Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is there word on if it's still White Fox? I remember speculation about it going to another studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's still White Fox which is great news. The 2nd season took a bit of an animation dip, but they had both a hectic schedule and covid interferring so I don't hold it against them.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

They also had Studio Bind poaching a rather large amount of their talented staff. Hopefully they've found some good replacements.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well that does not bode well. re:zero was already pretty awkward in its action sequences (my rule of thumb is the shorter a re:zero action sequence is the better it is, which is why the white whale fight kinda blows), hopefully it isn't too much of an issue

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
First book of arc 6 just arrived in the mail so IMO I think it'd be good for them to sit on it a while.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Does the novel only material have tighter resolutions on the arcs? The anime felt like despite having a time loop setup, major problems got resolved mostly by randomly discovering a new powerful resource which immediately makes things almost trivial, rather than much of anything else.

It could be that the adaptation missed including setup for later payoffs, i guess.

Also, i'm not sure our protagonist was intended to be written as being incredibly dense, but conversations like this one

:witch: i want to make a deal with you. Here are the benefits of it for you

:confused: why are you telling me what i would get out of the deal???

Make it really hard to read him any other way. I like comedy stories focused on a dumb guy fumbling his way through fantastical situations (I love NSM), but tonally it feels like it's trying to be taken seriously.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 31, 2023

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Also, i'm not sure our protagonist was intended to be written as being incredibly dense, but conversations like this one

:witch: i want to make a deal with you. Here are the benefits of it for you

:confused: why are you telling me what i would get out of the deal???

Make it really hard to read him any other way. I like comedy stories focused on a dumb guy fumbling his way through fantastical situations (I love NSM), but tonally it feels like it's trying to be taken seriously.

He's a little bit dense, and also operating like 75-80% on pure unbridled hubris.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
As with most fantasy LN genre writing Nagatsuki goes on :words: of seemingly inconsequential worldbuilding that in the interest of pacing gets snipped for the adaptation, but that turn out to in some way foreshadow or contextualize later events. Like just going by the anime you can tell Reinhard is supposed to be some kind of badass, but iirc by this point in the novels it's been well-established he's a loving superman even among the historically renowned inheritors of the Sword Saint title, and if you connect the dots, with it the implication that the Archbishops have only been able to instigate the various incidents so far thanks to their prophetic Gospels guiding them around him.

Subaru scenes are also heavy in internal, quasi-stream of consciousness monologuing plus he's often an unreliable narrator when confused or stressed, which just doesn't translate too well to animation despite White Fox's admirable efforts. For a watcher it'd seem silly that Subaru would still distrust Rem after she loving dies for him when he gets captured by the Cult, but a lot of little things she's done or said up to that point in the arc add up to her currently following Subaru on Roswaal's orders (which turns out, is entirely correct), so combined with his fraying psyche he doesn't know what exactly to make of her until he finally completely breaks down and reaches out in desperation, which she reciprocates by laying down exactly how and why she's got the world's biggest crush on him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tunicate posted:

Does the novel only material have tighter resolutions on the arcs? The anime felt like despite having a time loop setup, major problems got resolved mostly by randomly discovering a new powerful resource which immediately makes things almost trivial, rather than much of anything else. .

I don’t know. I got the opposite feeling, particularly with the White Whale and Witch Cult arcs where the victory really came from new information allowing Subaru to create the coalitions necessary to fight them plus learn their movements to get the drop or manipulate them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlternateNu posted:

I don’t know. I got the opposite feeling, particularly with the White Whale and Witch Cult arcs where the victory really came from new information allowing Subaru to create the coalitions necessary to fight them plus learn their movements to get the drop or manipulate them.
I just got into the series and appreciated that the loop after he gets humiliated doesn't start with him exacting revenge, but actually internalizing the lessons taught from the lumps he got.

Like he's still a bit of a dumbass in other respects, but he's learning some good lessons.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Subaru has a lot of poo poo qualities, but he genuinely wants and tries to be a better person for the sake of his loved ones. And it doesn't take much to become one of his loved ones because he's a very lonely boy who really loving hates himself. Show any amount of trust or confidence in him and he'll literally die for you.

