Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Is Subaru dying to the thugs in they alley something we ever actually saw in the show before?
Yes, it was the third loop where he calls Emilia Satella from the get-go and pisses her off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/PAriPMU.mp4

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

doomisland posted:

Someone remind me why hes infatuated with Emilia
He has a thing for silver-haired elves as seen in his pre-isekai room, and she was the first person in his new world he met that helped him out. He only really fell for her over the course of the first loop when he saw that she was truly kind person to everyone (well, at least another random stray child), and then after seeing her die to Elsa he resolved to save her. It's not like he really had any other goals in mind.

Then it's mostly a matter of continuing to interact with her through loops, I suppose.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Second pretty girl who was nice to him killed him first.
Well he does have lovely guts.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/edomonogatari/status/1308984773453516800

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'd guess it would depend on your intention of a "single timeline" edit, really. If it's to show how he'd look to an outside observer, I'd be inclined to keep all of the tea parties out of it, since nobody alive except Subaru and Satella would know about them. If you included Echidna in that, she can call up all his memories so she'd know all the other timelines anyway, which kind of defeats the purpose of an edit. Though if you want everything Subaru experiences only on the true timeline, that's already got at least the first tea party (which was before the first trial, which was before the checkpoint), so it would be kind of a weird disappearance of Echidna if the other two aren't able to make it in the true timeline as well, especially since that's the one Subaru's supposed to forget it until he's allowed to remember during a failed loop (which would get cut). The latter kind of edit I might think you'd at least want the rest of the parties (though you probably wouldn't know what the deal with the handkerchief is unless he uses it again sometime later).

My personal preference is a "living outside observer" edit for maximum "this is what Subaru looks like to everyone around him."

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIvzRhX1Ruc

Last Episode Preview before the break!

PV Skit posted:

Subaru: Behold an unthinkable present.
Roswaal: Welcome home, Suba-tan. Do you want dinner? Or before that, to take a bath? Or you want to~ sleep with me? Uhu...
Subaru: Yeah, that is definitely an unthinkable present but I don't mean that!
Roswaal: Ohh~ Suba-tan is a pervert...

Subaru: Behold an unthinkable present!!!
Ram: Welcome home, Barusu! Urgent: please prepare dinner at once. Menu? Oh, right. I want something with high-end beef, at least 3000 yen / gram. Oh, please prepare the bath as well. You can keep the water flowing.
Subaru: Well~ that is somewhat thinkable though. But also not that!

Emilia: Welcome home, Subaru.
Subaru: Yes! Yes! This one! This is the unthinkable Emilia scene that I have not seen with my eyes, please show me now Emilia-tan.
Emilia: Can you not talk to me so casually?! You haven't paid the Emilia-tan tax for this month. That kind of sloppy behavior, what kind of human being are you?
Subaru: NOT THAT!!!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Maaaaaan. That doesn't feel like a stopping point for a split cour at all!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's a Web Novel discussion thread over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933147 if you want to talk with somebody.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New PV with new song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG68UqKqYq0

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
And now there's a proper PV for the next episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqukP3hf474
In the vocal skit, Minerva relates to Typhon her terrifying story of accidentally walking in on Echidna and Sekhmet playing ping-pong.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

From the end of the first season, for illustration's purpose.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Lotta interesting implications this episode.

For old Sanctuary, we see Beatrice is older than the Ryuzus, Echidna was in fact just living normally, and the earlier generation Roswaal... didn't have the heterochromia, I suppose.
For Geuse, Regulus straight up calls him a spirit. So that's probably your mystery solved of why he's so long-lived and how he was able to body-hop rolled up right there - he's wasn't mortal even before he took in the Sloth Witch Factor. He was apparently doing whatever he'd been doing for Flugel - a name we haven't heard in a while, being the guy who planted that giant tree that got blown up to help defeat the White Whale.
For the other new arrival, Pandora being the Witch of Vanity means we've likely got more sins in play. Vanagloria (also known as Vainglory or Vanity) and Tristitia (sorrow, melancholy, etc.) were two of the original "evil thoughts" before they were basically rolled into Pride and Sloth respectively by Pope Gregory I (who also, curiously, made Envy its own category at the same time), but given that we've already met the Witch of Pride, I'm sure it's a deliberate delineation here.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Annointed posted:

