Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
continuing this from last thread:

Nibble posted:

Venat itself is kind of hard to classify as a villain. It's more antagonistic to the other Occuria than to any of the humans, and seems perfectly happy with the way you accomplished all your goals. Could even be possible that working with Cid/Vayne was part of a larger-scale plan that ended with you destroying the Sun-cryst like you did, which seemed to be its main goal.
I think Venat was aiming for Ashe destroying the Sun-Cryst. There's no actual proof, but Cid points the party directly to Giruvegan and everything else is basically deterministic from there.

That said, that plan relies on:
-Venat being confident that Ashe will destroy the Cryst (not entirely certain, especially with the dead-husband manipulation the rest of the Occuria have going on versus Vaan trying to get her to give up revenge)
-Venat knowing Cid will be okay giving Ashe those fake directions (basically guaranteed, since Cid's entirely motivated by researching nethicite and Venat can just tell him the actual plan: "she'll get a sword to open the Pharos, where the literal mother lode of nethicite is, and then you can fly there and we'll check it out together")
-the Giruvegan visit resulting in the Occuria giving Ashe a new Sword to cut a new Shard off the Sun-Cryst (literally 100% to happen since the Occuria are a bunch of uncreative manipulative cowards)
-presumably Vayne has to be on board with this, although knowing Venat is telling Cid to fly to the actual most powerful object in the world goes a long way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Super No Vacancy posted:

theatrhythm when
if they ported the arcade one with all the tracks to the Switch I would pay full price even though I already own the original and Curtain Call, game owns

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Onmi posted:

I really wish I could play FFXIV as a single player game. Unfortunately, these truths exist.

1. I do not bring in enough money to support a multiplayer game with a subscriptions
2. I have an addictive enough personality that I know I'd be sucked into it
3. Unless I had friends to take the plunge with, I wouldn't even be able to dive into an MMO
Once you solve 1, 3 is handled by so many goons existing :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jokes posted:

every so often some teacher's pet comes along and does the most damage and doesn't die leaving me behind in the dust.
back when I played 14 I was always so sorry for these people because they had to put up with me

like, sure, I was doing shitloads of damage, but I was also taking hits unnecessarily and loving up mechanics

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

That's one time and it's pretty far into the game.

And while I did forget about it, in my defense, I barely consider it a "dialogue option." It's a solution to defeating a boss, not a characterization option that leads to route splits. Then again, I've been playing so much SMT lately that this is probably why dialogue option means that to me at present.
actually one of the multiple endings is repeatedly failing there, so very slightly technically you're wrong :goonsay:

(but yes you need the Chrono Split ability or whatever it was called to get it anyway)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, they're fine. 1, 2, and 4 are technically superseded by the PSP versions. I prefer the PS1 version for 1 since the newer rebalance is a lot easier. Some versions of 4 GBA have minor combat bugs that tend to work out in the player's favor.
V GBA is best V, though. Since you didn't explicitly say it. (the PC/mobile port fixes some bugs, but most of those bugs are tilted in the player's favor for stuff like Four Job Fiesta challenge-esque runs, and it doesn't change the translation or actual play experience)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha jesus I forgot about Rosch too. That was so dumb.
I assumed that Jihl Nabaat came back and I forgot about it altogether, so coulda been worse.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
10 owns, play 10. I mean, 15 isn't awful, but 10 is actively super good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn’t they announce a single player cell phone version of 11 when they announced it was going into maintenance mode?
unironically would buy

like, they have the Trust system to give you a full NPC "party", they hardly even need to balance anything, just release that poo poo for an amount I can pay upfront and let me Dick Around In Vana'Diel(tm)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jokes posted:

It's a really, really chill experience now and if you liked or enjoyed or even just played FFXI at all back in the day you should take a look at least through the free trial.
how big is the free trial and also do they still occasionally run the "we'll dust off your old character for you" campaigns cause my blm75 could use a walkabout

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

Amon's a little harder to find a portmanteau with a famous Final Fantasy heavy-hitter.

(I was going to use the FFXIV version of him but this is so adorably pixelated and ugly)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WaltherFeng posted:

Im assuming you are playing on PC? How does it work? Do you have to party with other people?
You can get away with soloing now - they added this thing called Trusts which are just summonable NPCs that unlock at level 5, aka "basically instantly" and you can end up with a full party of 5 NPCs+you.

