Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just finished FFVIII and I really really like it. I had tried to play it before on my PS Vita, but I ended up bouncing off of it really hard right after disc one. I’m pretty glad that I gave it another shot.

Two thoughts: First, Squall is actually a really good protagonist, especially once you realize that the story is 75% about his emotional growth, and second Drawing and Junctioning are bad systems that I don’t like, but luckily they don’t get too much in the way of the core Final Fantasy gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Triple Triad rules, except when you’re in space. It sucks when you’re in space

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just beat Omega Mk XII and got the Scrivener trophy in FFXII Zodiac Age. I only need to do the arena mode and I’ll have platinumed the game.

FFXII is good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

seiferguy posted:

I didn't even know what the canon was and I still chose her :smuggo:

There is no canon romantic relationship Joker gets into.

I platinumed FFXII TZA and now I have no idea what to do. I picked FFIX back up but boy that game has problems. The battles are so slow and there’s so many missables!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

mateo360 posted:

and without quoting in your reply I know that how Einstein?

EDIT: Plus that smilie mean absolutely nothing to me

That smilie, iirc, is Ironicat. The idea is that you use it when people are being hypocritical or undercutting there own argument. White Dragon found it ironic that I have problems with how slow the combat is in FFIX despite loving FFXII, a game that he, presumably, believes to have slow combat. I’ve always been rubbed the wrong way by it, it always seems to be used by a person being a jerk for little to no good reason.

I pretty much always used the speed up in FFXII and I’m not crazy about how long FFIX takes to have a character start their animations in a battle. And there really are too many missables! It’s frustrating to miss out on cutscenes because you went the wrong direction in Treno, or to have to wait on collecting treasure because you didn’t do enough Chocobo Hot and Cold!

And don’t even get me started on Tetra Master...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, the argument about female character designs has left me thinking:

Which male character in Final Fantasy is the most fuckable?

My guess is Kuja

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I thought the r-word stuff was also patched out

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Black Mage + Monk gives you good HP growth and access to Holy, which gets boosted by the Staff of the Magi

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

From sales and reviews and word of mount it seems to gone down really well. I dunno what world you living in where FF15 was a failure.

I would call FFXV a failure of narrative and pacing. Everything else was pretty good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Big Bizness posted:

I would love a FF1 remake that really emphazied the scale and dynamics of the world and navigating it in different ways. Something that feels like the Witcher 3 in terms of foliage and terrain, but significantly more diverse in terms of climate and elevation. Make using the canoe and ship, and of course the airship, feel really good and different mechanically then just pointing the stick as if you were still on foot. Allow fast travel for locations already visited.

Keep the storyline minimalist on the surface but play up the cryptic history of the world. Let the people who want to go hog wild on the lore do so via side quests, NPC dialogue and detailed tableaus within the dungeons, temples and castles. Show don't tell, as much as modern SE can handle that anyway.

Combat would be similar to the FF7r but have multiplayer support. Maybe have more mobs in larger groups with less HP. Whoever is hosting determines current world and quest status.

This game will never exist but a man can dream...

That’s just dark souls. You just want dark souls

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really really hate the combat in IX and the sheer amount of missable cutscenes. I’m considering going back to it but boy it does not seem worth it to me

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Himuro posted:

Legend of Dragoon had the unfortunate luck of being dubbed a Final Fantasy killer, which it wasn't. It's still a good game though. The combat system was fun as gently caress.

I can’t think of a single game that benefitted from being called an “x game” killer

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Luso Clemens doesn’t show up, 0/10 terrible raid series

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mustached Demon posted:

Kid's taking naps slightly more effectively so I got some more FFXII in! Quick question: is it ok to sell all loot? I have a crippling case of video game hoardism and wanna be sure loots only for Gil/bazaar.

Selling loot is good and cool, just don’t sell your gysahl greens or teleport crystals

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sakurazuka posted:

I finished FF14 today it was okay apart from the mmo bits

I’m curious what your definition of finished is

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is literally every FF game. They're all equally the easiest games ever made. Even the first time through without a guide. Anyone who has a different experience is literally an infant who will always suck at video games forever.

I’d say that that’s not necessarily true for the first three. Also, I’m told XI was difficult (although that’s hard to say for an mmo) and XIII had some difficulty to it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ultrachrist posted:

How’s the mobile version of FFV? Haven’t played in forever and might give fiesta a try.

It removes some of the bugs that people like to use and, while I have no problem with the graphics, it does, as previously said, make some people poo poo with rage.

Besides that its a perfectly fine way to play the game

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

HD DAD posted:

Me as a dumbass 12 year old: FFV is boring and has no story and doesn’t even touch masterpieces like VII and VIII.

Me as a refined 32 year old: Time to replay the very excellent FFV for the third time this year.