I uh This Pandora girl is unstoppable. She seems to be immortal, ignores literally being obliterated by Regulus and can just seem to straight up rewrite reality by just saying it. That does not seem to be something even Subaru can beat. I doubt Reinhardt can even oppose something as op as "I can do whatever I want."
I think she's got some unstated limits we're not privy to. I mean, I assume she wouldn't even need someone to bring her the means to lift the seal if she could just reality warp it into being. But whatever limitations she may have, she's at least ridiculously difficult if not impossible to defeat outright.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Then again, it makes me wonder how Subaru was able to deal the final blow by basically just lighting him on fire if he's really just a spirit.
Thinking on this, I think part of the whole issue is that (including Frozen Bond points - we've already had a scene from it in the show at this point) we don't know much of the metaphysics of spirits in this world. The lesser spirits seem to be all firefly-esque motes, but waaaaaay back in the first episode, Emilia said they can eventually gain enough power, experience, and self-awareness to become full-fledged spirits like Puck. Even then, though, the examples we've seen of greater spirits don't really seem to conform to a particular set of rules. Puck is a size-changing feline that's also the Beast of the End who spends a lot of time asleep and incorporeal in crystals. Beatrice has had the form of a young girl for at least as long as we've known she's existed and there's never been any indication that she can change shape or go incorporeal (except by dying). Melakuera, the former Great Spirit of Fire, generally didn't have a corporeal body and favored manifestations of a fiery horse, but did possess a human (the other minor antagonist of the story) for a time. Assuming Geuse is indeed a spirit still doesn't really define how he "works." So far we can only go by what we see: he's able to move his consciousness between bodies and assume host control, and he can keep a body animated past what would normally be fatal injuries (when he's forced back into his original body to chase Subaru and Otto at the end). We never see him NOT in a body though, and he doesn't seem able to just take over anybody (even if Subaru is susceptible) - so running with this, he might be a Spirit that requires a host to survive. When he gets burned and crushed all his Fingers are already disposed of and the only apparent nearby suitable host is Subaru who's just had Satella personally reject Geuse, so in the end it might be that he died because his host was completely ruined and he didn't have a spare to shunt off to. That does bring up the question of how he got his FIRST host body in this scenario, but maybe that's related to why he owes Flugel a debt and/or maybe he was once a lesser spirit that became a spirit after possessing a body to begin with?

Admittedly, back when Puck killed him in one of the failed timelines, Geuse was outraged that "a mere spirit" was killing him and Puck was mad about him being a mere human that's only lived a few decades , so it's not like my speculation is airtight. Maybe in his madness he doesn't see himself as a spirit anymore? I dunno.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Modern-day Roswaal is essentially wearing the same garb as Hector, except with a more colorful palette and some extra flair. Also, hey, there you go, Melancholy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_3AclV5CVI

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Interesting implication that Minerva may be Emilia's actual mother.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait was Emilia a half-elf? I think I forgot that detail!
Yeah, that's one of the big things in setting. Being a half-elf is one reason she's been trapped in Sanctuary's barrier, and also one of the things even the common people in the world know about Satella is that she was a half-elf (and looks pretty much exactly like Emilia).

