Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Aye Doc posted:

i think you'll find the secret to longevity is actually, never take a bump

Considering the amount of partying DX used to do, I think it's fair to say that Billy Gunn has taken a bump.

Wait, you mean while wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Tonight's Uncharted Territory from the newsletter:

Jake Atlas vs. John Silver
Nerder Death Kill (Nick Gage & Thomas Santell) vs. Team Pazuzuhausen (Pinkie Sanchez & Danhausen)
Brandon Thurston vs. Jay Freddie
Leyla Hirsch vs. AC Mack
Tournament For Tomorrow Round 1: Josh Briggs vs. Alec Price
Tournament For Tomorrow Round 1: Anthony Greene vs. CJ Cruz
Discovery Gauntlet: Aaron Rourke vs. Masha Slamovich

Spotlight Match (7:45pm start time): Dakoda Orion vs. Mike Skyros

:toot:

Great card.

What's the general consensus on Danhausen? I've seen several of his matches and a bunch of his social media stuff and I'm entertained. Him and Effy as Gaytanic Panic was pretty fantastic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dragonshirt posted:

I just signed up for IWTV. What's good on here besides Beyond?

Black Label Pro shows are usually pretty good. Chikara have great storytelling. Flying V Fights only have a few shows but they're all good. Limitless have been putting on some real solid shows lately. I've only watched a couple of Freelance shows, but they've been decent.

Honestly my main advice is just to find a recent show with some people you like on the bill and watch it. If you liked Kris Statlander on AEW, she headlines the latest Limitless show. If you want a taster of what a bunch of different promotions are up to, during Wrestlemania weekend several of them came together to do a show called the Midwest Mixtape which had a really good card: https://iwtv.live/promotion/PBTV#lP4EoOK7Y2

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 7, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

Cheerful Wrestling Show. There are only two episodes so far but :allears:

Kris Statlander goes line dancing! Eddie Kingston cuts a promo on airports!

Sarah Shockey is an absolute gem and should be given an infinite budget with which to make weird poo poo.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 7, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ACH is less and less in the "haha wow this is a trainwreck" camp and more and more in the "I hope he's OK and has someone to talk to" camp.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

shoplifter posted:

So I’m watching the GCW shows tonight and tomorrow. What do I need to know, as someone that has never watched GCW, aside from Joey Janela?

1) they get pretty rowdy, doors will probably get involved
2) they also get silly. Especially at the WOMBAT show
3) Tonight's card features both Joey Janela's cousin and Marko Stunt's brother
4) they once had a match where The Invisible Man (face) wrestled his brother Invisible Stan (heel). Bryce Remsburg refereed it and it was joyous nonsense.
5) Effy is wrestling someone for a Dollar General card on a pole

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

someone just posted this clip on Twitter and holy moly

https://twitter.com/early90spants/status/1203806613246603264

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Freelance are great, Limitless are great, Black Label Pro are fantastic. Cheerful Wrestling Show is cute as hell.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

i forgot i have a independent wrestling tv account. Whats been good the last few months?

Slamilton was a good show, Flying V Fights is a lot of fun. King Of Trios is all up now and has some great stuff. Plus just watch Uncharted Territory.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dlowmx posted:

The venue is usually a huge chunk of profits. You’d also be surprised how cheap some Indy wrestlers work for

Especially if there's an associated good cause

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

You had me at "Live Debate"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

blast0rama posted:

This. Eddie has a foul mouthed, almost child-like joy of good pro-wrestling. Would love to hear him do more commentary (especially if he's hanging up the boots soon).

The cutest thing on his recent guest commentary on Beyond was him enthusing at the IWTV live graphic that looks like the old MTV logo. he was just happy that someone did something fun!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The most minor Indie pet peeve possible: I hate how long it takes for shows other than Beyond to go from streaming on IWTV to available on demand. I live in the UK. I usually can't stay up to watch wrestling in the middle of the night on weekdays, which means it's sometimes a week or more before I can watch a show after it aired.

