Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

One thing I really appreciated about Season 1 is the brutal takedown of Nice Guys. You spend so much time in Subaru's head that when he breaks down and tries to guilt Emilia about how much he's done and sacrificed for her you kinda go along with it until she stops him stone cold saying that he has created a mental image of an Emilia that doesn't exist because she never asked or wanted him to suffer just for her to be happy. It's such a simple thing but it rings so true for real life when so many people are so desperate to win the affections of someone or make them happy that they don't pause to consider that maybe they don't want you to go through all that trouble and if places them into an unwanted "debt" that demands some level of reciprocation.

The follow up Rem stuff is kinda tonally weird after that since it feels so departed from the reality of how people interact but hey that's anime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I have no idea how you can see Emilia did anything wrong in that situation when from her perspective she was telling off a dude who was going in way too hard for her liking

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't much care for your "looks like you're a sexist" reading into my analysis.

You might not have noticed since Emilia is normally very level headed and caring, but during their exchange Subaru inadvertently hit on three nerves related to deep-seated insecurities of hers, and her reaction to that was anger, and that anger colored the responses that resulted in the discussion ending the way it did.

And you know what? As an outside observer, knowing what I do? I don't really blame her for reacting the way she did, and I actually think it'd be unfair to expect from Emilia the level of emotional maturity that'd have led to that discussion ending much more positively but, objectively speaking, just as Subaru could've done better by just shutting his drat mouth instead of trying to guilt trip a person who genuinely cares for him, Emilia could've also done better by either being more patient or being more honest about what was going on.

I'm not sexist, I just hold women to a standard where they are only emotionally mature when they can control their anger and have infinite patience for men attempting to coerce them via guilt or other emotional manipulation.

Please take a step back and recognize this is an example of how people take female socialization for granted. The entire point of Nice Guys is that this kind of behaviour takes advantage of how women are expected to behave (Subaru is coming on really strong but he did all these great things for me so you know what even though I'm uncomfortable he's still a good guy so I have to look past the way he's being right now and accept how he feels for me). She was 1000% in the right and couldn't have done better because anything else would just be giving in to his behaviour. Whether she knew consciously or not the only way to put an end to Nice Guy behaviour is to give them a hard stop. Any kind of "trying to reason with them" or "accomodate their feelings" just gives them further opening in the future to continue their ways.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

i dont think Evangelion invented genre deconstruction

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Emilia is good because she takes a stand against all the traditional anime protagonist waifu pedestal bullshit so it's all good