Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
"Your name is gently caress" from She Loves Us is definitely up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

WaryWarren posted:

what bar is this? the only one i've ever been in that played SWANS was in istanbul, where the owner got excited when i walked in with my teeth shirt and told me how the band drank there after one of their shows. he then played god drat the sun, blind and failure. :3:

It's a socal dive bar. They have an AMI jukebox.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
HERE. NOW. HERE. NOW. HERE. NOW.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am really fond of "Hard work is only love without sentiment".

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
2020 tour dates with Anna Von Hausswolff have been announced:

quote:

Swans 2020 Tour Dates:
06/05 – Dallas, TX @ Granada Theater
06/06 – Austin, TX @ Oblivion Access Fest
06/09 – Los Angeles, CA @ Regent Theatre
06/10 – San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
06/12 – Portland, OR @ Revolution Hall
06/13 – Seattle, WA @ The Neptune
06/16 – Minneapolis, MN @ Varsity Theater
06/17 – Chicago, IL @ Thalia Hall
06/19 – Detroit, MI @ El Club
06/20 – Toronto, ON @ Lee’s Palace
06/21 – Montreal, QC @ Theatre National
06/24 – Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
06/25 – Philadelphia, PA @ Underground Arts
06/26 – Brooklyn, NY @ Warsaw
06/27 – Brooklyn, NY @ Warsaw

See y'all at the Philly show

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

internet celebrity posted:

2020 tour dates with Anna Von Hausswolff have been announced:

See y'all at the Philly show

See y'all in la

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got one ticket for nyc but now I’m thinking I should just go to both shows.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

FLEX YOUR MUSCLES
RAAAARRRRRGH

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Snowy posted:

I got one ticket for nyc but now I’m thinking I should just go to both shows.

Do they usually change up the setlist if they do 2 nights? I got tickets for both London (UK) shows. From the description on the event it sounds like it will be very heavy on new material (as expected)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nomapple posted:

Do they usually change up the setlist if they do 2 nights? I got tickets for both London (UK) shows. From the description on the event it sounds like it will be very heavy on new material (as expected)

I don’t know, that’s why I didn’t get the second ticket yet but I’m definitely curious

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

"Mother, my scents disgust me"

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

nomapple posted:

half of the set is usually the latest release and the other half is usually stuff he's working on for the next one.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why no Scotland date

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Just a reminder that Swans is loving awesome. Please listen to Swans. Thank you.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Pontificating rear end posted:

Just a reminder that Swans is loving awesome. Please listen to Swans. Thank you.

Just in case anyone needs help with this, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awh87jFO7MQ

Swans is indeed loving awesome. I'm super bummed the tour is probably going to get canceled though, I've never seen them live and have tickets for the Philly show in June.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
So the Swans documentary is now available to buy and stream. Did anyone watch it yet? I've been on a Swans run today, mostly their older stuff but working my way up. The last two albums weren't as much to my liking but the rest of the discography is stellar.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
oohh where can you stream it? I thought the last album was decent but the prior three were mind blowing

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's on Vimeo and Amazon and yeah it's really great. The archival concert footage from the 80s era is bonkers, the version on Vimeo has a bunch of extras too.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

It's on Vimeo and Amazon and yeah it's really great. The archival concert footage from the 80s era is bonkers, the version on Vimeo has a bunch of extras too.

I'm thinking I'll take the time to watch it around x-mas with a good beer. I'm really looking forward to it but just don't have that much time right now.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I watched the doc last week, and I agree with a lot of the reviewers that said that the first half exploring Michael's early life and the history of the band up until Swans Are Dead is fascinating. The second half is all about the new incarnation of the band, which only covers seven years. The first part feels a little thin. The director makes a point to talk about all the albums, except for the Great Annihilator which is the album that contains the song that provides the documentary its name! Also, I would have preferred if the interviewees were restricted to people that were in Swans at one point, not four different scenes with a hack like Amanda Palmer. :barf:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I kind of felt the same way, there was way too much of the post-2010 era in the documentary, felt like they kind of ran out of behind the scenes substance and just played a ton of montages. You should definitely read the book if you haven't already, it goes way more in depth on the 90s era stuff. Getting Jarboe's perspective in particular on that era was really great.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
The book was definitely good although I still thought it should have been a bit more rigorous about the actual music and not just everything around it. Listening to so much Swans for the last week.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I tried to talk to M Gira on Myspace a long time ago, he just ignored me. Shame. I heard about them from http://www.markprindle.com/swans.htm

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Cheese Thief posted:

I tried to talk to M Gira on Myspace a long time ago, he just ignored me. Shame. I heard about them from http://www.markprindle.com/swans.htm

I'm Facebook friends with Mark. We like each other's posts. I'm glad he straightened out his life and is happy and has a family. :)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah I kind of felt the same way, there was way too much of the post-2010 era in the documentary, felt like they kind of ran out of behind the scenes substance and just played a ton of montages. You should definitely read the book if you haven't already, it goes way more in depth on the 90s era stuff. Getting Jarboe's perspective in particular on that era was really great.

Thanks, yeah I read the book before seeing the doc. I remember reading an article from the 90s where Michael describes living with Jarboe in an abandoned building near the infamous Cabrini-Green housing complex in Chicago during the killer heatwave in 1995. They had a tent set up on a concrete floor, there were constant puddles of rainwater that kept the mosquito population abundant. Insanity.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcpvrGvDtGg

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
^ I'd love to see what scene they would have picked for leaving meaning.

For content, I found this list on RYM where someone ranked and commented on every single studio track. I disagree with a lot of it (Oxygen is the weakest track on TBK don't @ me) but I thought it was an interesting read.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Theisbetterthanyou/swans-songs-from-worst-to-best/1/

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^ I'd love to see what scene they would have picked for leaving meaning.

For content, I found this list on RYM where someone ranked and commented on every single studio track. I disagree with a lot of it (Oxygen is the weakest track on TBK don't @ me) but I thought it was an interesting read.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Theisbetterthanyou/swans-songs-from-worst-to-best/1/

You know, I actually liked this list, made me revisit some of the stuff. I share some of the author's tastes, but I also disagree on their assessment on quite a few tracks.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
:siren: NEW ALBUM ANNOUNCED! :siren:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMp7Yi-list/

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 20, 2021

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Yayyyyyy

I'm finally getting into the Glowing Man recently; I've always liked it but never really got deep up in it. The title track is a good example of how Swans mixes filth with transcendence because by the end of the song I feel truly englightened but also am cumming everywhere

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Cloud of Unknowing is the perfect mixture of those for me. I think the ending section goes on a little too long but that heavy poo poo before that is one of the hardest hitting moments in their catalogue

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I actually burst out laughing when I saw the new album has a 43' long track.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It feels more like a continuation of The Body Lovers/The Body Haters that got tacked on. Probably should have been a separate release tbh.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
New album is very good

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

hughesta posted:

New album is very good

yep

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

ZearothK posted:

I actually burst out laughing when I saw the new album has a 43' long track.

I skipped through the song, it's really interesting; it's like all the Swans signature sounds meshed into a single song. I'm gonna have to find a good time to listen to it, for sure.

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
Incredible album

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Anyone have 12k lying around? Someone is selling the master tape for The Great Annihilator: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334617778978

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i have the 12k but no tape player oh well :/

(i do not have 12k :( )