Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It rhymes with “Maureen.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It isn't even really a double entendre. They are literally engaging in graphic sex talk in front of you and the WoL still doesn't get it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gologle posted:

The original novel though, as someone who read alot of her stuff before I even heard that there was a cartoon adaptation of her most prominent book, isn't that great.

I think you meant to say that the original novel is a lot better.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I note that the new translation also gives Kevin a normal speech pattern instead of "me beast man, me talk good."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I still can’t quite get over drawing Duran as a pretty-boy with cobblestone abs under his crop-top.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, noes! They gave Charwwotte a weally annoying accent in this twanswation!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bruceski posted:

So is it Lise or Riesz in the official translation?

Riesz.

Also interested to know if they fixed Agility, which I understood was bugged into uselessness in the original.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Isn’t she supposed to be 15 or something?

They fixed Kevin from the fan translation but then broke Charlotte.

She's 15 but half-elf, so effectively younger. And yeah, pretty much.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think anything is ever going to beat Absolute Virtue.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

This. I'm on board with improvements and story changes. If I wanted the exact same game I'd play the original.

To be a success, the remake has to be more than a graphical update and I hope SoM remake taught Square that for good.

I don't know that I agree?

The Secret of Mana remake was unpopular, like the FF5 and FF6 remakes, because they were bad graphical updates that did not actually look better than the originals. We don't have nearly as many data points for good updates.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That would work better if it was easy to lock yourself into the Jumi path or the Dragon path, rather than having like three minor quests you can lock yourself out of by not following a land placement guide.

That said Legend of Mana is super charming and I am totally down for a remake.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Laguna would have been a pretty decent dad if anybody had told him he had a kid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Elentor posted:

I cared about fem shep because man the first time I played as male shep the VA was bleh but then I played as fem shep and was like "oh I guess this is why people like Jennifer Hale".

So question to all y'all who grew up on FFs, when was the last time you played a game and you genuinely went "oh my god this is amazing" by the game's story/narrative? Not "eh it's serviceable", but a real "holy poo poo!". The game's atmosphere (like I was talking about ME2) doesn't count, unless both are hopelessly intertwined.

Also I don't care if the game is good or bad or whatever all of that is subjective, I'm just curious about which game caused that to you and when.

Shadowbringers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The modern translation of that name has been "Karlabos," which sounds about the same but honestly doesn't make any more sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Eorzea has kind of a weird tech level because magic explicitly meets a lot of those needs. They have a fairly primitive transportation infrastructure because most people can teleport in a pinch (although most people can only do it safely every so often). They don't have particularly advanced weaponry because they have wizards instead. Even "non-magical" classes like warriors are, in fact, using magic, which is why seven-foot-tall roegadyn and two-foot-tall lalafell are more or less equivalent as greatsword wielders.

The primary technological power in the setting got into technology because they have a unique racial debility that prevents them from using magic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

FFXIV seems to have decided that Ala Mhigans have Welsh accents, although their visuals seem to be a much sloppier blend of multiple cultures.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Varis zos Galvus probably ranks pretty high as a bad dad.

Laguna would probably have been pretty good dad if anybody told him he has a son. I blame Adel for wrecking international communications.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not really certain what Barret was "supposed" to do. It's not like he could vote Shinra out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lady Mio probably counts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's honestly kind of weird that these kids have lost enough memories that it's crippling but not so that anybody would notice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The crossover made me buy FFXI and start playing it again. I got to about level 15 before I decided to never do that again.

It's got all the problems FFXIV has without the charm.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing about the Longhaft quest chain is that it isn't really innuendo at all — everybody involved is extremely clear and open about what's going on and what they intend to do and the only person who doesn't get it is the WoL.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

oh my god

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The 100% ending is good because Tidus is hot. There, I said it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

jokes posted:

I clocked 19 verraises on the last boss in the most recent Nier raid my first time, which only confirmed that I should only ever do new raids as RDM. Turns out nobody knows how to raise people who aren't in your party?? I ended up just blowing all my MP on raises so my DPS was horrible, but in a sense a verraise is a DPS spell. It's like I'm summoning lovely players!

In fact, ACT should allow you to add other players' DPS to yours if you raise them.

To be honest, my UI is cluttered so I have the alliance bars turned off.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

IXR would also be kind of awesome.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Beatrix also has her own mini-arc in which she's convinced that her actions were inappropriate and she should switch sides so she's not really in the same category as the Turks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'd be happy to try BNW without the new script if it was possible. Some of what it does, I tend to do through self-imposed restrictions when I replay the game anyway (like limiting how many people can "attune" to any given Esper so that I have to think about who gets what magic).

This is, in fact, possible, using the Clean New World version of the mod.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I strongly dislike these. It seems like the effect of every change was to make them slightly more generic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Chesterton once remarked that an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered, and an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.

Pretty much every video game is a balancing act between adventure and inconvenience.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Does the PC version of these have particularly annoying DRM? I've just gotten back into PC gaming lately and was annoyed to see that the PC version of Legend of Mana apparently uses Denuvo, which I've heard is (or was) something you don't want on your machine.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alisaie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If they already basically remade FFIX's backend, it seems like it should be fairly easy to just drop in new HD models and backgrounds if they feel like taking the trouble to make them.