Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

there's got to be some term for "non WWE wrestling that is not so big".

The lower leagues. ROH is Championship level, Evolve just got relegated to the Conference North, that's 6 tiers below the Premier League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wazzu posted:

God sometimes watching indie wrestling can be a confusing mess of subscriptions. How the heck do I watch Jungle Boy vs. David Arquette?

I think Bar Wrestling is on the Highspots Network.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Stories like this make me miss CZWfans.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ah, the second best training video of all time after

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

poo poo yeah!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

If he isn't being told to bring the Super Hluk belt with him then this is an outrage.

One of the most endearing things in MMA history

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

rovert posted:

Enjoyed MLW from last weekend. The opener trios match was a really fun spotfest and Lawlor/Fatu was a very enjoyable match that served to build towards War Chamber.
https://twitter.com/MLW/status/1168659870960107520

And since we're talking about MLW, they are doing something a bit different on the next episode of Fusion. Main event is going to be Go Shiozaki vs Alex Hammerstone from the NOAH N1 Victory tournament from Nagoya. Interested to see if they do more of this, it'd be a good way of introducing someone like Nakajima to MLW audiences.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"buzzing young legacy talents like Davey Boy Smith Jr.". Young. 34. Been wrestling regularly for about 17 or 18 years. Right on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Tables always made sense in the ECW arena because it was a bingo hall, and on indy shows, they use them to do meet and greets and signings and concessions, but why are there just random tables under every ring that just, like, live there on wrestling shows?

Doors are an even bigger stretch and don't make sense at all ever.

It's wrestling, some things aren't worth overthinking. They are there because it looks cool and is relatively safe when people are thrown through them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

lost my old email posted:

gently caress irish whips shoot style all the way baby but that battleARTS kind of style where you mix in all the other poo poo it is weird & good and i think jeff hardy was actually in battleARTS in his backyarder gimmick

Man, how did I not know that Willow The Wisp was in battleARTS just months before The Hardy Boyz became a regular team in WWF? That's brilliant. Goes to Japan in 1998, does 2 dates, doesn't wrestle for a Japanese group again until Wrestle Kingdom V where he beats the ultimate loser Tetsuya Naito for the TNA championship.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I don't completely disagree, but it's a symptom of a greater problem. We say "just don't think about it" a lot in wrestling, and I honestly believe it's one of the biggest barriers of entry to creating new fans.

When you bring friends over to watch wrestling who only know who Hulk Hogan and The Rock and sometimes Goldberg and Austin are, the more times you have to say "I know it doesn't make sense, but just go with it" the less likely they're going to buy in.

The filing of most wrestling shows from the past few decades is they're seriously unapproachable. They're too long, they don't make sense, and they're full of things that we've all become numb to that just shouldn't happen very often if at all.

Up to a point, you should produce every wrestling show like it might be somebody's first. Superhero comics used to do that, and the moment they stopped, they began their long slide into irrelevance and subsequent rebirth into just being an idea farm for more popular media.

Similarly, to hold on to those fans, things need to matter, so the events of the past have to have weight. It's a balancing act. But making a show that makes sense, is approachable, and has continuity isn't some far-flung pipe dream. It's entirely possible to do.

If you make a show just for wrestling fans, the only people who'll watch it are people who are already wrestling fans.

Eh. The same can be said with every television show. If Dr Gregory House is such a brilliant diagnostician then why does he get it wrong 5 or 6 times before he gets it right? Because drama.

Yes, there are plenty things in wrestling that can take you out of it, but "why are there tables under the ring?" is so minor. It's so you can put someone through a table. It's one step removed from "why do Irish whips work?" and it's because once upon a time wrestling wasn't worked and the fights went on forever and eventually interest waned. So they started working it, and as you work the match you start doing more and more staff that clearly isn't real. Irish whips. Huracarranas. 450 splash. How does a Russian Leg Sweep hurt the guy taking it and not the guy giving it when they both take back bumps?

If you sit down to watch a fantasy show you accept the logic that allows magic and dragons and elves to exist. If you watch a wrestling show you just know there's going to be an excess of tables under the ring.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

When did being dumb hamper a wrestling career?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

House of Glory the Amazing Red promotion? That is surreal. No Limit Soldiers coming back baby!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I just picked up Highspots Network.