(this is the only reason I've ever even considered going back to XI.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OhFunny posted:

3 and 5 can be whatever version since I won't buy them.
5 is the best single-digit FF, fight me :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

If you want pure turn-based instead of ATB, 10 is your only good option.
excuse me have you considered Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

I already mentioned FFX.
:yeah:

I couldn't resist :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
when will SE license the Fox Engine from Konami

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

Taking my first trip through the continent and hearing the bagpipe garbage Sandy starters had to live with was plenty of consolation for being last place in conquest every week
lol@Lastok

I wasn't even on the goon server and Bastok was always last on Bismarck too, to the point where I had the Windurst outpost teleport to uh... the one right outside Bastok, which was not Ronfaure and my memory is dying (it's Gustaberg but I had to google it) within like, a month of starting playing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

Gustaberg is pure misery, even as a Bastok lifer I know Ronfaure is the superior track and area
Ronfaure had the best music by a mile but I really dug the chill Sarutabaruta field countryside aesthetic

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Besson posted:

I can’t believe how much of a leap forward it is from X.
I'm really glad that not only did IZJS finally get a Western release, but they nailed it, plus HD'd it, plus added some QoL, plus ported it to the Switch, because 12 was my favorite even in the original version and I like posts like this :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

It is absolutely identical to IZJS minus two jobs and resetting jobs.

Yes, Ive played FF12 3 times. Yes I am not smart
I barely have you beat - twice on PS2, once emulated IZJS, once TZA - and I am, assuredly, also not a smart man.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They probably say what a Lunar Cry is before disc 3 but it's likely only told in easily-missed side-content.
I think they say it in literally the first five minutes in the SeeD training documentation that nobody loving reads or in like, the SeeD rank tests that nobody loving does (and then probably never again)

8 also had a lot of totally optional content that nobody ever did

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MMF Freeway posted:

"for some reason"

:thunk:

13 is fine, I think the battle system is pretty cool and the music is great
One of the worst parts of 13, unironically, is that the good part of the random encounter theme doesn't cut in until 58 seconds in, when you should be finishing the fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk

Lightning Returns fixed this by frontloading it to the actual first notes of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember when ExDeath turne dhimself into a splinter so he could kill a turtle?
That turtle held his own long enough to get the party out of there, it was probably smart of Exdeath to target him specifically.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you're reading a walkthrough online for an older JRPG and it's not by A L E X you're loving up
Djibriel has some #content for specifically ff5 and 6 that is functional

but otherwise acceptable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Looper posted:

to be fair you do need a special accessory on mario for his jump specials to work on spikey enemies in smrpg

i suppose mario is basically a dragoon
Mario is absolutely a dragoon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I can't remember the name of the poster who was rabidly pro-FF13's plot-and-Datalog and then got perma'd. Someone jog my memory?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

morallyobjected posted:

just got The Zodiac Age and I can't remember the weirdness around turning in bazaar items. am I supposed to hoard them forever and turn them all in at once near the end or turn stuff in as I go?
Don't sell the Great Serpentskin, since you can use it for a side quest.

If you're really tryhard, also don't sell Gemsteel and Empyreal Soul when Montblanc gives you one each, since you need 3 each for the Tournesol.

Beyond that, sell early and often.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

StrixNebulosa posted:

My favorite thing about FF8 is the horrifying background detail of "oh yeah, we can't use radio waves anymore because they're constantly drowned out by a woman pleading for help" and it's worldwide and they had to change their tech because of that. And it's just a background detail, like, holy poo poo tell me more about this.
And the one time they are like "we're gonna try a new amplifier to make a TV broadcast that isn't just a woman screaming for help" you can see the screen before the amplifier switches on and yep, it's all IWILLNEVERFORGETYOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elephant Ambush posted:

I stopped playing FF8 right after the fight with Torg or whatever its name was. Even with random encounters turned off the game has tons of unnecessary padding that forces you to run around different places doing what amounts to fetch quests and mini games instead of letting you just move on with the plot and fight the next boss.

