Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rirse posted:

There we go, I got the sequels section done.

good luck with the spin-offs section. also holy poo poo there are so many games in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Every time I think about playing FFXIII I look at all the ridiculous words in the basic setup and my eyes glaze over.

you mean... the three of them? I sure hope you managed to get Avalanche through the Mako reactor made by the Shinra corporation, or the SeeDs in Balamb Garden

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there any real point to collecting a ton of cards in FF8? I saw a guide about playing a shitload of people in Balamb Garden to get rare cards but are they actually useful in the game or is it just an OCD collector thing?

you can mod them for rare items which can get you high level spells earlier than you might otherwise be able to. if you don't like the card game or don't want to grind cards forever, there's little point though because the game's not hard enough to require it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

:hai:

I'm probably going to skip the FF8 card game stuff. I don't find it fun and I don't want to grind any more than I have to after turning all those fish into cards for AP.

please don't grind in FFVIII for any reason (cards, AP, exp). there's virtually no benefit to carding enemies and as long as you're setting GF abilities yourself and not letting the game pick your abilities (because it prioritises stupid things like SumMag+10%), you're going to get all the useful GF abilities just fine.

if you just play TT after getting some of the rare cards, as a diversion every now and then, it's a fun mini-game, probably one of the best in the series. especially if you have Same/Plus without all the bad rules like random/direct/etc.

Rirse posted:

Think it just more rewards. I forget if they join you on the airship in disc 4 if you don't do the quest.

they do not (at least that's how I remember it). so if you want the ability to play them for rare cards, you need to do their quest before then.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
someday I'm going to boot that game up again. but it bugged out when I left Costlemark and I couldn't use any items anywhere. I wonder if they ever fixed that.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's the funniest line in the game so far.

I'm currently breaking out of the prison. One thing I really hate about the PS1 era games is the way the dpad buttons just make you go in whatever direction the game feels like instead of, you know, the actual direction you're pressing.

that has killed me in the prison more than once.

Rirse posted:

Still love this line that appears after the very first Laguna segment.

the Laguna sections are the best just for the number of times everyone else dunks on him

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zenguitarman posted:

Oh man, I don't even remember, FF8 didn't even have analog controls yet?

you could use the analog sticks, but I'm pretty sure the whole problem with switching screens and directions not taking you the same way is still an issue, like it is in games like Silent Hill with tank controls

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

This prison is confusing trash. I went all the way downstairs with Zell checking the doors to see if any would open and none of them did. I looked up a guide and apparently there's a ton of stuff I can get but all the floors look the same and none of the doors open. WTF am I doing wrong?

if you're at the point where you're just Zell and the guards are chasing you, I don't think you can get into the cells anymore. you can enter them right after you get the weapons back and you're just running up to bust Squall out.

honestly the prison is about the only part of VIII I don't like that much and I always just breeze through it whenever I play.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't know if the strategy guide says so, but Zell makes some parts of the game harder on you by being in your party.

because he's a chicken wuss

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

But her limits suck so I never used her :(

Another thing FF8 got wrong, making the limit breaks wildly different in power for each character

Selphie's limit is great, but even so worrying about which limit is better leads to the kind of arguments like Zell's being the "best" because you can sit there switching between Booya and Punch Rush or whatever it was

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the objective right choice to hang out with is the crew from IX just sayin'

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DevCore posted:

Wait you could pick a different path?
Was that in the vanilla XV version?

no, they added that later

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Looper posted:

do you think steiner has ever taken a day off

Steiner had a very extended vacation to such locales as the Desert Prison and a parallel world. he even went on a cruise

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

If you've had a friend who's never played a final fantasy game, which one would you have them play? Gut instinct for me is 9, basically something that isn't too complicated and also wouldn't make you miserable?

it depends on what they like. if they've never played a turn-based RPG before, then XV might be a better option. my favourite is IX, but really it comes down to personal taste.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zedprime posted:

