Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

I mean, yeah after Rem's character arc largely finishes in the third Act there isn't that much more for her to do but I disagree that she isn't a fun and interesting character up to that point. For being the secondary love interest who doesn't even get introduced until the second arc, especially, she certainly leaves an impression. I pretty much hate Rem's archtype and I still like her quite a bit as a character.

Though now I do kinda want to stick up a bit for Ram being unappreciated as a character and hopefully Season 2 will change that a smidge.

Anyway, I'd almost given up on a Season 2 so I'm pretty excited, especially because the next arc is easily my favorite, and I daresay that's the consensus opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

e: I havnt read anything so my impression is based solely on the anime, but the issue I have with Ram is that she is too confrontational/one dimensional to be fun and her scenes with Roswaal are just a little on the creepy side

Ram is secretly the gentle, caring, responsible sister. She just expresses that love through constant, biting sarcasm and occasionally violence.

I'm half kidding, but Ram does have a bit more depth as a character than initially meets the eye.

The nice thing is that if Season 2 continues to be popular, the LN should probably be far enough along to allow for a third season relatively quickly. (The first season actually finished slightly ahead of the LN, by comparison.)

As a quick zero-spoiler explanation of the source material for this series, it basically goes like this:

It started as a Web Novel, which went on for 6 arcs, or 5 and a half, depending on how you were counting.

The Web Novel was turned into a LN, which you know, has an actual editor and stuff. This is important because the anime is based primarily on the LN, whereas most people reading the series are referencing the WN, and they are very similar but not identical.

Last I heard, the author decided about a year ago to stop updating the WN, so going forward only the LN will continue the story after it catches up. I believe the LN is currently somewhere late in the fifth arc as of this month.

madmac fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 30, 2019

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The shorts are still available on Crunchyroll, last I checked, though the actual episodes may be region locked now that Funi is putting out the discs.

The OVAs are a bit of a sore spot, they're both theatrical releases (second one doesn't even come out until Oct this year) so they're effectively not available to English fans so far. From what I know, the first OVA is just fun side-story stuff set between Arc 2 and 3, but the second OVA looks like it has a bunch of critical character backstory for Emily, so that could be a problem if it leads straight into Season 2 and no one overseas has seen it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

I believe you're really selling short the complexities of the relationships involved here by both wildly extrapolating from limited information, conflating the situation with one of the classic simplistic solutions for love triangles/harems in fiction, and your own notions regarding polyamory in real life.

And fact is, straight from the author's mouth is that he dislikes harems, so that's not what he was going for with this, either. Case in point is the sentence I spoiler tagged.

I agree.

Also in general Rezero really avoids becoming a big harem, outside of Emily and Rem everyone pretty much has their own weird relationships going on instead of fixating on Subaru.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Also I liked the show, but I never really thought Subaruís character made sense. Why was this shut in the most personable and friendly person in the world?

There's an interesting backstory to Subaru's personality, so I'll just say we'll get into this a lot more in Season 2.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why are you posting huge page long spoiler blocks? Can we stop with the spoilers in the thread? Otherwise I feel like I should just stop reading it.

While I agree with the general sentiment, in this case the "spoilers" are just dialogue from I'm assuming the Web Novel for the scene we just got in the anime to compare how the the new archbishops are potrayed.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

I didn't think we'd get to the witch so fast. Nice Opening though.

Not a spoiler in any way, but even though I have read the WN version of the arc, as I'm sure a lot of people did, from what I understand the Light Novels (which the anime is based on) made some pretty large changes to this arc in particular, to cut down the sheer length of it if nothing else. I never got around to reading the LN version, so a lot of things are going to be surprising to me as well. The whole thing with the stone wasn't in the WN version, for example, though I remember it being mentioned when the LNs first got around to this arc.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Annointed posted:

I'm curious as to why the Witch of Sloth needed to fight a dragon "over a waterfall" to get some sleep.

Shouldn't be fought "over a waterfall" but rather "drove past the waterfall" or in other words established a border of sorts.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

I've always appreciated how normal Subaru's backstory is. He was a good kid, if a little misguided as kids often are. He had good parents who cared about him. He just got a little too wrapped up in his own insecurities until he had put himself into a corner emotionally.

At the same time, even though it's all very normal and understated, it's very easy to see all the bits and pieces that make up his personality. It's really well done, IMO.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Otto is such a good boy.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Did I lose track of portfolios, or was the Lust Witch the only one that didn't elect to make an appearance on the body hot swap carousel?

We haven't met lust or sloth yet.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

A little tidbit from the WN version of this tea party: (Not spoilers, it's just the equivalent of a deleted scene)

In the WN, when Subaru meets Daphne here her blindfold slips and he accidentally looks her in the eye. He becomes so consumed by ravenous hunger that he devours his own arm. (Minerva fixes him again and is even more gumpy about it)

Also, the author confirms (outside the story, a Q&A thing) that Minerva is utterly incapable of harming even a fly. All of her attacks only heal whatever she strikes.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 4, 2020

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is hoping we don't have a four year wait for Arc 5.

Thankfully, it's a different situation.

When the first season aired, the last volume of the third arc came out a few weeks after the anime ended.

I hadn't checked in a while, but it looks like the sixth arc is concluding this month in Japan, so the anime is two arcs behind instead of completely caught up. They might try and pace things out a bit though, just because there is pretty much not anything of substance written for the 7th arc yet, I don't believe. (I stopped following spoilers after the 4th arc, so I don't know the details)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hogama posted:

The first LN volume of Arc 7 is just releasing (not sure if it's a midnight release or whatever but it's out the 25th which is technically now in Japan) but as I'm given to understand with no spoilers, it's pretty much a "prologue" volume. Up until Arc 6 (which took FIVE YEARS to conclude), Tappei's writing pace seems to have been roughly a year per web novel arc starting with Arc 3 (the first two Arcs were mere months but they're also the shortest), but Arc 6 was also the time frame for when the series first got licensed, so there were other concerns vying for attention.

Right, he basically had to hurry up and rewrite the first five arcs for light novel publication before finishing the sixth, so it's really up in the air how fast things are going to move now that the Web Novel and Light Novel are finally equalized.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

Every time he cast magic, it was while holding her hand or carrying her. That's probably got something to do with it.

Speaking of, I was not expecting the solution to the rabbits be trapping all of them in a pocket dimension, where they devour each other endlessly. That's kinda hardcore, but it also means there's gotta be stopping it being an instant win button from now on.

There was a scene from the WN that explains all this as part of the epilogue for this arc, that I honestly thought would be in the episode. I don't know if it's in the LN or not though, but I imagine it's still accurate.

WN/Possibly Deleted Scene Spoiler:

Basically at the end of this arc Betty goes up to Subaru and is like, "Hey it's really cool that we're contracted and all, right? Definitely no regrets?" and then a bit later "See, Betty is kinda...high maintenance for a spirit. I need tons of mana to do my thing. I've been stealing mana here and there for the last 400 years but I kinda blew it all in the big fight, y'know? Normally it's the job of the spirit contractor to supply their spirit with mana, but your gate is broken and you can barely generate any mana anyway, so..."
Subaru: "So basically you're saying you're pretty much useless now"
Betty: "Oopsie!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Thought there was supposed to be an announcement a few days after the last episode aired. Any news for OVAs?

I did some googling and apparently nothing happened at whatever event people were expecting something to happen at.

I can't imagine them not doing a Season 3 at this point, but I'm not holding my breath for announcements either.