Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I hope someone else in this thread is playing Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy. I only played a little bit but it's real cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Actually having a Tactics Advance Judge means you can't die by ordinary means so I would take that any day. Plus I get to go on adventures. If a nerd like Luso can become a hero, surely I could too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Believe it or not there is a portion of the game where the auction houses are not a thing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Almost nice.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'll stan for Daguerro, it's so pretty and optional how can you not love it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

It had issues at launch but they're pretty much all fixed so it mainly depends on how you feel about the graphics and whether you can put up the frankly not much fun gameplay in 2019.

:ssh: You're on the money, Secret of Mana was never much good to begin with. :ssh: It's just that with the nostalgia blindness gone people have realized it. :ssh:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Trials of Mana has actually made my soul separate from my body for eternity.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I was waiting for it and as soon as I saw "okay now get 99 of this item multiple times" I understood. :allears:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't believe that Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is still the only game to have a laugh track after all these years.

Have you not played trollish Mario Maker levels before?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I like how the existence of a triple triad button was used as an argument for and against it simultaneously.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Calaveron posted:

Wait so Squall Leonhart the guy whose best weapon is called the Lion Heart and best limit break is the Lion Heart and whose whole gimmick is leonine imagery missed being a Leo by one day?

This was not a mistake.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Pray tell, Mega64. I am but a humble forumsgoer, and I am wondering exactly what you mean by that Cait Sith comment? Surely they would not replace him with an entirely different character for no good reason, to the chagrin and humor of many an internet user?

:shepicide:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Up until when I read the LP I didn't realize that devour in-game actually cut to a "please stand by" screen while it happened, which makes that comic ten times better

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Live-a-Live is the most recent game I played that completely floored me with its narrative. Going into why would be very spoiler-heavy though, and I feel like everyone needs to experience it first-hand. Just describing it in text would be insufficient.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

You can't go wrong with Chocobos, to be honest, though I know they aren't often the stars of the show or have big deep arcs or anything.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It's often different teams who translate script and who translate menu-related stuff, so there can be a lot of inconsistencies. See the brilliant writing of Super Mario RPG compared to basic translation errors like Noknok Shell.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don’t think they used Meteo; it was too plot important a spell. If I recall, it was big wave. Anyway, they used dangerous magic in 4, too, aside from hitting like trucks.

The correct answer is they counter physicals with physicals and spells with Tornado. We can all sleep at night now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It rises out of the ocean as one triangular piece, not top first in a long tower. Unless I'm hallucinating or making up that entire sequence.

Nah the sprite that shows it coming up is just a cloned silhouette of the whole thing itself, so yeah.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

quote:

You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired!

this is a really good line too though

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Enuo felt like the most fair superboss (ironically maybe a bit easier than the superbosses blocking the way to him) in terms of things added to games after the fact. A lot of games don't have superbosses until then, and while FF5 has the famous duo, they're such cannon fodder for an experienced player of FF5 at this point that they don't even register to me on the spectrum anymore.

I don't like most of square's superbosses in the more modern games, like FF4 DS, FF10, and pretty much all the Dragon Quest games, as they're fights that demand you optimize almost every aspect of your character to max out your stats and characteristics, and then after that follow one strategy that works in order to win, with no room for creativity or improvisation. It's quite infuriating to be honest, but hey, what are you gonna do?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Everyone who plays the remake will have to deal with hearing the word "Aerith" said out loud. Will they survive?!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Any first timer noob tips for The Zodiac Age on Switch? Anything at all would be helpful.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Ever since asking about FF12 I've been playing it quite a lot. I'm currently up to Phon Coast in terms of main story, but I've taken a side trip to the Deadlands first. I'm really enjoying the amount of openness the game has in terms of exploration and wholly optional areas and bosses. I'm just tooling around killing things for profit and that's definitely an experience one needs every now and again. Bosses keep me on my toes in terms of using tactics outside of my gambits, and normal enemies are usually no problem but sometimes force me to refine my setup in a way that works better for everything down the line, which is well-appreciated.

