Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

the boring answer is probably romulus and remus

We already have old man Rom, don't we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Annointed posted:

I'm curious as to why the Witch of Sloth needed to fight a dragon "over a waterfall" to get some sleep.

Gotta turn off that waterfall.
Can't have carps jumping them up and become dragons all day.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Kung Food posted:

If Subaru has the sloth witch factor now, does that mean he has a choice between time loop or body swap when he dies?

Aren't the unseen hands the sloth witch factor?
Taking over bodies is something else.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Annointed posted:

gently caress just trying to do your best but you're slowly getting worse at everything, and then just giving up gets to me.

Was he really trying his best or did he only think he did? He wasn't used to putting in effort due to talent/getting wrestled by his dad and that simply wasn't enough once he entered middle school. Getting 30 points on a test imply not learning at all, though that might be already because of depression.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RoswalMods knew that this discussion will take place and chose not to end it, just so people can see how derailing it is.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

He has a nickname. It's Valse/Barusu. :colbert:

Why did it take me so long to see that Barusu is an anagram of Subaru?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

so why was garf aggro to hell and back with subaru this time around? why did roswaal's insistence on emilia passing the trial not apply to the last cycle?

Last time, Emilia failed over and over again. Now Subaru offered to do the trial right after.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Armani Glasses posted:

That's the tragedy of it I guess, she doesn't know she's doing a 'bad' thing. It does make me worry Petra and Patrische miiight be done for though.

Did you miss Petra's arm and her body lying under the debris?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I think they mean in the sense that he didn’t get to die and reset everything.

It's awfully early to think he only gets one retry.
He also wanted to check if Rem is alive before dying, which was prevented by landing in the Library.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Donuts != Echidna.

3/10 :colbert:

Edit: I just realized that's a small "tsu". Is her name Echina Dona or something? :psyduck:

Bunny Echidna -> Bunnidna.

Echidna is written Ekidona in kana. The sokuon at the end means it's a glottal stop.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, I can't believe this is a cursed world without pizza, and Subaru focused on making mayo instead LIKE A SCRUB.

Pizza is only yet another mayo delivery system in Japan.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

There was a major thing that was left out of the LN in this episode.

Maybe they rearranged it for the show?
Not really appropriate to post this, since it seems a major mystery.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

But I thought Satella and Emilia were both half-elves. Is Emilia’s father also a half-elf, or has Emilia secretly been a quarter-elf all along?

If she was, wouldn't she have been able to get out of the barrier?

Grouchio posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The burden of knowledge.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Can someone explain the meaning of the episode title? e.g., wtf is a quaint stone? Or is it a quote from somewhere?

It's a quote from the episode itself.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Petelgeuse didn't age gracefully and all this new plot!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

User0015 posted:

I might be the only one, but I didn't understand anything about this episode. I think I've completely lost the plot on this show. Geuse appearing normal, then acting the way he does when he sees emilia doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea what the seal is. I don't know what subaru's gate magic thing is, what happened to it or why he has ghost hands now. I don't know why puck is playing hide and seek. In the last moments of the episode, somebody who I do not recognize at all shows up and talks how every shounen antagonist talks before a fight, but apparently I'm supposed to know who that is and I don't.

I'm watching this show in the same way somebody can finish a book, then fail to recall a single thing they read.

Subaru broke his gate by using Shamak when it wasn't recovered yet, you might recognize the ghost hand from Petelgeuse and the guy at the end of the episode is the Archbishop of Greed, one of the guys who attacked Rem at the beginning of Season 2.

Most should be explained next episode. There is a seal and this seems to be Emilia's village before she got frozen, what do you expect to happen to an ominous seal surrounded by ice?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

User0015 posted:

I thought this was made clear before the fight even started, with Subaru realizing her own sister didn't recognize the name? I should probably just re-watch that scene, because I honestly barely remember it at all, and don't recall why it even exists in the story itself. It's not even the reason they go to the sanctuary, right? It isn't related at all to their purpose inside the sanctuary?

