Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

i mean changing core character motivations makes sense cause like. its not the same characters lol. its entirely different characters that use those characters names as references. like cid in ff14 has different motivations than ff12 cid they arent the same guy, but for some reason you do that with ramza and its a problem

Like, Ba'Gamnan in XII and Ba'Gamnan in XIV are basically different characters with the same name and aspect, the first is just a bounty hunter who hates Balthier while the second is a Dalmascan soldier tasked with helping XIV!Ashe to escape from the empire 30 years ago but failed and is consumed by his guilt and trying to fix his mistakes with Auracite

Although the funniest part of the whole changes is the fact that Orran gets it on with Alma and given that she was pregnant when they told Delita the truth he took no time after Ramza sealed himself lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Chillgamesh posted:

That said the raids themselves loving rule and Agrias is the coolest boss in the game

Also, Agrias' dialogue in the raid implies AgriasxOvelia is canon in the FFXIV version, which is a point in favor of FFXIV.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Asterite34 posted:

Are we sure "Sin's Toxin" is a real thing and isn't just a euphemism like "Oh he's just tired" or "he's touched by God" or something? Just a thing people in Spira say about drunks or people with ptsd or head trauma or something, and nobody ever clarified that to Tidus?

IIRC you can find NPCs after Sin attacks that are like, babbling incoherently or kinda vegetative, and given how Tidus gets forgiven a lot with "SIN'S TOXIN!" it probably is a real thing.

It would also make sense for Sin to have the power to mess with memories, since he's meant to keep Dream Zanakarnd a secret, making sure nobody can rememeber it exists if they find it by accident would be useful.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

That's the point. A good plot twist is not one that is impossible to predict; it's the one that recontextualizes previous things and makes you think "wow in hindsight the clues where there all along". Admitedly if it's too blatant it loses power, but the deal is if you guessed a not really obvious but full of foreshadowing twist it's not that the twist was obvious, you just made a good prediction.

Intentionally making plot twists come out of nowhere just to subvert expectations is how you end up with things like the later seasons of Game of Thrones.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I think I was even younger? Though my only memories of my first time with FFX was getting stuck in bosses repeatedly, ultimately making my first post on the internet complaining about Yunalesca and not finishing the game until years later. I think I wasn't even 10 years old by then.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cheetah7071 posted:

I always assumed that the really trippy sequence right after the Zanarkand intro before Tidus woke up in the ruins was the actual effect of sin's toxins

I personally think that was just Tidus being inside of Sin, since that's the same room the fight against BFA happens, and Tidus did get swallowed just before.

The scene after the cruseders fail to do anything, conversely is just pyreflies and unsent on top of Sin's back since those are the same buildings, but I'm more willing to pass that as a weird trip.

Edit: That said, Tidus does mention his thoughts were all confused during that scene, so who knows.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also, it was the fayths' plan (or at least Bahamut's) to do the whole "kill us so Yu Yevon has no aeons to hide behind and kill him for good, at the cost of your existance and Dream Zanakarnd'", not Auron's.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

thetoughestbean posted:

Never played a Shin Megami Tensei game huh

Great, now you reminded me about SMT IV Apocalypse's final dungeon. And the entierity of Strange Journey.

Sin's Core at least has a really cool visual design.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, I don't think the whole "spreading too thing" is gonna be an issue since the plot of the expansion will probably involve travelling around the world to help mitigate the whole Final Days thing, and Thanavir has been mentioned as a way of entering into Garlemand. And there's the theory Sharlayan is going to be the Big City because the main plan is gonna be go to the moon and the World Tour will probably involve something with that. This is all theories though, so until we see patch 5.5 we won't know for sure which direction is gonna take.

And on the antagonists Natsuko Ishikawa managed the fandom mostly do a 180º on the general opinion about Ascians so I fully trust her with Zenos and whatever involves Lahabrea, the second one already has some interesting bits and could make for a tragic character if Pandemonium reveals more of his backstory.

The funniest thing about Cleretic's post though is saying Sin is going to appear and being excited about it.... just because they're bringing Anima. Despite FFXIV loving of changing the context of things it pulls from other FF. That looks to me like setting yourself for disappointment.

That said being wary about an Edgelord class and being dissapointed a job you wanted to be in there not being are valid complaints though. Lord knows the fanbase was unsufferable when they announced DRK was gonna be a tank and not a DPS.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

Eugh, that was a typo, my bad. I meant Anima. Anima's gonna be fun to fight. And that's the most positive thing I know about Endwalker.