Which is also a character flaw in its own right! But it does make you want to see this dense boy learn to value himself in a healthy way. He's just trying so hard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Subaru scenes are also heavy in internal, quasi-stream of consciousness monologuing plus he's often an unreliable narrator when confused or stressed, which just doesn't translate too well to animation despite White Fox's admirable efforts. For a watcher it'd seem silly that Subaru would still distrust Rem after she loving dies for him when he gets captured by the Cult, but a lot of little things she's done or said up to that point in the arc add up to her currently following Subaru on Roswaal's orders (which turns out, is entirely correct), so combined with his fraying psyche he doesn't know what exactly to make of her until he finally completely breaks down and reaches out in desperation, which she reciprocates by laying down exactly how and why she's got the world's biggest crush on him.

Subaru internal monologuing is probably the most important thing that is (unavoidably) missing from the anime adaptations.

I've actually only read the WN through the end of Arc 4, but part of its impact is dependent on being inside Subaru's head the whole time. The anime still did a great job of adapting it, but reading the WN was still a very different experience.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
how safe are anime only watchers are gonna be in here this season

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

probably pretty safe but not quite as safe as we'd like to be

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GateOfD posted:

how safe are anime only watchers are gonna be in here this season

I will hope safe.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Nobody is safe this season.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Grouchio perished so that is one less threat at least

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

RevolverDivider posted:

Woah it might be safe to lurk in here again!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah they were really the only ones spamming WN spoilers in here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

the whale arc felt like a particularly blatant example of that

loop 1: I have no way to convince any of these people to help me, I am grasping at straws with no resources my disposal at all

final loop: oh by the way I happen to have had these extremely valuable mineral rights in my back pocket the whole time, haha good thing I have these or I could never have convinced anyone of poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tunicate posted:

final loop: oh by the way I happen to have had these extremely valuable mineral rights in my back pocket the whole time, haha good thing I have these or I could never have convinced anyone of poo poo
It does feel like he makes the sincere mistake that if he just explains how someone is in trouble, the candidates will help out because they're nice people.

lol.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
with his outlash at Emilia at the beginning of that story arc, i feel Subaru mentally was at an all-time low, and made a lot of mistakes because of that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In the moment in the anime, Subaru having the mineral rights to trade on the successful alliance pass comes from being completely open with Rem and the two having some off-screen strategic planning rather than him more or less charging in headfirst. With a bit of hindsight, it seems rather likely Roswaal foresaw the need for the trade in his Gospel and instructed Rem not to discuss them until a certain circumstance came up. The original writing was even clearer earlier on that Rem was acting on Roswaal's orders, regardless of how much she likes Subaru - for example, instead of making a case to her on why he should be allowed to assist Emilia at the candidacy ceremony, Subaru just slips out and Rem's a bit annoyed that he'd try to do it secretly because she was already told to by Roswaal to help him get there. His intervention's also a bit different, because it's apparent that Roswaal and Puck set him up to show off to the room how much power Emilia had at her disposal and still wanted to go about the selection in a fair manner rather than force anybody to accept her. So while it is convenient for Subaru to be able to bargain with those, it was at least logically consistent with other portrayals of Roswaal's planning to that point.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The mineral rights were a bit convenient, but work out in the context of foreshadowing how Roswaal was somehow anticipating the successful loops.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Roswaal manipulated the first three arcs and the villains of the first two were acting on his orders.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I’m not a Re;zero reader, I do have a random copy of LN vol 1 but wow that’s a lot of currently existing volumes

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reiche posted:

Woah it might be safe to lurk in here again!
You're lucky I have discord to gush about re:zero in now. :unsmigghh:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

you should stay there.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Tangentially, the author Tappei Nagatsuki is also doing the screenplay for the Suicide Squad Isekai.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1zsxreqvw

Season 3 release date trailer.

Coming out in October.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Hype!

Guess I gotta put a S2 rewatch on the docket.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

trailer looks good, excited to see the princesses actually start fighting each other proper

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

LostRook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1zsxreqvw

Season 3 release date trailer.

Coming out in October.

Man I don’t remember ANYTHING from this series apparently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This arc is better on paper than it is in execution IMO but there are still some moments and developments that I'm looking forward to a lot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I just want to go back to the royal selection conflict, Subaru having to navigate it was cool in season 1 and it was disappointing that it wasn't relevant in s2 at all

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm excited to see more of the sin archbishops, and for more than a couple of episodes