Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

WaltherFeng posted:

I think Ivalice is the only good FF universe because they had the time and several titles to develop it so I wouldnt mind another main title or a spinoff.

Like all the other ones feel pretty underdeveloped in comparison

I still would really like to see Vana'diel show up in a single player setting, either fast forwarded or rewound a couple of centuries so the world isnt rooted in the MMO conceit of the age of adventurers and you can have a proper plot and set of protagonists

There's some decent lore in 11 but in 2004 you were only ever getting it in pieces spaced weeks apart so it never really set in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Rirse posted:

Man FF2, why do I have to lose Leila, she went from only having 240 HP when I first got her to having 2000 HP. Wish she was the final fourth party member instead of Leon. Her replacement Richard joined at 550 HP...which is not a good trade off.

FF2 is full of great ideas and vibes marred by completely assinine game design decisions

It's my favorite final fantasy that I'll never ever play again

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It's really only 1-3 that have no side quests (and even then 3 does have an optional dungeon). Most of the summon stuff in 4 is optional, and even 13 has hunts once you reach Pulse. The rest generally have a good amount to do that steadily increases with each iteration.

Technically class progression in FF1 is optional though I'd be hard pressed to imagine someone not completing that quest on their first playthrough, even blind

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

XI: Adoulin, solely for the music in Eastern Adoulin.

I was always partial to Norg as a quiet compact area with very little foot traffic, a bunch of cool shady ninja mafioso NPCs, and a collection of farmable NMs right outside

Bastok's INDUSTRY AND PROGRESS! theme will forever bring me back to being 16 years old and logging in for the very first time, though (holy hell that was half my lifetime ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefGrRfDOPY

Taking my first trip through the continent and hearing the bagpipe garbage Sandy starters had to live with was plenty of consolation for being last place in conquest every week

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bastok sucks rear end but it's connected to Gustaberg which has the best track of vanilla XI, so I guess it edges out over San d'Oria and Windurst that way.

Gustaberg is pure misery, even as a Bastok lifer I know Ronfaure is the superior track and area

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

While were on the topic of 11, crossposting this cool thing from the XI thread

Kazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHnLtg7NKA

Welp, I have entirely too much time on my hands.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I think all 3 NES games have excellent overworld themes. 2 captures the desolate, empty and hopeless vibe that game has so well that its arguably the only thing that game does right :v:

I'd give it a toss up between 2 and 4 for my favorite overworld theme (unless we'd count XI zone themes, in which case I'd give it to Ronfaure or Zi'Tah)

Am I the weird one for thinking 7 has a very hit or miss soundtrack? It has some clear standouts that I wouldn't argue with but the large majority of it is a disappointing drop off from how consistently good 4 and 6 are. The sound font that was used actually feels like a step down from the SNES games in a lot of places which is weird for the CD multimedia experience it was considered at the time

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

"Fun" Fact: The guy in charge of the FF3 remake was also the guy who was in charge of FF11 and FF14 1.0.

I wonder if he got pulled off 11 to work on 3, because the treasures of aht urghan expansion was a huge shift in favor of fun and player quality of life and came out the same year as ff3ds

The previous expansion (chains of promathia) was unbelievably difficult bullshit that lines up very nicely with the unbelievably difficult bullshit in 3

It's too bad ff3 didnt just get the same treatment as 1 and 2, I like having the hard as balls NES versions and the more casual GBA versions of those two. 3 just has two versions that are excruciating for different reasons

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Do a remake of ff2 instead

Yes do this

I want to like 2 so much

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think anything is ever going to beat Absolute Virtue.

Did AV ever make the news because it made players throw up and pass out due to fight length because if not I think Pandemonium Warden has him beat

Even my dad, who could give a flying poo poo about video games, mentioned that news to me when it happened

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

AV did have hilarious drama though

like Japanese linkshells siccing clueless GMs on North American players who were fighting it, telling them their claim would be pulled if the paladin didnt put away their earth staff tanking gear and swing a sword

Was AV ever legitimately beaten in 75 cap? I remember when it was finally revealed how you were supposed to legitimately beat him it turned out there was actually too much lag between North America and Japan to actually accomplish it

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I would probably do a fiesta every month or so with those features and some other built in QOL like fast forward

The FF1 randomizer and Free Enterprise have both taught me that I don't want more FF, I want to be able to go from start to finish in about 3 hours. Fiesta gets close that mark but some of the usual speedbumps keep me from feeling like doing it more than once a year

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

You lovely exciting man

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Question:

I recently bought FF7 and 9 on the switch, and have enjoyed the heck out of replaying them, and have got the itch to play some more Final Fantasy, but don't know where to begin.

