Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Played some CC with a buddy and I would almost call the multiplayer actively hostile. Really sucks to have to run through each dungeon for each of your friends since only the host actually gets anything beyond their artifact at the end. Not to mention they can't live in your village. Very odd design choices here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The remaster really missed the mark for me on why I would be excited for such a thing. The multiplayer of the original was a pipe dream for a lot of players, like me, and this presented another opportunity to experience that. Except what they presented was still effectively the single player game most knew, with just a glimpse of what the co-op offered during the dungeons. Disappointment is not strong enough a word to cover it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I unironically enjoyed The After Years when I played it episodically as a WiiWare title.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am watching a FFXI first-time stream and this is too hilarious, thank you early 2000s
I've been playing XI in my spare time recently and as someone who only knows it by reputation, it is interesting. To be honest, it is nearly inscrutable, but I'm getting it. You really have to put your nose to the grindstone to get what you want in XI, and I appreciate it for that. Unlocking DRK for instance, you have to find its trainer (with only a vague lead), kill 100 things with a crappy sword (which you have to track yourself), then find the trainer again in a different place (with an even more vague lead). I used a wiki of course, but I am very curious as how players went about this before easily accessible guides.

I don't think XIV needs to adopt more of XI's arcane systems, but it's fun to see where XIV came from.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thancred is the van. Can only do overland travel and breaks down at the strangest times.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Looking at the trailer, I'm guessing the main character will be able to channel the power of different summons and this will manifest in gameplay as different fighting styles.

If true I am in. I've speculated that this is how Summoner should have operated in XIV once they started depreciating the pets.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Eox posted:

They seem to be calling summoners Dominants, and that's gonna make for some fun dialogue.

Fifty Shades of Summoning

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

jokes posted:

FFV had all the crystals being destroyed (gwahahahaha), and things seemed to be just fine. If not a little boring.

I mean, the destruction of the very first crystal in the prologue all but destroyed conventional sea travel instantly. Although the destruction of some are a slow burn, like the earth crystal.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Landslide is extremely good, as are all of the primal remixes in Eden.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Exdeath is my favorite villain. He's literally a monster so no need to humanize him. His backstory is explicit and straightforward. His goal is clear (when it is revealed to the party anyway). He even achieves his goals repeatedly, even if he couldn't control the Void.

Also his nemesis is a sarcastic turtle and it rules.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

jokes posted:

Everyone seemed to move past this post but your friend is bothering me.

For a while I dated a girl who pronounced Hermione Granger "her-my-own" and refused to believe it was pronounced otherwise and I'm still salty about it.

A former friend of mine used to pronounce chocobo without the h, as ko-ko-bo. He *insisted* this is how the Japanese pronounced but this was easily refuted with a kanji reading even a novice could preform. Some people just can't see past their own big heads.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There was talk about the FF6 romhack BNW a while back so I decided to try it. I made it to the Ultros fight on the river before I gave up on it. I just wasn't having any fun with it. Overworld enemies have OHKO aoes for some reason, and others have very hard hits regardless. I beat up Ultros forever but eventually he would do two attacks at once and kill someone and sometimes it was Banon. Annoying. I really liked most of the mechanical changes and bug fixes but not in exchange for the arbitrary increase in difficulty. Not a fan of the tone the authors put up in their readme and in some of the lines in the beginner house but I would have put up with that if the hack really wowed me.

Ah well; I'll play the GBA version instead.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can play a whole lot of XI solo nowadays, even though it is still reasonably populated for its age. Still obtuse as hell though; keep a wiki open.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FF8's core narrative conceit of all the party members already knowing each other and the (initial) antagonist, but they literally forgot is so dumb that it makes the whole game worse. The factoid that GFs cause memory loss exists only to enable this revelation and is not used anywhere else.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 12, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I spoilered my comments. I dislike spoiler chat because I have hot takes about them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

VIII has one of the most realistic non-relationships I have ever seen in a game between Squall and Quistis. My fondest memory of the game is the scene between the two in Garden's make-out point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Do people think FFX is bad? It is a top tier FF.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some things color your whole childhood and I think playing the FFX demo from PlayStation Magazine is one of them for me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFX's bonus content is absurd and I haven't actually engaged in it. I did get all the ultimate weapons though and that was enough for me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My top FF is X-2. I replay it way more than X in any case.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Casually I used to run Kimhari through Tidus' section of the grid to get another source of haste.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't recall what the world at large knows about the pilgrimage outside of that the summoner dies at the end of it and then Sin is gone. Auron being the sole living survivor of any pilgrimage would make him the target of hundreds of scholarly questions I have to imagine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Outside of supplemental material, is the length of the Calm ever brought up? I don't remember it factoring into the story. I guess Spira being effectively in a dark age could have something to do with it, coupled with civilization basically being in survival mode.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If anything this discussion is 100% motivating me to replay FFX. Been a long time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The PS1 Chronicles version of 4 I think somehow introduced load times into the game which is no good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

People (rightfully) give poo poo to FFIV: TAY but it maintained IV's 5 party member limit and introduced a ton of Chrono Trigger style double/triple/quad(!)/penta(!!) techs which I always thought were rad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I just want to say that a single fight against a Malboro is warding me away from trying to get every GF in FFVIII.