Oh, real sorry about that then. Anima is 100% gonna be a cool fight at the very minimum.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Alexander is about Goblins and the whole time travel aura pair . Alexander is a tool. No story significance comes from it.

The centerpiece of Omega is Alpha, Nero and Cid.

Omega barely is in it

Technically Alexander and Omega are important to the story as the antagonists. Same with Eden, too.

It is true they're ultimately obstacles/enemies and the character focus goes to others. Same with Eden where the focus is on Gaia and her relationship with Ryne

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

cleretic hates emet-selch so you know they dont have valid opinions on writing

I mean, not liking Emet is a perfectly valid opinion.

Saying that evil Pope and his band of hitmen with no personality were better villains is concerning though.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Draga posted:

I think our only forays into Gelmorra are Tam-Tara, Toto-Rak and Palace of the Dead, right?

There's also mentions of a Gelmorran tunnel called Mun-Tuy used to transport booze of all things that you visited in 1.0 but yeah.

Not sure where is Cleretic taking the "still populated by Duskwight" though, every mention of Gelmorra treats it as a fallen civilization like Amdapor, Duskwight are just the descendants of Gelmorran Elezen who still hide sometimes underground because racism (if there was a secret city you'd be sure Duskwights would run there instead of, you know, being mistreated by Grindanians).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cock hero flux posted:

Where are you slated to go in EW? Garlemald and Thavnair. Two places which are located on different continents and which have very little to do with each other. They have even less to do with each other than Doma and Ala Mhigo did. So it's understandable for people to go "oh, they didn't learn their lesson about Stormblood".

Given the whole someone is trying to end the world by fire and lots of monsters I'm getting the feeling all zones are going to have something in common.

Also it's very likely we go to Thavnair as a way to get into Garlemand: we now the parts just beyond Ala Migho are pretty hosed up in combat while Thavnair is like, an island directly under Ilsabard, and we'll stay on the zone for a bit because problems. Having multiple zones would make sense for a world tour story, which Stormblood was not (you literally go to Doma to level grind so you can fight Zenos in Ala Migho)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except Thavinar is the closest place to invade Garlemald and it was sold explicitly as our foot in the door and the rallying point for our ",Don't let the world end" crew in the keynote. The two zones are already way more connected in terms of narrative than SBs stuff.

That's... what I said, mostly? Granted, I forgot the keynote said that but I was saying Thavnair and Garlemand definitively have a connection, and even if it's less solid a world trip story would make more sense to have multiple, varied locales.

Endorph posted:

I hope in the remake scarlet slaps tifa and tifa does an illegal wrestling move on her

The remake will have a full-blown 2.5D fighting minigame just for them. If you do a grab right at the border Tifa will suplex and throw Scarlet off the cannon and get a dramatic finish.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

And I will say, while the game never expects you to 'think he's right', it does clearly expect you to respect him as a person, and to be happy when you see his influence again. And personally, I can't possibly do that, partly because he's a fucker the likes of which I've had bad experiences with in real life, but also because he holds to his outlook until the end and that outlook prominently includes the words 'genocide is okay'.

If it's the thing I think you're talking about the point of his appearance in the Seat of Sacrifice is that in the end he accepted his defeat and entrustred the future to you. Otherwise why would he ask you to at least remember that they existed after they're all gone, why the hell would he let Hydolatheus give you the Convocation crystals (even if he's a bit more self aware, Hyd is still a creation of Emet.) and why would his shade answer to the crystal's call instead of helping Elidibus.

cock hero flux posted:

it's funny that you can read that one short story that's written from emet's perspective and realize that the reason he chose Garlemald was just because Garleans are all built like brick shithouses and the thing he most misses about Amaurot was how tall everyone was

the closest he ever feels to a mortal is when he has a mortal son who is just inexplicably an absolute loving unit and when he predictably dies from having a thyroid tumor or whatever in his 20s emet is completely crushed, and then when his grandson comes up to him and says "why don't you love me granpapa?" his response is just "because you aren't BIG enough"

The joke is you might be onto something here, given he was also behind the Allagan Empire and they also had a thing for embiggening everything they got their hands on (every Coil boss, every Crystal Tower boss, everything related to Sephirot...)