What is much watch right now?

Including PWG shows

Oh god. One of my favourite shows from my heavy indie watching in the 2000s was the 2007 Ted Petty Invitational from IWA Mid South. Here's your first round matches:
Chris Hero vs 2 Cold Scorpio
Chuck Taylor vs Jimmy Jacobs
Eddie Kingston vs Human Tornado
Drake Younger vs Nate Webb
Claudio Castagnoli vs Nigel McGuinness
Davey Richards vs BJ Whitmer
Brent Albright vs Tank
CJ Otis vs Joker
Mike Quackenbush vs Billy Roc
Brandon Thomaselli vs Joey Ryan
Josh Abercrombie vs Ricochet
Devon Moore vs Dysfunction

And this is the field after the following names pulled out for various reasons: Samoa Joe, Alex Shelley, Low-Ki, Matt Sydal, El Generico, Jimmy Rave, B-Boy, and Tony Kozina.

There's also what I remember as an amazingly fun Last Man Standing match between Chris Hero & Eddie Kingston on night 2. Seemingly they had legit heat over something or other Hero did while the Chikara school trainer and it turned into a really great feud across the indie as they just battered the snot out of each other.

Obviously it's IWA Mid South so your mileage may vary, it's the very definition of a scummy indie wrestling show from a high school gym in a Chicago suburb, that vibe isn't for everyone.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 9, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

As for what PWG to watch, well, if you go watch old PWG the commentary is kind of shocking. It's all very casually homophobic & racist but in an ironic way, horribly dated (on DVDs they'd always have 2 audio tracks, 1 with commentary & 1 without if you really don't want to listen to Excalibur & Disco Machine). But that warning attached, Mystery Vortex III is very highly thought of. You've got Ciampa vs Gargano (fancy that!), Roderick Strong vs Speedball Mike Bailey for the PWG title is great, Chris Hero vs ZSJ which is match of the show, Biff Busick vs Tim Thatcher, and a tag title match with Andrew Everett & Trevor Lee defending against The Young Bucks.

All Star Weekend 13 Night 2 has The Young Bucks against Flash Morgan Webster & Mark Haskins, Joey Janela vs Marty Scurll, WALTER vs ZSJ which Dave gave ***** to, and Ricochet defending the PWG title against Chuck Taylor

Guerre Sans Frontières is worth watching for El Generico vs Shingo Takagi, CIMA & the Motor City Machine Guns against Brian Kendrick & The Bucks & a World title match between Chris Hero & Bryan Danielson which goes long but is great

Steen Wolf is worth watching for the main event, PWG World title Ladder match between Kevin Steen & El Generico.

If you want to go back a bit, check out All Star Weekend IV Night 2 for the first ever meeting of Generico & PAC.

As a general rule of thumb with PWG though you could just pick out any Battle of Los Angeles or All Star Weekend show and be in for a treat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

2000s IWA-MS was a great look at what happened to wrestling after big 3 US companies all merged. Maskless Rey Mysterio wrestling in a gym holding no more than 400 people.

I mean yeah, but also there was something about the scummy buildings they ran which just scratches an itch I have. I bought DVDs of IWA shows which had amazingly stacked, talented cards, absurd death matches, and it'd be in front of 2 rows of fans, at least half of whom probably only knew about IWA because Ian was their meth dealer or something. Though the Eddie vs Rey vs Punk match happened in a bit more of an upmarket venue by IWAMS standards

Think it was the first Sweet Science Sixteen (precursor to the TPI) they ran in 2000, with a field featuring Hero, Punk, Cabana, Whitmer, Super Hentai, Ace Steel, Chuck E Smooth, American Kickboxer etc, and it was just held in some field. Such inauspicious surroundings, exactly the right levels of scumminess I want from an IWA MS show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

I think that was the only time IWA-MS ever ran indy. If i remember the scuttlebutt correctly, Ian had managed to upset the building owners and vowed never to do business with them again.

I wonder how many buildings they got run out of because they never paid or they damaged it somehow. Must be a dozen at least. Ian Rotten is the last true wrestling promoter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Slothass posted:

With IWTV do you have to watch the events live or are they available after the fact?

