Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zetsubou-san posted:

Didn't he tell us that during Otto's Wild Ride (the final Betelgeuse fight) in season 1?

Yah, but its still funny to think that everyone who Subaru meets is some flavour of cultist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HppyCmpr posted:

So, one other thing I noticed is Roswaal saying he went insane 400 years ago when he looked into someone’s eyes. He must be really old, which doesn't really line up with his family passing the land down through generations. I am not sure what the life expectancy is on a powerful magic user though; so maybe it is not odd at all.

I am assuming the eyes he gazed into belong to Echidna since she mentioned something about people going insane when in her presence.
400 years ago was when the world was nearly destroyed, so maybe he was a witness to it; if so then it could have been Satella instead of Echidna.

Edit: I keep spelling Roswaal "Roswell"

Honestly Roswell is probably the most reasonable english spelling for that kind of name.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I'm not sure if its an actual WN spoiler or not but can we not in this thread as if I hit the reply button its possible if I scroll down too much it can reveal the spoiler.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yeah can we continue being careful for us anime only watchers?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I hope people are careful about spoilers because what you write in the spoiler tags aren't spoilered when you make a new post and scroll down before posting.

I will remark that that scene really feels awkward, like it was supposed to have a sort of transition but it just did like a smash cut.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Like this is a perfect example, I have no idea if this is a spoiler for something that happens later, is a web novel spoiler for something that should have happened now but likely was cut, and so on. If it was a big spoiler and I scrolled down that would have sucked.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

I have no idea what you mean by that because in the thread and the post new reply dialog spoiler tags behave the same, and unless you're mouseing over or clicking on them they are hidden.

That didn't use to be the case for me, maybe it depends on what ublocker I had running? It used to be the case for me that I could scroll down and the spoiler tags weren't active.

But in any case the spoilers should really be tagged like Grouchio edited, because WN/production differences are one thing, don't wanna risk things that might inadvertently spoil future content.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I somehow really enjoyed Emilia and Subaru arguing like an old married couple.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Emilia borrowing Subaru's pose at the end was really awesome. Emilia is best girl now, finally.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Loving the look of absolute disgust from Echidna.

I want her to look at me like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yeah everything about that scene was pretty gold.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The VA was pulling in a bit of her Megumin character for that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I was wondering what that was about.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly this episode kinda pulled a lot of stuff out of its rear end.

Subaru suddenly has a bunch of extra magical powers too now that he needs to beat someone who tore dozens of little magical elf girls and even RAM to shreds in a previous life.

This has actually been heavily foreshadowed although admittedly I wish there was more build up to Subaru figuring it out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I was not prepared for today's episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

When Grouchio is off their probe they have some info from the authors episode commentary to provide some clarification about this episodes events.

I think one thing to consider is to remember the Geuse said directly in the episode that he lives a very long time, to the point that the hundreds of years old elf auntie he views as a child. I think it's being strongly hinted these events took place a long time ago.

Speculation: I think Geuss's apparent aging is probably due to whatever drove him mad. I don't think he hid anything or actually has any kind of nefarious intent, I think whatever momentous events are occurring eventually broke him and the prophecy or whatever it is written in the gospel became his refuge and his sanity slipped away.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I feel like, watching a show week to week, unless you're like 100% hardcore into the show, discussion surrounding it, and scrutinizing every detail like Grouchio you're not going to remember everything and that's okay!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Great episode.

Episode spoilers:
Regarding how overpowered Pandora (or possibly Corneas) are, I think for the most part Subaru won't be dealing with them head to head, but probably I imagine he uses hits wits and alliance of allies instead. Although I imagine Pandora isn't an immediate foe, but probably more like a final boss after dealing with the Witch of Envy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Speculation:
Since she's the Witch of Vanity. So her powers must have something to do with how people see themselves or others. Which probables makes it powerful, but also very limited once you figure out the rules, ala Jojo Stands. I also imagine her nature as basically a Fey like being means she probably, much like Echidna, cannot act contrary to her nature, even if it is to her disadvantage and vice versa.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Overlord K posted:

It's really weird to get all this backstory for Geuse after S1 is long since over.

Gonna make the rewatch someday have a lot more weight to that part of it.

More about getting us the audience to recontextualize it and feel sad at the tragedy of it all I imagine, because otherwise Geuse would've been helping Emilia instead.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I fully expect to see the Abridged series make a Seto Kaiba reference with her, where her ability is "Screw the rules I have money" and defeating her requires making her run out of money.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So she's Evil Haruhi?

I prefer to subscribe to the theory that it was Kyon the entire time

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

Oh god. There's an abridged series?

I just assume there is one, I don't actually know!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kung Food posted:

Seeing as her sin is vain glory, i guessing its more "Screw the rules Im sexy."

As an interesting aside and minor nitpick, the Witches aren't exactly what their vices imply as we've already seen! So Pandora's "portfolio" so to speak is also not exactly what it seems at face value just like Wrath, etc. Although Gluttony is about right.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rudoku posted:

And she thinks Emilia's the reason she can't get in on the Subaru train.

I imagine Echidna could easily get on the train as long as she wasn't evil about it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

She is not evil as much as her worldview is incompatible with Subaru's at the end of the day.