I've played:

The Super Nintendo Final Fantasies. Enjoyed both of them a lot.

FF3 Remake on the DS. Enjoyed till the end, when my team of all Vikings kept dying. Came back 6 months later, switched everyone to Ninjas, finally won. Enjoyed the job system

All the mainline Playstation FFs. Loved 7, was overall bored 8 though I thought it had some neat ideas, 9 is my favorite in the series.

Played through 10. Had an alright time, but had no desire to replay it or try the sequel.

Skilled out on 11 because I don't like MMOs, tried a bit of 12 but couldn't get into it. I've lost track of the series since then.

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up. I've heard 15 plays similarly to Kingdom Hearts, which I also enjoyed.

Highly recommend 5 if you like job systems and super Nintendo FF, there's lots of weird multiclassing stuff to play around with and tons of replay value.

11 is a much different game than it used to be and you could reasonably play it as a single player game since you get NPC party members to help you out these days. Doing the basic storyline from the original game probably wouldn't take long and the game has an interesting job system in its own right- I'd wager it might actually feel like a single player game but if you didn't dig 12 it's probably not your speed

1 is a short playthrough if you go gba/psp version and gives you a basic job system to play around in. It's cool to see how the series started but the gba/PSP version smoothes out a lot of things most players wouldn't care for in the NES version

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Something I like about FF1 is the story/characters are so thin it doesn't feel weird renaming them after friends. :v:

I would really dig a return to this style in a side series (maybe there is one and I just don't pay attention?) since I haven't found any of the FF stories or characters terribly appealing in probably 20 years

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I give the NES version a pass because they were still feeling things out, but FF3DS feels like it's missing a major mechanic in the player's favor to make it a complete game. Some multiclassing concepts lifted from 5 or 11 would have gone a long way towards scaling up the party's stats and versatility to match how much the difficulty was scaled up from the original. The job-switch weakness, zero defense on run, and the potential to be one-shotted by encounters at full health before getting to even act all should've been fixed too.

I had some similar problems with FF4DS's difficulty curve, but the developers there at least threw in the augment system to scale up player strength in comparison to the scaled up difficulty

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Like, myself. If I took the general fandom opinion as the gospel truth, I'd still be regularly throwing myself at VI, when I honestly just do not like it at all.

Hey it's the one other guy who doesn't like FF6, what's up bud

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

That's always been my issue with it too. It's so iconic, has great ideas, and I think the cast of characters is great- the game just takes too much time to get up to speed for me. When I want to play a later era SNES Square RPG I'd much rather jump onto Chrono Trigger.

However my favorites are the NES trilogy, 11, and if it counts, the SFC version of Romancing SaGa 1 so I would admit I'm 100% guilty of wrong-think and broke-brain

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

one of your party members is basically the black guy from lethal weapon. he has an afro and a small chicken lives in it, and his equivalent of a limit break is doing donuts on the enemies in a car made of fire.

Why haven't I played this game

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Final Fantasies with their serial numbers filed off.

I'm curious what other games would people throw on the pile for giving off this sort of vibe, particularly in the NES and SNES era. Romancing saga and chrono trigger are my big ones personally- coming across RS a few years back and realizing there was this whole other game with the look and feel of FF4/5 was kind of mindblowing to me. I'm sure there's probably a good chunk of other Japan only releases I'm oblivious to that would scratch the same itch

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

That's every Final Fantasy.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Squall is right to try and isolate himself from these morons.

As a kid I found squall to be abrasive and unlikable

As an adult who has to deal with idiot coworkers 50 hours a week, the more I read about ff8 the more I think squall might be the most relatable ff character in the series

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

FFXI Cid has frightening teeth

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I know that'd be a big pain but it almost sounds neat

It was and it was

The difficulty of travel definitely made ffxi's world feel much bigger than it truly was and made getting chocobo/airship access very rewarding

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

Some weirdo out there is like "the movie?"

I'm actually fuckin' pumped for FF1/FF2. They're not good games I don't think, but it'll be a good time somehow?

