Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thread title should have used "Final Fantasy Megathread 3 (US)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elephant Ambush posted:

The worst part of him is that he's a genuine True Believer. He honestly believes that the gods chose him to be better than everyone else and he wishes he were in an even higher station because it would mean higher divine favor and more people to look down on. If he were in House Beoulve he would be exactly like Ramza's brothers if not somehow worse.
More like he is over-compensating because he was nobility and is trying to reclaim his family honor, by any means necessary.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sponges posted:

The Thief is so awful in 1 but I don’t want to restart
I feel sorry for the black mage. Having enough magic for one strong encounter or a few of the dozens of encounters you face on your way to the boss, without a way to recover magic. The PS port saved him from being such a bench-warmer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elephant Ambush posted:

This prison is confusing trash. I went all the way downstairs with Zell checking the doors to see if any would open and none of them did. I looked up a guide and apparently there's a ton of stuff I can get but all the floors look the same and none of the doors open. WTF am I doing wrong?
I don't know if the strategy guide says so, but Zell makes some parts of the game harder on you by being in your party.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Be Depressive posted:

I’m struggling to finish Crisis Core FFVII and I just can’t get over all these motherfuckers flying around with one wing. Was that in the original FFVII?

It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen and completely ruins any scene one of these characters appears in because it’s impossible to look at them without chuckling.
I think the lumbering two-headed thing in the Shinra Mansion is just about the closest related creature, but Crisis Core came out with that kind of enemy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ah, ok, thank you! I couldn't figure out why half the time they were totally docile and then the other half they'd rush me from offscreen to dump a firaga on my entire party, but that makes sense. Still a bit annoying since I'm usually paying attention to what I'm trying to fight and not checking to see if there's an elemental nearby, but I guess I should work on that.
I laughed when my party was finally able to fight elementals on their terms and a zone had something like greater elementals who kicked my poo poo in.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sponges posted:

About to start FF2 for the first time and I understand it’s kinda bad?
Shields increase agility, the godly defense stat. Shields also add very little added protection for a long time. You would be better off going barehanded and hitting for thousands, until the last quarter of the game kicks your teeth in for ignoring the wonders of evasion and magic block. Good enough to get remakes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every Disgaea game may even reward you with an ending for failing a couple certain fights. Going to the Item World in any game is going to eventually put you up against impossible battles that make you Gency out. I lost to a treasure chest I couldn't open before enemies slammed my group.

The newer Wild Arms games gave you the option to restart battles in exchange for an item or something else.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 8, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Time Kompression.

Mega64 posted:

Yes. It's not like you'll ever play it again.
I played it the wrong way, the right way, and the devs way on the PS.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Considering the kinds of monsters you encounter, there are likely monsters that physically vomit oil, exude electricity, or use a Bomb as part of an internal combustion engine that lasts forever. Nature always provides.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are low income housing units for a reason.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

jokes posted:

In FF6 I would say so?
The Man Eater weapon would prove it. I doubt Mog is considered a humanoid though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CottonWolf posted:

Actually, Barret.

(Cloud x Tifa is the best ship.)
Cloud x Yuffie is adorable. Probably the only good thing in her life since the time Shinra invaded her homeland and killed her friends and mother* and turned her country into a resort. Forever disgracing her legendary monster dad in the process.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They both lost friends, so that is probably why. Cloud is still pretending to be Zack, so maybe something was lost in translation.