I see you didn't obsessively battle hundreds of players across the globe in Triple Triad like I did and don't have dozens of Malboro cards to Card-mod.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For junctions, 'good enough' is my motto. I grind enough to learn Enc-none from Diablos then I am basically done with random battles since I can make up the difference with TT and drawing from enemies and bosses.

HP: Curaga. Mod tents. This also leaves you in critical state for Limit Breaks.
STR: Quake. Mod Trex cards. Later, put Triple here by drawing it from Odin. If you get around to massing Ultima, put it here too.
VIT: Meltdown. Refine from Gayla cards. Card the actual Gaylas around Trabia since winning their cards is a huge pain.
MAG: Who cares, you aren't casting magic. This does affect how effective drawing is so put curse here. Refine curse spikes for it.
SPR: Reflect. Draw it from Biggs during disc 2.
SPD: Triple is good here, but speed isn't a big deal imo since you'll be constantly way overpowered for your level.
LUK: Meh. Put aura here. You can get it from Seifer in Lunatic Pandora if you level him.
EVD: Tornado. Mod windmills which you can get from some TT cards. Low priority imo.
HIT: Squall doesn't need it since his weapon is fixed at 255%. Uhhh, but double here or something. Draw from the boss you draw Siren from in Dollet (I forget its name)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFVIII is amusing to me because you can 'beat' it before it really starts if you know how to exploit all the systems. You can set yourself up to be comically overpowered and never have to engage in random battles again as long as you can stomach the tedium of it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

if you want something specific, t-rexaur is a good one, though it's a rare encounter in the early game. you can refine its cards into items that refine into Quake once you get Brothers, and iirc that junctions even better to str than the Tornados you might have access to at that point in the game

Discussion of VIII has lead me to replay* it and let me assuage fears for everyone that you can refine Quake with Time-mag Refinement, which is granted by Diablos (which is why I thought it was odd to have to wait until Brothers to get it), but Tornado is still better, slightly.

*By replay I mean spend 8 hours before getting on the train to Timber playing Triple Triad and grinding magic like a lunatic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Speaking of FF4 I am trying TAY and just finished Rydia's tale. Is the last chapter worth all of... this? Is there any reason to do the challenge dungeons? Rydia's is quite unpleasant.

Not really! I say that as a sort of fan of TAY. The challenge dungeons are a holdover from when the tales were released individually as a time waster. You can get the best possible gear for the chapter out of them but there is always something better in the end. Your efforts are somewhat rewarded because you can only get certain tails during the chapters.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like to think if VIII was made today Fujin would speak with just emojis.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

... was lunatic pandora under the ocean at all? :confused:

It sure was. After Adel got deposed Laguna had it dumped into the ocean.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of the things I remember most about VIII is Squall and Rinoa are saved from terrifying space death by the one of the most unlikely events to ever happen: an abandoned space ship floated within range of them. The chance of that happening must have been vanishingly small, at best.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Artelier posted:

Yup, that's one major problem with FFVIII. Leveling up was by and large actively detrimental. There are a few reasons to pursue level ups, mostly to do with affecting drop rates and spells that can be drawn.

The game gives you an out for even this if you know to look for it, in Tonberry's level up/down skills. Tune the everything to your liking. FFVII gave the player basically every way possible to game it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

As someone who hasn't watched Advent Children, what's the deal with Omnislash ver. 5? What happened to versions 2-4?

According to the wiki this was a development joke as it was the 5th designed iteration of the attack for the film.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Doesn't one of the encyclopedia entries also specifically call out the whole "GFs kill your memories" thing?

Yes, and it's the only thing keeping the twist from being a complete rear end-pull. No one in the entire game otherwise refers to this fact.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

how are they supposed to remember it huh tough guy

:golfclap:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Levy all the criticism of DQXI that you want (a lot of it deserved tbh), but it was still my GOTY 2018. It was like reading a good book for me. Not groundbreaking, but very satisfying.

Edit: I don't think I deserved to be insulted over this opinion. XI was good!

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If you are actually insulted by people saying a game you like is bad then that is entirely on you, friend

Yeah, yeah. I just didn’t think opinion on it varied so much around here.