Yeah it'd be neat to hear the story. I've mentioned before, refine seems like a late addition that never got a balance pass. Without refine, the level and magic system has a semblance of balance with how the best magic is only available from higher level monsters so leveling actually would have had a point.

it would have been fine if they had, say, not given you 20 curagas from one tent, which you can buy at any store for practically nothing, and the GF that gives you the ability you need is like the first one you're going to pick up after the tutorial.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

You get so many fishing mini games in games and I think the only ones I liked at all were the zelda ones

XV's is awesome. the feeling I got from catching some of those large fish was better than some bosses.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I remember one interview circa ‘09-ish where they had one designer working on a single rock for three days, without a hint of self awareness over how insane that is.

wasn't that for XIV and not XIII?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What are square's genre defining games? How long did that period last?

FF6 and 7 were three years apart, but after that they got 8, 9, and 10 out all within like a four year period, with Kingdom Hearts coming out a year later. In between 6 and 7, they were also making Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.

The 90s were a busy time for them

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, the rock was XIII.

yeah, sorry, Mega reminded me I was thinking of the barrel in XIV that had as many polygons as a player character

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Why did Spirits Within bomb so hard it left a crater in Squaresoft HQ, anyway?

the 90s didn't have enough mainstream anime support. even Roger Ebert liked Spirits Within

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
XIII is polarising for a number of reasons, but the fact that they let you just retry a battle right away if you lost was absolutely brilliant

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

How do you propose to implement consequences to failure? (Actual question, not rhetorical).

Re:2 It was the only one 1-9 that I just put down and never returned to. I don't think I beat the final boss of three, but I made it to the room. Two just isn't very interesting, the NES wasn't up to telling the story, the dungeons were boring as hell, especially since 2/3rds of all doors just plopped you in the middle of an empty room, and iirc the encounter rate was jacked.

your consequence is having to do the fight again/not getting to progress. not every game has to be Dark Souls

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
in Disgaea 5 you lose nothing at all for failing a fight and that game has plenty of times you're going to get your poo poo stomped on until you figure out a better strategy or build a new class or something

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Lmao I haven't seen a shroud in 20 hours because this is the stingiest loving game when it comes to consumables. Just for shits I decided to burn a summon the last time and killed the two robot buddies but did gently caress all damage to the big boy, and then when my summon went away he summoned like 5 more robot buddies who proceeded to piss in my cornflakes. Fight sucks.

doesn't the game start giving you more shrouds when you start doing poorly? I do remember getting brick walled at that boss though, but I think I found out one time you can run by them if you line it up right

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I decided to go back and do some more hunts and come back to the hardest fight in the entire game later. It was a slog getting back out to the archlyte steppe, but I did a few more of the hunts and unlocked the most bizarrely limited fast travel system I have ever seen in a game. I guess the completely serviceable one from 12 where you could just teleport via certain save points was a little too user friendly so they had to take it down a notch. Another thing that is brought into focus by the giant open areas is how terrible the map system is. Rotates rather than fixed point, which isn't a big deal when running through the game's story corridors, but is problematic when trying to navigate Gran Pulse. Also, why the gently caress do you just get a small glimpse of the world in the map screen, and why are you unable to see adjacent areas? It would be really helpful since the hunts are all listed by area. What a cluster gently caress of bad game design.

On the positive side, I've been spending more time trying out different paradigm combos and different combat strategies, and killed my first King Behemoth. The game still feels wildly unbalanced as some enemies will be a cakewalk in a given area while others remain quite difficult no matter how much grinding I do (no I'm not talking about the big super enemies you're not supposed to fight yet shut up). But at least I feel like I'm sort of making progress?

Oh I did one hunt that created a big shiny orb that I couldn't interact with in any way, what's up with that?

also I know this is like the least relevant part of your post, and I only bring it up because I spelled and pronounced it wrong for years before I noticed, but it's not Archlyte Steppe, it's Archylte Steppe.

a similar thing happened with cactaur and cactuar

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I watched this earlier but my sound must have been off so I just rewatched it and lmao

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

is this some thread in-joke meme I've missed

Tetsuya Nomura did not write Final Fantasy VII

he was the director/concept person for a lot of the EU stuff

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No he wasn't.