I shoulda played this game a long time ago, I think, but being locked to Nintendo for so long has kept me away until now. Making up for lost time!

EDIT: Who had the masterpost of the findable magick and technicks? I missed Shades of Black somehow and I'm hoping that I haven't missed anything else :ohdear:

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 10, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

We should all be the change we want to see in the world re: that mod

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Amppelix posted:

No not noctis, the avatar you can create to get rid of his rear end

I had entirely repressed the FF15 multiplayer whatevermajig, is that still active?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Oh, here we go again.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I've been playing Zodiac Age regularly lately and I'm almost done, I figure I should finish the story before actually doing real postgame challenges, even though I finished the Great Crystal already. I don't like that the sidequests aren't marked, really, especially because a lot of them have actual legitimately useful things like reopening shortcuts or previous areas.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

So I just realized the Zodiac Spear and Zodiac Escutcheon in Final Fantasy 12 are probably references to the Spear and Escutcheon from Final Fantasy Tactics that you find in that one obscure place and they're some of the best equipment you can possibly use. Did anyone else put this together? Cause I don't think I've seen anyone talk about it before.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I know that Yiazmat is a notorious boss for its insane HP total and how long it takes to take down, but nobody ever talks about how after you're done with 80% of the fight it turns from a moderate threat into an absolute monster that can party wipe you in two seconds. If you're going to make me suddenly lose because I wasn't doing it right, game, at least have the dignity to do it early in the fight and not make me waste 40 to 50 minutes of my life finding out that I wasn't adequately prepared. Sigh. Well, that's it for my journey through Ivalice, maybe I'll see it again someday.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It's subtle but I saw that Vaan stopped seeing Rasler's ghost around the time that he decided he didn't want revenge anymore, and he had to help transfer that line of thinking to Ashe near the very end when they're at the Sun-Cryst.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

You don't really need complicated gambits for a while though so it's not that bad really.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The above is especially funny if you decide to run through Trial Mode partially for some rare steals, like I did to fetch relatively free Wyrmhero Blades.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

OhFunny posted:

It's a good thing the Switch version of FFXII let's you reset these job boards. I thought Shikari was a thief class and made Balthier one, but it's more of a tank and keeps pulling aggro from my Basch who is my Knight.

There isn't really an aggro system you can meaningfully interact with in this game outside of using Decoy on your tank of choice to make enemies target them always, from what I understood.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

vaan is whatever two classes suck the most, and benched

Vaan is the only character who hydrates after a tough battle so he might have the most brains of anyone on the team

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

RS2 and 3 right?

Both are solid and way better than Unlimited SaGa. imo RS3 is better as it's structured more like a traditional jrpg. Run around and recruit people then stumble into the story and keep going.

RS2 was more of a level up your party, die trying to beat a boss, level up your children who have inherited some of your stats, they also die trying to beat a boss, level up their children who have inherited a bit of everyone's stats so far, etc etc. Then finally kill the 5 bosses and the game is over.

Wrong, it's original SaGa 2 and 3, aka Final Fantasy Legend 2 and 3, which are not the same as the games square has recently released on all platforms.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Glad to see Crystal Chronicles got a release date. It had been delayed a few times so here's hoping this is the final date for definite.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Protagonist doesn't mean "the most important character" in case you weren't aware.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Probably one of the least appreciated subtleties of the story is that initially Vaan and Ashe are on the same page as represented by the ghost of Rasler (am I misremembering or did the image appear as Reks for Vaan too?) appearing at the same time for their different perspectives, but Vaan learns to let go sooner and then doesn't see the ghost anymore while Ashe still does. I'm not exactly sure what the turning point was for him but it's a somewhat insignificant event that ends up paying off later at the top of the Pharos.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Magus = more content, and I need that perfect file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Aren't magic tabs the hardest ones to get infinitely though? They come from those Alien enemies on the Black Omen which I think don't respawn, or if they do you have to maybe like run away or something to get them to? I know I never saw them on repeat runs.