Edit: also for

Raenir Salazar posted:

And then what exactly went on after Emilia completed the trial, she couldn't seem to see Echidna's body for some reason? Will this be elaborated on later?
I think the implication isn't that she can't see Echidna's body - she asks "Who is this?" while they show us everything about the body but the face, so I think the face doesn't look like how we've seen Echidna in all the mindscape scenes.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 10, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Great Calamity was 400 years ago.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, I don't know if CAN'T is the appropriate word for the series, given that the circumstances of Emilia's parents has yet to be cleared up. We only know that she was in Fortuna's care and that her brother was supposedly the father.
It would seem UNLIKELY given the timeline, but even Fortuna wondered about how Emilia learned some of the outdated language she uses, and that was 100 years ago...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

That was the densest loving episode, plot-wise. :psyduck:
In order of speakers as confirmed by voice actors in the credits (from their first words, because there's overlapping voices):
1. Emilia: "I hate you. I hate you. I hate you so much. Since the day I met you, I've hated you so much, I can't bear it."
2. Subaru (angrily/mockingly): "You're a hero. A hero is all you can be."
Reinhard: "I..."
Subaru: "Thanks for the help!"

3. Wilhelm: "...you cannot even wield the sword without it, thief?!"
4. Petra: "Subaru, I know you and Emilia-neesama are both tired. I'm sorry. And yet I ended up just weighing you down further... I'm sorry."
5. Rom: "My precious granddaughter has grown into such a fine young lady, no?"
6. Otto: "If that's the case, I should've just been wrapped up in that cave and left for dead!"
7. Al: "I'm sorry I couldn't kill you."
8. Crusch: "Under no circumstances shall I be killed by something as nonsensical as a curse!"
9. Priscilla: "There, you see? I win again."
10. Ram: "To think someone I wanted to kill so badly turned out to be a kind person. What a nightmare."
11. Julius: "If I bend my knee and lose my sword, what is left for me?"
12. Anastasia (crying): "What's so hard about sayin' 'I don't want to be alone'?"
13. Garfiel: "I'm gonna kill you just like I promised, Natsuki Subaru!"
14. Roswaal: "I made the realization that I have not walked alone all this time, that is all."
15. Frederica: "I suppose we must shed every last drop of blood in our bodies to atone."
16. Felt: "You can just stand there running in place! Magic, dragons, whatever stands in my way, I'll destroy it!"
17. Felix/Ferris: "Why won't the soul take hold?!"
18. Rem: "I believe praying to ask for a favor is arrogant. Prayer should be for seeking forgiveness."

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For what it's worth, Tappei said during a livetweet in the middle of the episode airing that none of the lines have been spoken in the novel as of now, and currently the web novel has just started the seventh arc (we're still in the fourth in the anime).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

dipwood posted:

The biggest revelation is that Garf is an avid reader.
It kind of makes sense with all the idioms he throws around.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

madmac posted:

They might try and pace things out a bit though, just because there is pretty much not anything of substance written for the 7th arc yet, I don't believe. (I stopped following spoilers after the 4th arc, so I don't know the details)
The first LN volume of Arc 7 is just releasing (not sure if it's a midnight release or whatever but it's out the 25th which is technically now in Japan) but as I'm given to understand with no spoilers, it's pretty much a "prologue" volume. Up until Arc 6 (which took FIVE YEARS to conclude), Tappei's writing pace seems to have been roughly a year per web novel arc starting with Arc 3 (the first two Arcs were mere months but they're also the shortest), but Arc 6 was also the time frame for when the series first got licensed, so there were other concerns vying for attention.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

About Echidna: So she had actually brown eyes and a slightly longer face?
It looks like what what was being deliberately hidden is that she doesn't look entirely UNLIKE Dream Echidna, but more like a relative instead of the same person. Whatever that may mean.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The biggest Director's Cut change (beyond the bit they used from the first episode of season 2) was the Subaru v. Julius fight getting some major redraws. Pretty much everything else was small stuff you'd never really notice without a stopwatch comparison (these cuts linger for fractions of a second longer over the broadcast!, etc.) Well, that, and actually getting to play the OP/EDs more often.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah wasn't there like cut content that would've been relevant for the current season? It's weird to not add that stuff back in.
Here's some stuff that was cut (:siren: spoiler content warning: things from the first four arcs - it's possible the anime will bring some of this back for more immediate context if it continues in the future, but otherwise these are things a reader could be aware of by this point in the story:siren:).

