Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm just gonna come out and say it, my dudes

I like Final Fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Mystic Quest is SSS tier, who gives a poo poo about the rest

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

scrub

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

I do not relish the resurgence of FF7 Discourse

It's spelled Discourthe

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

jizzy sillage posted:

I played Vagrant Story as a kid and loved it, the combat and depth to the item/equipment system really captured my heart, and I was too young to understand anything that was going on. I refuse to go back and play it again now because I don't want to damage the beautiful flower that is my rose tinted memories of the game.

Vagrant Story is still real fuckin awesome and absolutely holds up; all they would really need to do for, say, a mobile release is add a quick weapon swap and I would be all over that poo poo

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The bad ones are in the games that start the song over after a random battle

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nibble posted:

Some of those VP spell quotes are forever burned into my memory. "Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence: thou shalt have it."

I never played any of the VP sequels though. Covenant looks pretty neat but I wish it was on a more convenient platform.

VP2 is a bonkers ride where chapter 3 lulls you into a false sense of blandness and poor pacing, but then chapter 4 through the end of the game is a rollercoaster that never slows down and takes you straight to hell

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Leal posted:

Is it just me or is the fat chocobo kinda tasteless....

well yeah if you don't season it

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mega64 posted:

Pants are a privilege.

Pants are a mission

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Just... leaving Arvis's house at the beginning without talking to him and exploring Narche openly is :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

This is a weird thing to get hung up on I know, but this isn't the same version of the battle theme that's been playing in the trailers and it bothers me when it really shouldn't.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

Does Searching For Friends play all the time in the World of Ruin?

I could swear it was only the airship theme.... Either I'm remembering wrong or maybe BNW changed it.

Once you acquire the airship in the World of Ruin, yes, Searching For Friends becomes the overworld theme.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mega64 posted:

And don’t get me started about how Iscar Matthias is intertwined in the events of Mystic Quest.

On the contrary, please, continue. :allears:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only good thing FFIV: The After Years does is cement Palom as Best Boy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

This is some good Gologle poo poo

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
13-2 has energy. 13 is just dour and dreary.

Also Noel keeps trying to be a mega sourpuss, but Serah is so infectiously bubbly and upbeat that he just can't get away with it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Force Your Way is probably one of the best boss tracks in the series. I think the only regular battle theme that doesn't grate on me is 7's, but I'm having trouble remembering some of them.

Dissidia (not NT) has provided some of the best remixes of old FF tracks, and Force Your Way slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OILUu8dkw_s

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
XIII ends with a literal deus ex machina so bad that the story in Lightning Returns is "universe hosed, gonna make a new one"

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

AngryRobotsInc posted:

How does Xenoblade Chronicles 2 stack up to the first one? I owned it but had to sell it for quick cash before I ever got a chance to play it, and I'm waffling on if I want to bother getting it again. I did like the first one, and X was....eh.

I thought XC2 was bad; engaging with the unnecessarily complicated battle system in full is unrewarding, the story is stupid and the worst character in the whole game is the protagonist. There's also an obnoxious gacha system in the game that serves no purpose other than to just waste your time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
In the DS/PC version, Edge's preeminent strength is Throw, and you're basically intended to stop selling weapons once Edge joins the party. His attack damage is always going to be far behind Cecil and Kain, whereas in the PSP version he can largely keep up in damage output. His Speed growth is also insanely fast in any version of the game, making him good for using items.

And although no one cares, in The After Years, Edge is one of the strongest characters in all respects except below average HP, which is made up for with his absurd Evade stat.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Spoken like a true buckethead

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gologle posted:

Now that Heavensward is free for anyone to play, I'm thinking back on it, and I think, I could be wrong, but I think it's canon that the WoL solo'd the Knights of the Round and Thordan.

Generally speaking, the story acts as if you did most of this poo poo solo, and a lot of the references to "your fellow adventures" like in Stormblood were added to the English localization and are absent in the Japanese text. Basically, anything that isn't 24-man it's pretty safe to conclude that the story treats it as you conquering it alone.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I don't remember if this was ever clarified, but does Crystal Chronicles Remastered have local multi or not? I'm interested in getting it to play with my roommate but not if she has to buy a copy, too.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Welp, gently caress that then. All of that makes CC a real hard pass.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cleretic posted:

FFIV is literally the only exception to S-E's rule of 'we only re-release the newest version of a Final Fantasy game unless Nintendo tells us otherwise'. It's a little weird, and I have to imagine there was some internal politics about the PSP version overall, because... well, from their perspective there's no reason it should've been made in the first place, they already HAD a perfectly good remake of IV at the time. And when it actually was made there was no reason for them to stick to the 3D version, since the PSP version had more content and was already completely compatible with The After Years, which they went on to decide was an essential companion to the original.

