Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: ^^ Gaius would've been a much better pick.

I think their mistake was writing him, from the start, with knowledge he'd be Big And Scary and stick around for a while. It meant they couldn't write in the players beating him for most of Stormblood, and had to hold back on any interesting details for ages because otherwise they'd run out.

That's pretty clearly what they meant to do, though. Have an actual present, dangerous villain after how Heavensward kind of botched having a proper antagonist.

And the "details" don't really matter, you pretty much learn everything you need to know about him in his first couple of appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty sure "tarnishing the brand" would require FFXV to be widely hated

It's not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
FFXIII is a weird reverse Persona where the characters are so much better outside of the context of their original game so you might hate someone in XIII but love them in the sequels or in cameo appearances

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly I think the dungeons full of rooms that only exist to force an encounter may be the most egregious thing in the entire game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bongo Bill posted:

8 seems like a decent enough place to live in.

yeah I had satellite tv that would get taken out by rain I imagine "well the moon witch is screaming again I'm gonna miss my stories" wouldn't be very different

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The White Dragon posted:

nomura just needed to write a job for barret

Elentor posted:

I cannot believe that I'm going to both argue with twd my homie and defend nomura on the same post so this must be the fever

is this some thread in-joke meme I've missed

Tetsuya Nomura did not write Final Fantasy VII

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ulio posted:

Alright what's the bet on the release date? They really are still marketing this for the PS4 and PS5 might be out possibly next year so... Definitely looks like a game that will be dual release, I think if they don't give a release date at E3 it's going to be early 2021 with release date given next year's e3 or at VGA/Sony thing.

Square's last investor report predicted a massive revenue spike in q3 of this year

and there's not much else it could be

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not one of those people who were worried about them cutting out silly stuff but I was worried they were going to swap Tifa and Aerith's characterizations much as the fandom does but this trailer did a lot to assuage me of that

Game looks Good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

There probably isn't a ton of Red XIII to show. Dude is around for like one boss battle.

Hey everyone else is getting way more play than the original, why not Red XIII?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

will be playing as Tifa at every opportunity

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Avalerion posted:

It’s Squall, “has no idea what’s going on when she asks for a hug” is literally the case there. :(

Yeah there's zero chance Squall has ever been hugged in his life prior to this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Rikku isnt dumb shes slightly hyper but is usually the one who questions if Yunas gun jumping or Paines aggression is a smart move. Shes also usually the first to encourage the same decisions once someone goes "Nah itll work".

Almost as If shes the same character as in FFX but the tone of the game is slightly more laid back so she can be goofier with it.

Sorry but this is the FF thread you're not allowed to have actual accurate reads on characters here, in the thread where twenty years later people still haven't figured out why Irvine didn't want to shoot Edea

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

zedprime posted:

I don't know that the language exists to get the right double entendre. They really push the irony that he's an attempted genetic clone the way they speak of Reunion but actually Hojo knows the whole time it was a clone of the project, in that he was just trying to recreate what he did earlier.

So yeah maybe just cut the grand ironic double entendre to instead just simply say Cloud was made like Sephiroth.

I have full faith in whatever localization choices made in FF7R being better than the original's

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Can we maybe not post unmarked spoilers for a game that isn't out for two months

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Terper posted:

7R is not 7 and I think it's fair enough to ask for people to tag what happens that differs from the og

Yes this is what I meant and not "don't spoil this 30 year old game"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gologle posted:

I feel like I'm going to turn into that guy who exists solely to remind people that FF14 is way better than FF7R once it comes out in March.

Maybe just don't?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nessus posted:

Are they getting Soken extra chicken to do the music for this one, or is it still credited to Uematsu/faceless music drones in the vocaloid bay?

Uematsu is the only person announced to be working on the music

Not sure Soken has the time to work on anything else full-time or what you mean by faceless music drones

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Elentor posted:

I never said a game needs to be balanced to be good. There are plenty of articles on game design that suggest otherwise even.

I said that regardless of intention, they were garbage. A lot of stuff simply doesn't work. The term "Perfect Imbalance" can be applied to a myriad of games, but oldschools JRPGs certainly don't apply for the most part.

Also if you think their decisions make perfect sense, ask yourself this in all sincerity: Were any of these older games released today by any other AAA company, do you think they'd go a single month without a lot of balance patches, even as single-player games? Because even SP games get patches and my friend, the treatment that oldschool FFs got are pretty wild as it is. I'm looking at you FFX and FFXII.

Or to ask a question that puts things a lot more into perspective: How much worse would it have been for hardcore Pokemon fans if the main games became ARPGs? I'm willing to bet that people would become far, far, far more furious about it than they do about FFs. People are willing to shrug off genre changes because the old games made anything but perfect sense.