FF1 I think is legitimately good but flawed
FF2 is a garbage game that I have all sorts of weird love for. The last time I played through FF2 NES was about 6 years ago and it still feels too soon to do it again

I'm pretty excited for 1, 2, and 3 because 1 and 2 haven't really gotten faithful ports since the PS1, and 3 has never gotten a good port. Newer ports of 1 and 2 make the games trivially easy and the DS remake of 3 made the game harder and more player unfriendly, somehow. I hope they strike a good middle ground between having the game systems stay faithful to the originals while easing up a little bit on the Nintendo Hard difficulty.

My big hope is that modders will be able to dig into the steam versions and create all sorts of neat gameplay variants. the ff1 randomizer in particular is a blast to play if you're familiar with the game's systems, and that's with the developers working through the limited capabilities of the NES version.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

I played and finished 2, 3, and 13 for the first time before the pandemic, and I was baffled by 2. However, much like Castlevania 2 I can appreciate what they were trying to do. It was unique and had inspired ideas behind. They didn't stick the landing, but I can totally appreciate the attempt. I don't hate the game at all; by the end it was just bemusement at what I had gone through. The "Jobs-Static Characters/Unique Systems" sequence of FF1-6 is full of wonder and jank, and 2 just adds to that.

If the "re-balance" tightens it up and removes the confusing grindy-ness, i'd give it another shot

I think what 2 accomplishes that makes me have a weird appreciation for it is how well it gives off a vibe of general despair through its plot, music, and setting on such limited hardware. The overworld tune constantly evokes a feeling of loss. The world and towns are offputtingly sparsely populated. Half the people you meet die a horrible death. The game opens with a combat that you will lose miserably, giving you just long enough to name and see that Leon is a party member, only for him to be missing, assumed dead 2 minutes later, then turn out to be Darth Vader

The gameplay informs this feeling quite well too. Some towns have encounters, letting you know that even towns aren't safe havens. You can just sorta walk into incredibly nasty encounter tables early in the game by accident, pretty close to town range, so you never quite feel safe on the overworld. No matter how hard you train, you're still always a minute away from getting absolutely wrecked in any random encounter if you're not careful. I think the funniest bit is how much of the plot is dedicated to learning Ultima, but programming bugs make it one of the shittier spells in the game, accidentally adding to the feeling of hopelessness.

1 and 3 have a vibe of grand adventure, finding shiny swords, and slaying dragons. By comparison, the world of 2 is out to kill you, and when it isn't, it wants to make you feel sad. It's not mind blowing by any means, but I don't really know of any other NES RPGs that reach for that sort of presentation

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I really hope someday they will bring back this Vancian-inspired system. If not in FF than some other JRPG. It's such a cool magic system and way more interesting than MP.

The only JRRPGS I've played with anything like it are FF3 of course but also Chrono Cross which sort of expanded and innovated the idea.

Yeah I really disliked that every port of ff1 after the ps1 has done away with spell slots, it really takes away a lot of the game's identity. It's not a perfect system but I like that most spells don't necessarily become obsolete as a result of learning higher tiers, or at least it would work that way if intelligence actually worked and FIR2/ICE2/LIT2/HRM2/HEAL didn't have 100% efficacy when cast from items. I hope intelligence correctly scales up the black mage's damage, it'll be cool if a high level black wizard can use tier 1 elemental spells against the correct weakness and contribute useful single target damage in random encounters

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

MP, if you want to get weird, is just Vancian spell casting with conversion rates.

Not really? It's a bit more nuanced than that. Three casts of FAST makes you pick and choose when to cast it when you only get three of them and that's that, instead of being able to forego casting NUKE once in order to get another 10 casts of FAST like you might in say, FF4. It also makes you have to consider if casting ICE2, your strongest AOE at that level, is worth losing out on a cast of FAST.

Another example for high level white wizards, if one of your party members gets petrified, you might have to decide between finishing the dungeon without him so you can cast INV2 for the boss, casting EXIT to leave, or casting SOFT but not being able to leave using EXIT if you need to.

