Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm unreasonably excited and happy about that PV being released. I'm really tempted to read the VN now that people have mentioned it's actually different than the show, but probably not until after the second season is done now that I know it's happening in the future for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Subaru has always had multiple chances iirc. Unless you're talking about a future arc in which case you shouldn't spoil by even hinting at future developments.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I really liked all of the arcs.

I liked arc 1 for the confusion and the 'what's happening'.

Arc 2 has an amazing hook and is a wonderful little unique mystery setup.

Arc 3 has the most character interaction and growth, where the main character gets owned. He also starts to accept his situation as real life and acts as if dealing with real people where before he sort of though he was a super hero or something.

Arc 4 is basically a continuation of Arc 3, I do like it. It has some of the most interesting shots like Subaru walking towards the mansion and freezing to death. It also opens information about the antagonists, the witches cult, because before that everyone kinda knew Subaru was pinging them as a bad guy, but now we know what those bad guys are like.

Basically, I think the author reveals an appropriate amount of world building and character interactions where the pacing feels incredibly nice.

Defeating the sky whale was very rewarding for Subaru but like... I've never really seen a character taken down so many notches before, and he literally admits that he wants to give up before Rem intervenes. They kinda have to give him something to feel kinda good about, though some of the respect is probably unearned considering how he'd been acting just a few 'days' earlier in their time.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I like the slowly dawning re-contextualization where Subaru is like 'oh cool I have powers of darkness and a mysterious aura' isn't that edgy? To us understanding in universe Subaru actually smells like Satan and all his mana theming makes him seem like some nascent dark lord.

E: and also the other faction is willing and totally ready to accept him as a dark lord.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 30, 2019

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Do not talk about or hint to the contents of anything not season one!

Even acknowledging certain things over other things gives people implications and we don't want to know because we haven't read the source material!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I think Emilia was patient enough with Subaru considering she just embarrassed her in front of every one she's trying to impress to literally become queen and he has the status of kitchen aid at the time when he does acts up. She was right and he was being a fool. lol.

It solves him being possessive of her over a period of two weeks that comes off as overly complicated and with no clear motivation which can be creepy from a relationship standpoint. :sever:

There's a reason why Subaru needs to atone to everyone and Emilia doesn't have to do anything to atone or ask for forgiveness. (she didn't do anything wrong)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

LostRook posted:

So is Satella the half-elf n-word?

LostRook posted:

When you're so afraid of sexism that you say someone is completely in the wrong for calling out racism.

:henget:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

3. There are rumors that Season 2 may come out as early as January 2020!

:pusheen:

thank you for good tidings on this hallowed day

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hogama posted:

Probably worth posting here, too.
S2 in April, S1 re-airs starting in January with an additional epilogue after the final episode.

I am HYPE

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Yeah you aren't supposed to like subaru, you are generally supposed to be interested in the world and the mystery and the characters subaru meets. To be clear, the show wants you to think he's an overconfident jackass in over his head. Your reading isn't wrong.

But yeah do what you want. I think you really need to get through the first 2 arcs and the act 1 of arc 3 to really reap the rewards of a lot of the early characterization.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

okay, i am watching the directors cut now that it's all out.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

is that satellla??????!!?! in the s2 promo///.? ( don't tell me i like wildly speculating)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

WOW................................................... I got negligent in my duties to catching up. Now the eve of the new season is upon us. Well, I know what I'm doing today. Thanks for the heads up Grouchio.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

So much good Felix content... That heart wrenching cry! I am officially caught up, and now having been caught up I just realized I was spoiled to this twist and didn't notice really until the reveal, which undercut some of the shock.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have no doubts Subaru is Pride. I have a lot of doubts over why and how Subaru is Pride. Unlike the rest of the Witch Cultists, he has absolutely no idea of his role or of how he got into it in the first place, he was seemingly dragged in by Satella despite not being devoted to her or even knowing of her existence, much less of her cult.