Also explains why both Allag and the Garlean Empire basically have no Lalafells, duh.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just because someone is sympathetic to a character doesn't mean they think they're right. Emet's story is tragic and I can feel for him but he 100% deserved being beaten and killed, specially for the whole "I'm doing this for my people!!!" when a good chunk of the Ancients literally created a god just to oppose him and the Convocation because they thought genociding not-Ancients was wrong and they should just stop. And the whole "multiple genocides, creating the Allagan and the Garleans which are the source of 90% the world's problems" too, the first is just really hypocrital.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is "intentionally wiping the raid by failing the QTE" really a thing because I have never seen that happen and I've done that fight a million times

Yeah, the only wipes I've seen are from not using Tank LB inmediately after that. Or using it too early because gently caress the animation being so misleading when he's going to damage you.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zenos peaks at the scene after the final trial where he kills himself not because he's mad that he lost or because he wants to take the satisfaction of you doing that, but because he's satisfied, he finally felt something and decided that he wanted that to be his last moment so in a way it's eternal.

Then they decided to revive him so now he's basically doomed to sit on chairs being boring until we get to kick his rear end again, so he's pretty much not gonna be exciting for quite a while.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF2 introduced Chocobos and Cid, though I think both are 100% optional to interact with.

Cid is obligatory to interact with, he's involved with the story at some points and you need his airship to reach Palamecia Castle.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kanfy posted:

The Anniversary Edition for the PSP is a pretty complete package for the "modern style" FF1, it has the Dawn of Souls stuff plus some post-game dungeon content with fights against bosses from FF 3-6 and a new superboss at the end.

Some neat versions of the battle themes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLeYj7_f60

The GBA version has all those bosses too. The big difference is the PSP has better graphics, the original battle themes for all the cameo bosses and a special puzzle dungeon with a new superboss that has less relevance to the game than Ozma in FF9. Still the better version since it's "GBA but more".

And apparently there are like 3 phone versions but they either miss some content or are bug ridden. Mobile gaming, everyone :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My big peeve with the remasters is that it feels like they heard all the complaints about the mobile ports of 5 & 6 and took as a conclusion "people want 16 bit sprites back!". No, people just wanted sprites that didn't look like poo poo. the FF1 and 2 anniversary editions are modern sprites and look great. And FFIV, the only thing it needs is to free the CC from the PSP which smells like a rights issue or lost source code.

I guess we can hope that they'll at least do some things differently, like maybe making FF1 a bit harder than the post-GBA versions. And FF3 is the one I'm actually excited about since there's no version similar to that unlike the others, it's be nice to have a more polished NES version without the clusterfuck design of the 3D remake.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Veib posted:

Just adding autosave to the NES version would make it the definitive version of the game

These fuckers are trying to fool me into playing FF3 for the third time, and they are 100% going to succeed

Funnily the lack of save points was never my biggest gripe with the remake, it's poo poo like "we have less enemies per screen due to 3D so we're gonna beef them up a lot but no check if it's balanced", "random modifiers to turn order so bosses can magically snipe you 4 times", "let's nerf Ninja and Sage to the ground despite being supposed to be ultimate rewards (granted, making using other jobs more attractive was a fine idea, Sage just got nerfed too hard" and of coruse "let's make this job system game punish you for changing jobs by putting a massive grind on job leves AND dunking your stats if you change a job unless you fight 10 battles".

Granted the last one is because 12 year old me got trapped at the Garuda boss with Dragoons who couldn't even finish the random battles so I might have a personal vendetta against the remake.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 14, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

mandatory lesbian posted:

Id really be tempted if the remakes for ff1 did spell slots, but i suppose that boat sailed like...20 years ago

I mean, the pic they showed of the FF1 remaster had no MP on the battle screen...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kale posted:

Wow there's people around that remember Klarth: "Minte has that quiet elegance about her, but I bet Arche fucks like a tiger" from the old 2001 Dejap romhack translation. :staredog:

I still remember that line to this day cause I'm pretty sure until the PSX patch was finished your options were that patch or GBA with the saturated colors and "WHAt the HECK is tHAT!?"

Edit: now that a remember the ship that line is said is where a lot of the WTF line happen, like Arche apparently having sex with Cless in a dream.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 29, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In all honesty FFXIV helped me a lot with social anxiety in online games and a bit in real life. It really helps you can do all story with randos for the multi content and even things like endgame boss trials as long as you use the Party Finder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jihil's most important role is a mid-tier DLC boss in FFXIII-2 and that says everything about her.