There's not really any other FF that forces you to prioritize your spellcasting in the same way that 1 and 3 do solely because of the lack of an MP system. In my opinion the big flaw with FF1's spellcasting isn't the vancian charges, it's that most spells aren't strong enough relative to how much you have to ration them, and I think thats solely because intelligence is broken as a stat

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not balanced in any way considering how useless BLM and THF are

I hope they fix the run bug and the intelligence bug. Considering no one is even sure what intelligence was even supposed to do in the NES game, it could go a long way towards making BLMs more useful

Thief would probably require more help than fixing the run bug though, as it stands even if they were the best runners they're still worse than a red mage in every other way. It always seemed like thief and fighter's hit rate progressions should be swapped. Fighter would still be dominant defensively and could still put up good damage numbers, and thief could at least have a niche of getting the most armed attacks and open themselves up as end game crit machines with vorpal or katana

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Action George posted:

BLM isn’t going to be useful in FF1 with spell charges unless they up the number of charges you get. Every spell could be an auto kill, but if you spend half or more of the battles not casting because you’ll run out of spells in a game where the main difficulty comes from attrition through the dungeon then that’s a waste of a character.

I think an interesting fix for this would be to make it so only characters that can equip an enchanted item can invoke the spell from it, and then maybe tweak some stuff like bane sword and Thor hammer to keep them away from fighter. I think that'd give BLMs access to unlimited FIR2, ICE2, and CONF so they can sustainably do AOE damage and control in a way that (most) other classes can't

What's interesting about that is ninja gets access to some weird weapons like heal staff and mage staff, so they'd end up being able to use a wider range of enchanted items than any other class. The fact that they can equip those things makes me wonder if that limitation mightve been in the original design and it just got lost during development

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

That arrangement slaps. They really went all out in making it still feel like the NES arrangement without it being overly chip-tuney

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Tonfa posted:

mainline ff final fights ranking

Excellent (elevates the game experience)
---
Ultimecia
Exdeath

Great (satisfying conclusion)
---
Sephiroth
BFA
Kefka

Good (fitting end)
---
CHAOS
Emperor

Whatever (super medium)
---
Necron
Zeromus
Ardyn
Undying

Garbage (bad fights)
---
Cloud of Darkness
Orphan

Thank christ that's over I can finally go to bed
---
Shadow Lord, circa 2003

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thank You Nasir

I choose to believe that Nasir will occasionally wake up in a cold sweat at 3 AM thinking about LOK2

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I'm usually the first person to defend the snes sound chip but, what

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Definitely some immediately noticeable rebalances here. Magic and equipment cost is much less expensive so you can afford to get everyone loaded up regardless of party comp. Thief comes out of the gate hitting twice with a rapier so he's immediately far more useful than the original version of the game

Attacks also auto-target after a monster dies, which is nice QOL but I was sort of hoping they'd leave that out since it is another part of the strategy of ff1 that the other games don't have

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 28, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Enemy morale values also seem really low? I don't remember if imps and gr.imps would run from you at level 1 in the original but I bet there's some fun to be had with FEAR this time around

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Also for whoever was asking about red mage balance, either my rdm is rolling really bad on HP gains or they're sticking to the GBA versions approach of balancing them by giving them dogshit hp. Probably going to struggle as a front liner

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Harrow posted:

Can anyone think of an FF party member (from any mainline FF) who could reasonably be classified as a Red Mage?

I feel like naming my FF1 party after other FF characters and so far I've got Cecil (Warrior), Locke (Thief), and Garnet (White Mage). But I can't think of anyone who'd really count as a Red Mage.

Stretching a bit outside of mainline, but FF dimensions gave us Elgo, FF2's bonus content sets up Scott as being a Red Mage type, and FF11 has Rainemard as a somewhat plot important Red Mage. It's always been a little bit of a bummer that the mainline series never really has any notable main character "identifying" as a red mage though- so many plot lines revolve around characters identifying as and what it means to be a dark knight, a paladin, a dragoon, a white/black mage, a thieftreasure hunter, etc. It feels like a part of the early series lore that hasn't been explored much. The little we've gotten from 11 and dimensions generally casts them as prophets, duelists, cocky gung-ho adventurers, or royal guardsmen (I haven't played 14 so not sure what their deal is there but it sounds like they got some neat lore in that world)

I sort of wonder if the original plan for Baigan in 4 was to have him actually join and be classified as a red mage based on his Amano design

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

Elgo’s great because he splits into two halves, one is the main villain and the other is Tuxedo Mask

It's been so long since I've played FFD that I forgot about that plot point but that was a neat way to play off the dual nature of red mages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Dubious posted:

This is Alisaile erasure, the best red mage (she's in 14 which you haven't played)

I really need to find the path of least resistance to get through stormblood so I can check out the red mage content, I was way too invested in being a RDM in the old FFXI days to not try XIV's interpretation eventually. I did play realm reborn and have a character around... 50, I think, with the main quest line completed, but I haven't touched any expansion content