Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Peanut President posted:

so trump's greatest crime, in the eye of the dems, is that he doesn't share their never ending bloodlust for slav death? am i getting that right

i have been seriously confused by my parents suddenly deciding the russians are responsible for all evil in the world when that was considered a mockworthy belief for my entire childhood

this isnt ancient history either obama gave romney poo poo for it back in the far off year of 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

i wanna see a modern Manchurian candidate reboot where the Russians kidnap a guy and brainwash him NOT to kill the president

the more recent version omits foreigners entirely and just makes the bad guy a corporation also the feds plant evidence to save the day at the end

dont think the people who made that movie understood anything about the original really

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i told the old d&d russia thread that john bolton used russiagate to stage a comeback when he had to be forced out of washington with his tail between his legs ten years ago and was called a complete loon since of course everyone knows that bolton is terrible and its not like his appointment could have been blocked anyway

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the president isnt allowed to change foreign policy just because it fails spectacularly humiliates the country and causes needless death and destruction all the smart serious people know this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

trying to imagine what a russian chat show with a horrific computer animated trump as the host would look like

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

those arent russian shows though do russian stereotypes about trump involve him dancing around like michael jackson and talking about how happy he was when could legally import vodka

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this checks out thurmond was loving the family maid so obviously he must have been tricked into being a racist

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember when comey was so proud of being a good dad he accidentally doxxed his daughter

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wonder sometimes just how insane all this stuff must sound to actual russians like they have their own news where they can clearly see that donald trump is pushing bad foreign policy that is completely antithetical to russian interests which our own media is just completely ignoring

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh i have no doubt that pro putin media is milking this for all its worth "the american president is not my personal plaything wink wink" is worth a million shirtless horse riding photos in propaganda value

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Yasha Levine did a little essay about the mindfuck that many Soviet/Russian immigrants have gone through in the past few years from being the good white immigrants to Russian scum.
https://thegrayzone.com/2019/05/28/with-russiagate-we-soviet-immigrants-were-finally-forced-to-reckon-with-the-bigotry-of-americas-elite/

as incomprehensible as the notion may seem now before 9/11 middle easternern immigrants and their descendants were basically the only reliable republican minority voting bloc unluckily for them it became really hard to rationalize that they were the good immigrants once the republicans in power turned them into the bogeyman

of course they at least had the benefit of being able to back the ostensibly not racist party when the republicans drove them away i cant imagine what its like to be a slavic person right now and constantly being told that trump is historys greatest monster for hating immigrants on one end while constantly getting accused of being fifth columnists by the alleged pro immigrant party

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does the new york times even have the power to control the actions of its columnists like this somehow i cant really envision david brooks making a concession like that in his contract negotiations

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can you imagine what kind of crazy totalitarian dictatorship would just put listening devices and cameras everywhere good thing the communists are gone so that cant happen to us

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

seoul subway is really clean koreans are surprised to learn that other countries subways are cesspools because like just hire some people to clean it why is that hard

other fun fact they just convert random railroad tracks into subway lines which is why you can go as far south as cheonan and as far east as chuncheon if that doesnt mean anything to you imagine if the la subway extended into san bernardino and irvine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

at least trump has a sense of humor i dont know what enjoyment anyone is expecting to get out of a spoken recitation of a repetitive legal document

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

The fact that she and Warren are hanging out, writing letters together, and making YouTube’s praising Khalessi (a few hours before she commits genocide) lends some credence to it though

not gonna lie finding out that aoc is a game of thrones fan is probably the most damning factoid ive heard about her to date

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what exactly is the evidence anyway is it literally just the video and whatever super secret classified stuff they cant show us which totally proves theyre not making it up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how everyones just ignoring that we just had an election in which as far as anyone can tell russia didnt try to interfere at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont think you get it that stuffs ok when we do it because were protecting our freedoms

non sarcastic question did the russians or chinese ever actually do this because just at a glance it seems like people from those countries have a decent basic idea what american culture is like but americans seem to struggle with understanding the social culture of those countries or any others beyond simplistic stereotypes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it would be nice if anybody ever pretended to care about that rule in any case except this one very specific one hell until 11/9 it wasnt even consistently applied to russians anyone questioning the obvious quid pro quo of hillarys uranium deal was considered a nut who might as well have been accusing her of personally murdering vince foster

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how trumps decision not to continue to pursue a bad failing policy because its a bad failing policy is being construed as a personality defect and not him just having the basic sense to not keep smashing his head against the wall

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

plot twist theyre all russian bot accounts

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wonder if the people who get the part that talks about how manafort was actually advising yanukovych to move farther away from putin ever stop to wonder whether this completely contradicts everything they think they know about what happened

i mean obviously not i doubt any of the people involved in these recitations actually listen to anything thats being said but its a nice thought

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

only a matter of time before these people realize that the taliban did do nine eleven and the russians are pumping up tulsi to distract us from the truth

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why do they think the author of black hawk down would entice me into reading it they do realize most people just saw the movie and didnt even know there was a book right

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how were not allowed to acknowledge that ukrainian fascists exist at all when theyre one of the few fascist groups to actually have and use military grade weaponry on the regular because they are very awkwardly aligned against our other more important bogeyman putin