The date at the Saucer. She initiated it. It's a Japanese game, I don't know how they behave around age differences.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 15, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe Necron was an agent of Creator, sent to destroy that world.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Oxyclean posted:

I'm playing FF7 for the first time on Switch, and while I know tidbits about the game from cultural osmosis, is there anything to know, like major missables (I understand there's optional characters,) or any noob trap stuff?
For the trap stuff, the number of enemies you defeat by that person and the number of Limit Breaks they use, are how they get more Limits. You may think that the latest Limit is the greatest, but it takes much longer to use it without manipulating its growth and that takes a lot of time compared to sticking to the Level 1 you shoot off every couple of battles.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The motorcycle section will be done as a card game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can abuse the quick dig bonus on the digging site where half the place is available.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DrNutt posted:

He may be the worst dad in the series.
Is Dyne the only dad who wants to kill his only child?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Judging by how his mom treats him, I consider him an absent dad when he found out about Cloud. No real reason why.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DrNutt posted:

Thinking back on it, it's kinda weird that getting Maduin as magicite isn't a bigger deal in FF6, also that anyone can use it, and it's just the lesser version of Tritoch. Probably should have been a unique set of spells only usable by Terra or something, that would have been neat.

Also god drat there are some bad dads in Final Fantasy, and that resonates with me strongly.
I guess there are more existing parents in the franchise than in most other franchises, so that there are lots of notable bad dads. Fire Emblem may be the only one where parents don't magically disappear because another child soldier takes the field.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

OhFunny posted:

I the only mod I need for FFVIIR is Barret No Sunglasses Mod.
Giant marshmallow.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
His feet will get wet when it rains.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MagusofStars posted:

The really interesting thing here is that many bosses in the FF series actually are vulnerable to status effects.

It's just that you can't tell unless you either repeatedly waste turns trying out a bunch of different status spells or have the guide/FAQ open as you play. And let's not kid ourselves here: In most FFs, the storyline bosses just aren't worth it; with rare exceptions, you can usually just :effort: your way through with raw damage and healing.
There are also situations where up has now become down. Is it a change in equipment or did an encounter mess you up?

*Enemy casts weirdly named spell*
*Casts healing spell on ally* Miss/No effect
Wait a minute...it worked every single time before?

Next battle
*Casts healing spell on ally* Miss/No effect
How?
Interceptor also never appears in any more encounters.

Information on why that is happening is not mentioned in the game or manual.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got more game overs from the mini-game bosses (red dragon, galbadia rocketeer) than actual bosses. I am not sure the options even work.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess I needed to fight more enemies to keep my pay raises, but the game really hates me taking top mark and always docks me the 10000.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

no. getting paid just lowers your rank, full stop
The game gives you 30000 at Rank A, but it always ranked me down first and then a minute later paid me 20000 for Rank 30. Fuckers. I never got my 30000.
Talking to people can lower your rank, it seems.

Mega64 posted:

Or Laguna turning into a 100 Heroes because he's a hundred times the hero most FF protags are (eat your heart out, Snow).
Few live long enough to become a dad.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 12, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You beat the bot and it is wriggling to recover, only to be fully operational after doing enough damage to it. Did it miss a step between wrecked and healed? Now you have to run from it anyway.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Clarste posted:

Apparently this isn't a meme in Japan and if you mentioned that to the developers at Square Enix they'd just be confused.
Just tell them Americans want a game where they can suplex increasingly large enemies.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Blank is basically Frankenstein's Monster with more parts sewn together.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean have any other games depicted bloody chocobo corpses before, in other games it would be some abstracted turn into a feather type animation, even in FFX when all those chocobos died in Operation Mi'hen they didn't show it
I think the Type-0 LP confused one of the speakers into thinking a pile of bloody feathers was a red chocobo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vikar Jerome posted:

so is ps1 final fantasy 2 really that bad, i have it on disc as part of the origins collection and i've only ever done the intro on nes and this version and i've already beat ff1 in origins but i hear how terrible the levelling up is, is it doable or is all the complaining i've heard over the years just from people who dont wanna engage with it? should i just bite the bullet and emulate the psp version, which i hear is MP based with proper levelling now?
It is still good. Far better than that lovely CT port they had. All you need to know is the shield increases agility. Wear shields to train evasion as well. Not having agility is a hilarious way to find out how much damage late game enemies can really do to slow characters.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vikar Jerome posted:

anyway, still playing ff2. whats the best way to grind to break the game again that someone mentioned? im still pretty early. i tried downloading an early game save with a bunch of high level weapons and spells but it got corrupted since i had to change the region file to make it work on ps3 with my pal discs and i guess this poo poo isnt as easy it is with wii games. :shrug:
You can use any weapon and a shield so long as you stick with that weapon type. Level 16 is the cap. Shields increase agility after battle when you attack. To build up your evasion and magic defenses, you need that shield and let large groups of enemies wail on your team for a bit. Go for a few rounds to see who got hit and if they increased those defensive stats. The more times you got hit by an enemy, the better the chance of getting more evasion or magic block if magic hits you. When you learn Swap, you can fight some weak enemy and trade stats with them. It builds HP and MP quickly so long as you are mostly drained from your maximum. Keep using Inns to fully recover your MP or Swap with your weakened team mates. Upgrading your shield might make grinding harder since you are better able to dodge.

You don't really have a good way to grind weapons or magic until you meet the Rank 5 Captain enemies at the earliest, because enemy Rank matters heavily in grinding. They are in an occupied town, so progress however you want. Getting a few hundred HP by then would be great since Rank 5 hits hard when you meet them. Rank acts as a multiplier and a sort of arbitrary maximum for stats. The stronger the enemy, the better growth you can get. The bestiary will tell you the Ranks of each enemy. You can try the Rank 3 enemies to get some stats until it stops. I assume you know the attack+cancel method and don't bother grinding the fourth character at all. You will get several of them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Frog Act posted:

Word, thanks dudes, I assume that it will be relevant to the weird berries I picked that will supposedly call Garuda or something

Ed: Ten seconds after I made this post I was attacked by Garuda
Expect some areas to be impassible until you progress the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Paperhouse posted:

Xenogears' story is great, it makes sense and is complete and detailed. It's totally different to FF8's nonsense. The problem was that they ran out of either time or money (or both) and much of the end of the game is text rather than game.

Honestly, I was fine with it and don't remember it being a problem at all. Haven't played the game in a long time though
They spent too much time making the game during a time where games got like a year to develop or get trashed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I always had trouble with the Chocobo rush in mission 2 or 3. Step right up to the chain-spam healing encounter, WARK!

zenguitarman posted:

A lot of lessons learned the hard way in that game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
As Sephiroth is dead, then do all the Jenova creatures die off since they would be braindead?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

Random Thought:
Ever notice how in a lot of RPG stories "thousands of years ago a great evil could not be defeated, only sealed away"? That happened with Jenova, too. The Ancients could only seal her/it away but we managed to kill her/it forever. Is there ever an RPG story where the heroes can't permanently defeat the evil but have to seal it away?
Is that a uniquely Japanese trope? The concept probably dates back a thousand years or so since it is so common to come across. Then again, you can't get a sequel if you do kill the ancient evil and it has to be a plot villain right now.

I am cloudy on this, but maybe Wild Arms did a little inversion of it as the Elws locked themselves away from the world before it went barren.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am not sure how the story goes, but Startropics also had the good guys sealing themselves away in tetrads, so aliens won't harm them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

JagerNinja posted:

This is actually kind of the answer to a question I was going to ask: if there are any games where you seal away the evil and everyone looks at each other and says "yeah, that'll never hold... we should probably try and figure out a permanent solution rather than leaving this to be a future generation's problem."

Maybe the evil gets sealed part-way through the game and the rest of the game is spent preparing, then at the end you intentionally release the evil and just as it's saying "Ah ha! Free at last to continue my reign of darkness... wait, what do you mean it's only been 6 months? Why are you back?" the party shows up and dogpiles the ancient evil into dust.
I think Breath of Fire 2 does that in a gotcha kind of a way. Problem is Myria is still alive in 3 and messing with the planet, who may also be keeping her son alive with chrsymachines.