Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Happy! is a show about Nick, an hitman ex-cop whose life turns upside-down when he encounters Happy, his daughter's imaginary friend. Based on a short-run comic book series written by Grant Morrison, the first season followed the two as they searched for Nick's daughter, kidnapped by a madman dressed as Santa Claus. This year, they continue their quest against mob boss Mr. Blue and his associate, children's entertainer/extortionist Sonny Shine.

Oh, I guess this is the time to mention the show is loving NUTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0RPu3XJLLs

Season 1 is on Netflix, so you can catch up before season 2 debuts March 27th on Syfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For some reason they've decided to block this in some countries (why do they do that with trailers?) but here's a copy that works for me in Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggzPWPzLxIc

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Tiggum posted:

For some reason they've decided to block this in some countries (why do they do that with trailers?) but here's a copy that works for me in Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggzPWPzLxIc

Here's a refresher if anyone needs to catch up:
Warning Spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5GZO-d3Eug

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I loved how the 1st season did capture the whole 80s action/revenge movie vibe but took into a different direction.

Christopher Meloni was also great in the lead role especially how his super power was surviving constant beatdowns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my god hell yeah. Didn't even know this was up for renewal. Meloni is godlike.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was hoping this would have come back last Christmas season but I guess late is better than never.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

After watching this season 1 you'll never think of Mars Bringer of War in the same context....

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

etalian posted:

After watching this season 1 you'll never think of Mars Bringer of War in the same context....

"I WASN'T CURIOUS!"

So the season one big bad was a human trafficking ring and Trash Santa. From what I gather the season two big bad is the Roman Catholic Church and Sonny Shine.

Should be good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
super good premiere. love the gimp suit Easter bunny, I guess it’s a predictable villain design but it works well

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's great to have this show back.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favourite bit was the face Sax makes when he finds the bear claw.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Loved the episode, I might like it over S1 already. I didn't do very well with the 'kids in danger' stuff but that's probably just personal. 'Amoral deviant destroys the Catholic Church from within via marketing campaign' is much more in my wheelhouse.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The warehouse scene was loving goddamn chef-kiss beautiful.

I missed Happy. I forgot just what I was in store for but having seen this episode, I loving missed this dark, dark show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whalley posted:

I missed Happy. I forgot just what I was in store for but having seen this episode, I loving missed this dark, dark show.

It really gets the concept of black humor right.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Finally saw it today. Was wondering how they were gonna top the opening scene from season one but sure as poo poo found a way.

That poor prostitute though... You'd think by now whenever she sees Nick Sax she'd just go "NOPE" and start running the other way.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My wife hasn't seen the episode yet but I know already she's going to have problems with the scene with Smoothie and the rabbits.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I felt kinda bad for the bunnies tbf. Fortunately all the murder and skinning brought in some positive vibes to balance it out.

The opening scene for this episode was great.

bloom fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 4, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Noticed in the credits that Chris Meloni directed the episode. Looks like a 1st for the series and a third directing credit overall.

Felt like it was an okay episode that serves more as connective tissue between episode 1 and whatever is coming in 3. Haley getting to directly see that daddy does very bad things but not really seeing the motivation behind it. Amanda is heading full steam ahead for a breakdown. Smoothie is doing grotesque things to humans and animals for unknown reasons. And Blue is dead but probably not really. Happy didn't get anything to do during the episode. Amanda's connection and hookup with that entrepreneur ties-for-third-world-countries guy felt really out of left field. I wonder where that thread will go?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Fabulousity posted:

Smoothie is doing grotesque things to humans and animals for unknown reasons. And Blue is dead but probably not really.

Well, I think Smoothie is just getting to be Smoothie and that's how Sunny Shine is getting him to raise the Easter profile. The skinning dudes is just his standard crazy. Blue is fun as poo poo, didn't realize there would be some weird rear end demonic possession in this show, but I'm down with it.

Also, the names for the horses on the screen were a ton of references to Patton Oswalt. I'm wondering if the ones I didn't recognize were references to his stand up.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

seaborgium posted:

Well, I think Smoothie is just getting to be Smoothie and that's how Sunny Shine is getting him to raise the Easter profile. The skinning dudes is just his standard crazy. Blue is fun as poo poo, didn't realize there would be some weird rear end demonic possession in this show, but I'm down with it.

Also, the names for the horses on the screen were a ton of references to Patton Oswalt. I'm wondering if the ones I didn't recognize were references to his stand up.

