Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Spirits Within isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How the gently caress did the Phantom cells inside Aki touch the 8th spirit while it was inside the force-fielded ship? And why did it then become the 8th spirit instead of simply killing it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started playing Final Fantasy XII

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Leal posted:

Speaking of final fantasy games and horniness

You can tell that the empire is the bad guys because they're the only ones completely covered up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What an unusual progression system

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, the MSQ think in the top left of the FFXIV screen is pretty fantastic. FFXII doesn't have that and I've completely forgotten where I'm supposed to take this sunstone

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

giving up on hunting this cactus with a flower to go back and do the plot. "It's in the Yardang Labyrinth!" bitch this whole map is a labyrinth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can not figure out these menus. I don't know how to change the party leader, I don't know how to use a teleport stone, and I know that at some point I figured out how to teach characters spells because Penelo knows cure, but gently caress if I can figure it out a second time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have the license and the spell, but when I try to do anything with the spell all I can do is move it around in my inventory. I had assumed that I could use teleport stones from anywhere, but I have to be at a teleport crystal? That's a pain, if I can only do it from such limited locations why does it also take a consumable item?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

kirbysuperstar posted:

You don't cast spells from the party menu, just hit X (or confirm) when you're in the field then select Penelo and cast it from there.

I don't want to cast the spells, I want to learn the spells

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barudak posted:

Any spell you buy you know as soon as you unlock the associated license.

Oh ok.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, you just use spells from the field just like you do when you're in combat.

I'm not sure what the point of teleport stones is, really. They're plentiful enough that they're not a meaningful cost and eventually you can buy them so :shrug:

It seems like this game has some unnecessary complications.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lmao Fran's Darling in the Franxx hoverbike

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What the heck is the deal with First Aid? Every time I try to cast it, it misses.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Harrow posted:

It only works on characters on critical health.

Are you serious.

Balthier's first Gambit, the one they use to teach you how Gambits work, is to use First Aid on any party member with below 70% health. And you're telling me that it makes him use a useless ability on party members who will receive no benefit from it.

This loving game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Harrow posted:

I just checked and you got it a little mixed up. His starting Gambit is "Ally: Any -> First Aid," which will use First Aid on any ally where it'll actually work (they're on critical health). The tutorial shows you changing it to "Ally: <70% HP -> Potion," which uses a Potion on any ally below 70% HP. I think you might've gotten the wires crossed and saw the first step (changing the target) and not the second (changing the action).

First they changed it to Ally: Any -> Potion, and then said that that would just use up all your potions. So I assumed that Ally: Any meant any ally, and if you're set on that for potions it means he'll just throw out potions until you run out. But it actually means any ally that the the action would have a positive effect on? The actual target designated by "Ally: Any" changes based on what action it's attached to?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Speaking of which, I saw the PC version of FFVIII at a used book store the other day. Is that a good port?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The pre-PS1 Final Fantasys get ported to the PS1 in bundles.

There's Final Fantasy Origins, which contains FF and FFII

Final Fantasy Chronicles contains Chrono trigger and FFIV

and Final Fantasy Anthology has FFV and FFVI

Something's off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

YggiDee posted:

On one hand, you're correct. On the other hand, how many folks would actually rather play FFIII over Chrono Trigger?

I want to play all the Final Fantasies, so Chrono Trigger would just be a distraction

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Agents are GO! posted:

Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever made and its Final Fantasy is heavily embedded in its DNA. You should play it.

No.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got a PS3 so after I finish FFXII I can play through all three FFXIII games and read the novels

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What the gently caress, is Balthier wearing open backed shoes?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And now there's an unruly child in thigh high boots. Strange footwear choices in this game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That owns. That is the best outfit I have ever seen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It looks more complicated than it is. overalls, giant beret, tights, elbow guards, gloves, ankle wraps, kitten heels. Then a two belt system to hold the sword and pizza book, and a scarf tied underneath that to keep the pizza book from wearing a hole in his pant leg. Its not that impractical.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

no part of that outfit is anywhere as bad as Thancred's sandals

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FFXII has too many jobs. I don't know what to make Ashe. All the others had jobs that felt reasonably thematically appropriate, but I don't know know what to do with her

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I already made Fran a Black Mage because she's dressed in a black lady wizard type outfit, and Balthier a machinist because he's Han Solo so he should have a gun. Guess I'll do Foebreaker

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Harrow posted:

Ashe makes a great anything. I think Knight fits her really well, personally, as do Black Mage, Red Mage, and Bushi. Or really anything. In the sequel game on DS she's a Time Mage.

Also FYI you will eventually be able to have two jobs per character (and also you can change jobs for free any time at the Clan Hall in Rabanastre).

Oh also a Black Mage tip for you: keep an eye out in shops for the Cherry Staff, Flame Staff, Storm Staff, and Glacial Staff. They boost their corresponding element's damage by 50% (Cherry boosts wind and the others are self-explanatory). Generally they are way more useful weapons for a Black Mage to equip than anything else. Other staves will give you slightly higher attack or magick power, but none of that comes close to straight-up boosting Firaga's damage by 50% by wielding a Flame Staff.

Black Mage is amazingly strong once you get AoE spells, so have fun.

I imagine that they named the Cherry Staff first. The classic image of cherry blossom petals floating in the wind. So the wood the staff is made out of has a connection to the element, great. And then they spent a while trying to figure out what tree is associated with glaciers and just gave up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RillAkBea posted:

On this image alone, 'GBA' is closest and 'Fan' is surprisingly bad to the point that Google is somehow objectively better.

GBA also expresses an emotion. Which is nice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

nrook posted:

If a game was important enough to me, I think I'd be interested in seeing a literal and wordy translation, to get a better idea of the meaning of a specific passage.

I'd have to really love the game, though.

The only way to really get that is with translator's notes that explain specific connotations of words or phrases that simply don't translate into English.

Literal translations are pretty much always inaccurate because most of the time characters don't talk like weirdos. Generally, characters talk like normal people. So a "literal" translation that leaves in weird turns of phrases or has everybody calling each other big brother or big sister or straight translates metaphors or word play that doesn't make sense in English, is a really bad translation because it's depicting the characters completely inaccurately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The White Dragon posted:

i like ffcc so much that i've spent the past fifteen years considering what makes it good and what makes it bad and how to improve it, and then the past five actually doing so

That makes it sound like you don't like FFCC, you like your idea for a video game that shares some elements with FFCC

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwartzcough posted:

So you're saying FFXV: Episode Ardyn is the best Final Fantasy? You could collect and wear like 30 hats.

FFXIV has far more hats than that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doom sucks. Take it out of the game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What the gently caress is oil? Why does this game have so many status effects?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm at the point where you got to the king's tomb to get the thing to prove Ashe is the princess, and I've only gotten like a third of each character's job license board filled in. So I don't imagine I'm gonna enough LP to double jobs on any of them by the time I beat the game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ibblebibble posted:

Eventually you'll max out both, don't worry. If you really want to farm LP you can always go in trial mode, that gives ridic returns.

I've got ten hours of play time on this save file, do later enemies give more LP or is this game super long?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really sucks that changing your character's job doesn't change their outfit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't understand Penelo's wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Am I supposed to do something when I do a Quickening?