Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

The most I've ever heard about MLW (besides their re-birth being like their original run, where good talent goes to have mediocre matches) is that their guaranteed deals were SUPER low ($150 a shot).

So, if they can't survive on that little cash, I have no idea what they're even doing.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Who's buying the Mad Man Pondo book?

Depends, is there a "Somehow, I Boned Sara Logan on the Regular" chapter?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1143942230861725696

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I liked this promo a lot. Didn’t know Effy was such a good promo.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

coconono posted:

you knew the match was good when you could see Eddie bouncing in his chair like a christmas morning child.

This. Eddie has a foul mouthed, almost child-like joy of good pro-wrestling. Would love to hear him do more commentary (especially if he's hanging up the boots soon).

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

This is feeling more and more like an angle...

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Former CZW World Champion and the shoot brother of Nick Gage, Justice Pain has passed away.

There was a window of time where he was one of the top guys on the East Coast, so it’s surreal to hear he has passed.

I hope Gage has friends around him tonight.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Lamuella posted:

I continue to think that Alex Shelley looks like the guy cast to play Chris Brookes in a biopic.

Made even better by how much Brookes is loved by Shelley.

I’m excited that Brookes is gonna have an extended stay in Japan, but I’m bummed this means a possible Shelley/Brookes match is even further away from happening.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I'm now even more sure that the Beyond thing is an angle.

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1222324936032817153

How are they gonna not do intergender?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

If you weren’t sure before, the latest news on the Beyond Wresting “pilot” is on Punk Rock comedy site The Hard Times.

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/spoilers-rumored-card-for-beyond-championship-wrestling-network-pilot/

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

KungFu Grip posted:

It's weird that Treehouse Lee's brother Saieve Al Sabah isn't getting booked in GCW more since he's just as good.

Didn't he also like, sign an Evolve deal and then VERY QUICKLY bail on it? Not that I blame him entirely given how lovely Gabe's been in recent years, but seems odd.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

DarkstarIV posted:

Dunno what thread this belonged in, but apparently Gail Kim, Lita, and Christy Hemme are launching a wrestling promotion. They need to raise the money through Kickstarter first though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kayfabe/kayfabe?ref=card

No tier to actually see the show, and the show itself sounds like GLOW. 🤷‍♂️

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

STAC Goat posted:

The $400 tiers and up have tickets to the show. Are you saying a tier to see the finish product? I would assume they intend to... you know... air it.

Exactly that. MST3K went right to Netflix, but the KickStarter backers still got downloads, DVDs, etc. Heck, even the Critical Role people were going to give people early access to their show after Amazon Prime picked it up.

What if it doesn't get picked up? The show and money just lapses into ephemera? Feels lovely to the people who throw down that money for it.

I wish them all the luck in the world, but it doesn't feel like this is a group which has much Kickstarter savvy.

They should aim for a lower tier which gives wide ranging access, then bump up to tiers that give exclusive goods/merch/etc.

The closest thing you've got is $25 for a PDF of the script which you don't even get until the show MAYBE airs.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Man, I hope for GCW and Highspots’ sakes, the State of Florida forces their hand.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I sure hope things work out similarly for GCW re: The Collective as it did for Highspots.

I know that they're still intending to run "later", but I hope they can free up some $$$ in the meantime.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Years ago, Danny was a part of a Chikara Young Lions Cup.

I think he was against Arik Cannon in the first round. He came out to a weird hymn, shook the hands of all 50 people in the crowd, myself included, and proceeded to get absolutely demolished by Cannon.

It was crazy, violent, and unlike anything I’d experienced before. His charisma wasn’t what you’d expect from standard pro wrestling, but you had to see what he’d do next.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Devlin looks like Hornswaggle in the thumbnail there.

Did they give him a giant head?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

drat, an IWTV sub is looking nicer and nicer.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I think BLP lets people/podcasts/etc. cover part of - if not all of - the booking fee for a talent, and in turn they get named as a sponsor.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Yep, that’s his new name, and it’s a heck of a choice.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

RealFoxy posted:

My mind keeps blanking on the who and the when, but I keep remembering a kickass teaser for a WM weekend show with a child being asked to choose between something and the blade and for the life of me I can't find that video anywhere or what the original audio was from. I thought it was Great Muta's teaser for Spring Break this year but his package is something else entirely.

Was that the one for Suzuki/OC?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Oh wait! Suzuki vs. Dickinson!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Man, RSP is so super cringe.

If that's his "character", hats off, but the entire 44OH crew just turns me the heck off.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

mariooncrack posted:

Wasn't there a small break out at the shows they did in October?

Yep.

What an awful idea from GCW, IWTV, Highspots and literally everyone involved.

Do we all want wrestling? Yeah.

Is this the way or time to do it? No. Stay home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Hard to stay home when you are given absolutely no incentive to because the government would rather buy more weapons and instruments of war instead of letting you live.

No disagreement here, but I think we can agree there are better things to do than run wrestling shows which endanger even more people than those they’re financially enriching.

Or, better yet, that it’d be smarter that if you’re a wrestler / fed who needs money as this is your vocation, to run closed set streaming events, as GCW has shown they’re able to do and succeed at twice over so far?