...in retrospect, the two competing FFIV remakes is probably the weirdest part of Final Fantasy's history to me.

IV was, during that stretch of years, number one with a bullet the most popular Final Fantasy in Japan.

It's also a linear story with little variance, which makes it relatively straightforward to remaster and remake simply.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
BNW in 2020 is way, way better than when it was first introduced to SA back in oh god I'm so old oh no my skeleton has dissolved into dust

A lot of the difficulty spikes have been smoothed out Atma Weapon is nowhere near the obstacle he was before though he is still an appreciably hard boss, and in general the hack is designed around you not needing to grind if you want to just get through the story.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'll say in fairness that I haven't played through to the Floating Continent since like 1.7 maybe so he may be easier than I remember

Yeah, 2.0 was released beginning of 2020 and is a significant revision in both content and quality. There is an actual hard type hack of BNW that a fan did in response to 2.0 being made "easier."

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
BNW 2.0 comes with a secondary patch called Vanilla New World that undoes pretty much all of the script changes (except actual translation fixes, IIRC).

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
the best final fantasy is mystic quest everything else is a distant second and I will never change my opinion

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

exquisite tea posted:

The difference is that Tidus' journey is central to the narrative and themes of FFX and consistently moves the story along whereas whenever Hope appears onscreen you know jack poo poo is going to happen for the next 3 hours.

Hope: *stares at knife* "Should I stab him?"

Lightning: "I'm not going to tell you to not stab him."

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Calms get shorter in length with each successive one; the first Calm lasted 500 years, Braska's Calm lasted less than a year.

Yuna's standard Calm likely would have been less than half-a-year.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV has some of the best inter-party dynamics in the entire series, one of the best villains, and a plot that might be shot completely full of holes but at least contains a solid ending

it was a messy disaster of a video game that still turned out far better than it should have

FFXV occupies the same space as Dragon's Dogma; a piece of work that exemplifies the phrase "greater than the sum of its parts."

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
FF4 is an easy game to get into. It's very linear, there's no grinding necessary (except maybe when you first get Rydia) to blast through the story, the music rules, the gameplay's fun, the characters are good. For me, at least, when I want to play an RPG that asks for little beyond basic cognitive function, FF4 is my go-to.

It's comfy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

DeadButDelicious posted:

On a different note, I put some time into FFIV DS after putting down FF4 GBA because the turn skipping bug annoyed me to no end. I appreciate that he rebalancing meant I had to take the Magus Sisters and their mechanics seriously but having to sit through about 5-10 minutes of cutscenes afterwards with no save before Barbariccia was cruel.

Also, wow that's a tough fight huh? I went in with everyone in the early 30s except Cecil at 35 and Rosa at 28 and after multiple times my great strategy was to poison her with Yang's weapon and then just turtle up. Can't counter me if I don't hit you, windy wench. No bosses gave me trouble up until Tower of Zot but is this a noteworthy difficulty bump in FF4 DS or the start of where it gets hard?

No, FFIVDS's difficulty curve is less a curve and more individual spikes per encounter. Except maybe the moon, where everything is consistently more difficult, though that could just be because you fight behemoths so consistently.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

multijoe posted:

It is really dopey that Sephiroth is in such a state of WHAT?! IMPOSSIBLE!! that he forgets he could just let go of his sword at any time and not get thrown to his death. I love the scene in the original game but making it work in photorealistic HD will be the animation team's greatest challenge

I don't know, Sephiroth's not exactly in anything even remotely resembling a stable frame of mind, and here comes this unknown idiot grunt taking his sword to the gut and not immediately ceasing movement.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mega64 posted:

The big problem with FF9’s stealing is you can’t steal people’s clothes and immediately put them on and watch your opponent get embarrassed in their underwear.

They're a bit too large, but he didn't charge!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'd say pretty much all of the new characters in TAY are good, with the exception of Ceodore and the four ninjas that are all one fourth of Edge's ability set and usefulness

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

thetoughestbean posted:

Is there permadeath?

Doesn't seem like it, at least not in the demo; any characters of yours defeated in battle are just available for use in the next with no fanfare.

I quite like this! Octopath never quite clicked for me, but this scratching my FFT itch something fierce.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
im MAD

MAD about CHAOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I bring this up every single time FFTA discourse begins again, but FFTA Ivalice is inherently unstable, as it is at any moment subject to Mewt's whims. He rewrites the world at least twice that we see: once to create Llednar "I'm you but cooler" Twem, and again to create his dead mother as queen of Ivalice.

Marche only learns of this after destroying like three of the four crystals anchoring the world, granted, but I would not want to live in a world where Mewt has any level of control whatsoever.