Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I finished the first season recently through watching the dub on Crunchyroll. I had it on in the background some of the time so I might have missed this, but does it ever explain, in that season or potentially a later one, why Emilia gives Subaru the witch’s name as hers the first time they met?

Also I liked the show, but I never really thought Subaru’s character made sense. Why was this shut in the most personable and friendly person in the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Beatrice made some pretty questionably comments about Mr. Sloth.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

Did you miss Petra's arm and her body lying under the debris?

I think they mean in the sense that he didn’t get to die and reset everything.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Garfiel Was lying the whole time about the witches' smell. It's just an excuse to stop him for whatever reason. Otherwise he would've become hostile the moment Subaru left the tomb this episode. And considering that Garfiel once took the trial and (apparently) failed, he obtains deeeeep envy and distrust of Subaru every loop that Subaru mentions he passed the trial (like in the prison loop).

Wait what, why do you say he was lying? He mentions the smell at the end of this episode and is obviously suspect of Subaru since he's keeping tabs on him after the trial. It seemed like his crying just threw him for a loop so he didn't do anything actively hostile. Is this coming from some source outside the anime?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Grouchio posted:

If he actually had the ability to detect the witches' scent he would've gone hostile/suspicious the moment he got a whiff, regardless of the situation. Instead he acted all buddy buddy because it looked like Subaru bitched out of the trial like he once did.

That's just not how I'm interpreting the situation since to me it did seem like he has always been suspicious of Subaru and continued to be so this entire episode.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Garfiel is truly a cat in that he’s arbitrarily either a dick or your best friend.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also there’s kind of a weird implication that as time continues to pass they could end up with infinite Ryuzu’s since they seem to just continue to automatically be produced regardless of inputs and don’t die of natural causes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I honestly have no idea what he is going to do to get past any of this. It’s not like he’s solving problems and encountering new ones. He just keeps finding new and exciting ways in which he is screwed.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 16, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I don't have a problem with him considering the contract, but that he doesn't seem to actually put much of any thought at all into what his end of the deal would be.

Like its a bit of jarring writing to have right after the scene where he sees through the fake Rem.

It really seems like if he had just really hashed out what the contract would entail and negotiated the terms some he could have come out okay. Though I’m honestly not 100% sure what his side of the deal was. Was she going to take control of his body or just ask him to mess around in some of the loops and maybe do some unsavory stuff? Though saying you’re going to get the best ending seems to necessitate also taking the best path. Like if he has to torture his friends or something evil to get the “best ending” then that’s probably not the best ending.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I appreciate Subaru having the revelation that he should care about himself and not think that he should bear all the suffering in the world on his shoulders and then immediately caving on that as soon as Roswaal pushes back on that a little.

Also for real Subaru you really need to be more inquisitive about things. If you asked those witches somethings about why things in the world are the way they are I'm sure that knowledge would have helped you in the future.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

Petelgeuse didn't age gracefully and all this new plot!

I think that is the real lesson here: Witch magic, not even once.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was a nice flashback, but it would have been nice if it actually explained anything that occurred in it.

I wonder if Echinda and Pandora are related in any way. I think they are the only characters who have those insanely bushy eyelashes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Did the anime just leave out any explanation for why Emilia was raised the way she was, or is that something not revealed until later in the story? It feels like she has a real case of the Subarus where she doesn’t try to gain any useful understanding about the world around her or her place in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don’t need her to pull out a list of prepared questions for Echidna, I just wanted to see some indication that she thinks her past could be important and that she should figure part of it out so her new family isn’t all murdered in the same way.