Well, they mention in s1 that the way cultists are recruited is fairly mysterious and mind controly?

Like apparently a book shows up on your doorstep or in the mail and suddenly you've got meetup times and are a full member. I think satella is just waiting for the right time to activate subaru for him to give emilia his ordeal.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Crusch backing the alliance with Emilia despite losing her memory and risking future danger to herself was such a good moment especially as it reminded Felix of how strong she is and why Felix cares for her and is backing her in in the first place.

In my rewatch of the series via the directors cut earlier in the year Crusch and Felix were the two characters who I ending up liking a lot more compared to when I first watched so I'm glad they got more spotlight in this episode.

I love how selfish felix gets trying to protect crusch! it's so sweet......................

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

That Subaru even has a connection to pride is something that i didn't have any real reason to suspect and is why I won't read this thread and more.

Another epic troll by Nat 20.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Personally, I am here to deliver and read reactions and speculations based on the most recently aired season 2 episode.

Nitrousoxide posted:

B: Who are spoiler discussions for in this thread? Are we just going to have page long discussions that are blacked out spoiler text?

if you want to have a discussion about things that haven't come up yet in the anime can you just make a light novel thread and discuss in there?

This is probably for the best! I don't think it's wrong to discuss things you like, but there are a bunch of people who literally just want to watch the show as it comes out.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Beatrice made some pretty questionably comments about Mr. Sloth.

Ai. ai. ai! ai! ai! ai!

I wonder what kind of relationship they had in the past...?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

DMS!!!!!!!!!!!

Dad Major Strong!!!

Clarste posted:

I'm sure he'll stop to listen after a few deaths when he starts to remember this happening and also needs more clues.

God forbid if he is remotely curious about witches and the witch cult and sloth. He has a one track mind.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Suburu is going to go collecting all seven witch factors. Calling it now

Factor.... Control!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Echidna is the "Mother of Monsters" from Greek mythology, responsible for creating horrors that terrorized the world (usually until gods or heroes killed them). Naming the marsupial after her was, I'm pretty sure, an ironic choice.

This explains knuckles all too well now....

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I think it's pretty clear they're taking a sympathetic turn with the witches judging by her tea party, and roswaal's opinion of the witch of greed.

I think we may find out that the witches are people but they've been mostly defined by the effects of the last surviving witch who tried to destroy the world and killed the rest.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Kazy posted:

I wonder what the end will be. Will he have to choose between the new world and the old? Will he even try to go back? Or maybe he will find a way to keep in touch. Though considering everything "his parents will never know and think he is dead forever" might be what it sticks to.

That would make me sad...

God this episode is triggering anxiety... Subaru's panic attacks kill me. But also I'm jealous because 3 months of your high school life is nothing compared to the time I've wasted...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

My favourite character is back! :swoon:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like it's been very strongly hinted at and is pretty obvious but I don't think they explicitly did so; I know Subaru taunted Betelgeuse a bit about it but not in a super explicit way.

I mean.... in the anime Betelgeuse possesses Subaru... Subaru taunts him and says the witch likes him better. Then he summons the witches punishment by attempting to break the rules. The witch comes to squeeze Subaru and pushes out Betelgeuse. Betelgeuse cries because the witch that he loved so much scorned him, and he was unloved.

Presumably Betelgeuse would know better if that was actually the witch's spirit or whatever, even if Subaru, and everyone who says Subaru smells like the witch of envy is wrong.

That coupled with the fact that the scent of the witch is something tied to specifically Satella, witch of envy's cult. Not any other mysterious witches. All the other witches are long gone by this point, and it's also heavily implied that the world is skewed to view everything witch like through the lens of Satella's attempt to destroy the world as a witch.

It's seems reasonably sure that the scent of the witch is the direct result of Satella magic, Satella cult, or Satella relics and not other witches. Because of it's close ties to the cult in this world.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Can someone photoshop PTSD Emilia next to PTSD Subaru in bed?

Lol...