Shows are archived to watch back later. I don't know exactly how quickly they go up but for example the Beyond show from Saturday is available to watch now. They have Beyond shows dating back to Americanrana 2015 for example.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

BDSM and pro wrestling are pretty much the same thing anyway.

Nice things to enjoy in the privacy of your own home that you probably don't want strangers to know you like?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I can't think of a more appropriate place to post this so indie thread will do

I'm currently watching the inaugural Dragon Gate USA show. The opener was an entertaining clash between BxB Hulk and Yamato (Hulk almost took out one of his dancers doing a backflip while she wandered carelessly into his way). Anyway, they followed that up with Too Cold Scorpio, who is rad, against Kenn Doane, aka Kenny from the Spirit Squad. And Doane really quickly starts stalling. It's some weird booking from Gabe.

Were people actually that high only Doane?

Dawn Marie could be the worst ring announcer ever. "Lightning Quackenbush and Jagsaw"

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 23, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I had no idea he was still around. Assumed he'd just have given up but fair play to him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

I may take the 2-4th off just to sit in my underwear and watch wrestling.

Get fired and do that every day instead!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

remember when evolve put on their 10th anniversary show in their 9th year as a business

remember when it was gonna be put on the wwe network, and it just happened to be running against the AEW charity show for victims of gun violence

remember how that was all one big coincidence and it was just the launching pad of wwe starting to put independent shows on their streaming service

remember how they haven't run a single show on their network since then

man what a funny coincidence that all was.

Wasn't the excuse that it was the tenth anniversary of WWN & the first Dragon Gate USA show? (Which is obviously silly & dumb still)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bushmeister posted:

Early/mid 2000's Tournament of Deaths and King of the Deathmatches had some amazingly dumb, unprotected poo poo that in hindsight I don't think anyone even relatively big-time in deathmatch wrestling would do anymore. I remember stuff like Necro just chucking a VCR out of the ring and into the back of Toby Klein's head and stuff.

Toby Klein is someone I definitely remember enjoying a lot back in that era. I should really go back to the early/mid 00s death match scene sometime and see if I still get any pleasure from watching that poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That's the thing with staples. They look nasty while having a low chance of actually doing permanent damage. I always liked when they stapled a dollar to the other guys head so you can really see it stuck there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/rachelmillman/status/1201293226944159744?s=20

This seems like it would be good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Seems like this match has been cancelled which is a bummer. But instead we get DBS Jr vs Low Ki which is also interesting.

OPENING ROUND OPERA CUP
Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Low Ki

OPENING ROUND OPERA CUP
MJF vs. Alex Hammerstone

OPENING ROUND OPERA CUP
TJP vs. Brian Pillman Jr.

OPENING ROUD OPERA CUP
Timothy Thatcher vs Richard Holliday

I know it's being taped tonight but dunno when it'll be broadcast but I'm kind of interested in watching this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dragonshirt posted:

I just signed up for IWTV. What's good on here besides Beyond?

I checked what they have. Saw IWA Mid South, was going to recommend some of the Ted Petty Invitational shows but they don't have many of them up for some reason. They do however have the 2007 TPI which I haven't seen in 12 years but my memory of it is that the tournament was dope. The tournament has some great wrestlers in it like Claudio Castagnoli, Mike Quackenbush, Chuck Taylor, Ricochet (if you've never seen young long haired Ricochet, it's funny), Nigel McGuinness, etc. I specifically remember liking the finals. But the real standout match from the show is a non-tournament match on night 2: Chris Hero vs Eddie Kingston in a Last Man Standing match. It's one of those "feuds all over the indies" that started because they genuinely disliked each other & the end result is two dudes who are really great at wrestling just battering the bejezus out of each other.

It still really annoys the completionist rear end in a top hat in me that there's so little early Chikara. OK Quack, I know that they aren't very good shows, but I've always wanted to see the match with Blind Rage where Ichabod Slayne loses his mask to become Icarus. Ultramantis before he was Ultramantis Black. As someone who watched Chikara from about 05 until 08 or 09 I have a strong attachment to that first class of trainees but I've never been able to see their early poo poo and it blows and I blame Quackenbush. They also brought in La Parka (the original) for a match in that first year, Quack & Reckless Youth vs Parka & Mister ZERO (aka the guitarist in Pissed Jeans. Sorry, that makes me smile every time I think of it)

That was a failure at recommending Chikara stuff, sorry.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 7, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

J-Ro posted:

IWTV added a bunch of old CHIKARA stuff not too long ago (incl. the early Tag Tournaments and KOTs - recommended btw). Maybe the rest is in the works too?

