Tifa still has a sizeable rack, what the gently caress are nerds going on about?

Never seen a woman in a sports bra in their Japanese animes.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Turks continue to own bones as it is, was, and ever shall be. Every trailer gets me more and more pumped for this. Guess the better half and myself will be booking time off in March!

E: god the Turks theme, mmmmm. That's the good stuff right there.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

No lie I would 3D Print a bunch of PSOne dioramas like FF7, Tekken 3, Oddworld (lol). Those are adorable.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

The Lunar Cry is actually the monsters of the moon deciding to come to the planet to escape and yet inadvertently spread the Random rule.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

There's the Encounter-None ability from Diablos, and boss fights don't give any XP, but yeah no clear-cut "EXP-None" ability is... Odd.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I think including Rinoa there's... 5-6 of them? There's also different resistance factions in Timber so it's hard to pinpoint just how many factions and resistance fighters there are.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Onmi posted:

Does Timber have independence at the end of the game? Because I'm pretty sure it still doesn't.

I don't think it's ever brought up? Who's in charge of Galbadia by the end of the game? Deling's dead and Edea's buggered off to Centra, so... General Caraway? I guess he could end the occupation of Timber but gently caress going into geopolitical details we've gotta ship Rinoa and Squall for all of Disc 3!!!

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 16, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Finished up Fisherman's Horizon last night and finally have control of Garden. Time to globe trot and play cards and poo poo before going back to the story.

I'm surprised at how much I'm actually liking Squall. Younger me found him an annoying pain in the arse but his writing and personality are solid and his near constant inner monologue works to both help explain his thought process (obviously) but also serves as a nice foil for what he actually says. This came out really well in the concert scene with Rinoa. Dare I say I... Like him?

Everyone else can gently caress off though. Except Selphie and Quistis. Zell is... Okay. I think it's a reflection on how much effort and emphasis went in to rounding out Squall and Rinoa at the expense of the rest of the cast outside of minor moments. Just a shame I find Rinoa to be an insufferable moron.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 19, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

King of Jump Rope is the only time I've ever broken something in frustration. Teenage me smashed a mirror in utter rage at that mini game. I'm not proud of it so I absolutely get the people who go "that mini game is evil".

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Wrapping up FFVIII remastered in the next day or so. It's been fun to revisit after so long. Couple of trip report thoughts:

*I never would have made it through this game without the X3 speed toggle. Holy poo poo everything is so slow. Menus. Combat. The world map. Even dialogue. And what's up with certain Triple Triad players taking an eternity to play a card? Especially you, Martine.

*Junctioning 100 drain to status attack is fun but even more fun with the Darkside command and I wish I had figured that out sooner than disc 3.

* My partner is sick of the Triple Triad theme. Triple Triad is still great but I'm so glad there are nerds out there with uploaded videos to show how to manipulate the RNG to ditch Random, saved me a lot of back and forth in Trabia, Centra and spaaaaaace. Speaking of which...

*PRETTY SURE YOU'RE USING YOUR BULLSHIT POWERS TO CHEAT AT TRIPLE TRIAD ELLONE! Took me a solid hour to get Laguna's card. I got random abolished from space but I had a screaming headache most of the day so had trouble spying her setups and understanding Same/Plus/Same Wall rules.

*How Degenerator made it to live in its borderline seizure-enducing state is beyond me. I forgot how much of a visual assault this game can be.

*The only useful GF to ever summon is Cerberus don't @ me he's the best boy. I ended up going for a level 100 team anyway because of Odin. He killed so many enemies and levelled me up that by the time I got Ragnarok, Squall/Quistis/Selphie were about lv70 anyway.

*The mechanics of the game absolutely scratch the same itch I get for playing MMOs. Although horribly explained junctioning is interesting and deep, and refining is absurdly sprawling. I love them.