Relationships are about compromise

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

They seem to be putting a lot of effort into hiding her eyes, which is really weird since it's not like we don't know what Echidna looks like.

They did it last episode too I think with Subaru, I think there's something specific they're going for.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Same. I suspect the next time Subaru dies it's probably after they've already left the Sanctuary and his save point is to that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pretty cool episode. Feels like we're definitely in the endgame for this arc.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

These episodes feel so short, but they're longer!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

It's interesting how much Subaru's-Emilia's thing parallels itself with other characters.

As a side note Angry Ram is cute

So how exactly was Garfield able to finally overcome Elsa, is there a limit to her regeneration like she can't recover from being splattered?

I wonder what exactly was the significance of the meeting between Wrath and Emilia; my understanding is that Emilia's "real" mother is the Witch of Envy but I wonder why Emilia insisting her "actual" mother was Fortuna was important to Wrath?

And then what exactly went on after Emilia completed the trial, she couldn't seem to see Echidna's body for some reason? Will this be elaborated on later?

Did Gar's sister save The demon beast trainer? Is that on Petra's behalf?

Why is it snowing outside? My understanding is that its Mathers who casts that spell, but didn't Ram and Puck distract him from doing so? Will we find out next episode? I assume we'll have to deal with the Bunny Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail soon!

Last observation being....? I think it was revealed that Mathers cast some kind of spell on Emilia, one to make her more depressed and despondant than she was supposed to be? Is that why she goes a little crazy in some of the bad timelines Subaru gets killed in? And this occurred when exactly, after Subaru and Emilia fought at some point?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can't believe Ram is loving dead.

Hey you're only allowed to make that joke once per season! I'm ON to you sir!

Hogama posted:

Interesting implication that Minerva may be Emilia's actual mother.

Wait was Emilia a half-elf? I think I forgot that detail!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I assume it's due to her being a vampire and having her blood drank by Garfiel when he bit her neck.

Now whether that will also turn him into a vampire or not I don't know.

Hahahaha that would be an interesting development!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hogama posted:

Yeah, that's one of the big things in setting. Being a half-elf is one reason she's been trapped in Sanctuary's barrier, and also one of the things even the common people in the world know about Satella is that she was a half-elf (and looks pretty much exactly like Emilia).

Edit: also for

I think the implication isn't that she can't see Echidna's body - she asks "Who is this?" while they show us everything about the body but the face, so I think the face doesn't look like how we've seen Echidna in all the mindscape scenes.

That would be interesting because In mathers memories/flashbacks they don't show us Echidna's face either.

e: vvvv hahahahaa I ninja'd you!!!!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

How long ago exactly was Satella again?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm pretty sure she didn't kill all of them, just Echidna.

What

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Echidna is the only one who doesn't like her. Literally every other witch who has encountered her in front of the camera has had no ill will toward her.

My reaction was more, "holy poo poo if true!" not "You're crazy!" to be clear.

Although my thinking is Echidna might just be the only one who is still pissed about it because as the avatar of greed she's the one with the most regrets. Wrath is probably fine with it because who lives by the sword dies by the sword. Gluttony's creations were still running around, sloth doesn't care, etc. Plus the fact that Emilia is presumably not the same person as the Witch of Envy, so why get upset at someone who looks just like her? "What are we, humans!?" Etc.

e: I think every Witch we've seen in Echidna's tea party space is presumably someone who has died and were absorbed by Satella, and I'm sure I remember it being stated explicitly that Satella killed and absorbed all the witches.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kazy posted:

Am I the only one who really appreciated Subaru's trying to cause a dust explosion? I was actually wondering why it didn't work.

I too was intrigued by the attempt and also curious why it didn't work!

I assume its because dust explosions maybe aren't as easy to cause as fiction implies, and Subaru probably got his knowledge from examples from fiction In reality I assume you need an enclosed space and the room isn't small enough?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's been 24hrs. I'm gonna stop spoilering yesterday's episode.

We also don't know what dust he was using. It needs to be otherwise combustible material.

Flour works and I assume it was flour since its a mansion that keeps a stocked ladder.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I'm glad Emilia gets to be a character who does stuff now

Hell yeah. Especially as it seems like she's actually like really powerful? Someone needed to step up and protect poor weak Subaru

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

How great was Emilia screaming "LOOK ME IN THE EYES WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOUUUUUU" to the trounced clown?

Bossy Emilia is best.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Goddamnit Grouchio.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

What? Is preficing a Light Novel spoiler with "LN:" not allowed?

I mean it's ambiguous as to whether it means "Additional context from the LN" vs "beware ye who enters here for future plot lays ahead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I wonder how exactly they are going to solve the rabbit problem. They seemed to indicate that they all need to die at once and if you leave any left over they will eventually recover their numbers. I would assume that means some sort of huge explosion that wipes them all out at once and given their nature they are drawn to big mana sources. Does that mean that Puck or someone is going to need to draw them all into one spot and then detonate some sort of bomb there?

My assumption is that at the beginning of next episode: Betty probably blows them up. Or Mathers does if he snaps out of it. Puck is presumably out of action until tomorrow drat you once per day magic items!!!! Those two are pretty much your two options with the pieces we currently know are on the board.