Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Barudak posted:

Also Balthiers backstory is just weirdly pointless.
I straight up forgot what his backstory even was until I replayed FF12 when TZA came out on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like that's uh... not equal.

FF7 is the story of a small town boy who accidentally gets infected with space alien juice after his best friend, a super soldier also infected with space alien juice, is forced into a death fight against the best super soldier who is the son of a mad scientist, a less mad scientist, and a space alien. Said friend dies and space alien juice makes the boy think he is his friend upon which he joins an eco-terrorist organization to fight an evil corporation via terrorist bombings which brings him into contact with his friend's girlfriend who is also the last living descendant of an ancient race who can speak to the planet, which is alive...

Meanwhile FF8 is the story of a boy fighting an evil time witch.

(You get the idea.)
I think the point is "We have to go fight this Evil Time Witch" doesn't quite resonate as much on a base emotional level as "Sephiroth killed my girlfriend, now I'm gonna get revenge" since that's an easy to understand motivation.

Aeris' death gives you a basic, simple goal to follow throughout FF7 even if you don't understand space alien juice super soldier and terrorist shenanigans that are going on very well. I don't think FF8 ever quite gives you as clear of a driving emotional motivation to go kill Evil Time Witch who I'm sure has a name I'll be able to eventually remember- perhaps this lack of one explains why theories like Squall is Dead or R=U caught on.

Though tbh I paid more attention to Triple Triad than FF8's story anyways. You wanna go for a round?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 6, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

/v/

Nerds would’ve been mad even if they stuck to her concept art so it’s just same poo poo on a different day, I would’ve been happy either way but the boobs are cool and good
Yeah for real, Remake Tifa looks great IMO.

FF7 Remake is going to own.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Badger joining a terrorist cell is now canon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Its not where you take things from, its where you take things to that matters IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF7R exists. R is the 18th letter of the alphabet, meaning the game is FF718.

7+1+8 = 16.

FF7R is FF16, and of course 1 + 6=7 which just further proves that FF16 is merely FF7.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hopefully the game itself is good but I really was not feeling that trailer at all.

Cleretic posted:

The problem with the XVI trailer aesthetic isn't that it's dark, it's that it's dull as dishwater. I stand by the twitter take I saw that called its aesthetic 'prestige TV show I got bored of three episodes in'.
I don't know what Twitter person posted that but I'm stealing it from them via you as proxy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What if the game is called Final Fantasy 16 because its only 16 hours long though

What then

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm a little surprised by the gender breakdown for FF6, but not at all surprised by the age breakdown.

Endorph posted:

the relatively young fanbase of ff9 is the most surprising part. if a lot of the fans are in their 20s then its a throwback to stuff that was out before they were even born.
When I was a kid anyways playing FF9 back when it was still new, it didn't really register as a game making a bunch of references to stuff I hadn't played. It was accessible and just another FF game like 7 to me, but with more of an actual fantasy theme.

Like for contrast's sake a lot of Xenogears does feel alien if you don't know the mecha anime its a pastiche of.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly for an NES era game FF1 has kind of a clever plot too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing that shouldn't exist is Chaos, so we're going to go kill him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Waiting for the reveal that the party is gonna become the 4 fiends working for chaos
"I need to kill Chaos!"
"No Jack, YOU are Chaos."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

It is kinda weird that there are only three of them. Maybe they meet up with another Warrior of Light at some point?
The fourth Warrior of Light is you, the player.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'll be shocked if they don't end up on the Switch eventually.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

lf only you could talk to the Chaos, then perhaps you could try and make friends with Chaos, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.
If I could talk to Chaos, the only thing I'd say is "I'm going to kill you Chaos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Hey sup y'all just wanted to let y'all know that I'm going to kill chaos
Same tbh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyone ever get the feeling that the mods on this site are pro-Chaos? I don't think I've seen any of them denounce Chaos yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Final Fantasy We Have to Kill Chaos Chronicles is legit one of the only reveals at E3 that looked even remotely any fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bring the guy that wrote the rap songs for the Knuckles stages to do a Final Fantasy OST.