I played FFV for the first time in high school and it quickly became my favorite mainline Final Fantasy and my second favorite Final Fantasy over all

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RillAkBea posted:

I've played a little more now and it's really starting to click. Not having to go through the eye-catch and results screen every time I want to shiv a wolf is pretty nice for a start.

Penelo's by far my favorite character in this game so far I think (though lizard-pig barkeep seems cool) and her protective childhood friend bit makes sense because Vaan objectively really is that stupid. If he weren't the protagonist I'm pretty sure he'd already be floating face down in the rat cistern with some "unexplained" sword wounds.

Vaan is dumb but also probably very good at running away from trouble

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you want a less lore heavy more character focused Ivalice game, might I suggest Tactics A2? That game’s plot is mostly there so the main trio can have fun banter

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Vaan basically just needed some cool older sibling figures to guide him and dunk on him and a cause beyond revenge to grow as a person, and I think it works well. He’s a good viewpoint character

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ffxii is basically a retelling of star wars, and has oodles of its own charm added to the mix, its my fave ff by far

Final Fantasy’s roots feel like they’re tied to two franchises: D&D and Star Wars. FFXII is super Star Wars but so are FFIV and FFII

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Agents are GO! posted:

I wish Vincent could get one good line against Sephiroth though: "I would've been your father, but Hojo got there first."

But basically they should have Vincent behave like Advent Children Cloud, but the rest of the party having exactly none of it.

...you want Vincent to tell Sephiroth that he was cuckolded?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There are more games set in the world of FFXII, namely Revenant Wings and Tactics A2, if you want to explore Ivalice more

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Barudak posted:

So is it Disney songs or the songs from Kingdom Hearts I ignore?

Almost all of the music from KH isn’t from Disney. There’s a few songs that are (This Is Halloween, comes to mind) but the vast majority was composed for the games

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

jokes posted:

Sexualized child soldiers is the foundation upon which Final Fantasy stands tall.

I mean... no. No it is not. Not at all

To elaborate: child soldiers isn’t an element of the story of most FF games besides VIII, which doesn’t sexualize its characters. There’s a big difference between characters that are designed to look “cool” and sexualized characters. It’s not Selphie is walking around with her boobs out.

This is a real bad post

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

What's really that pervy in FF1-9? Closest it gets is Tifa having a big chest (which doesn't really factor much into the actual character), a few male characters like Edgar, Irvine, and Zidane being overly-flirtatious, and maybe the 3D redesign for Rydia if you want to count that. And even the later games aren't that horny with the exception of the exceptionally horny FF14.

FF really isn't that pervy as a series in general.

FFXIV isn’t that horny, it’s FFXIV players that are horny

Anyways here’s famously sexualized character Celes Cher:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hellioning posted:

And there are a lot of leotards for some reason?

It was the nineties

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I said that FFXIV isn’t horny and now I remember that Shiva got vored by a dragon. I am a fool

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Polderjoch posted:

According to this theory, the reason Galuf died in 5 is because he's the only one in the party to ever have had kids. Same goes for Bartz's dad, actually.

The game’s about the passing on of generations, and how the kicking a problem down the road is really a bad idea, not sure if it’s having sex that kills you as much as not solving the Evil Tree when you have the chance

Cid has a grandson, which implies he hosed at least once, and he’s alive by the end

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The White Dragon posted:

what about red xiii

What about Red XIII?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gologle posted:

Did we play the same game lol

The whole point of the Dawn Warriors is that they’re a previous generation whose legacy failure and failure get passed to the Warriors of Light. Lenna also picks up the cause of her father after he failed to prevent the Wind Crystal’s destruction.

Then, there’s Exdeath: he’s a tree so full of spirits that he became sentient, evil, and powerful. If people hadn’t kept dealing with evil spirits by chucking them into a tree, he wouldn’t have been created.

There’s a whole bunch of other examples of problems in the game that are caused by previous generations kicking the can down the road

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jupiter Jazz posted:

This opinion is baffling.

Look, no shroom, no deal, capisce?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Luso is my favorite isekai protagonist

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Am I supposed to do something when I do a Quickening?

The idea is you chain Quickenings together. If you chain enough of certain types, you do bigger, more damaging move. Generally you need every character to at least have the level 1 Quickening unlocked

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Agents are GO! posted:

FFTA2 is one of Square Enix best games.

Hard agree

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also Fell Seal was on sale for $10 on Switch and it’s a pretty good FFT clone! It’s not FFT (what is) but it’s has some modern changes to the formula that are welcome.

I kind of hate Fell Seal. It makes a lot of bad decisions that I don’t like. The injury system is garbage and makes it way too easy for a unit to fall behind, and a lot of the job designs are either bland or underpowered

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bongo Bill posted:

Destroying the crystals to unmake the world is Exdeath's plan specifically.

When you think about it, the plot of FFV is just Exdeath’s overly elaborate suicide attempt

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s also the spell Cleanse, which heals Disease specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s kind if weird that you’re running into disease so early, then. The main times I ran into it were much later in the game