Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nitrousoxide posted:

It is pretty hosed up that he keeps shoving her back into the gauntlet over and over when she clearly can't handle it.

Yeah, he's kinda lost touch with struggling after his many painful deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, it's more like Subaru's being an extremely out of touch parent who means well but is ultimately probably being quite harmful but doesn't see it, and is just so gosh darned proud that the kid's trying.

Roswaal knew that Hans Gruber was going to gatecrash the Christmas party at Nakatomi Plaza and left his kids there so they could make the news and become celebs. Maybe a bit of character building too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Roswaal's actions for an IRL comparison is the famous example of Churchill infamously deciding to let Coventry be bombed by the Germans instead of risking informing them that they had cracked the enigma.

Not really? That comparison would only make sense if he knew due to having spies in the Witch Cult and he didn't want to blow their cover.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yep, this is definitely Re Zero. gently caress being Subaru.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm calling something here.

Tome of Wisdom that knows the future? Roswaal has a secret territory that just so happens to include the grave of Echidna? They're a badass supermage? Beatrice lives in a secret library - a font of knowledge? Echidna's all about being greedy for knowledge? Roswaal's family serves Echidna, Beatrice was created by Echidna, and the Sanctuary was intended only to let humans in and keep Satella out but oops it accidentally hit demihumans too. Echidna directly controls the trials. I do not know why they don't like Emilia. Maybe just to force Subaru to learn about the Echidna faction, which she really wants him to join.

Just speculation, but I think it's pretty well supported so far. Really want to learn more about Gospels and Witch Factors though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Everyone hates Emelia because Satella looks just like her.

The general people hate her because half-elves look like the witches right? I doubt most people have straight up seen a picture of Satella themselves. But uh, if that's accurate, that does explain Echidna using the trials to screw with Emilia.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah but, so does Echidna. Echidna just looks like evil Emilia with white extra bushy eyelashes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Echidna is a pale silver-haired human with dark eyes.

See, I thought witches were their own thing, neither humans or half-elves or whatever, and the discrimination against Emilia was because half-elves looked like them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hogama posted:

I'm fairly certain Envy's shown up because Subaru was talking about Return by Death so freely. There wasn't a hint of her stopping him while he was at the tea party, but that seems to be some kind of soul/mind dimension where she might not be ABLE to affect him, so... Flood of Shadows in the real world it is, then.

Nah, she's here because of the handkerchief and is going after Petra. It's bait, placed by Echidna, but I'm not sure why. Some kind of info probably, Satella's motivations?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 3, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I wonder what effect it'd have on someone like Puck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though this arc seems to just be really mean to him.

More so the consequences of the last arc. This arc itself has been relatively kind.