Very enjoyable trip down memory lane. I still prefer VII's story and think the cast there are better developed overall (although individually Squall is way up there despite his infatuation for Rinoa seemingly coming out of left field. Teenagers eh?) But it's definitely a lot better than I remember it being.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

The bit that sticks out to me is right at the end of Disc 2 after saving Rinoa where Squall's internal monologue reflects on everyone trying to push the two of them together, and he still seems kind of lukewarm towards her.

Then Disc 3 has Squall going off the walls in a short space of time because of Rinoa's predicament. THEN he goes back to acting lukewarm on the Ragnarok until he goes to rescue her again at the memorial.

Like, I get it, Squall has a very difficult time expressing his emotions outside of his inner monologue and deliberately puts up a cold front to shut people out and protect himself. I think it's done really well, he just seems to go from 0-100 regarding his feelings for Rinoa and I just feel like there's only so much his characterisation can cover up where I feel the writing missed the mark. To me it feels less organic than say, Zidane and Garnet. I still dig it, though.

E: yeah I got the jig music conversation (always have, somehow) and for the record I got to play matchmaker with Zell and library girl. That was super adorable :3:

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 23, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

There isn't any indication she requested that room be made up for her as far as I can remember.

The idea Rinoa is just a spoiled brat playing at revolution is a meme started by haters. She was as committed to helping liberate Timber as any of the Forest Owls. They're all just incompetent because everyone is incompetent in FFVIII.

Yeah the Forest Owls are just kind of... Unprofessional. It's the scrappy resistance fighters getting called out on this by the professional soldiers of fortune who have been attending military school for the past decade, who just so happen to be the lens through which we see the plot. Amateurish at best but probably more aware of the stakes than the SeeDs are.

Which reminds me - is the implication that Zone gets stomach aches because he has feelings for Rinoa? He doesn't have any on the SeeD ship when she's absent, but he does on the train, and she's the common denominator?

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 23, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it is just a gag about women in general? He gets one when Quistis is like "no, I can't possibly" and he insists on giving her his train ticket.

But that's an interesting thought I had never considered before.

He also gets incredibly aggressive towards Squall when he is informed of what happened to Rinoa at Galbadia Garden, much more so than Watts who is quite level-headed about the whole thing and calms Zone down.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Eschenique posted:

She killed the spider! Which is more than anyone ever did.

I don't remember how far I got into the original game at the time. Somewhere after the spaceship and recruiting Edea and then there was some futuristic space city. I think I quit the game a while after defeating ultima weapon. Because I spent that entire dungeon just keeping Squall at low health and spamming Lionheart and I thought that was kind of bullshit. Especially combined with all regular attacks doing 9999 damage anyway which made an overwhelming majority of GFs useless. The game also banned me from using magics because all the good ones were already busy being junctioned to give me elemental immunity, max health and massive health drain on attacks etc.

Excuse you, as I remember it the robot spider died when Selphie blasted it with about ten Thundaga spells and I will not hear any different :colbert:

Sounds like you got very near the end, which is where I'm at. The game does kind of push you towards junctioning the best spells to turn you into a walking god, but that's still kind of your choice to do so. In my opinion some spells like Aura are just too good to junction despite the benefits, and sometimes the game gives you a workaround like Cerberus or auto-haste so you can junction Triple and Haste without worrying about using junctioned spells.

You could always junction a weaker spell and use Devour or refine stat items to bring your base stats up so you can use the end game magic. You could keep a low level party as long as possible and take advantage of the equippable stat level up passive abilities. Hell you could refine endless copies of cards on disc 4 to make holy wars and be invincible every battle if you wanted - no need for defensive junctions when literally nothing can touch you right?

TL;DR - junctioning is one way to break the game and has the least time investment but you do have other options if you're willing to invest time into them.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I just junction pain/sleep/confuse/berserk to status defense and cast triple esuna on turn one I don't see what the problem is :smuggo:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

seiferguy posted:

For magic junctions, this more or less the best path, right:

HP: Full Life
Str: Ultima (or swap to Meteor if you favor magic)
Vit: Meltdown
Mag: Triple
Spr: Reflect
Spd: Haste
Eva: Tornado
Hit: Double
Luck: Aura

I know Pain is great for status junctions too.

