Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So is Satella the half-elf n-word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Clarste posted:

The idea that Emilia is somehow at fault for not tiptoeing around Subaru's feelings is exactly what I'm saying is sexist. It's the double standard we have for women. Quite frankly he didn't deserve any respect at that exact moment, and Emilia should not be faulted for not being a literal saint who would forgive everything he ever does. Yes, she was starting to like him too over their short time together, but not so much as to forgive his asshat parade followed immediately by that outburst. Heck, even if they'd literally been married at that point I'd call that pretty reasonable grounds for a divorce.

Edit: They reconcile later entirely because Subaru has made steps to become a better person.

Toalpaz posted:

I think Emilia was patient enough with Subaru considering she just embarrassed her in front of every one she's trying to impress to literally become queen and he has the status of kitchen aid at the time when he does acts up. She was right and he was being a fool. lol.

It solves him being possessive of her over a period of two weeks that comes off as overly complicated and with no clear motivation which can be creepy from a relationship standpoint. :sever:

There's a reason why Subaru needs to atone to everyone and Emilia doesn't have to do anything to atone or ask for forgiveness. (she didn't do anything wrong)

When you're so afraid of sexism that you say someone is completely in the wrong for calling out racism.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm happy you are able to justify your prejudice.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Gonna copy The Hobbit, only with changed names and alt-Bilbo is a reincarnated NEET from Tokyo.

Need to add a harem or it will never sell.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

To be fair, leaving it out was a good idea when getting a season 2 at all was uncertain (compare almost every other LN anime that does only get 1 season but still leaves in cliffhangers and plot hooks for another season that never happens). It's been like years since then, so it's not exactly unreasonable.

The shows are basically advertisements for the books so it makes sense to do it that way.

Grouchio posted:

White Fox chickened out five seconds before the thing was asked. It will be the first scene of season 2.

I'm guessing we start with the alternate history vignette.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Changes in episode 2 for those curious:

-Held shot of Emilia thinking.
-Held shot of Elsa's rear.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I would guess:

the stuff that got removed from the the other candidates that relates to world background, the stuff about Al and some more about Betelguese's true nature.

Also I'm pretty sure the cliffhanger was already confirmed to be back in.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The end of season one felt conclusive, but Subaru's character arc isn't nearly complete.

And for those interested the only additions in director's cut episode 3 would be elongated shots.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alternatively considering how she and everyone reacts to him after the first loop, there was some capital-S Shenanigans going on. (I'm pretty sure she told him her name was Satella in a public place and there was no reaction from the crowd.)

I haven't read the LN but IIRC in the Anime it's left ambiguous.

It will never stop being hilarious to me that later on Subaru gets roughed up for sticking up for Emilia when her candidacy is announced, yet when he yells "Satella" at her the crowd reacts in sheer horror. Oh fantasy racism, you are too real.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Here's a subbed version of the newest break time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8nMiiU5AE

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

madmac posted:

Shouldn't be fought "over a waterfall" but rather "drove past the waterfall" or in other words established a border of sorts.

It's been mistranslated here and previously in the anime (episode 6) and I know people are touchy about LN stuff so let's just say that The Great Waterfall is a specific location that features into the lore, and as a proper noun it ought to have been capitalized.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
In fairness, this isn't the busiest anime season.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
To put episode 5 and 6 in a timeline:

Episode 5

Night 1 he passes the trial, has the discussion with Garf, Otto and Ryuzu and then talks with Emilia.

Day 1 he talks with Ram about people trying to stop the barrier being broken

Night 2 he talks with Garf as Emilia fails the trial again, then has a discussion with Roswal.

Day 2 he packs up the villagers of Arlam and returns to the mansion, not arriving until the end of the day.

Episode 6

Night 1 passes much the same except Emilia is in the discussion as well and he talks to Roswal about leaving the next day.

Day 1 he quickly leaves in the morning with Ram arriving at the mansion around midday.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So was the stuff up until the title card originally part of episode 6? Calling it "Maiden's Gospel" makes more sense if that were true.
"

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Alrighty. If I can't talk about episodes, then I'll post fanart and memes!