Hahaha, I just realized I don't even remember why they went to the sanctuary at this point. Was it to save Rem? Was it for Emilia?

When they returned from the whale hunt, everybody was gone, chilling out at the sanctuary and now every half-anything is stuck there, including Emilia.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

TBH, I can't remember why they ended up in the Sanctuary either. I think Roswaal and/or Frederica suggested it was a good idea for some reason, but didn't mention it keeping half-humans in?

Officially it was to get the villagers to safety, but it was actually Roswaal's plan to break Subaru and follow the gospel.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Roswaal appears to have manipulated the events of season 1

He pretty much confessed this to Subaru.

It was I, Roswaal!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hogama posted:

For Geuse, Regulus straight up calls him a spirit.

This actually explains the eye reflection thing with both Puck and Geuse. Emilia is just that attuned to spirits and automatically charms them.
I wonder if the spirits guiding her to the seal are yet again actually a higher spirit like Melakuera.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Roswaal sure put heavy emphasis on doing his thing for Echidna for 400 years.

-e-

Nate RFB posted:

Was Hector voiced by Shinichiro Miki? Certainly sounded like him.

It's Jun'ichi Suwabe.

-e2-
Echidna stole Dio's first kiss!

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 17, 2021

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm real confused as to what is going on with Puck. I thought he was gone when her crystal broke

He switched to one of the teleporting gems. He spoke before when Subaru beat Garfiel.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

XboxPants posted:

You know what, in the past I always felt a little annoyed with all the extra plot stuff that seemed to be part of the novelizations, but either cut out completely in the anime or at least glossed over. I felt like by only watching the anime, I was missing out of interesting parts of the story. Like the anime was the stripped down, cliffnotes version.

But, I think I actually LIKE how we lose out on so much from the LN/WN in the anime adaptation. It creates such an excellent "wait what the gently caress is going on" feeling, like there's all this mysterious stuff happening just off screen that's really hard to keep track of... but unlike something like Lost or whatever, all those questions actually do have answers and the threads tie together in a meaningful way. And I can go back and look for little details like what you mention, that I may have missed, and... they'll actually be there!

Like drat this was just such a good episode. The confrontation with Ram and Roswaal was just so drat good.

Also Roswaal's voice actor continues to be a national treasure. :3:

It's the third episode of this cour, 8 minutes in.
Subaru stabs Garfiel with the gem Frederica gave him and Emilia. Garfiel returns to human form and recognizes it as his sister's gem. Subaru then says there might be a really hungry cat inside, and Puck answers that's all he can do to help.

This must be some Mandela effect stuff for you.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

They can add spider isekai in their place for the next season.

Yeah, time for a Tensei Tenkousei.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also they did mention that one of the witches was a vampire and still was killed.

A vain, unlikable, unusually young witch sure sounds familiar no?

Weren't they all killed by Satella?
There also seem to be other witches, they just weren't named after the deadly sins. After all Emilia is the ice witch.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

This is exactly what Puck told Reinhard in Subaru's second trial where he saw all the alternate post-death universes back in s2e12.
Not sure what the significance of that is.

Echidna is subvertly spoilering Emilia, except you don't get a probation when caught.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

I think some people working in the production must be assuming they'll get a season 3, because otherwise it seems weird to introduce the whole "Rem's in a coma" plotline and then spend the rest of the double-length season doing something else.

Comarem was still important for the plot, it's hard to write around that. It would also make things more complicated if they get a third season.
So (I presume) they just followed the LN.

About Echidna: So she had actually brown eyes and a slightly longer face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

LostRook posted:

The description from the LN specifically states that the woman in the coffin is in her mid twenties, and Emilia wonders if she is Echidna's older sister. Echidna in the dream world even states that she died at 19 years of age.

So she's a christmas cake! A 400-year old one on top of that. She probably became a witch because someone called her auntie.