Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Steiner and Vivi are the broest of bros and the best thing about any FF ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

In AC everyone either has a new personality or doesn't have enough screentime to show off any real personality.

AC was super fun for the time, but had the larger problem of the FF7 Extended Universe in that it forgot everything that made the original so memorable.

It was basically high budget fan fiction.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-f...ons-and-enemies

Crossdressing and dialogue options confirmed.

E: not going to be tremendously surprised if I see “actually, it’s about ethics in gaming titty” or some variant thereof bandied about elsewhere in the next couple of days

"The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…"

I take it this means no more Hot Tub full of muscle men.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Rufus but it's Rufus the naked mole rat

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Leal posted:

Remember how Hollywood was just remaking every movie from the 80s? Well guess whats coming to the games industry?

They could do a big budget Reboot of ET and do both industries at the same time

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I better still be able to go on a Gold Saucer date with Barrett in the remake

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Question:

I recently bought FF7 and 9 on the switch, and have enjoyed the heck out of replaying them, and have got the itch to play some more Final Fantasy, but don't know where to begin.

I've played:

The Super Nintendo Final Fantasies. Enjoyed both of them a lot.

FF3 Remake on the DS. Enjoyed till the end, when my team of all Vikings kept dying. Came back 6 months later, switched everyone to Ninjas, finally won. Enjoyed the job system

All the mainline Playstation FFs. Loved 7, was overall bored 8 though I thought it had some neat ideas, 9 is my favorite in the series.

Played through 10. Had an alright time, but had no desire to replay it or try the sequel.

Skilled out on 11 because I don't like MMOs, tried a bit of 12 but couldn't get into it. I've lost track of the series since then.

Based on that, any Goons got any recommendations one any FF (or FF like, I really enjoyed Octopath Traveller for example) to pick up. I've heard 15 plays similarly to Kingdom Hearts, which I also enjoyed.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

For Enemy Skill materia, do the skills remain attached to the Materia itself, and I can hand off to another character? I assume there's no funky business like unequipping the materia will cause you to lose the skills and have to relearn them?

Is there anything to know about ranking up materia? I assume you just get AP from battling like XP as I've observed, but some people mentioned limit breaks unlock/improve based on usage & kills, so I'm not sure if magic usage impacts AP gains.

Once you've earned the skill it's there forever. You can load it up with things like Flamethrower and Mighty Guard and slap it on anyone you please

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Since you mentioned having played "both" of the SNES Final Fantasies, it sounds like you haven't played 5? if you liked 4 and 6 and you liked 3's job system, you'll like 5.

Good deal, Wikipedia tells me there's a 3DS port of it on the Virtual Console. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

Tactics is very good and if you were a fan of the job system in 3/5 it has a similar one. 15 plays "similarly to Kingdom Hearts" yes, but it's more along the lines of "what if the kingdom hearts battle system was really bad and the camera liked to go off on its own adventures through the world geometry". I wouldn't really recommend it.

13 is bad but can be a very fun kind of bad if you're a particular kind of person. The battle systems are good in all of them. There's no exploration and the game is a series of hallways with battles and cutscenes in them. The story basically boils down to whether you're the kind of person who can enjoy a story that makes no sense and is really loving dumb in a way that is kind of unique.

also, you can always go back and play FF1. It's still fun and the rereleases all adopt systems from the later FFs that make it less weird(although it's also fun to go check out the first version which had a DnD style magic system).

This is all great info, I think I'll look into 5 and 1. thanks everyone!

Booourns posted:

If you never want to die in battle in FF7 you can just put everyone in the back row and give them the sadness status effect

Or if you want to be a true warrior give everyone fury and put them in the front row so every other attack either kills you or gives you a limit break

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 25, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Then why not call her Terra?

A Terra already needlessly complicated one big Square franchise with Cloud in it, we don’t want to tempt fate twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Sephiroth, kind of like Cloud before him, remains popular because up until that point, a lot of kids and teens in the US hadn't really played anything that had characters like them.

It seems like mudding the waters now because there's so many pretty anime boys with giant swords these days, but it was FFVII that invented a lot of those tropes, or at least brought them into mainstream consciousness.

Though a lot of Cloud imitators seemed to fail to grasp what truly made Cloud special and interesting, including Square themselves in later years.