And yes, I realise that not long ago it was untold months before I could get a third generation dvd. It's still annoying.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So IWTV just merged with Smart Mark Video https://independentwrestling.tv/news/smart-mark-video-iwtv-announce-merger

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

if this ends up with loads of new promotions becoming part of IWTV and better video quality: great

If this ends up with current IWTV promotions moving their premium content away from IWTV: less great.

(sorry, I tend to get paranoid about such things)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

including a match with features Quack vs El Hijo del Santo but I can't remember if it was singles or a tag.

Singles match that went to a 15 minute time limit draw, per Cagematch. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=34326

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The "wooden skewers" moment of the Bear Country / Team Tremendous match at Heavy Lies The Crown is SO dumb, and I love it SO much.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This is going back a couple of years, but does anyone remember a short format wrestling show called Dojo Pro? It's on Amazon Prime if you're interested.

Basically it was a seeded ladder-style elimination tournament for a shot at the ROH Television Title, and managed to include a massive range of indie talent just as they were breaking out, as well as some established veterans. Competitors were:

Kerry Awful
Kevin Ku
Gunner Miller
Wheeler Yuta
Corey Hollis
Joey Janela
Brandon Cutler
James Storm
Ricky Starks
Aaron Solow
Cheeseburger
MJF
Shane Strickland
Jeff Cobb

It's a weird but well used format that I think influenced the Beyond Discovery Gauntlet, and had some really fun matches despite a lacklustre crowd. Take a look if you get a chance.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

I watched this and it was pretty fun, but I stopped when I found out the creators had some problematic history. Can't remember what it was now because it was a couple years ago, but something about them soured me on the show.

Ah. I should look this up at some point. Everything gets Milkshake Ducked in the end I suppose.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Well, crap.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ospreay/Gage just doesn't make sense in my brain. Which is a big part of why I want to see it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Want to hear a Japanese announcer do a full version of the 3 minute Nick Gage intro that Rich Paladino does.

Sadly the match never takes place, before Gage can cause any mayhem Kikutaro just shoots him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, this has probably already been covered, but IWTV is doing a show called The Thursday Night Fix that's basically a wrestling mix tape. JRose (Black Label Pro ring announcer and all round IWTV crew guy) curates and introduces a set of matches that are newly added, might have been missed, or spotlight a fed on the IWTV lineup.

Last week's:

quote:

GCW "Crushed Up" from 06.20.2019
Matthew Justice vs Dan Maff

St Louis Anarchy "No Church In The Wild" from 11.08.2019
Workhorsemen (Anthony Henry and JD Drake) vs Besties In The World (Davey Vega and Mat Fitchett)

BODYSLAM! "Scandinavian Slammasters" from 10.19.2019
Speedball Mike Bailey vs Lucky Kid

AIW "Girls Night Out 14" from 10.04.2019
AIW Women's Championship: Veda Scott vs Athena(c)

IWTV Music Video: WARHORSE "Holy Diver" by @IvanFirejay

New South "Winter Warz Rumble" from 12.14.209
Independent Wrestling Championship: Chris Crunk vs WARHORSE(c)

Without-A-Cause "Year One" from 10.27.2019
WAC Heavyweight Championship: Hammerstone vs Chris Bey(c)

Paradigm Pro "Summer On Lock" from 07.26.2019
Paradigm Championship: Calvin Tankman vs AJ Gray(c)

That's a solid lineup of matches from shows I hadn't watched. Nice.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Black Label Pro's first show of 2020 is live on IWTV in 3.5 hours (5:30PM Eastern). Card for Nobody Puts BLP In A Corner:

Greatest BLP Rumble. Participants include Ethan Page, Gary Jay, Wheeler YUTA, Aaron Williams, Billie Starkz, Joshua Bishop, Graham Bell, Logan James, Blair Onyx, Thomas Shire, Lord Crewe, Alice Crowley and Project MONIX
Jason Cade vs Johnathan Wolf
Violence Is Forever (Dominic Garrini and Kevin Ku) vs Corn Beef (1 Called Manders and "Big Beef" Gnarls Garvin)
Alex Shelley vs Isaias Velazquez
Rocky Romero vs Ophidian
AJ Gray defends the Midwest title against Hammerstone
Erick Stevens defends the world title against Filthy Tom Lawlor
WARHORSE defends the IWTV title against Kylie Rae

gently caress, this looks great. Love seeing Rocky on the indies.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ok, this looks interesting. RISE trying something different with "tryout" / showcase events. https://youtu.be/CDRiQhFrP5Y

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Beyond's first show of 2020, Please Come Back, is on IWTV this Saturday at 2PM Eastern:
Orange Cassidy vs Dan Champion
Chuck O'Neil vs Brian Pillman Jr
Josh Briggs vs Jake Something
John Silver vs Eric James
Solo Darling vs Jakob Hammermeier
Bear Country (Bear Boulder and Bear Bronson) vs the REP (Dave McCall and Nate Carter)
Anthony Greene vs Little Mean Kathleen
Willow Nightingale vs Jaden Valo
Whatever It Takes (Alex Reynolds and VSK, with Mark Sterling) vs Maine State Posse (Aiden Aggro and Dangerkid)
Kris Statlander vs Mystery opponent who's being revealed on Beyond's social media sometime tonight

Please Come Back is the show where each regular beyond guy hand picks an opponent who isn't a company regular, right?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm a huge fan of nontraditional wrestling promoters/promotions getting stuff up and running. One of my current favourite promotions is Flying V Fights, because it's a weird Maryland theatre company who just decided they were going to do a wrestling show too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Filthy Father v Murder Grandpa

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

syzpid posted:

Curious, is Warhorse actually good? I'm enjoying his twitter schtick, but haven't seen him wrestle.

I like him. Decent enough moveset but what makes him good is that he really lives his character during matches as well. His title defense against Kylie Rae at BLP from this last week was great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Honestly at this point they might as well call him Workhorse. He won the title in September and he's defended it 24 times so far. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=5&nr=3532&page=5&reign=7

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I continue to think that Alex Shelley looks like the guy cast to play Chris Brookes in a biopic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

PWX in the Carolinas is partnering with IWTV now. Their X-16 tournament got posted.

It is really weird seeing Ren Narita wrestle in the shithole town where I lived from 2002 to 2006. I wonder if they went for ice cream at Tony's afterwards.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 28, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I do love that when they decide to do a bit they just absolutely go for it.

EDIT: Looking at the venue they've got booked, this is taking place immediately before Evolve have a show in the same venue. Which may or may not be a calculated swipe.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 29, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So Voices of Wrestling have a list up and as of right now there are 57 wrestling shows happening in Tampa between March 31st and April 6th. Blimey.

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/wrestlemania-weekend-2020-schedule-map/

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

2019- Cassidy vs TAKA
2020- Cassidy vs Suzuki
2021- Cassidy vs Okada?

Book it coward Joey Janela

Cassidy vs ZSJ.

Imagine how furious ZSJ will get when he puts Cassidy in a hold and Cassidy just Bugs Bunnies out of it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Does FITE do VOD pretty quickly after the show? I am strongly considering finally signing up for the GCW shows during WM weekend, but 100% will not be able to watch live.

Pretty much straight away. I live in the UK and can watch AEW shows on FITE both live and within hours of them finishing in the US.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/wattpadcomment/status/1171351160499757057?lang=en

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

What works about Frank is that we've got an idea what clowns are like in wrestling and he avoids that entirely. He's a massive dirtbag in clown makeup, and that's just fun.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheProductDS/status/1228811236839698434

If I'm reading this correctly, David Starr just confirmed him versus Jon Moxley for the March 14 OTT show in Dublin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I think that's what's ultimately calling me to watch GCW. Hopefully should be some glorious violence.

oh gently caress

I'm often lukewarm about hardcore / deathmatch shows (I've rarely watched a CZW show I've loved, for example), but GCW usually gets the balance just right for me by having contained deathmatch stuff with a fun broader card supporting it.