Okay Grouchio, you win the thread.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Watch today's episode

Realize the true devious nature of Grouchio's fanart post of Echidna with accessory.

Listen to the first 10 seconds of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJiG15euUes

Wallow in the despair of Grouchio's complete victory.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Something fun to note is that we've previously heard the name Hoshin from Garfiel's idiom in this episode. It happens to be the same last name of Anastasia Hoshin, one of the candidates to be king.

While some of his sayings are nonsense, some actually are drawn from the lore.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Even if you don't want to reread stuff or read ahead, I think it's worth it to read the side story books. The first one gives the backstory of Felis and Crusch. The second one is about Wilhelm's past during the civil war and actually has a number of connections to the current arc.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The montage is as follows:

Now what would you like to ask me?

About the Witch of Gluttony, Daphne, who created beasts that defied the will of God to save the world from starvation?

About the Witch of Lust, Carmilla, who granted emotions to non-human beings in an attempt to fill the world with love?

About the Witch of Wrath, Minerva, who struck people to heal them as she lamented the state of her war torn world?

About the Witch of Sloth, Sekhmet, who drove a dragon past the Great Waterfall just for a chance to rest?

About the Witch of Pride, Typhon, who, out of youthful innocence and cruelty, judged criminals one after another?

About the Witch of Greed, Echidna, the embodiment of the thirst for knowledge, who has done things she regrets, even in the realm of death, all in the pursuit of all types of knowledge?

Or the Witch of Envy, who killed all the other witches and used them as sustenance while she made the whole world her enemy - the most detestable of them all

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Julias posted:

There's still another cour coming in the winter season, so maybe wait until after that's done.

With how much stuff has been skipped, you ought to be reading the whole series and the side story books as well. That's 16 books to just get to where this episode ends. No better time to get started.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good Lord that's a lot.

They are Light Novels so they aren't too daunting individually.

I will say if you wanted to cut it down to what is absolutely essential to reread what the anime covered I would start at arc 3 since that one cut out quite a bit. Still arc three starts at volume 4 so it's only 3 fewer books.

Regardless, I still recommend you read as you can. The side stories are great for fleshing out side characters and I personally was stunned at some of the stuff that was removed from the anime while reading the mainline books.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Speaking of which, the 13th break time for season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxfbMyqaczY

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Did Ram and Petra perform a fusion dance?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Some rough translating for this episode.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's understandable to be a bit confused.

The translation was a little dodgy and the scene was cut down to the bare bones. Same thing happened in episode 11's beating scene. I've seen people questioning the exact terms of the bet and Roswell not asking some obvious questions. Both things that were laid out in the LN.

The anime is much ambiguous about certain things which can be both a strength and a weakness.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It also came at the price of Subaru destroying his gate and thus being unable to use magic again.

Subaru didn't even win the fight, he only got a couple blows in on an already beaten down Garfiel. Patrasche is the one that came out on top.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Apparently Kadokawa is being dicks and DMCA'ing the Break Time translations. The translator is posting them to google drive, but I'm not sure if linking that is getting into :filez: territory.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Finished the game. It's alright. Don't buy it.

It took approximately 10 hours to 100% so def not worth it per dollar.

If you're still interested you don't really need to worry about spoilers too much. It's an alternate version of the 3rd arc so while there is some stuff that got dropped from the anime there is only one oblique spoiler that comes from the side story books. It's a single throw away line and doesn't really explain anything so you might be fine to play it anyway if you're really interested in what is essentially a 10 hour what if story.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

User0015 posted:

I might be the only one, but I didn't understand anything about this episode. I think I've completely lost the plot on this show. Geuse appearing normal, then acting the way he does when he sees emilia doesn't make sense to me.

We know Fortuna wanted to keep them separate for a reason, though apparently it wasn't a life and death matter. Personally his reaction reminds me quite a bit of Puck's reaction in the Frozen Bonds OVA.

User0015 posted:

I have no idea what the seal is.