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what are the russians going to do with this information anyway theyre not exactly in a position to leverage it over us like the worst thing i can think of is that they sell it to someone in the united states who is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is that a parody or did somebody sincerely think that this analogy would make russians look more dangerous

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i maintain that none of these people actually listen to the mueller report they just consider it agreeable background noise and would be unable to tell you any of its actual content

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

oh no there really is going to be a hamilton-styled nerd rap about mueller on broadway isnt there with a hispanic or chinese person playing TRUMNP!

predicting this will backfire like the genderflipped debates did since trumps charisma is way easier to comprehend when its coming out of someone whos not an old white guy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hey everybody jon huntsman resigned as ambassador to russia no specific reason hed only ever agreed to do the job for two years in the first place

im finding it funny that apparently this is the first ive ever heard that trump appointed huntsman to the only government job that requires talking to russians on a regular basis because hes such a milquetoast respectable republican that acknowledging his existence as ambassador would just make russiagate look even dumber

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ironically it probably clears trump as a suspect since all the other ones are keeping their mouths shut to avoid calling attention to it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait under that logic arent russians allowed to say whatever they want about american politics too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

eh i think its an open question whether humbert is supposed to be a sympathetic character or not if nabokov had wanted to write a pro pedophilia novel he would have had to have used literary devices to depict humbert and lolitas actions with ambiguity anyway because otherwise theres no way he could have gotten published movies like pretty baby blue lagoon and leon engaged in the exact same pseudo artistic bullshit but looking back now they were just made by pedophiles is a much more elegant and logical explanation than saying they were actually an elaborate critique of pedophile culture if that examples too high brow for you also recall that anime does the exact same thing with varying degrees of competence which is where the whole shes really a thousand year old demon meme comes from

none of this is especially relevant to nabokovs being russian although amusingly enough you could conceivably make it an argument for why he was a russian defector communists would not have put up with this bullshit even if degenerate capitalists will bend over backwards to call grotesque erotic nonsense art

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Can someone give me the lowdown on Noam Chomsky

this four part series is a fairly comprehensive read going over the tankie issues with chomsky the tldr version is that while chomsky is very good at identifying bad things that happened in the past regarding any kind of contemporary foreign policy issue hes really not much different than liberals in terms of accepting bullshit narratives and excuses for whatever random intervention the foreign policy establishment wants to do at that moment

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Comey/status/1167074854757163009

the report cleared me of the single most illegalest thing ive been accused of while still saying i did a bunch of other not quite as illegal things therefore im exonerated

hm where have i heard this before

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

for the most part pamela anderson has surprisingly good takes but uh

https://twitter.com/pamfoundation/status/1170086700674093056

vegan prisons is kind of out of nowhere i assume she means prisons that serve vegan food not prison where we lock vegans up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in honestly having trouble even figuring out what the scandal is no one appears to have made any attempt to retaliate against or punish the whistleblower the complaint just got stuck in bureaucracy and eventually ignored because dhs didnt think it was important

whats more than that the conversation makes biden look worse than trump since no one can argue with a straight face that his failson actually deserved that job so im not sure why the democrats are choosing this of all hills to die on the whole thing is somehow even dumber than russiagate

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i liked this bit

Sean Collins posted:

Hunter Biden joined the board of a Ukrainian company while it was under investigation

The facts of this story begin in April 2014, when Hunter Biden joined the board of a Ukrainian natural gas company named Burisma Holdings, shortly after his business partner in an investment and consulting firm, Devon Archer, came aboard. Although Biden had no apparent expertise in the field, he had helped Burisma previously as a consultant with expertise in dealing with multinational regulations, and he was employed at a law firm retained by Burisma’s owner, former Ukrainian government official Mykola Zlochevsky.

When Biden joined Burisma’s board, both the company and Zlochevsky were already the subject of intense controversy. Zlochevsky had served as a top official for Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych, who was forced out of office in early 2014, in part due to concerns over rampant corruption. Zlochevsky was accused of corruption as well, including for steering large government contracts to companies he owned.

One party investigating these allegations was the United Kingdom, because Zlochevsky had $23 million in a British bank account that UK officials believed has been laundered. Britain’s Serious Fraud Office froze that account, and shortly after Yanukovych left office in February 2014, sent a request to Ukrainian officials for documents it believed would help in prove its case. Following this request, the new Ukrainian government began its own investigation into Zlochevsky, looking into whether he embezzled public money.

In the midst of these troubles, Hunter Biden accepted a Burisma board seat, and was paid for his trouble, sometimes as much as $50,000 per month. It is unclear what he did for the company. Burisma said at the time that Biden — a lawyer — would be “in charge of” a legal unit. Biden told the New York Times in May 2019 that this was incorrect: “At no time was I in charge of the company’s legal affairs.”

he then goes on to call the whole idea that there was anything unusual or corrupt about this a wacky conspiracy theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can someone remind me again how the barr summary was inaccurate because all i remember is the full mueller report had lots of generally meaningless technical bullshit and then mueller went up and said well sure theres stuff you could prosecute on if you really wanted to i guess uh no i dont have any more specific suggestions gotta go