I was actually really happy Emilia is relying on him now...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Someone mentioned earlier that it was on par with what Roswaal was doing, I just wanted to mention that it isn't quiet on par with Roswaal to be honest.

Emilia, as far as we know, does want to undergo the trial. She wants to grow as a person, and become queen of the land. Rem and Ram are just kind of doing their jobs, and it sucks when they're ordered into a situation that will probably result in their deaths. The villagers are just trying to live their lives and trust in their lord to keep them safe, so it sucks when their lord purposefully puts them in a dangerous situation so that Emilia can prove herself.

Like, Subaru is pushing her but he's pushing her to succeed in the sense that he's supporting her decision. Roswaal put a bunch of people at risk, people we saw would die if Subaru didn't have special powers, as a political gambit.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

This should be fairly easy to understand because it's not morally complex.

Let's say you absolutely know that an avalanche is imminent and going to crush a village living under the mountain and choose not to warn them of their imminent danger. If they are harmed by the avalanche collapsing on them you should bear some of the responsibility for the tragedy. For not warning the villagers and doing something very small to help them evacuate in time.

You may not have caused an avalanche to fall on them. But you chose not to help people you could have easily helped.

Roswaal didn't personally send the witches cult to murder the villagers. But he knew and chose to not act on the knowledge and prepare the villagers to deal with the cult in any way.

Roswaal's choice to not act in the way to ensure the well being of the villagers reveals something of his moral character. He gets them all killed in like 5/6 worlds.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

lol, I wanted to post nice avatar post combo too.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

We are hitting peak intrigue fairly early on so that's good.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

wouldn't mom just be greed in that case? also i just realized those are butterflies in her eyes because that's greed's visual motif lol

Mom can't be her own archbishop if she's satella.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

this is enjoyable, thank u

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

lol, that fan art was cute anyways so it is fine.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I screen capped a bunch of echidna faces cause they were so good. Including...:

So cute..... She's kind of shocked and awkward because she's very used to people fearing her I think. I bet that she only made him forget about her because she was worried he'd hate having met her. I hope she really does turn out to be nice and not have a deeper darker motivation. :ohdear:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

i do think it's awesome that one of the main difficulties subes is having is that: he's dealing with someone who's fickle and acts dramatically based on gut reads of subes

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

pure speculation:

but

Emilia has to be the actual witch of envy, satella doesn't she? GOD. Satella's unconditional love can only be explained by natuski subaru's seemingly unconditional love and skill at saving Emilia and it's the kind of thing that totally re-contextualizes their first meeting in the first death where she tells him her name is Satella. Its a causality loop and we know its possible because return by death exists. :tinfoil:

Also lol! The after credits is kind of foreshadowed by him not caring about the tome of truths being a better witch grimoire but also being weird about everything and supporting a half elf that looks like Satella but I wonder what his justifications are and how this will effect his relationship with RAM and REM in the future.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

doomisland posted:

subaru the simp

:emptyquote:

MonsterEnvy posted:

We saw Emilia get killed by the witch of Envy. The Witch Cultists led by Betelguese expressed interest in using her as a vessel for the Witch. So I don't think they are the same being

The characters are all flawed and exist with imperfect knowledge of the witch, so there's still wiggleroom I think.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

suburu's real popular today

and goddammit Roswell, acting all cool and poo poo as you sink into inky nothingness while spouting the most infuriating line that's come out of your smug mouth yet

get good son!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

XboxPants posted:

The way you talk about these witches sounds a LOOOT like Umineko witches. Somewhere in that direction?

in the re:zero universe witches are real. They do stuff and kill people.

in umineko witches aren't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

the resolution to fickle garfield is a little wack but w/e I get that its a personality conflict more than anything and subs found the right way to manage it.

I also didn't get the translation of those lil gals taunting subs too wrt garfield's lover... but whatever. This is kind of dragging, on but despite all the unanswered questions I hope this is the solution life. (It probably will have a climax and a twist and another climax but...)