Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Rewatching the first season, and I gotta say I feel Suburu is defined more by envy than by his pride. His inferiority complex and jealousy is what twists his relationship with Emilia, and taints his initial interactions with much of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Ethiser posted:

Beatrice made some pretty questionably comments about Mr. Sloth.

Yawgmoft posted:

Made it sound like she might be an archbishop herself.

Isn't part of the reason people get so freaked out by Suburu carrying around a Gospel because they supposedly mindjack you into becoming a cultist if you read it? Maybe Betelguese was a chill dude before he felt the love?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Huh

Speculation
So Roswaal stans a rival corporeally challenged Witch?

I'm gonna guess that Sanctuary and Trial is all to find a suitable host-body for Echidna to inhabit, and Roswaal planned on it being Emilia but it's gonna end up being Suburu cause he's Witch Catnip for some reason.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Sazabi posted:

I wonder how everyone knows exactly how the witch smells. Did she piss on half the world like a dog or cat marking their territory?

I think spirits and (certain/all?)demi-humans can smell magic, and if they've had a run in with Satella/Cultists recall the scent, and react accordingly. Has Emilia ever commented on it, maybe she is too polite?

On this episode given Beatrice's demeanor I interpreted it as she was acting on conditions of past contracts she'd made. Considering that when she made a contract with Suburu she ended up exploding her house, she wouldn't appear well versed in the finer points of contract bargaining.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

My speculation on Sanctuary is that it is a honey pot trap to find a host for Echidna's soul. Sanctuary allows entry and traps those with baseline potential, and the trials are Echidna rummaging through your memories and taking you for a test drive.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Roswaal's comment about being fine with murder/death as long as an alternate him can potentially fulfill his longterm goals, made me think, there is no reason that any "bad" timeline would end with Suburu's death, maybe they're chugging along empowering Satella as Suburu fumbles about trying to find the "good" universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

I see it as Genuinely liking Suburu is a completely separate matter from not understanding his suffering as bad, because he can learn and experience what no-one else can via "Return by Death" ISN'T THAT AMAZING?