I like the combat and some of the fights are pretty cool but holy poo poo the slog between boss fights is agonizing.
it was NORG, all hail Master NORG, NORG is the true master of Garden

I like how he just literally had hooded robed cultists running the entire place and Cid was like "yep, seems legit, this is the best source of funding available to me"

nobody's mentioned how the generic not-moogle race literally was part of the life cycle of the mind flayers that lived in a secret underground biodome yet

8 was wild

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't machina that's specifically blessed by priests of Yevon supposed to be okay? I thought they said something about that just before Operation Mi'hen about how it wasn't heresy because the high priests were all cool with using the guns or whatever (Wakka didn't buy it, but the average person who hadn't lost a brother to machina-related military death probably would)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hyper Inferno posted:

For highest damage off a single action, it's probably attack reels Wakka. For highest average damage (allowing grinding), it's probably a max elemental Eureka FFXIV character beating up on mobs in the low level zones. If you discount XIV because it's a MMO, then it's probably a FFXIII character.

The more interesting question is who has the highest damage relative to other characters in the same game with/without grinding. Cause then you get things like FFIX where every character pretty much caps out at 9999 with grinding, but then Vivi and Eiko are the only characters who can get reliable multiple hits on their turns with Dbl White/Dbl Black.
Everyone forgets that Steiner has Charge! which can make all four party members physically attack for the low cost of "you killed everyone on purpose and then Phoenix Downed them back to make sure they're in crit HP" (i.e. you can do it basically at will with small setup before any important fight if you really need to re-unheal)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm probably just bad at it but Trema really gave me a lot of trouble

I think all the guides from the PS2 days say to use some glitch with the catnip accessory which isn't possible in the remaster
I mean, Cat Nip + Trigger Happy wasn't really a glitch per se... but yeah they nerfed it in the remaster because it was also stupid good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

seiferguy posted:

What's the best way to play FF5 these days? Advance with a rom patch?
Either Advance with a rom patch or SNES with translation patch + Career Day - you can turn off all the randomizer settings and just have auto-dash + autoskipped cutscenes.

But if you're playing it for the first time, Advance with the SNES music patch is the way to go (I don't give a poo poo about the music patch but people have very strong opinions about it so I'll recommend it.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zenguitarman posted:

Got FF5 on my phone for the fiesta this year and yeah, it's totally fine. Auto Battle is nice, the sprites are poo poo, but you get used to it. Shamefully never completed my run though.
Yeah, if you can stand the ugly sprites (and aren't fiestaing to care about fixes to things like Omniscient and !Calm) there's a legit argument for the mobile version because autobattle is just that good. I should have mentioned that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There are trains and steam engines too, so it's not like nonmagical technology couldn't produce a car, they just have Magitek walkers and poo poo so why bother.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trasson posted:

Balance through obscurity was never going to survive the rise of the internet.
Was it ever deliberately balance through obscurity? I figured Rikku was just trying to sell the strategy guide, and as for FFV Chemist that game has enough inexplicable design decisions (and I love it so much, don't get me wrong) that I just figured it was, you know, random Japanese dude.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Augus posted:

my favorite part of X-2 is losing completion % if you sped up even a single line of dialogue instead of letting the voice actor finish reading it
Is your actual favorite not that there's 0.2% locked behind walking with your boy Maeschen down the entire length of like five screens without interrupting him once?

The only way it could be worse is if there was a QTE at the end to stop you from walking away.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gigglefeimer posted:

It's like you've mixed up memories from two entirely different parts of the game here, and you've combined them into a single false memory.
I probably did. I just remember the longass conversation, was that not also a long staged walk?

edit: lmao no it was even better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9fvS_nm3U

I skipped ahead two minutes and the camera had zoomed out slightly

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WaltherFeng posted:

Is it really spelled Dressphere?

Wow
No way. No way.

...welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cartoon Violence posted:

I just got Rydia in my party in FF4 (Steam) and it's already obviously a more polished game with a more interesting story. I'm going into all these games blind aside from playing part of 13 as a teenager and watching my brother beat 10 when I was 6 or 7 years old. Cecil has to babysit a single digit aged girl and the first thing he does is make her fight 50 desert gremlins to get stronger so he can take her "somewhere safer" AKA a scummy dungeon full of monsters.
Does the Steam version have the DS version's Augment system? Because if so you might not want to go in totally blind, there's a specific thing you might wanna know (and the DS version has New Game + and ++, but caps out at the third playthrough...)