Firstly, going back to S1, we missed out on some Al development: he was also summoned to the world from Japan, 18 years earlier than Subaru. Priscilla knows about this story, and says there's been claims of people coming from "beyond the Great Waterfall" (the world is known to be a flat plane, surrounded by water on all sides that falls off into void - the Great Waterfall, in other words), and although these claims are usually lies she believes that Al and Subaru are genuinely different from other claimants.

He also, for uncertain reasons, mistakes Rem for Ram (he'd met the latter off-screen during the first arc), and then gets very upset upon hearing that both Rem and Ram are alive. He doesn't take any hostile action but does ask Subaru and Rem to leave, and when they're gone he reflects that he's "disgusted" about this new information.

We also had some truncated Rem and Subaru scenes: before the battle with the White Whale, Subaru admits to her over their conversation that even though he loves Emilia, his heart feels a flutter at Rem's presence. After the fight, Rem pretends to be grievously wounded to get Subaru to admit out loud that he loves her (daisuki) and wants her by his side and no one else's. This is what prompts Rem to say "proposal accepted." This is perhaps still all implicit in the anime, so maybe not the biggest cut, but him openly acknowledging that he loves both informs a lot of further development of the series (it's why he was so nervous on the carriage talking to Emilia, after all, and relevant to why Rem is part of his trials, and why Carmilla appears as her when she's trying to keep him from killing himself during the second trial - not to mention being a constant concern about the mansion situation).

A bit on Wilhelm (technically S1 and S2, but it's mostly confined to the arc 3 epilogue): He's been suffering silently because an old shoulder wound of his has reopened. It's the result of an injury inflicted by someone with a certain Divine Blessing - it can never fully heal, and the closer that person is geographically to their victim, the more the wound reopens. He reveals to Subaru that the one who gave him this wound was the former Sword Saint - Theresia van Astrea, his wife. The reason he wants to keep the alliance between Crusch and Emilia's camps going is because he needs to investigate the Witch Cult more to find out how this is possible.

Some Satella (both S1 and S2): After a late death in arc 3, he says that he loves Satella while he's between death and returning to his checkpoint. When she interrupts the last tea party, all the other witches besides Echidna are relieved that it's Satella visiting because they make a distinction between her and the Witch of Envy. Echidna doesn't believe in that division.

Some other witch stuff in S2: After Subaru's gone, they wonder amongst themselves if he could be a sage candidate. Mostly as an open question since they don't elaborate much on what that entails.

The video game that recently came out (on Switch, PS4, and Steam) actually mentions some of these threads the anime skipped as well, so I'd suppose some forewarning on that if you're interested in checking it out in the near future.
Again, the anime could very well touch on these as they become more relevant in the Light Novel - it feels like White Fox has been somewhat conservative on foreshadowing details in the event the anime doesn't get picked up for further seasons.

I'll note for myself that I have yet to finish reading Arc 4 or even start Arc 5 and beyond because I was waiting for the anime to finish and to see if there's any announcements coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In the moment in the anime, Subaru having the mineral rights to trade on the successful alliance pass comes from being completely open with Rem and the two having some off-screen strategic planning rather than him more or less charging in headfirst. With a bit of hindsight, it seems rather likely Roswaal foresaw the need for the trade in his Gospel and instructed Rem not to discuss them until a certain circumstance came up. The original writing was even clearer earlier on that Rem was acting on Roswaal's orders, regardless of how much she likes Subaru - for example, instead of making a case to her on why he should be allowed to assist Emilia at the candidacy ceremony, Subaru just slips out and Rem's a bit annoyed that he'd try to do it secretly because she was already told to by Roswaal to help him get there. His intervention's also a bit different, because it's apparent that Roswaal and Puck set him up to show off to the room how much power Emilia had at her disposal and still wanted to go about the selection in a fair manner rather than force anybody to accept her. So while it is convenient for Subaru to be able to bargain with those, it was at least logically consistent with other portrayals of Roswaal's planning to that point.