These hypotheticals are complete nonsense. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Please don't follow up the "JRPGs feature a lot of teenagers and twentysomethings" discussion with "Kingdom Hearts titles are weird" I already felt like I was travelling back in time to when that was a relevant topic

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HD DAD posted:

Can SE and especially Nomura please stop fetishizing Latin nonsense

A culture thinks words from a foreign language are cool? Weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Can't wait to see what things in FF7R people don't like and arbitrarily decide to blame on Toriyama.

Though considering he was announced as being added to the team in like November I'm not actually sure what "directing" he's going to be doing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think I may just wait till the game is released to pass judgment on vague possible plot points that may or may not be a thing in an unfinished video game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would not trust the translation of literally anything in the original FF7 much less rally around it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Leal posted:

Aerith sounds like someone got backhanded in the mouth and I will gladly throw hands to make it a reality.

I bet you fuckers call him "tee-das" instead of "tye-dus"

yes because "tidus" is based on an actual word pronounced "tee-da"

this isn't even an aerith thing there's a clear stated etymology for the word that makes the pronunciation obvious

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you've got a beef with Teedus take it up with the developers and the Okinawan language!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's only ever said in KH and thus is not canon to FFX. Sorry, it's Tide-us.

Nobody ever says Tide-us in FFX either!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK3EfCDbOF4&t=1426s

Yes they do.

They also say it regularly in Dissidia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIc53LXAbk&t=92s

Like this isn't a case of "they just said it once in KH and never again." It is how his name has been pronounced every single time it has been voiced.

I think you need to go back and reread what side of this I'm on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NikkolasKing posted:

I never once said there's no political message in FFVII. I think I said the exact opposite like a day or two ago.

But there's literally no conventional government or state anymore so of course the only power left has a standing military to maintain its hegemony. This is not comparable to any real world corporation, no matter how powerful,. Death squads are not the same as having the most advanced military ion the planet. Shinra has the only military on the planet as far as we can tell.

That's because Wutai had a military until Shinra killed them all in a war specifically started because Wutai wouldn't give Shinra permission to build a mako reactor in their country.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Had to go dig it up, since I posted it in the last thread, so here you go

I think my favorite part of this is Iscar's "change and growth as a character" is literally the exact same arc Cait Sith/Reeves had.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah like 99% of Cid's characterization in FF7 is just being a relentless rear end in a top hat until he just stops and it never comes up again

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Franchescanado posted:

But his limit breaks :qq:

It's pretty weird how Cid is a huge jerk, but he's a fan favorite cuz he gets some of the best limit breaks? A lot of people love him as one of their finals.

It's not that weird when taken as a whole with the weird curse FF7 has where the game people remember and the game that actually exists are two completely different things.

Plus a lot of people were like 7-13 when they played that game and it probably went over their heads (or as an extremely hypothetical example that's definitely not drawing from personal experience they basically were on the receiving end of the same type of poo poo Shera got in real life and thus conditioned to believe she had it coming)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Clarste posted:

It's sort of weird how in Crisis Core Wutai is portrayed as a rival superpower to Shinra and even in the original they built that giant gently caress-off canon in Junon to fight them, but the actual country is one tiny tourist town.

I don't know if it came across well in the original but I think it's apparent the reason Wutai is a tiny tourist town is because of the war. All they have left is entertaining people who want to come see their "exotic" culture because they got owned that hard in the war.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You're assuming a game that is exactly beat-for-beat like the original which this is very much not

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
VIIR's combat feels like what FFXV's combat could have been with like six more months in the oven (and the KH2 combat designer)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I would say he's more of a Proud Clod.

Waiting for the riots if we ever get to that point in FFVIIR and people find out it's Proud Clad

e: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Jamar_Armor loving come on

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder if people remember that hundreds will die horribly being crushed under the dropping place of a section of the city.

Along with the many casual settlement leveling by Shinra and the fact some MAKO reactor do micro meltdowns too. It was a dark game indeed when not embracing the crazy.

Given the videos of FFVIIR Chapter 2 showing the horrible effects of a reactor explosion there's zero chance you do not get a long, detailed look at the plate fall.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Describing that as "Cloud being a dick" is weird since it implies this is something he's deliberately doing instead of a side effect of his brain being full of Jenova juice

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lezard_valeth posted:

So i just finished my 100% FFX-2 run. Gonna new game+ for the fiend arena sidequest.

A question though, is it ever explained how Shuyin got so super powerful? Guy can hack people and aeons and just his memory alone is able to do the same. Like wtf Seymour was a summoner and best he could do as an unsent is summon a cool chair.

According to the Ultmania Shuyin isn't a proper unsent but a manifestation of his memories and hatred projected by pyreflies. Being able to go non-corporeal gives him a lot of side benefits.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I tried to do a thing a few years ago where I played every Final Fantasy chronologically in whatever format I felt like was good.

FF3DS single-handedly killed that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wouldn't recommend the NES version either as I don't really like the game but if you're going to play it then that's the one.

FF3DS feels like a concerted effort to squeeze anything fun out of an already kind of iffy game.