Nah, the Chikara streaming service doesn't have much old poo poo either. 3 shows from Season 1, 3 from Season 2 (including Night 1 but not Night 2 of the first Tag World GP) and I remember being told it's because Quack isn't happy with the quality of the shows which, whatever, it's Chikara, you aren't watching most shows for ***** wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

davidbix posted:

Actually, IWTV has every Chikara show in company history up now.

I just double checked & there's 2 Season 1 shows & 0 Season 2 shows so yeah. That can't be right. Even Chikaratopia has 3 events from Season 2.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was always fun doing color for Chikara and IWA-MS, too

One time Arik Cannon countered a running move with a stiff punch, and Kingston lost his poo poo in hilarious fashion. I know they don't really need him but Kingston as PnP's manager in AEW would rule.

Yeah, King was good fun with Punk and Prazak for that legendary Joe Necro match at Viking Hall. Always loved when he'd get to do commentary with Bryce or Ultramantis Black for Chikara too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ICWNEWYORK/status/1211778593656909833?s=20

Low Ki vs Takeda is a match I didn't know I wanted until I saw this poster

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

King of sad to see the end of Smart Mark Video in its current form even if the merger with IWTV is undeniably good for fans (on paper at least). Such a massive part of the indie boom of the 2000s, they were filming IWA Mid South, CZW, Chikara, ISW, IWS, IWC, all that good poo poo. I know Mike Burns of Smart Mark was involved in booking CZW at one point which is when they brought in guys like Sexxxy Eddy, Excalibur, Super Dragon, Chris Hero, Kevin Steen, El Generico, Claudio Castagnoli.

I wonder who has the rights to the Jersey All Pro tape library. I'd love to see more stuff from the pre-ROH indie scene uploaded somewhere. JAPW, ECWA, XPW, TWA (the Shawn Michaels/Rudy Boy Gonzalez promotion built around their school), OMEGA. I know SMV/IWTV have some of the FWA stuff up which was where Quackenbush, Reckless Youth, Don Montoya & that crewed wrestled up, including a match with features Quack vs El Hijo del Santo but I can't remember if it was singles or a tag.

God, indie wrestling from 18 years ago makes me turn into a wistful old man and a lot of this is stuff that I just read about and never got to see at the time or since. Remember reading DVDVR Road Trip reports on Jersey All Pro shows which would routinely go on 5 hours and finish after midnight and it was fascinating in a car crash kind of way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

davidbix posted:

The marathon shows were Frank Goodman's USA Pro Wrestling. They could be...difficult.

Ah I see I'm confusing my Franks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Has anyone here seen the MCW Vendetta show? Because Voices of Wrestling are rhapsodising about it basically from top to bottom

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It should be Ren Narita and he should win.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I'm not going to get a Highspots sub since it's almost prime WM week season but this promotion is still weird as heck. It's like PWG on a major budget. I have no idea what the actual content is like, but every card I see from them has a ton of great on paper matches.

Apparently the shows are usually good. A big advantage they have is the guy promoting the shows is the Principal of the school they run (or something like that), they are run as fundraisers for the school so they have no rent or lighting/PA hire costs and a lot of the people involved are volunteers. Which means they can bring in Minoru Suzuki or Barbaro Cavernario and indy stars and still more than break even.

What I'm saying is Super Dragon should find a way to be a private High School teacher and massively reduce PWG's overheads

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

so do i watch GCW or the weird catholic high school money mark show

If I was going to watch one it'd be Warrior because that lineup is rad, Shelley vs Narita should rule, Cavernario vs Templario, Rascalz vs Stronghearts is great on paper, & the title match sounds fascinating. Black Taurus should win, Black Taurus rules.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bold of them to keep using that name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

John Dudebro posted:

there must have been another hulu-era nxt reject they could have paired with bull dempsey for that match

Sadly Mojo Rawley is still waiting for his release