Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I've been playing Final Fantasy since the first one was new, and I hold X in pretty high regard. It's nice to look at, the characters are all right, the combat was fun (even though I feel obligated to swap out all the characters in every fight so they all get XP), and it's got a good minigame attached to it. All in all, it's the full Final Fantasy package.

FFXIV hot take: Namazu are better than Moogles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

The VI sprites look different from the ones seen earlier. These ones have both their legs visible during their standing position. It looks better.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I changed the font, and I preemptively named the White Mage "White Wizard". The name is noticeably longer, so it shrinks the font size down a little more than the others. It looks a little weird, but it avoids overflow.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Remember if you pick Monk, don't bother with the nunchucks. You'll wind up doing more damage bare fisted pretty quickly.

They're the best single target DPS, but still a glass cannon. My preferred team is Fighter, Thief, Monk, White Mage. You gotta tough it out with limited AOE until you start getting items that can cover that, but honestly the best black magic spell is Haste, and the Ninja can handle that.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is there a set level when bare-handed out-damages nunchucks? IIRC in IIINES it was a specific level, not sure if they changed it or if that also applies to I

It seems pretty early in the pixel remaster. I was definitely doing better damage barehanded while I was still farming xp/gil for the excursion to the Marsh Cave. I feel like I probably shouldn't have bothered with weapons from the start.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I just rotated weapons evenly, except for fists and eventually bows. They were all at 9 or 10 by the end of the game, and I couldn't really get them higher. Also, when I got to the Cave of Mysidia I decided to drop the shield and go with two weapons, which honestly worked out for me. I was basically avoiding damage by killing enemies before they could hit me. The only things to worry about were enemies who could charm and those gatdag couerls.

I forgot to equip the Blood Sword before fighting the Emperor, but I got a lot of damage out of the Poison Axe, 900 damage at the end of every turn. I'm not sure if Scourge does the same amount. At any rate, he's no Chaos.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I used a Thief for a while in FF3 and I will say that I was doing similar damage as Dark Knights or Dragoons while armed with a pair of Orichalcums(which steal health like the Blood Lances), probably due my job level being higher at the time. It wasn't a terrible experience. But yeah, nothing to steal but Hi-Potions.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

seiferguy posted:

For trash enemies, give mages golem staffs, 3 hits from them will stone enemies and kill them. Makes grinding a hell of a lot easier.

This works on many enemies up to and including World of Darkness. Omnirod has the same effect.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Few FF bosses have more of a signature attack than Cloud of Darkness's Particle Beam. There's Sephiroth's Supernova and such, but CoD just leans on that move and variations of it in all her appearances.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I own FFIV on:
  • SNES
  • PS1
  • GBA
  • DS
  • PSP
  • PC
Will I buy it on PC a second time? yes

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

General reminder for the cheevo hunters: The big places that you can't go back to are the Tower of Zot and the Tower/Giant of Babel. Also take care to make sure you get the Bestiary entries for Calca and Brina, as well as make sure you target Barnabas rather than Dr. Lugae to trigger the Barnabas Z fight. Oh, and probably the General at Kaipo Inn

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

The PR was the third time I played through FFII, and that time was the one where I realized just how bleak the situation is for everyone. I guess with the previous runs I was too focused on figuring out where to go and how to level to pay attention. At the end of the game, there are like four towns left standing, and the Emperor seems even more proactive towards omnicide than Kefka!

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

The way I understand it is that Edge's chance to steal is based on his level and the enemy's level. The formula is something like (Edge's level - emeny's level) * 4%, with a minimum chance of 5% and maximum chance to 95%. So if the enemy is higher level than Edge, you're at a flat 5% chance of stealing (a potion).

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

XV is definitely not the same Gilgamesh. I was actually at a PAX panel previewing the Gladio DLC years back where they explicitly said he's a different one. I'm pretty sure the dimension hopping one started out in V since the whole thing appears to have started when Exdeath banished him in the Interdimensional Rift for failing to kill Bartz all the time and getting all his armor stolen.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Krile’s name always sounds off to me, partly because I cut my teeth with “Cara” on the 90s fan translation, but also her Japanese name is “Kururu”. This could be transliterated a fuckton of ways, but none of which could directly end up as Krile or Cara. Lol

I believe the proper spelling is meant to be "K.Rool"

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I'm really enjoying Actraiser. The tower defense mode they added may be very 2008, but I think it spices up the simulation mode in a pretty organic way. There's more fleshed out story beats and characters too, with good QoL improvements.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

My suspicion is that since there are six games all running on a unified code base, when they're patching an issue that's a core issue, like if they wanted to change the font, they'd have to patch them all, and they don't want to pay Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft six times over for patch distribution fees. I'm confident console ports will be announced a little while after 6PR is out.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

Hope more like Dope
Snow more like Thanks, no
Vanille more like I'd rather hang out in Vana'diel