The director of DoC was Takayoshi Nakazato and the writer was Hiroki Chiba
The director of Crisis Core was Hajime Tabata and the writer was Kazushige Nojima
The director of Before Crisis was Hajime Tabata AGAIN and the writer was Sachie Hirano with Nojima credited on scenario design.
He was the director of Advent Children but not the concept (he was asked to direct it) and he co-directed with Takeshi Nozue

That isn't his Resume.

The guy whose resume it mostly is directed FFXV.

isn't Advent Children mostly what people complain about anyway? and Wiki says he was concept on BC but I dunno. doesn't really matter to me--I just did like 30 seconds of internet research.

either way, I have nothing against Nomura like some people here seem to. I hope Square pays him to do his thing forever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

AFStealth posted:

Well this is embarrassing but I used to run a huge FFX2 fansite back when it came out, but I never actually played it. I'm finally getting around to it. Any good beginner need to know things? Doing the HD remaster.

just have fun. don't try to get 100%. there are few wrong ways to play

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
do none of you remember the CGI cutscene of Cloud making a memorial for Cait Sith at the Temple of the Ancients, shedding a single tear as he walks away?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I never realized this either for a long time. I blame the graphics and the less-than-ideal camera angle.

After giving the Black Materia to Sephiroth he starts hitting Aerith which is why he has to be knocked out by...Vincent I think? Somebody.

I think it's Tifa. they wouldn't make it an optional character you never have to find. at least not by default

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
she's barely any more exposed than Kuja is

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Cool, and?

just seems like a weird complaint in a series that has shown pretty much zero restraint for any gender in terms of clothing design, from the skimpy to the absolute stupid like Tidus' uneven shorts and whatever is going on with Nooj

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

You get the impression that this is not the first time she's done this.

another cut scene was a Zach flashback to a very similar contrived scenario to get him in a dress

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shammypants posted:

I am playing FFX on the Nintendo Switch, my first FF game since 1 or 2 came out in stores. I am enjoying it and will try FFXII next- thank you for your attention to this post.

if you don't play X-2 next I don't know what you're even doing with your life

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Maybe if you don't enjoy jumping through the sidequest hoops and you don't enjoy being overpowered from sidequest rewards, stop doing sidequests? If you use a walkthrough to get all the sidequest rewards and hidden treasures, you'll end up overpowered in pretty much any Final Fantasy.

choosing to play in the least fun ways possible and then complaining about it is a staple of FF games. like the people who follow a guide to grind Tetra MasterTriple Triad cards/draw spells on Disc 1 of VIII on their first time or who turtle and chip away at health in XIII instead of learning to stagger

e: whoops wrong card game

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 1, 2019

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

it's a powerful combo but it's expensive af. reflect x2 is like 16AP? maybe i'm thinking of reflect-null

I think they're both ridiculously expensive

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess I'll put this in spoilers.
Was it just the LP or is the whole reveal about Prompto just hollow and worthless in the game, too? It doesn't feel like it goes anywhere or Noctis has any meaningful reaction to it. It was...anticlimactic in the extreme.

My memory of everything at the end is that it felt incredibly rushed.

in the main game it's absolutely not a huge deal, either to the characters or to the story. it exists as a way to show that he can open the doors or whatever, but it doesn't carry a bunch of emotional weight that it probably ought to. I don't know if any of that is expounded upon in his DLC

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rirse posted:

I beat FFX today, which man Yuna ultimate weapon plus her using a lot of Lulu's grid sphere just made her so broken that the final boss didn't even get more then a single attack off. I picked up FFXII on the Switch, but wonder if I should play X-2 next since I never played it and X is fresh in my memory to remember characters. If I play X-2, what some tips?

don't go for 100%. visit everywhere at least once per chapter when you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Zidane is the best protagonist in any FF game because he just goes around making new friends and helping them protect the things they care about--even the main antagonist