:iiam: Though everything around it is frozen, so it's probably very cold.

User0015 posted:

I don't know what subaru's gate magic thing is, what happened to it or why he has ghost hands now.

Gate's are what people use to channel mana and cast spells. Subaru's never had good control of his to the point he had to spend arc 3 at Crusch's house getting treatment from Felix. At the beginning of the season he was told not to use magic again for two months. Breaking that rule caused his gate to shatter meaning he'll never use magic again.

He has ghost hands because after Petelguese died the witch factor he held went into Subaru. We don't know much in the way of specifics about what that is though.

User0015 posted:

In the last moments of the episode, somebody who I do not recognize at all shows up and talks how every shounen antagonist talks before a fight, but apparently I'm supposed to know who that is and I don't.

Rewatch the first episode of the season? He's one of the dudes that attacked Rem and Crusch's caravan.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

User0015 posted:

I honestly forgot any of that even happened. I don't remember what the *point* of that fight was. Was there any point to it at all?

The cult had some method of controlling the whale so they were using it to blockade the highway and isolate Emilia while Petelguese did his thing. From the perspective of the witch cultists it was revenge for killing their pet the White Whale.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Kadokawa has it on their youtube channel, and you can check the comments for translation or you can look up a youtuber channel called Hachiman which has a subtitled version.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Hector stomped young Roswaal so hard he turned him into a clown who imitated him.

Edit: For anyone wondering how Roswaal is alive after 400 years, only the non-adapted WN reveals this: (I return by post-)

It's not explicit, but the second EX novel heavily implies what his deal is.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I don’t need her to pull out a list of prepared questions for Echidna, I just wanted to see some indication that she thinks her past could be important and that she should figure part of it out so her new family isn’t all murdered in the same way.

It happens in the LN Echidna tells her to gently caress off

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Boooo. That’s a crappy cut just because I love how non-plused Echidna is with her. I could watch them being catty to each other for another whole episode.

This season is 25 episodes long. But actually with the number of times that it has skipped the opening or ending it's actually 35 episodes long. They have to make some tough cuts.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also they did mention that one of the witches was a vampire and still was killed.

A vain, unlikable, unusually young witch sure sounds familiar no?

I would guess the the one who is actually named for a vampire.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Not asking for specifics, but are those lines all actual flash forwards, or are some of them taken from the assorted AU routes that have been published for this series?

Some of them are definitely references to the AUs, but that doesn't preclude them from being flash forwards as well.

At this point I think the Greed or Kasaneru AU story is the only one that wouldn't significantly spoil upcoming stuff were you to read them, though I'm not certain of that.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Grouchio posted:

The Greed, Pride, Sloth and Wrath IF stories are all good to go; Envy IF doesn't exist cause it's the canon timeline, Lust IF was written as a bad joke, and the Gluttony IF is DEEP into the 6th Arc.

(I have 5 episodes to catch up to here I am very embarassed)

I'm pretty sure Pride has spoilers involving Regulus, so not that one.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

marumaru posted:

was i the only one who thought it was kinda odd how literally OP character Reinhard couldn't beat Elsa but Garfiel could?

You have it backwards. Reinhard beat her so thoroughly that she realized she had no chance and dipped before her resurrections ran out. Garfiel slowly whittled her down which combined with Meili's presence left her committed beyond the point of no return.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Comarem was still important for the plot, it's hard to write around that. It would also make things more complicated if they get a third season.
So (I presume) they just followed the LN.

About Echidna: So she had actually brown eyes and a slightly longer face?

The description from the LN specifically states that the woman in the coffin is in her mid twenties, and Emilia wonders if she is Echidna's older sister. Echidna in the dream world even states that she died at 19 years of age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
If you just want to read from where the anime ended start at volume 16.

I'd recommend starting in volume 4 though, which is the start of arc 3 which is where the anime started having to really make cuts. Two or three major plot lines were completely dropped from that arc, as well as a lot of smaller things.

And while this episode was completely positive, just like season one it's only because a lot of the plot hooks were dropped to make for a feel good finale.