Yeah Richie Coster is great. His seething diatribe about the vileness of reality TV in season one is a series highlight. Last episode where he shoved Blue to the side and became the demon while talking to Isabella was fantastic too. I doubt they'll get rid of the character in such a mundane way so it's a question of how is the demon gonna get him out of the bind? I wonder why the demon wasn't able or didn't want to take such direct control of Mikey last season, or why it didn't just stay in that body. After what we learned from the last episode it seems like that would've been a better deal for the demon.

Oh well, this is a show about an imaginary unicorn and an ex-cop later ex-hitman causing mass unplanned accidental dismemberment Looney Tunes style in the criminal underworld because he didn't have a drink that day to stave off the shakes. So it's probably best not to think too hard about it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fabulousity posted:

From what I gather the season two big bad is the Roman Catholic Church and Sonny Shine. Jeffrey Epstein

He was a rich dude who pimped kids to other rich dudes. Got busted (for the kids) but only received a slap on the wrist. And it was kind of covered up.

Theory is that he's got footage of VIPs banging the kids he pimped out to them.

He was friends with Trump, Clinton, etc. during the '90s and poo poo. Very high profile.

Here's Trump joking about Epstein in public, during Epstein's heyday but before he got busted:

quote:

I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.

If you like podcasts, Behind the Bastards does biopics on high profile shitbags.

They recently did a two part series on him:
"The world is run by devils."

Fabulousity posted:

And Blue is dead but probably not really.

I'm hoping for zombie Blue. Maybe he'll dig up Mikey to get the rest of Orcus! (If I understood what went wrong correctly)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This show is even more hilarious now that Easter is right around the corner.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Man episode 2 almost broke me.

I'll never be able to look at operation in quite the same way again. :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo the musical sequence in that episode

Brian fuckin Taylor, man

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The blackmail material in the end was kinda eh. I mean it's obviously good for blackmail, but hardly seemed like something so weird that you would have to go to Sonny to make it happen.

Wonderful episode otherwise. I'm curious to see how the season will ramp up considering the crazy poo poo we've got in the first 3 episodes.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

It was just one tape regarding one guy. Out of the apparently many people Sonny has in his pocket I'm sure there's stranger material out there. I doubt we'll see it depicted in the show but who knows, we've already seen lots of the skinned man in leather drag and it's just three episodes in. Ann Margaret still looking good and :haw: at that brief moment where Sax totally pervs out on one of her shoes.

Next episode looks like it's gonna involve Nazi beat downs, elder abuse, and abusive beat downs of elder Nazis :dance:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fabulousity posted:

that brief moment where Sax totally pervs out on one of her shoes.

That was such a great gag to throw in there. Like it's just Sax being a general purpose degenerate, no need to have Happy comment on it or otherwise draw attention to it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
A children's entertainer outed as a Nazi, what a scandal!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And yeah, Ann Margaret is still hot as hell. :wow:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I imagine that someone at Syfy S&P took one look at the script and told them that they could have the statue penis but it couldn't actually look like a penis.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
For the record, I like Nick's shirt. There's nothing wrong with the 'unemployed homosexual' look at all

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Ok this week's blackmail tape was a bit more out there.

Also lmao at everything.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If watching the History Channel while growing up white middle-class taught me anything, it's that WWII was a time where good men killed Nazis and great men killed lots of Nazis. And Sax and Mer are great people.

I enjoy this product and/or service.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

When he figured out they were Nazis every inhibition Sax had built up around wanton violence evaporated like ether in the desert sun. The moment when Sax is wiggling that old guy's arm around and says with absolute unbridled glee in his voice, "Their bones are so weak!" :discourse:

It also took me way too long to figure out where I heard Dayglo Doug's voice before:

Who knows where the show is going anymore but the set pieces sure are great.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Judging the ratings for this season, it'll probably be the last :|

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
People have no appreciation of art

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That’s tragic, but having watched season 2 so far I can say I will be okay with only two seasons because they have both been so glorious. Like every time you think this show can’t get any more violent and weird it gets more violent and weird.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
B.J. Blazkowicz would have been proud of this episode. :)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Labes for days posted:

Like every time you think this show can’t get any more violent and weird it gets more violent and weird.

Boy is that ever true. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be the director of this thing. "Okay, Christopher, in this scene you'll be naked except for fishnet stockings and a garterbelt, clinging to a barely differentiated mass of flesh and sobbing your heart out...."