Pretty much, yeah. If you'd rather save your Aura to use in fights, Death is 0.38 Luck stat points per stock compared to Aura or Pain's 0.40. Same vein if you'd rather not spend an ability slot on Auto-Haste and don't want to junction Haste to speed, Stop is 0.48 stat points per stock compared to Haste's 0.50.

Lots of people fall into the trap of junctioning Ultima to elemental defense but you can pretty much hit perfect defenses with Reflect on Spr, and then junction Life/Full-Life/Shell to Elem-Def.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

lol the final dungeon and boss are the best in the game, and the final dungeon is probably the best end area in the series

Ive said it before but that mixture of Final Fantasy dungeon with Resident Evil puzzles and backtracking just hits the spot for me. Plus you can fight as many or as few bosses as you want. PLUS you can draw missed GFs from them! So good. I feel like Memoria is narratively more interesting but as a dungeon it's a straight line.

I can understand why Ultimecia might sour folks due to bullshit of deleting magic stocks and randomly picking who's in your party. At least they put a save point right outside.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Veering back to VIII real-quick; I'm having trouble completing the chocobo forest side-quest for the chicobo card. I've caught chocobos all by myself in each of the six(?) forests, then gone to the chocobo sanctuary, and even though chocoboy says that the mother chocobos are getting ready to do a dance... Nothing happens. There's just the one chocobo in the middle for me to ride out. My only thought is - do I need to find the treasure stones in each forest as well? Or did I gently caress the whole thing by asking the boy to catch the chocobos for me in each forest, then going back and catching them myself? I'm so confused...

picture tax for saying chocobo a bazillion times:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

TBF I'm in my thirties and I'm still convinced the Black Omen is some huge dark obelisk instead of an imperial star destroyer.

seiferguy posted:

I'd agree that giving fresh passes at 7 and 8 have shown that the stories aged better than I thought. Squall is dealing with separation anxiety with being an orphan and having the one person, Ellone, close to him abandoning him (though not of her own fault) as a kid, so he puts up a mental wall to not let people in as a result.

I think Squall being Laguna's son and no one ever really figuring it out beside Ward, who cant speak, is one of the more hilarious and cruel things about the game.

Agreed, I've nearly wrapped up VIII after not touching it since the original PSX days, and it's a lot more enjoyable as a character-driven story than I remember. The plot as a whole is absurd and nonsensical but the moment-to-moment is really great. It's a shame that so much of it is tucked away in places that the game doesn't push you towards, and it feels really easy to just let yourself be carried from location to location and miss stuff. I didn't even know that you could do stuff in Fisherman's Horizon as Irvine. And the Shumi Village stuff is great, too.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

If you go into the Ruby Weapon fight with two party members dead but have Sneak Attack - Phoenix combo in a weapon, which happens first - Ruby burrows his tentacles, or the Phoenix cast goes off?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I wanna know how FFXV takes place in the same universe as Tekken, Street Fighter, Fatal Fury and The Walking Dead.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

As do Ezio and Geralt so toss Witcher and Assassin's Creed into the mix. I forgot about Spawn being in Soul Calibur and he's also in MK11 along with Terminator, Joker...

I need a board, some strings and pushpins.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

What's the general level of tech like in the world of FFXIV? I don't play myself but I was just curious - a WoW guildie of mine peaced out after seeing someone in he Noctis car because it broke his immersion of the setting (lol as if WoW is perfect in this regard) but it got me curious as to what vehicles and mechanical stuff exists in FFXIVs world?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

a girl power romp was an inspired choice for a sequel so i wish ffx2 was more fun to play than it actually is

Do this but with Selphie Quistis and Rinoa Laguna.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

As a Brit it is nice to see a bit more range in accents in games rather than cockney, Scottish, and posh twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe it's because the Pokémon anime was our around the same time but to me Cait Sith has a New Jersey accent.

Only it's James Gandolfini not Meowth.